X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Maybe the Jets are just REALLY good?

Anyone thought of that? They have talent. They have coaching. Is it possible that the Jets are just a REALLY good football team right now? Given that they had 3 months to prepare for Buffalo... is it possible they are just better than us?

Maybe I am getting numbed to the loss... but if we come out and dominate KC.. I think we will be OK.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Maybe the Jets are just REALLY good?

No, they aren't.

Sanchez sucks under pressure. But we ran no blitzes or even stunts, so we got nowhere near him. This is a coaching and talent problem with the Bills, not the Jets. Our CB's were out of position all day. That's on our defenders, not the Jets.

Fitzpatrick threw 3 picks, at least two of which (and arguably all 3) were easy INT's that most DB's in the league would have made without a problem. The offensive playcalling was predictable.

We gave up a punt return for a TD.

Saying "the Jets have talent" is just a cop-out. This is a parity-driven league in the age of the salary cap, and there is no reason to EVER get beaten down that badly.

Oh, and btw, the Jets are in our division. So if they really are that good, then we're ****ed anyway, because we already have the Pats to deal with.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

Yes the Jets had a good game played better then they expected that still does excuse Fitzpatrick and his inability to be an effective NFL QB. Fitzpatrick still has a slow delivery, weak arm, throws when the receiver gets open and not to a spot and makes boneheaded plays. That will never change.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

I think it probably lies somewhere in the middle.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

Maybe the Bills are just REALLY bad?
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• jdaltroy5
            • Aug 2012

They just had a really good game plan. They rarely had any plays that lasted more than 2 or 3 seconds. They knew our DL was an advantage so they neutralized it by not even giving them the time to get there. To top it off, we weren't even trying to throw their timing off by bumping at the line.

They also spread their guys out wide because they know that Fitz doesn't throw to the middle of the field.

Look at Fitz's picks, IIRC, they were all to the outside. Cro even said that he knew that Fitz throws outside a lot so he sat back and waited for it.

I don't think they're THAT good, I just think they were prepared and we weren't. We also continued to do the things that weren't working and failed to adjust accordingly on defense.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

They're not that good, our gameplan was vanilla.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                No, they aren't.

Sanchez sucks under pressure. But we ran no blitzes or even stunts, so we got nowhere near him. This is a coaching and talent problem with the Bills, not the Jets. Our CB's were out of position all day. That's on our defenders, not the Jets.

Neither club had a sack. I'm surprised Sanchez didn't suffer a few - I've seen him duck to the ground numerous times when the heat got close. Wanny's scheme notwithstanding, you have to send in a blitzer now and then, if only to to get the other team to be wary. PIT@DEN was a good example - on one play, Polamalu was feigning a blitz, backing out, then back in, then out. Manning ended up burning a time-out, IIRC.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ed
                  • Sep 2002

I think the Jets D is very good, so seeing CJ make some big plays and our O-line play well for the most part is encouraging. I didn't expect Fitz to have a big day passing, but I didn't expect such bad INT's either.

I think the Jets O on the other hand is average at best and the Bills once again made Sanchez look great. They don't have anyone special at RB, they have issues on the right side of their line, and outside of Santonio Holmes they don't have any other proven or dependable playmakers. I was pretty disappointed in our defense. Can't really make any excuses for them based on the opponent.

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

No team with Mark Sanchez at QB is that good.

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride View Post
                      Anyone thought of that? They have talent. They have coaching. Is it possible that the Jets are just a REALLY good football team right now? Given that they had 3 months to prepare for Buffalo... is it possible they are just better than us?

Not only possible but probable. That does not mean they are a good team.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                        • Jul 2002

What the Jets game showed us is that we're not ready to compete with the better teams in the NFL.
                        I don't care if they beat KC because it means nothing. I'm not satisfied with beating a team less than or equal to us as KC is. I'm not going to be satisfied if we win 9 games & make the playoffs if every team we beat is horrible & the only reason we make it is because we managed to get the easiest schedule in the league.
                        The goal is to win the Championship and we're not close at all to that goal. We have 1 NFL receiver; no starting caliber QB; questions on the OL, but more important impending free agents on that line; and a young secondary that didn't live up to their hype in game 1.
                        If the Bills make the playoffs this year, get trounced in the wildcard game, Chan gets an extention & then we win 3 games next year, I'm going to be sick. But there's a real possibility that's where we're headed.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                          chop chop
                          • Jun 2003

The OP's name is quite befitting.
                          Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

Well, I don't think the Jets are terrible. Rex Ryan has a very good defensive mind, and he's got the talent to make his defensive schemes work. Mark Sanchez is a decent QB and they have speed at WR. They have an excelent receiving TE, but i don't think he played Sunday due to injury. The thing is, the Bills allegedly experienced a major upgrade in talent over the offseason, and Buddy Nix has had three years to upgrade the talent level of the team. Theoretically, if Nix has been successful, that should be long enough to close the talent gap with the best teams in the league.

The Jets supposedly had problems at offensive tackle that would enable Buffalo to put pressure on Sanchez with their allegedly elite defensive line. Obviously, that didn't happen. Moreover, Buffalo's supposedly very good secondary couldn't cover anybody. Granted, Aaron Williams has had a rough preseason, and was thought to be a potential weak link, but nobody in the secondary could cover anybody for the Jets.

If I were to choose which was a bigger factor in the loss, the quality of the Jets or the ineptitude of the Bills, I'm voting the ineptitude of the Bills all the way.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

No one has talked about Stevies groin either (lol)

If he can't run those quick slants, and cut like normal, there's half your passing game down the pooper.

Comment

Working...
                              X