PDA

View Full Version : Response to Rodney Harrison

DesertFox24
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
The guy is opinionated and I respect that but I challenge him to remember how the 2003 season started and ended.

Yeah week 1 overreaction and being a hypocrite is what he is doing/is.

Bottom line lets see how bills look against chiefs, if result is the same then we have a problem Houston. I am going to venture it is not going to be the same.

That being said I still think Buffalo is 9-7 barring Fitz can actually be competent, and that is a big IF.

OpIv37
09-11-2012, 08:19 AM
More "exception to prove the rule." Sure, 9 years ago, NE came back from a debacle in the first week to have a great season, but that's the exception. The overwhelming majority of teams that look like crap in every aspect of the game in week 1 turn out to be crap.

Harrison's a dirtbag but he's right until the team proves differently.

DesertFox24
09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
More "exception to prove the rule." Sure, 9 years ago, NE came back from a debacle in the first week to have a great season, but that's the exception. The overwhelming majority of teams that look like crap in every aspect of the game in week 1 turn out to be crap.

I am at work and honestly do not care do the research but there are A LOT of teams over the history of the league that look a lot better than they did week 1.

Other things to consider and not that this is an excuse but we were playing a whole new offensive coaching and had no film. I know us bills fans know a lot about that as the Monday night game against the pats we had a new offense and almost won, and other games.

Look bottom line is it was bad and embarrassing and it was to the jets which compounds it because I hate them more than any other team in all sports combined (I route for Pats 2 times a year and Phins 4 times a year) that is how much I hate the jets. In fact a buddy asked me if the jets winning a game would ensure the bills to go into the playoffs would I route for them and I said I don't know my hatred for them is primal and I am not sure. Given this knowledge I think you can understand how PISSED I was on Sunday.

All that aside the chiefs game will be the indicator, for both our Pass Defense and Fitz I believe.

CoolBreeze
09-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Don't forget, this is a new defense for the Bills, with several new starters.....

DesertFox24
09-11-2012, 08:35 AM
PS I have hated the Jets my whole life, this hatred is B.R hatred (Before Rex) and will always be for eternity.

Not that any of you care but my second hated team is The Gators (grew up in north Florida and Gator fans are why I hate them). Now that Tebow is a Jet and his team beat my team it is like rubbing salt in the wound.

I am getting mad writing this message........................:blowup:

Historian
09-11-2012, 08:41 AM
1981 Season opener: Bills 31 Jets 0

Final standings: Miami 11-4-1
Jets 10-5-1
Bills 10-6

mikemac2001
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Didnt the giants lose week one last year? to the redskins

people want to make a big deal of something that isnt

we didnt show up we didnt get the bounces end of story

OpIv37
09-11-2012, 12:31 PM
I am at work and honestly do not care do the research but there are A LOT of teams over the history of the league that look a lot better than they did week 1.

That's not what I said.

Yes, lots of teams go on to look better than they did in Week 1. But most teams don't look like absolute crap in week 1 (like we just did) go on to amount to anything. I certainly don't expect the Bills to look THAT bad every single game, so they will look better than they did in Week 1. However, teams that play that poorly rarely if ever amount to anything. It's just not realistic to expect a team that friggin horrible to get it together.

- - - Updated - - -

Didnt the giants lose week one last year? to the redskins

people want to make a big deal of something that isnt

we didnt show up we didnt get the bounces end of story

Once again, there's a difference between a loss and an utter ass-kicking where we failed in every aspect of the game. This was more than just a few mistakes and a few bad bounces. It was utter incompetence.

airdog32
09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
This team is pretty simple to figure out! We don't get surprised by very much anymore( except winning). I can at least say that I am still optimistic that this team can put a run together! 0-1 does not mean your season is over! I think the JETS played there hand very close they looked alot better than advertised with BLo's help of course. Once we establish a pass rush things will fall into place.

jdbillsfan
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
My issue with Harrison is that he says that Mario should have taken less to go to a more competitive team, which is fine, but not really after Mario does nothing in the game. Not sure discussing why he went to Buffalo would be a topic after he was non-existent. Buffalo would be a more competitive team, if Mario helped apply pressure to the QB. No accountability. Harrison is a loser.

GingerP
09-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Harrison's comment was more a slight against Fitzpatrick than Williams. He is basically saying Williams should have taken less money to go to a team with a franchise QB because he would have a chance to win while in his prime. He pointed to Jared Allen, who took money in Minnesota but nobody gets to see him play much because he isn't on a competitive team.

Harrison is basically saying Buffalo has no chance to win because they don't have a QB worth a damn. He thinks Williams would be better off with less money but with a team that has a top QB, because he would be able to win. He isn't putting down Williams, he is saying Fitzpatrick sucks.

Can't say I disagree with him.

Meathead
09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
cancel the season its over

jdbillsfan
09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
The timing wasn't great. Mario just had a terrible game. Focus on that. Jared Allen dominates the game, no one gets to see that I guess. No one missed anything from Mario if they didn't watch that game.

Buffalogic
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
We demolished the chiefs week one last year. That didnt really work out for us. It's just one game.

GingerP
09-11-2012, 02:51 PM
At the end of the day, the parade of suckage at the QB position has haunted the Bills for too long. They need to get a talented young QB as the centerpiece of their team. If Harrison is saying that, I agree with him. As for the rest of it, he can suck a lemon.

gebobs
09-11-2012, 03:30 PM
We demolished the chiefs week one last year. That didnt really work out for us. It's just one game.

It didn't bode well for the Chiefs either.

trapezeus
09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
regardless of the stats of what a week 1 start looks like, if the bills ever play a game like that again in the next 4 weeks, people will be writing them off. and more games that they lose with a QB who is the main reason for the struggles, the more and more unlikely it will be for them to be competitive for the East.

