PDA

View Full Version : Spot Running vs Route Running

The King
09-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I am beginning to think this is a major flaw in our offense. I know in the past we've employed this technique with success, but I think against physical corners and safeties its easy to defend, I also think it puts too much unpredictability on the QB.

We run an offense based on timing and the spot running can be too inconsistent, on one play the receiver can get there in 2 seconds and it could take 4 on the same play later in the game. It just doesn't seem like a option for a professional football team. From what I could see it seemed like Fitz was most comfortable with Chandler, who may have been the only receiver running legit patterns.

Anyone else have any thought on this?

Historian
09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
He's comfortable with Chandler because he's such a tall target for his high throws.

jimmifli
09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I am beginning to think this is a major flaw in our offense. I know in the past we've employed this technique with success, but I think against physical corners and safeties its easy to defend, I also think it puts too much unpredictability on the QB.

We run an offense based on timing and the spot running can be too inconsistent, on one play the receiver can get there in 2 seconds and it could take 4 on the same play later in the game. It just doesn't seem like a option for a professional football team. From what I could see it seemed like Fitz was most comfortable with Chandler, who may have been the only receiver running legit patterns.

Anyone else have any thought on this?

I think it works fine. The scheme isn't the problem.

The problem is that we don't have a counter to the defence's response (press coverage and timing disruption). The obvious counter is the deep ball, but last season we had trouble with protection and arm strength. That was chalked up to injuries and Fitz ribs, but after game one it seems both problems may persist (the Oline looked good but they weren't asked to protect long enough to throw deep).

gebobs
09-10-2012, 09:54 AM
This was the problem with Edwards too. He couldn't hit a receiver on the fly. Fitz has the same problem hitting moving targets.

jimmifli
09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
This was the problem with Edwards too. He couldn't hit a receiver on the fly. Fitz has the same problem hitting moving targets.
Trent had more problems than that. But it certainly was one of them.

Fitz's problem is accuracy and arm strength. And I'm starting to wonder about his ability to read a defence since he is ignoring the middle of the field, which is often a source of longer plays.

The problem with stringing a lot of short plays together is that the probabilities get pretty low.

60% x 60% x60 is only a 21% chance of completing 3 passes in a row. Stringing together all these short passes makes it very improbably that the offense will sustain a drive. The odds can be improved by raising the completion percentage or gaining more yards. To do either of those things you need accuracy,hitting your target will improve your completion percentage. It also allows you to hit the receiver in stride, giving you the opportunity to pick up more yards, which decreases the need to string so many completions together on a drive.

The other option is to throw longer at least some of the time. I saw more play action yesterday than any game I can think of last season. And I think that indicates Chan is comfortable with the Oline's ability to protect Fitz for deeper throws. The scheme makes logical sense, the problem is that once the defence starts sitting on the short routes, Fitz has been unable to answer.

mikemac2001
09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
We had no deep threat due to it being inactive tj graham which makes no sense vs jets unless he is hurt