PDA

View Full Version : The harsh reality is looming

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Truth be told I'm holding my breath all week. While the blitz hasn't quite begun to bury yet another Bills team -- this time only one week in -- the fans and media have eight men in the box and are looking fierce. I still want to think the team will be alright. Seasons for me are small sample sizes; what might I think about games? Many objective and good football minds backed the Bills this year. Ignore the ugly opener and stay calm, keep quiet, no sudden movements. Right? It's one game.

But.

No matter how good a mood you can talk yourself into about these guys, no matter how much you've figured Mario Williams' killer body and Ryan Fitzpatrick's big brain and the Nix/Gailey Southern swagger would add up to a playoff season, the long view remains that the Buffalo Bills really shouldn't be any good at all.

Because if you don't draft well, or hire top-flight coaches and executives, or luck into the best quarterback in the draft, or do some combination of these things, then how good can you be?

Think about it. Their most important players are men other teams didn't want -- and that includes Williams. The Bills may be the only team in the NFL with only quarterbacks that have been dumped twice -- and that doesn't include the departed Vince Young, who also fits. Not only were Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen and Tarvaris Jackson ejected by two other franchises, look at the quality of those teams. The Bills' players at the sport's most important position are men the Rams, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins and Seahawks didn't want.

http://wgr550.com/SCHOPP--The-harsh-reality-is-looming/14209425

BertSquirtgum
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Bills stank. Go Bills.

Skooby
09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
All I can say is we have some work to do this week.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-11-2012, 09:45 PM
NEVER GIVE UP BABY! well, at some point you should...lol

BillsFever21
09-11-2012, 09:56 PM
I think this is the first time ever I wasn't furious from head to toe watching the game during our first loss of the season. It felt so much like just an extension of the 2nd half of last season all I could do is shake my head and and at certain points laugh(not in a good way) at how bad we were. That usually doesn't happen until around midseason or so when we are just about mathematically out of it already and totally proven how bad we are. We were so bad from the first snap of the game it wasn't even a contest. Basically like most of the games last year after we started 5-2.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Even when I'm mad during a game I still enjoy watching it till it gets to that point in the season. It will be horrible if this is mostly a wasted season from the very start.

OpIv37
09-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I was more angry at Sunday's game than I've been in a long time. Why? Because against my better judgment, I bought in to Russ Brandon's marketing machine. I thought we actually had a realistic shot at the playoffs this year, for the first time in ages. Usually I'm smarter and more cynical than that.

I swear, this fan base consists of a bunch of battered women. We keep going back home saying "this time, it will be different." And it is..... For two or three days until we wake up in the hospital eating through a straw because we got kicked down a flight of stairs. Again.

Skooby
09-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I was more angry at Sunday's game than I've been in a long time. Why? Because against my better judgment, I bought in to Russ Brandon's marketing machine. I thought we actually had a realistic shot at the playoffs this year, for the first time in ages. Usually I'm smarter and more cynical than that.

I swear, this fan base consists of a bunch of battered women. We keep going back home saying "this time, it will be different." And it is..... For two or three days until we wake up in the hospital eating through a straw because we got kicked down a flight of stairs. Again.

It's a 12 year flight of stairs, which obviously means you've been to the ATL airport.

jimbohastle51
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
an NFL season is played in quarters IMO. the first quarter (the first 4 games) has just begun. We started slow. I am willing to wait 8 games to see where we are at. If we are at the half way point of the season and under .500 with the schedule we have then I will worry. Right now I am pretty patient still. Everyone knew this is what Ryan Fitzpatrick was. Even in his good games last season the receivers had to catch inaccurately throw balls. He is an average QB with an above average football IQ. He can't make all the throws and he tries to overcompensate and force them. at best I think we all knew wild card is the best Fitz can do with this team. I am not going to panic till I see where we are at half way through the season. As long as we stay above .500 there is life still. If you expected more from this team it was really wishful thinking as this is the exact same offense and players that by mid season every defense had figured out how to defend last year. We added ZERO talent to our offense and honestly with the lack of talent at receiver on this club I would say we have a little less offensive talent this season. If our defense steps up and we can average around 21 points a game between turnovers/promising running game/and NOT relying on Fitz too heavy we should be okay by the end of the season or at least playing for the playoffs in meaning full games in December.

