PDA

View Full Version : The "Sympathy card" needs to be played to the local wealthy

Skooby
09-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Ralph is ill & the team needs a new venue / owner for future success. It's going to become harder & harder to sell a losing product to the masses, the local wealthy need to step up & help the town here. The current situation is not going to get better, nor will Ralph magically decide to hire a competant management / coaching staff. What we have is what we're stuck with until something drastic happens.

A fresh sale with the promise of a future site in-line would keep the team in town, while Ralph is still alive. Otherwise I feel a different ending is inevitable.

OpIv37
09-11-2012, 11:11 PM
If by "sell to the masses," you mean the fan base/taxpayers, I disagree. No matter how bad the team does, the political risk of being the guy who let the team leave town is far greater than being the guy who used taxpayer money on a stadium for a **** team.

gebobs
09-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Local wealthy?

Let's see...you have the Jacobs. They aren't at all about investing locally.

The Riches have said that they aren't in the market.

Who else is there?

Skooby
09-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Local wealthy?

Let's see...you have the Jacobs. They aren't at all about investing locally.

The Riches have said that they aren't in the market.

Who else is there?

Billionaire that owns the Sabres??

If by "sell to the masses," you mean the fan base/taxpayers, I disagree. No matter how bad the team does, the political risk of being the guy who let the team leave town is far greater than being the guy who used taxpayer money on a stadium for a **** team.

You watched Green Bay lately?

Historian
09-12-2012, 04:49 AM
And on the news last night, they talked about some group that wants to build a new stadium where the Perry Projects currently sit.

Imaging the bodies they would find during escavation, lol.

Skooby
09-12-2012, 07:57 AM
And on the news last night, they talked about some group that wants to build a new stadium where the Perry Projects currently sit.

Imaging the bodies they would find during escavation, lol.

Its a mass grave, that's for sure.

OpIv37
09-12-2012, 08:09 AM
You watched Green Bay lately?
If you're talking about making the team community-owned like GB, it can't be done. The league changed the rules. GB is grandfathered in but no other team is allowed to do it.

Skooby
09-12-2012, 08:24 AM
If you're talking about making the team community-owned like GB, it can't be done. The league changed the rules. GB is grandfathered in but no other team is allowed to do it.

A 50 + year franchise seems like a good candidate for grandfathering.

OpIv37
09-12-2012, 08:25 AM
A 50 + year franchise seems like a good candidate for grandfathering.

They were grandfathered in because they did it before the rule change. The age of the franchise has no bearing on it whatsoever.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Billionaire that owns the Sabres??
OK. I thought when you said local you meant locally resident.

Skooby
09-12-2012, 06:26 PM
OK. I thought when you said local you meant locally resident.

No troubles.