PDA

View Full Version : Don't get giddy over Spiller - BUF marketing dream-come-true

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 03:15 PM
He had a couple of nice pops. Against a club with a decent lead, playing defense like a club with a decent lead. In his 3rd year, after being the 9th pick in 2010, he garners 169 yards in a debacle.

Wait for the hype from OBD - BUF is a great running team. Ignore that QB and those WRs behind that curtain. Please forget that the rules make the NFL a passing game. Pay no attention to our pass game problems. Buy those tickets. :$:

Skooby
09-10-2012, 03:19 PM
We're now knocking the only strength from yesterday ?

Meathead
09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
yeah i dont buy it. i think hes for real. hes become so smooth and refreshing, lets face it - its spillertime

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
We're now knocking the only strength from yesterday ?

Preventative medicine.

I don't want folks to fall into that "yeah but we run well" trap. That's akin to teams that crow about things like "we were near tops in pass defense"! as they were run ragged. Next season, the club crows "we look to the future because were tops in run defense!" I.E., why run against these saps? - we can pass them silly.

You know I live in the CIN area - 22 years now. I've lived the baseline. It's shuddering to realize that the BUF and CIN franchises are pretty much in lockstep. :candle:

zone
09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
If you can't see that what Spiller did at the end of last year and again yesterday is not hype then you are blind.

gebobs
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
If you can't see that what Spiller did at the end of last year and again yesterday is not hype then you are blind.
Too bad he's in the wrong system. Gailey goes to Fitz and the pass like he's coaching the Steve Young-led Niners.

kingJofNYC
09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Bengals have made the playoffs a few times in the last decade, they're no longer in lock step, clearly ahead of the game.

As for Spiller, he played well down the stretch last season, more of a trend than an outlier. IF Revis doesn't make the shoestring tackle he probably goes for over 200. That's one thing I noticed last year. Spiller was always a missed tackle away from really breaking the long one, yesterday he broke two.

I'm looking forward to watching him. Seems like a nice guy, never once pouted, says the right thing, hard not to like the guy. You could feel him pressing early in his career, wanted to show what he had immediately, but sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

jdaltroy5
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
So I just want to get this straight.

When Buddy picks ****ty players, it's because he's stupid, and when he picks good players, it's to sell you on some hype.

Alright then.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 03:50 PM

No - you are blind to the business. And the NFL is show business first - make no mistake.

The run game is visceral. The NFL knows it, we know it. A catch for 2 yards followed by a 50 yard YAC is just not the same as a hand-off with the same result

There is no shortage of teams - owners - that pick them to spice up attendance through the years. BUF is a good example...Drafts McGahee (chased out of town but still doing well) with a serviceable Travis Henry in the fold. Drafts Lynch with a serviceable McGahee. Drafts Spiller with a serviceable Lynch. All in the face of an ever-increasing pass-friendly league.

SquishDaFish
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Wow dude you have ISSUES. Matter of fact your Issues have Problems. He was the one bright spot at end of year last year and yesterday. Spiller has been looking damn good.

BuffaloWingEater
09-10-2012, 03:56 PM
He had a couple of nice pops. Against a club with a decent lead, playing defense like a club with a decent lead. In his 3rd year, after being the 9th pick in 2010, he garners 169 yards in a debacle.

Wait for the hype from OBD - BUF is a great running team. Ignore that QB and those WRs behind that curtain. Please forget that the rules make the NFL a passing game. Pay no attention to our pass game problems. Buy those tickets. :$:

you are both wrong and right. spillers 1st td run was when the jets still cared. yes the jets became uninterested, but you don't just get 169 yards by default. plus spiller became legit at the end of last season and proved it again on sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry but we need a groan button :(

BidsJr
09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Spillers patience is about a million times better than when he was a rookie. I expect to see big things out of him if he can stay healthy and hold on to the rock.

BertSquirtgum
09-10-2012, 04:01 PM

This post is a ******.

stuckincincy
09-10-2012, 04:20 PM
This post is a ******.

Go buy those 7 dollar kool-aid beers and shove those 5 dollar tube steaks down your gullet and pay that $20+ parking, stare at the tv ,and tell me about how the NFL is not show biz.

:zonelunch

DynaPaul
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Hey, at least this week we won't lose as bad as last week!

