PDA

View Full Version : Why is the season "over"?

buffalobillsfan95
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
We lost one of our 16 games. You don't have to have the best record to win a Super Bowl!
Ask the patriots and greenbay. We killed Kansas city last year and they ended up almost turning it around.

If we beat Kansas city then everyone will be back on the bandwagon. So why ***** about just 1 game

I also noticed that on defense that it wasn't so much playing bad, but the front 4 not getting pressure which made our kinda cover 2 defense streadable . It also didn't help that Sanchez played great.

There are a few games a year that you just get flat out beat but how you react to those beatings is how we will do and the bills seem pretty calm and confident

Historian
09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
It's not over.

Its just that we were (again) dominated by a division opponent, and have not showed any improvement over last year, except on paper.

Now, two star players are injured, so....

jimmifli
09-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Our QB sucked. He sucked last year too. But we held out hope that it was due to an unreported rib injury.

It turns out he just sucks. Even if we somehow managed to win that game with Fitz's stat line, we'd be saying a lot of the same things.

You can't win when your QB gives away more points than he scores.

We've now got a lot of evidence to support the fact that the beginning of last season was a fluke.

Win or not, it isn't going to change that our QB sucks. Or the fact that the backup isn't very good. And doesn't know our offense.

I've resigned myself to the fact the only positive feeling I experience is the pride felt for sticking with my team. Like a Cleveland Indians fan.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
We lost one of our 16 games. You don't have to have the best record to win a Super Bowl!
Ask the patriots and greenbay. We killed Kansas city last year and they ended up almost turning it around.

If we beat Kansas city then everyone will be back on the bandwagon. So why ***** about just 1 game

I also noticed that on defense that it wasn't so much playing bad, but the front 4 not getting pressure which made our kinda cover 2 defense streadable . It also didn't help that Sanchez played great.

There are a few games a year that you just get flat out beat but how you react to those beatings is how we will do and the bills seem pretty calm and confident
1. The Bills don't have a snowball's chance in hell of "winning the Super Bowl".
2. This is a fan discussion forum, not a circle jerk.
3. *****ing about another beat down to a divisional rival does not equate to jumping off the bandwagon. 2-11 under Gailey. Yay team.

CoolBreeze
09-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Because most of these people have nothing else in life. Their whole life revolves around this team, and if they don't have anything to brag about on Monday' morning, they got nothing. Like they have anything to do the success or failure of the team. But, just read on, they know more, and they could play better as well.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 09:43 AM
It's not over.

Its just that we were (again) dominated by a division opponent, and have not showed any improvement over last year, except on paper.

Now, two star players are injured, so....
Who else besides Jackson?

Marcala12
09-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Because most of these people have nothing else in life. Their whole life revolves around this team, and if they don't have anything to brag about on Monday' morning, they got nothing. Like they have anything to do the success or failure of the team. But, just read on, they know more, and they could play better as well.

true that, bitter about 13 years with no playoffs...how dare they.

jimmifli
09-12-2012, 10:26 AM

That's not an accurate description. I spend my days indoors. Pecking at a keyboard. Poking numbers into a telephone. Staring at screens. My ancestors chased animals around the savannah and threw spears at rival tribesmen. In my heart I'm still that warrior, I just don't get to practice during my daily life.

So I hire some surrogate warriors. An much like my ancestors would have felt dejected when their tribe's warriors lost a battle to a rival, I feel dejected when my surrogate warriors lose a battle.

That's really the entire point of sports. If we didn't suffer our surrogate's pain we couldn't revel in our surrogate's victory.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 10:28 AM
true that, bitter about 13 years with no playoffs...how dare they.
That will move us into a tie for 15th all-time longest playoff drought! So, we got that going for us.

Novacane
09-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Congrats. You just won the stupid post of the day award!

Ed
09-12-2012, 10:31 AM
There are 15 other teams that each have one loss also, and it's not over for any of them, but all their fans feel the same way. There's always way more overreaction to week 1, good and bad, than any other week of the season. Everyone has been waiting so long to see their team get a fresh start again, so when they come out and lose week 1 it's a huge kick to the nuts.

In the last 15 years or so our best seasons have started out on losing streaks and our most disappointing seasons have started out with winning streaks.

