• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

The harsh reality is looming

Truth be told I'm holding my breath all week. While the blitz hasn't quite begun to bury yet another Bills team -- this time only one week in -- the fans and media have eight men in the box and are looking fierce. I still want to think the team will be alright. Seasons for me are small sample sizes; what might I think about games? Many objective and good football minds backed the Bills this year. Ignore the ugly opener and stay calm, keep quiet, no sudden movements. Right? It's one game.

But.

No matter how good a mood you can talk yourself into about these guys, no matter how much you've figured Mario Williams' killer body and Ryan Fitzpatrick's big brain and the Nix/Gailey Southern swagger would add up to a playoff season, the long view remains that the Buffalo Bills really shouldn't be any good at all.

Because if you don't draft well, or hire top-flight coaches and executives, or luck into the best quarterback in the draft, or do some combination of these things, then how good can you be?

Think about it. Their most important players are men other teams didn't want -- and that includes Williams. The Bills may be the only team in the NFL with only quarterbacks that have been dumped twice -- and that doesn't include the departed Vince Young, who also fits. Not only were Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen and Tarvaris Jackson ejected by two other franchises, look at the quality of those teams. The Bills' players at the sport's most important position are men the Rams, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins and Seahawks didn't want.
    Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • BertSquirtgum
    • May 2009

Re: The harsh reality is looming

Bills stank. Go Bills.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

All I can say is we have some work to do this week.
      Last edited by Skooby; 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
        • Jan 2010

NEVER GIVE UP BABY! well, at some point you should...lol

Comment

• BillsFever21
          • Aug 2004

I think this is the first time ever I wasn't furious from head to toe watching the game during our first loss of the season. It felt so much like just an extension of the 2nd half of last season all I could do is shake my head and and at certain points laugh(not in a good way) at how bad we were. That usually doesn't happen until around midseason or so when we are just about mathematically out of it already and totally proven how bad we are. We were so bad from the first snap of the game it wasn't even a contest. Basically like most of the games last year after we started 5-2.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Even when I'm mad during a game I still enjoy watching it till it gets to that point in the season. It will be horrible if this is mostly a wasted season from the very start.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

I was more angry at Sunday's game than I've been in a long time. Why? Because against my better judgment, I bought in to Russ Brandon's marketing machine. I thought we actually had a realistic shot at the playoffs this year, for the first time in ages. Usually I'm smarter and more cynical than that.

I swear, this fan base consists of a bunch of battered women. We keep going back home saying "this time, it will be different." And it is..... For two or three days until we wake up in the hospital eating through a straw because we got kicked down a flight of stairs. Again.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              I was more angry at Sunday's game than I've been in a long time. Why? Because against my better judgment, I bought in to Russ Brandon's marketing machine. I thought we actually had a realistic shot at the playoffs this year, for the first time in ages. Usually I'm smarter and more cynical than that.

I swear, this fan base consists of a bunch of battered women. We keep going back home saying "this time, it will be different." And it is..... For two or three days until we wake up in the hospital eating through a straw because we got kicked down a flight of stairs. Again.
              It's a 12 year flight of stairs, which obviously means you've been to the ATL airport.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Feb 2005

an NFL season is played in quarters IMO. the first quarter (the first 4 games) has just begun. We started slow. I am willing to wait 8 games to see where we are at. If we are at the half way point of the season and under .500 with the schedule we have then I will worry. Right now I am pretty patient still. Everyone knew this is what Ryan Fitzpatrick was. Even in his good games last season the receivers had to catch inaccurately throw balls. He is an average QB with an above average football IQ. He can't make all the throws and he tries to overcompensate and force them. at best I think we all knew wild card is the best Fitz can do with this team. I am not going to panic till I see where we are at half way through the season. As long as we stay above .500 there is life still. If you expected more from this team it was really wishful thinking as this is the exact same offense and players that by mid season every defense had figured out how to defend last year. We added ZERO talent to our offense and honestly with the lack of talent at receiver on this club I would say we have a little less offensive talent this season. If our defense steps up and we can average around 21 points a game between turnovers/promising running game/and NOT relying on Fitz too heavy we should be okay by the end of the season or at least playing for the playoffs in meaning full games in December.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jimbohastle51 View Post
                  an NFL season is played in quarters IMO. the first quarter (the first 4 games) has just begun. We started slow. I am willing to wait 8 games to see where we are at. If we are at the half way point of the season and under .500 with the schedule we have then I will worry. Right now I am pretty patient still. Everyone knew this is what Ryan Fitzpatrick was. Even in his good games last season the receivers had to catch inaccurately throw balls. He is an average QB with an above average football IQ. He can't make all the throws and he tries to overcompensate and force them. at best I think we all knew wild card is the best Fitz can do with this team. I am not going to panic till I see where we are at half way through the season. As long as we stay above .500 there is life still. If you expected more from this team it was really wishful thinking as this is the exact same offense and players that by mid season every defense had figured out how to defend last year. We added ZERO talent to our offense and honestly with the lack of talent at receiver on this club I would say we have a little less offensive talent this season. If our defense steps up and we can average around 21 points a game between turnovers/promising running game/and NOT relying on Fitz too heavy we should be okay by the end of the season or at least playing for the playoffs in meaning full games in December.
                  The piece I think a lot of you are missing is that it isn't just Fitz. We were utterly incompetent in all phases of the game. That isn't just going to go away, regardless of what Fitz does.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Marcala12
                    • Aug 2012