OpIv37
09-11-2012, 10:58 PM
an NFL season is played in quarters IMO. the first quarter (the first 4 games) has just begun. We started slow. I am willing to wait 8 games to see where we are at. If we are at the half way point of the season and under .500 with the schedule we have then I will worry. Right now I am pretty patient still. Everyone knew this is what Ryan Fitzpatrick was. Even in his good games last season the receivers had to catch inaccurately throw balls. He is an average QB with an above average football IQ. He can't make all the throws and he tries to overcompensate and force them. at best I think we all knew wild card is the best Fitz can do with this team. I am not going to panic till I see where we are at half way through the season. As long as we stay above .500 there is life still. If you expected more from this team it was really wishful thinking as this is the exact same offense and players that by mid season every defense had figured out how to defend last year. We added ZERO talent to our offense and honestly with the lack of talent at receiver on this club I would say we have a little less offensive talent this season. If our defense steps up and we can average around 21 points a game between turnovers/promising running game/and NOT relying on Fitz too heavy we should be okay by the end of the season or at least playing for the playoffs in meaning full games in December.

The piece I think a lot of you are missing is that it isn't just Fitz. We were utterly incompetent in all phases of the game. That isn't just going to go away, regardless of what Fitz does.

Marcala12
09-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Our three corners consist of a waste of space (Leodis), and then a rookie and a second year player. I don't know why we all just assumed that our secondary would be good, as if Williams and Gilmore were locks to be solid corners right off the bat. That was wishful thinking; i think the secondary is going to be rough this year and most of us knew the LB's were well below average. The d-line will be fine, but all in all i think we're hoping to have an average defense this year at best. And with one of the worst starting qb's, an average defense just isn't enough to cut it.

kishoph
09-12-2012, 04:49 AM
The piece I think a lot of you are missing is that it isn't just Fitz. We were utterly incompetent in all phases of the game. That isn't just going to go away, regardless of what Fitz does.

The offensive line, the running game and the run defense were all far from incompetent, the receivers also played a good game. Turning the ball over 4 times and giving up a 70 yd. punt return is not putting your defense in much of a position to succeed.

don137
09-12-2012, 06:26 AM

This is why I feel Ryan Fitzpatrick is done in Buffalo. Bills fans have been suffering through 12 years of misery. This offseason things were done that many felt were enough to make the Bills a playoff team at last. The Bills even pushed how Fitzpatrick will be better this year because he was injured in the second half of last year and coach Lee will correct the mechanics of Fitzpatrick. While many players had bad games last week we know they can play better and it could be a playoff team except for Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick's play last week dashed these hopes and his play is the biggest reason why this team will not make the post season after all the hype. With 12 years of bottled up frustration many fans realize Fitzpatrick will never lead any team to the playoffs thus he has a huge target on him. Every mistake he makes will be met with boos and jeers at home games much like Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards towards the end of their stint with Buffalo.

OpIv37
09-12-2012, 07:04 AM
The offensive line, the running game and the run defense were all far from incompetent, the receivers also played a good game. Turning the ball over 4 times and giving up a 70 yd. punt return is not putting your defense in much of a position to succeed.

playing well against the run doesn't matter if you can't defend the pass or get to the QB. Other teams will run just enough to keep the D honest, which is exactly what the Jets did.

And having a good running game doesn't matter if you can't pass the ball enough to keep other teams from putting 8 in the box, or if your ****ty pass D gets you in a 21 point hole and you have to play catch- up.

And what makes you think the turnovers are going to go away?

GingerP
09-12-2012, 07:08 AM
My God, that was a depressing article.

This one was particularly a kick in the nuts:

Not only were Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen and Tarvaris Jackson ejected by two other franchises, look at the quality of those teams. The Bills' players at the sport's most important position are men the Rams, Bengals, Chiefs, Dolphins and Seahawks didn't want.