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Called it (again). Wish I could say it was a tough prediction, but even Stevie Wonder saw this coming.

GingerP
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
The season isn't over by any stretch. Certainly they can turn things around.

It is just hard to have hope when they are 1-9 over the last 10 games, their QB hasn't played well since they handed him millions of dollars and the playoffs are a distant memory.

OpIv37
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM

The D wasn't getting any pressure because our idiot DC won't blitz or stunt. That won't change.

The reason the season is over: can you honestly look at how this team played and believe they can win more than a couple of games? We sucked in all aspects of the game. Teams recover from an opening game loss. Teams that are THIS bad don't recover. There are systemic problems with the scouting and coaching and talent problems with the roster. Still.

Historian
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Nelson is done for the year.

OpIv37
09-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Seriously, I said it before but it looks like i have to say it again:

We suck in OTA's/Mini camp- "It's just OTA's, wait til training camp."
We suck in training camp? "It's just camp- wait til the preseason games."
We suck in preseason? "Preseason doesn't matter, wait until the real games."
We completely suck in all phases of the game against a division opponent in a real game? "It's just one game. We'll be fine."

Seriously? I mean, seriously? What does it take for some of you to realize that we suck?

And btw, I had this team at 9-7 and being in the playoff hunt late in the season. That was before the first game. After watching that game on Sunday, we will be lucky to win 3.

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2012, 12:16 PM

We completely suck in all phases of the game against a division opponent in a real game? "It's just one game. We'll be fine."

Seriously? I mean, seriously? What does it take for some of you to realize that we suck?

And btw, I had this team at 9-7 and being in the playoff hunt late in the season. That was before the first game. After watching that game on Sunday, we will be lucky to win 3.

You're happy the Bills suck now b/c it means you're right!

gebobs
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
You're happy the Bills suck now b/c it means you're right!
I'll be happier when I'm right about them being good.

I work with Ravens and Falcons fans. Monday morning meetings are not fun.

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I'll be happier when I'm right about them being good.

I work with Ravens and Falcons fans. Monday morning meetings are not fun.

I live in MD now (haven't updated my profile), and go to Baltimore all the time. Every time I pass by M&T Bank Stadium I just look at it and think, "those fans know what it's like to see professional football." Then I cry a little as I die inside

Ed
09-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I live in MD now (haven't updated my profile), and go to Baltimore all the time. Every time I pass by M&T Bank Stadium I just look at it and think, "those fans know what it's like to see professional football." Then I cry a little as I die inside
I drive by Mile High everyday here in Denver and I think "Man, you guys were 4-12 a couple years ago just like us, and now you have Peyton freaking Manning and you didn't even have to trade for him."

gebobs
09-12-2012, 01:25 PM

I drive by Mile High everyday here in Denver and I think "Man, you guys were 4-12 a couple years ago just like us, and now you have Peyton freaking Manning and you didn't even have to trade for him."
If the fans in Buffalo think it's hard, they have no idea. :-)

bluerosekiller
09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I know it's become ( oh so, VERY ) redundant, but it all comes back to the owner.
With Wilson at the top of the organization there just seems to be no chance of it putting a winning team on the field.
He hires all the wrong GMs & all the wrong coaches. And even though the old man has appeared to be willing to open his wallet to pay players more & bring in some big names, his people seem to have a sad, VERY troubling knack for paying the wrong people at the wrong time before they've proven their worth ( Dick Jauron in '08 & Fitz last year ) & bringing in people that aren't as good as advertised. Their track record is a disgrace.
Some might say it's bad luck, but it's clearly more a case of incompetency with The Bills.
I mean, what other team would have allowed Shawne Merriman to languish on this team as long as he did?
UGH! I can't even go on any longer with this post. It seems so futile.
After following this team in a fanatical manner since 1980 & putting up with the utter frustration of the past dozen years, I'm giving them another game or two.
Seriously.
If there's no marked improvement & two wins? I'm done for the season.
And done with the team until it has a new owner.
Which, obviously means that Wilson will have passed. So be it. It is what it is.

OpIv37
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM

I drive by M&T at least twice a week, usually more like 4x. I'll be driving by there tonight. In fact, the jets that did the flyover for the Ravens game on Monday flew right over our house.

*sigh.