Our three corners consist of a waste of space (Leodis), and then a rookie and a second year player. I don't know why we all just assumed that our secondary would be good, as if Williams and Gilmore were locks to be solid corners right off the bat. That was wishful thinking; i think the secondary is going to be rough this year and most of us knew the LB's were well below average. The d-line will be fine, but all in all i think we're hoping to have an average defense this year at best. And with one of the worst starting qb's, an average defense just isn't enough to cut it.
                    Somebody over at another sports forum is insane. He's a fat-ass who has nothing better to do than run a site like he's some type of powerful person when everyone knows that he's a worthless person. Banning people with no explanation when they simply ask a pertinant question in a chatroom? He removes 1000's of threads that have real meaning to people without so much as an explanation. He barely has a pot to piss in, so his only shot of exerting power in his whole life is to act like an internet Hitler. The funny thing is EVERYONE talks so much s*** about the guy behind his back in Pm's etc. because everyone hates him.

PM ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS IN other sports sites - tell them BillsZone is where it's at. BillsZone has a chance to be everything that the other site should have been, but couldn't be because that other guy is so insane.

Comment

• kishoph
                      • Jun 2003

The piece I think a lot of you are missing is that it isn't just Fitz. We were utterly incompetent in all phases of the game. That isn't just going to go away, regardless of what Fitz does.

The offensive line, the running game and the run defense were all far from incompetent, the receivers also played a good game. Turning the ball over 4 times and giving up a 70 yd. punt return is not putting your defense in much of a position to succeed.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

This is why I feel Ryan Fitzpatrick is done in Buffalo. Bills fans have been suffering through 12 years of misery. This offseason things were done that many felt were enough to make the Bills a playoff team at last. The Bills even pushed how Fitzpatrick will be better this year because he was injured in the second half of last year and coach Lee will correct the mechanics of Fitzpatrick. While many players had bad games last week we know they can play better and it could be a playoff team except for Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick's play last week dashed these hopes and his play is the biggest reason why this team will not make the post season after all the hype. With 12 years of bottled up frustration many fans realize Fitzpatrick will never lead any team to the playoffs thus he has a huge target on him. Every mistake he makes will be met with boos and jeers at home games much like Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards towards the end of their stint with Buffalo.
                        Last edited by don137; 09-12-2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                          The offensive line, the running game and the run defense were all far from incompetent, the receivers also played a good game. Turning the ball over 4 times and giving up a 70 yd. punt return is not putting your defense in much of a position to succeed.
                          playing well against the run doesn't matter if you can't defend the pass or get to the QB. Other teams will run just enough to keep the D honest, which is exactly what the Jets did.

And having a good running game doesn't matter if you can't pass the ball enough to keep other teams from putting 8 in the box, or if your ****ty pass D gets you in a 21 point hole and you have to play catch- up.

And what makes you think the turnovers are going to go away?
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• GingerP
                            • Aug 2012

My God, that was a depressing article.

This one was particularly a kick in the nuts:

Not only were Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen and Tarvaris Jackson ejected by two other franchises, look at the quality of those teams. The Bills' players at the sport's most important position are men the Rams, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins and Seahawks didn't want.
                            The Bills have paid Fitzpatrick $21.2M for 2011 & 2012. Think about that, because that is about what Aaron Rodgers averages on his new contract.

Including Young's dead money, the Bills will spend $11,850,000 in cash on the QB position this year. You should be able to buy a real QB for that kind of money.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                              • Sep 2003

Name one that was available this offseason for that amount of money.
                              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

Working...
                              X