PDA

View Full Version : Activating Potter and not Graham was...dumb

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Folk kicked 6 of 8 for touchbacks.

Graham is a controversial #3 pick. But he certainly has wheels. Perhaps he doesn't have burst off the line - I dunno. Perhaps he's an easy chuck in the 5 yard allowed zone. His hands? - dunno.

Flood the side, give him a mate, to peel off the hit.

Speed pulls coverage its' way. Decoys work.

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Potter wasn't the problem. He did his job every time.

Should've made Fitz inactive.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
You miss the point...Graham.

kishoph
09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Since they ran very few 4 receiver sets Graham might not even have seen the field (Gailey said he's not ready), the Jets had 1 return out of 6 kicks, did you not see how dangerous kick off and punt returns can be. Just because their kicker only had 2 returns out of 8, does that mean that Lindell would of had the same. Your 1st sentence is not relevant to who the Bills put on the field, unless it was a kick returner and in that case, there would be even less need for Graham seeing there were only 2 returns. Potter is an asset to this team, as Graham will be one day, when he's ready.

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
You miss the point...Graham.
Well hindsight is 20/20.

I don't think Graham would've made much of a difference. Spiller is just as fast and he didn't really do anything to open the passing game (besides a costly fumble).

I don't think Graham would've made a lick of difference in the final score.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Well hindsight is 20/20.

I don't think Graham would've made much of a difference. Spiller is just as fast and he didn't really do anything to open the passing game (besides a costly fumble).

Sticking your rb out as a receiver is a big...big signal to a defense. Graham has wheels.

Potters' kos are just de rigueur, since the rules changes. Lindell could have matched his touchbacks. If not, and if Potter can bang fgs like Lindell, why not keep Potter and axe Lindell?

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Sticking your rb out as a receiver is a big...big signal to a defense. Graham has wheels.What's that signal? That they should back off because their fast guy is getting thrown to? Isn't that the desired effect that Graham would have?

Potters' kos are just de rigueur, since the rules changes. Lindell could have matched his touchbacks. If not, and if Potter can bang fgs like Lindell, why not keep Potter and axe Lindell?I strongly disagree. If Lindell could match the touchbacks, Potter wouldn't be on the team. If Potter could match the FGs Lindell wouldn't be on the team.

That's why they're both there.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 12:46 PM
What's that signal? That they should back off because their fast guy is getting thrown to? Isn't that the desired effect that Graham would have?

I strongly disagree. If Lindell could match the touchbacks, Potter wouldn't be on the team. If Potter could match the FGs Lindell wouldn't be on the team.

That's why they're both there.

Can you recall the last team that was dumb enough to keep 2 kickers on their roster? If ever. I'm sure can't.

Spiller has speed. He's not a wr. He doesn't have the moves, the leaping, the cutting, the experience with initial and downfield db blocking. He wears rb pads and equipment.

NO tried such with Reggie Bush. Didn't work so well there, and Bush now farts around on MIA's roster.

X-Era
09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
No worries, they will both be active from here on out...

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Can you recall the last team that was dumb enough to keep 2 kickers on their roster? If ever. I'm sure can't.The problem is that we have 2 half kickers. I don't hate the decision that much as I think they are both very good at what they do. I think they just want to give Potter an extra year of kicking FGs in practice and then let him take over next year.

Spiller has speed. He's not a wr. He doesn't have the moves, the leaping, the cutting, the experience with initial and downfield db blocking. He wears rb pads and equipment.
He is just as athletic as Graham (if not more). Apparently Graham doesn't have the moves, the cutting, the experience and downfield blocking either. That's why he wasn't playing.

NO tried such with Reggie Bush. Didn't work so well there, and Bush now farts around on MIA's roster.Bush worked out just fine in NO. He averaged 78 catches, 1130 yards (rushing and receiving), and 8 TDs per 16 games with NO.

He doesn't "fart around" on Miami's roster. He had 1400 yards and 7 TDs last year.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 01:43 PM
The problem is that we have 2 half kickers. I don't hate the decision that much as I think they are both very good at what they do. I think they just want to give Potter an extra year of kicking FGs in practice and then let him take over next year.

He is just as athletic as Graham (if not more). Apparently Graham doesn't have the moves, the cutting, the experience and downfield blocking either. That's why he wasn't playing.

Bush worked out just fine in NO. He averaged 78 catches, 1130 yards (rushing and receiving), and 8 TDs per 16 games with NO.

He doesn't "fart around" on Miami's roster. He had 1400 yards and 7 TDs last year.

Bush got numbers on a 6 -10 MIA club.

Spiller has a nice burst. Let's see if he can throw an effective block outside of a 3-step offense.

If Graham wasn't active, if he doesn't have the wr moves, etc., direct blame to the BUF brain trust for drafting him in the 1st place.