DraftBoy
09-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Im not really sure what the point of this is.

Mahdi
09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Spiller is a very rare athlete. The guy is clearly bigger than last year, he is low to the ground, he has insane short area quickness, elite breakaway speed, also has lightning fast jukes. And that doesn't account for his hands and route running.

The guy could be a hall of fame RB if he stays healthy and the Bills improve offensively.

MikeInRoch
09-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Some of my favorite posts are when someone tells me how I should feel or tell me what "trap" I shouldn't fall into.

stuckincincy
09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Im not really sure what the point of this is.

Pot stirring.

Historian
09-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Spiller has been fun to watch, and at times, I felt like I was rooting for Spiller, as opposed to the team.

I felt so bad for him on that one shoestring tackle. Had he maintained balance he would have cracked 200 on the day. That's very elite territory for a Bills RB.

BertSquirtgum
09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
This cincy guy is pure negativity.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Spiller has been fun to watch, and at times, I felt like I was rooting for Spiller, as opposed to the team.

I felt so bad for him on that one shoestring tackle. Had he maintained balance he would have cracked 200 on the day. That's very elite territory for a Bills RB.

not just for a bills RB, for RB in general!

stuckincincy
09-11-2012, 12:43 PM
This cincy guy is pure negativity.

Yeah -any cursory review of your post history would show you to be like Goody Two Shoes skipping down a garden path plucking flowers. :limpclap:

MTBillsFan
09-11-2012, 01:26 PM
He's learned to follow his blockers and let them clear the way finally. Also, he proved he can't be brought down with arm tackles anymore.

Beebe's Kid
09-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Too bad he's in the wrong system. Gailey goes to Fitz and the pass like he's coaching the Steve Young-led Niners.

Exactly...just like Chandler. Chan hates tight-ends...admittedly not as much as when he didn't have one, but we know he still hates them, and he loves running QBs.

He probably didn't really even sign a contract with the Bills...it was a marketing ploy so that you would buy $7 beers...you need to be above the fray, and only spend 12 hours a day on a message board talking about a team that isn't even the team you really pull for...then you have performed the ultimate mind ****.

stuckincincy
09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Exactly...just like Chandler. Chan hates tight-ends...admittedly not as much as when he didn't have one, but we know he still hates them, and he loves running QBs.

He probably didn't really even sign a contract with the Bills...it was a marketing ploy so that you would buy $7 beers...you need to be above the fray, and only spend 12 hours a day on a message board talking about a team that isn't even the team you really pull for...then you have performed the ultimate mind ****.

Kudos to journeyman Chandler. I was surprised at the number of balls tossed to him, and he did well.

kishoph
09-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Spiller is a threat any time he touches the ball, I would love to start seeing him get 20 touches a game. There were only 4 rushes for more than 40 yds. in week 1 and CJ had 2 of them and was a shoestring tackle away from having another 50 yd. run. I can't see how anyone can try to take away from the talent he has become. As bad as it seems losing Jackson for up to 8 weeks could be, it could be a blessing in disguise if it unleashes Spiller and Gailey takes advantage of it.

Meathead
09-16-2012, 01:36 PM
yeah that spiller guy sucks

Philagape
09-16-2012, 01:40 PM
GIDDY!

superbills
09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
SO, stuckincincy...you were saying? :whistle:

Meathead
09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
GIDDY YUP!!

djjimkelly
09-16-2012, 02:54 PM
spiller is the main man in buffalo

thank god one of our first rounders actually is going to pan out into elite

stuckincincy
09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
SO, stuckincincy...you were saying? :whistle:

It's not what I say that matters. It's next April, When the Bills step up to the podium in the 1st round, all warm and fuzzy if Spiller continued well in 2012, and select ***** *******, who is not a quarterback. :mybills:

zone
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
It's not what I say that matters. It's next April, When the Bills step up to the podium in the 1st round, all warm and fuzzy if Spiller continued well in 2012, and select ***** *******, who is not a quarterback. :mybills:

Well your right about one thing, it doesn't matter what you say.

As always, not sure what the rest means but you made a thread telling everyone "don't get giddy over spiller".