There are good teams out there. A good team would be able to rise up in the next two weeks and erase that game. A bad team might win against KC but they'll get into a dog fight, maybe squander leads and kind of manage to get to the end.

If you view each season independently, yes, you can't figure out much about this bills team until you see the next 3 games.
But if you've been a fan for the last 30 years, you know the last 12. You know that this looks and smells like all the rest of them. We've tried every combination of suck so far with t he exception of 0-16. And guess what hte bills are more likely to do before they get into the playoffs.

BillsFever21
09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
The guy is opinionated and I respect that but I challenge him to remember how the 2003 season started and ended.

Yeah week 1 overreaction and being a hypocrite is what he is doing/is.

Bottom line lets see how bills look against chiefs, if result is the same then we have a problem Houston. I am going to venture it is not going to be the same.

That being said I still think Buffalo is 9-7 barring Fitz can actually be competent, and that is a big IF.

I didn't even need to read the rest of this post when you tried to compare this team with the Patriots just because we blew them out in 2003. All credibility on that subject was lost with the first sentence.

The Patriots were proven SB winners the couple years before that and a dynasty in the making who had a bad game to start the season. The Bills are proven losers for not only the previous couple years leading up to this but over the course of the past 12 years. There is a big difference and there is no way you can justify any type of comparison with that game and the start of this season.

If that was the case then you could take any crappy team in the NFL who lost let alone got blown out and never had a chance from the start and you could say the same thing. It's just as bad or worse then people getting too overexcited because of our good start last year and even worse then that still thinking we're a decent team because of it. There are bad teams that get off to a good start every season that fizzle away. Not as bad as we did but either way they still fizzle out.

What we saw Sunday and will see this season is just a continuation of the 2nd half of last season. It won't be as bad as that but we are closer to the team from the 2nd half of last year then we are from the team during the 1st half of the season.

We have a tough schedule to start the season with 6 of our first 9 games on the road along with the 49ers and Texans on the road and the Pats twice all within a 6 week span after these next two games. Does anyone seriously think we have a great chance to maybe win one of them games let alone split with them games and win 2 of them? Very unlikely. We also have games against the Chiefs and Titans which won't be easy either.

If we don't win the next two games then this season will be lost before we get to the easy part of our season. After them 9 games the schedule is easy on paper but if we're 3-6 or maybe even worse as in 2-7 which will be possible if we don't win the next couple games then it could go downhill from there. At the worse we should win 5 of them 9 games since they are easy teams and 5 out of them 7 games will be at home. That will get us to maybe 7 wins give or take and many homers will think we're on the upside going into next season and we need to keep the status quo.

If we start off real bad though anything can happen and we might not even win that many of the remaining games. If we're sitting there playing horrible with at least twice as many losses after our first nine games it can spiral downhill from there after many of the players lose any confidence they may have had left.

DynaPaul
09-11-2012, 08:21 PM
One positive thing is that this team now knows that it isn't all that. Yeah, training camp and preseason may get these guys thinking that they're going to be hot on the field but that first game brought them all crashing down to reality. Now it's time to REALLY get to work and play a REAL game. These next few weeks will be telling. If they come out and play great we'll have a good season but if we see the same blunders all over again you can stick a fork in them by week 8.

BillsFever21
09-11-2012, 08:43 PM
One positive thing is that this team now knows that it isn't all that. Yeah, training camp and preseason may get these guys thinking that they're going to be hot on the field but that first game brought them all crashing down to reality. Now it's time to REALLY get to work and play a REAL game. These next few weeks will be telling. If they come out and play great we'll have a good season but if we see the same blunders all over again you can stick a fork in them by week 8.

Unless we can go at least 3-1 against the Chiefs, Browns, Titans and Cardinals it may not matter anyway. Our schedule is easy after week 9 but with 2 games against the Pats and road games against the Texans and San Fran we will be lucky to win any of them games. Even if we go 3-1 in the other games that still puts us 3-6 after that point in the season.

The Browns are the only real bad team during the span. The Chiefs and Titans are decent teams and the Cardinals won't be a piece of cake especially on the road. We have to hope to win three of them and hopefully get lucky in one of the other 4 games just to be 4-5 after 9 games. Even if all that falls into place I don't have faith that this team can play consistently enough to finish 6-1 the rest of the season even with an easy schedule to win 10 games and contend for a playoff spot. It's definitely the tale of two schedules in the 1st half and the 2nd half of the season.

If we had a decent QB, coaching staff and team that could beat some top level teams and weather the storm the first 9 games and go 5-4 we would be set up pretty good the 2nd half of the season. Five of our last seven games are at home and none of them teams are very good. A couple average teams but nothing spectacular. We would be set up pretty good to finally make the playoffs again if we were a competent and consistent team every week that could win road games consistently especially against the league's best teams. I just don't see us beating the Pats, San Fran or Houston on the road or winning the other Pats game. Any win in the division is an achievement for this team.

jimmifli
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
The overwhelming majority of teams that look like crap in every aspect of the game in week 1 turn out to be crap.
I don't think we can honestly evaluate the rest of the team in a game where all the excitement of the off season, and the itself game was literally thrown away in the first quarter.

OpIv37
09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't think we can honestly evaluate the rest of the team in a game where all the excitement of the off season, and the itself game was literally thrown away in the first quarter.
Sorry but fitz's bad passes don't make our CB's or LB's any better. They don't make our STers suddenly learn to tackle. They don't make our defensive coordinator suddenly start using stunts or blitzes to get pressure. They don't make our O any less predictable.

And the bad passes are going to continue because that's just who Fitz is.

This team just sucks. It starts with Fitz but it certainly doesn't end there.

Mike
09-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Also, that Pats team was already a winner! The Bills havent won anything this decade