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Bush got numbers on a 6 -10 MIA club.He also got numbers on a damn good team in NO.

If Graham wasn't active, if he doesn't have the wr moves, etc., direct blame to the BUF brain trust for drafting him in the 1st place.Sure, but that's not what you said. You said that Graham should be active instead of Potter.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
He also got numbers on a damn good team in NO.

Sure, but that's not what you said. You said that Graham should be active instead of Potter.

Stop mincing. You know what I said. Get the gist, pal.

Activating Potter, let along keeping 2 kickers, is goofy. Let's see: I'm the NYJ DC. Here's my thoughts. "This Graham pick - 3rd? - wow, what were they thinking? But he does has speed. I'll have to factor him in. Potter? well, who doesn't kick touchbacks these days? "

Potter was a non-factor. Graham might have added. Remember Don Bebee?

EDS
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I am sure Graham was the difference between winning and losing . . .

YardRat
09-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Potter wasn't the problem. He did his job every time.

Actually he didn't, his very first kick of the season was returned. That being said, if you're going to carry two kickers with specific responsibilities they both have to be on the active roster, otherwise it's a waste of space.

Well hindsight is 20/20.

Also isn't hindsight. There was criticism of the move as soon as it was announced.

Meathead
09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
they clearly intended to run a play action pass offense and if fitz hadnt delivered two gifts and one td from heaven they would have been fine. the offense was working other than him playing catch with the dbs

i think they likely cut thigpen and go with tj this week, so tj should be active anyway, probably even another wr to replace nelson

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Stop mincing. You know what I said. Get the gist, pal.I'm not mincing. What you originally said and what you're saying now are two different things. You said Chan should've activated Graham, insinuating that he would've made a difference (not likely). If Chan thought he was ready to go, he would've suited up yesterday. Simple as that.

Activating Potter, let along keeping 2 kickers, is goofy. Let's see: I'm the NYJ DC. Here's my thoughts. "This Graham pick - 3rd? - wow, what were they thinking? But he does has speed. I'll have to factor him inDo you REALLY think they would've changed their game plan at ALL had we had Graham active. Hell the DC didn't even know he wasn't active until Saturday. It literally had no effect on how the DC gameplanned. What do you think they would've done had he been in the game? Double teamed him? Played off? Gone to nickel? They weren't going to change a damn thing because Graham hasn't done a damn thing in the NFL.

It's not like DCs will change their game plan over him. They see fast guys all the time. He ran a 4.41 at the combine. CJ ran a 4.37, Smith ran a 4.46, Jones ran 4.49, Nelson ran a 4.54, Martin ran a 4.61, and Stevie ran a 4.65.

No one is shaking in their boots over Graham yet. He's fast, but there are tons of players in the NFL that are fast.

Potter? well, who doesn't kick touchbacks these days? Lindell. That's why Potter is on the team.

Potter was a non-factor. Graham might have added. Remember Don Bebee?How was Potter a non-factor? Last year, the other team started on their 29 yard line (on average), yesterday they started at the 20. That's a big difference (usually).

JoeMama
09-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Folk kicked 6 of 8 for touchbacks.

Graham is a controversial #3 pick. But he certainly has wheels. Perhaps he doesn't have burst off the line - I dunno. Perhaps he's an easy chuck in the 5 yard allowed zone. His hands? - dunno.

Flood the side, give him a mate, to peel off the hit.

Speed pulls coverage its' way. Decoys work.

Why split hairs?

This team even bothering to take the field yesterday was dumb.

They weren't prepared.

ThunderGun
09-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Potters' kos are just de rigueur, since the rules changes. Lindell could have matched his touchbacks.

And you are basing this theory on, what, exactly? Lindell was 27th in the league in Touchbacks last season. He does not have a strong leg. You think kicking from 5 yards closer is going to help him all of a sudden kick touchbacks? Not gonna happen.

If not, and if Potter can bang fgs like Lindell, why not keep Potter and axe Lindell?

If he could, Lindell would be out of a job already. But Lindell is a pretty accurate kicker from close-range. Anything over 45 yards is a crap-shoot with him, but he is pretty consistent from less than 45. I'm in favor of keeping both.

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE]Actually he didn't, his very first kick of the season was returned. That being said, if you're going to carry two kickers with specific responsibilities they both have to be on the active roster, otherwise it's a waste of space.
Sorry, I actually missed the kickoff. I agree with the second point though.

Also isn't hindsight. There was criticism of the move as soon as it was announced.Fine, I still don't think had Graham had the pads on that he would've made a lick of difference. Hell if there's any consolation, it's that we could've saved some injuries by not having to run into guys at full speed an extra 5 times. Knowing our injury history, that probably saved us at least 15 injuries.