Bulldog
09-16-2012, 07:33 PM

What the hell is this supposed to mean? Is it so hard to admit you were way off on Spiller? If you're going to run your mouth, take some accountability when it blows up in your face.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-17-2012, 05:27 AM

Beebe's Kid
09-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Ha ha ha...you fools are going to fall for the tricks of this front office again? They only made CJ average 10 yards per to get you to buy jerseys.

A couple nice pops, and you all act like good sheeple and say that CJ is doing something special. You will see when they don't draft the right guy in April...and stuckin will laugh maniacally to himself, and if you are lucky, he will tell you in a couple years who that man should have been...then he will mix in a parallel to the perennial powerhouse Bengals, and it will become clear how foolish you have been.

Extremebillsfan247
09-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Funny that you should post this. Were you aware that the Bills over the last 2 seasons are 5-0 when Fitzpatrick has less than 30 throws a game? The Bills philosophy on offense is rapidly changing into a run first team. Spiller has put up a yards per carry average (10.1 ypc over a 2 game period) not seen since 1963. How someone could argue against getting excited about a running back that has put up 192 yards rushing in 2 games is beyond me. CJ Spiller leads all NFL RB's through 2 weeks of play. There's plenty there to get giddy about. Even if you don't like this team or its QB, how could you not be happy for CJ Spiller and what he's doing? Just wondering.

BertSquirtgum
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Wait for the hype from OBD - BUF is a great running team. Ignore that QB and those WRs behind that curtain. Please forget that the rules make the NFL a passing game. Pay no attention to our pass game problems. Buy those tickets. :$:'

I nominate this thread for the worst thread of the year.

BertSquirtgum
09-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Funny that you should post this. Were you aware that the Bills over the last 2 seasons are 5-0 when Fitzpatrick has less than 30 throws a game? The Bills philosophy on offense is rapidly changing into a run first team. Spiller has put up a yards per carry average (10.1 ypc over a 2 game period) not seen since 1963. How someone could argue against getting excited about a running back that has put up 192 yards rushing in 2 games is beyond me. CJ Spiller leads all NFL RB's through 2 weeks of play. There's plenty there to get giddy about. Even if you don't like this team or its QB, how could you not be happy for CJ Spiller and what he's doing? Just wondering.

292 yards in 2 games.

Sammy Avalon
09-17-2012, 01:50 PM

He's been great all of the second half last year. Really no need to bash the only truly good skill player on this team.

stuckincincy
09-18-2012, 08:54 AM

I'm happy with what he has done in these two games. I put up the thread because it is not unusual for a club to hype this or that player who had a spiffy season. Then bypass some other begging need in the draft.

It's in the same ballpark, as when a team's promos for the next season say "We were killer in run defense." Interpretation: They didn't bother to run - we were passed silly. Or, "great pass D." - why bother pass when clubs ran over us at will?

BertSquirtgum
09-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm happy with what he has done in these two games. I put up the thread because it is not unusual for a club to hype this or that player who had a spiffy season. Then bypass some other begging need in the draft.

It's in the same ballpark, as when a team's promos for the next season say "We were killer in run defense." Interpretation: They didn't bother to run - we were passed silly. Or, "great pass D." - why bother pass when clubs ran over us at will?

Just admit that you suck and we will all be happy.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
'

I nominate this thread for the worst thread of the year.

Any thread with that av of yours in it cannot possibly be the worst thread of the year. That av is sending some serious hormones and endorphins rushing to my brain.

stuckincincy
09-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Just admit that you suck and we will all be happy.

It's impossible for you to have a reasonable conversation with an adult, isn't it? :sad:

jdaltroy5
09-18-2012, 09:35 AM

What the?

I don't think I've ever seen an ad for the Buffalo Bills saying, "Come buy tickets! We were killer in run defense last year!"

Of COURSE they're going to hype a good player. This has been happening since the beginning of sports. Good players draw fans in. This isn't some back door revolutionary marketing idea.

What does this have to do with the draft anyway? Are we going to bypass a good QB for a kicker because we have a good RB?

He's a good player. We want good players.

End of story.

zone
09-18-2012, 11:25 AM
It's impossible for you to have a reasonable conversation with an adult, isn't it? :sad:

It is if the "adult" only speaks gibberish.

Philagape
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Who cares who or what they hype? That's what teams do ... promote their best players. CJ certainly has earned it.