The Bills have paid Fitzpatrick $21.2M for 2011 & 2012. Think about that, because that is about what Aaron Rodgers averages on his new contract.

Including Young's dead money, the Bills will spend $11,850,000 in cash on the QB position this year. You should be able to buy a real QB for that kind of money.

MikeInRoch
09-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Name one that was available this offseason for that amount of money.

DMBcrew36
09-12-2012, 08:33 AM
I think this is the first time ever I wasn't furious from head to toe watching the game during our first loss of the season. It felt so much like just an extension of the 2nd half of last season all I could do is shake my head and and at certain points laugh(not in a good way) at how bad we were. That usually doesn't happen until around midseason or so when we are just about mathematically out of it already and totally proven how bad we are. We were so bad from the first snap of the game it wasn't even a contest. Basically like most of the games last year after we started 5-2.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Even when I'm mad during a game I still enjoy watching it till it gets to that point in the season. It will be horrible if this is mostly a wasted season from the very start.

Yeah ... usually the Bills make it a little interesting before they collapse and assure us again of how bad the organization really is. Maybe we get to see what losers they really are right off the bat this year.

GingerP
09-12-2012, 08:55 AM

You miss the point. They are paying for good QB play and not getting it. Arizona is in a similar situation. It is depressing to think they are paying good money for QBs, and they all suck in a highly-efficient manner. I don't know the answer and I am not being paid to find one, but they don't know either and are.

It isn't just that they didn't go out and get a QB this offseason. It is that they haven't developed a good QB since Kelly. They traded for guys, drafted guys, signed guys. The last time they got and developed one into something was Kelly. That is what they need to do. Don't sell me Fitzpatrick.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 09:25 AM
That doesn't excuse the Bills for paying out the wazoo for what they have.

MikeInRoch
09-12-2012, 09:25 AM
You miss the point. They are paying for good QB play and not getting it.

What you said was:

You should be able to buy a real QB for that kind of money.

My comment is that no, you can't necessarily buy a real QB for that kind of money. I'm not disagreeing with most of your point, and I'm far from sold on Fitzpatrick. I think part of the problem is that 32 "real" QBs don't actually exist.

Historian
09-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Maybe someone could coax Steve DeBerg or Dave Krieg to come out of retirement...

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2012, 09:44 AM
The longest running sitcom continues

gebobs
09-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Maybe someone could coax Steve DeBerg or Dave Krieg to come out of retirement...
:-) Maybe Krieg can coax his former coach, Chuck Knox, to come too!

GingerP
09-12-2012, 11:58 AM
What you said was:

My comment is that no, you can't necessarily buy a real QB for that kind of money. I'm not disagreeing with most of your point, and I'm far from sold on Fitzpatrick. I think part of the problem is that 32 "real" QBs don't actually exist.

The point is they are paying for it and not getting it. It is bad enough they don't have an answer at QB, but they are paying like they do. That is the point, they are paying crap like it is a real QB.

I'm not saying it is easy to find a QB in the NFL. Half the franchises need a QB. That said, you would think the Bills would have found one in the last 3 decades or so.

trapezeus
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM

disagree.. defense was servicable in the first 2 drives. got a turnover, short field and the QB turns it over. they now let up a touchdown. Next drive, another int. short field. then a punt return. all in the first 2 minutes of the 2nd.

That's a lot of time for a d to be on the field.

i hated the DB placements and how wide open receivers were. but they have some upside.

the offense was on fitz. they have a run game. against a good defense, they ran well. but they have no option to stretch the field with the WRs and QB.

and of course there is the lack of depth everywhere that will cause injuries to just mount up.

this season is looking like the longest one yet. and you know they are going to win the last 4 to drop in the draft standings.

MattyNH
09-12-2012, 12:32 PM
It's false to say other teams did not want Williams. It was a cost-benefit situation, there is no doubt the Bills overpaid however IMO. You could say the same thing about Drew Brees and San Diego, how has that worked out?