Meathead
09-12-2012, 02:16 PM
its obvious why the season is over. its because ralph is cheap

ten wins

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-12-2012, 04:26 PM
its not so much the we LOST.... its the fact that we got beaten like a rented mule, and just looked pathetic doing it that

stuckincincy
09-12-2012, 04:39 PM
That's not an accurate description. I spend my days indoors. Pecking at a keyboard. Poking numbers into a telephone. Staring at screens. My ancestors chased animals around the savannah and threw spears at rival tribesmen. In my heart I'm still that warrior, I just don't get to practice during my daily life.

So I hire some surrogate warriors. An much like my ancestors would have felt dejected when their tribe's warriors lost a battle to a rival, I feel dejected when my surrogate warriors lose a battle.

That's really the entire point of sports. If we didn't suffer our surrogate's pain we couldn't revel in our surrogate's victory.

Thoughtful post, jim.

BillsFever21
09-12-2012, 04:45 PM

We will win more then 3 games by default due to 5 of our last 7 games at home against mostly creampuff opponents. Just with that schedule alone we should be good for 6 or 7 wins this year. We should win 4 or so of the last 7 games and 2 or 3 of the games leading up to that. The only way we don't is if they totally collapse after starting the season off 3-6 or worse before we get to that schedule since the first 9 weeks we have a lot of tough games on the road against the best teams in the league.

At the start of the season I figured 6-8 wins depending on how the ball falls in our favor throughout the year. This team isn't any better then that. I would hope with that schedule they can't be worse but who knows. Things can spiral out of control quick after a bad start even if you have an easy schedule. An average team that is well coached who could at least win half of their division games and win a game or two against the tougher teams on our schedule would easily get to 10 wins with our 2nd half schedule. Unfortunately that isn't us.

jimmifli
09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Thoughtful post, jim.

And oh how we've suffered. I had a lot of friends in Louisiana and called them during the game, throughout the 4th quarter and in the minutes after. It was surreal.

I hold out hope that someday our warriors will triumph.

BertSquirtgum
09-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Ralph is cheap

Typ0
09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I prefer to think of it as our season hasn't started yet as opposed to it's over.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 10:16 PM
It hasn't even started. The Bills preseason goes until October.

CoolBreeze
09-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Must be the truth hurts.... More than half of posters are losers that have little knowledge, yet they find it necessary to run their yap. I love the comments like ""McKelvin couldn't cover me" or "Mario sucks". 90% here never sniffed a football field, let alone played past high school. I know there are some here who played at a higher level,but very few. If you don't like the product don't watch or buy the merchandise.
Congrats. You just won the stupid post of the day award!

better days
09-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Kansas City FIRED their HC before the season even ended. I guess you can say that is turning it around.

OpIv37
09-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Must be the truth hurts.... More than half of posters are losers that have little knowledge, yet they find it necessary to run their yap. I love the comments like ""McKelvin couldn't cover me" or "Mario sucks". 90% here never sniffed a football field, let alone played past high school. I know there are some here who played at a higher level,but very few. If you don't like the product don't watch or buy the merchandise.

here's the problem: there have been many, many times when posters on this board have been right and the people making the decisions have been dead wrong.

And, just because someone isn't physically capable of playing pro football doesn't mean they can't criticize. If that's the case, then no one should criticize any athlete ever. Or politician. Or CEO. Or actor/actress, or musician, or basically anyone else in the public eye. It's absurd logic. If someone criticizes a player, they aren't implying that they could personally do it better. They are saying that the player isn't playing up to NFL standards or their salary.

Performance dictates competence, not title.

gebobs
09-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Interesting. Who did you play for?

Not that it matters at all. I haven't been on a stage since grade school. Even still, I can see that Keanu Reeves is a lousy actor.

And let's not forget that experience is no assurance of expertise. Dick Jauron had a lot of experience.

I don't know what kind of experience I need to evaluate a guy that was drafted 11th overall. But let's just say it's my opinion, misguided though it may be, that Leodis McKelvin has not lived up to that level. Even as weak as the Bills defensive backfield is, he's down on the depth chart. On a SB contending team, he would have been cut years ago. Heck, if I was the owner, I would have had his sorry ass cut the moment he fumbled away the game on MNF. But that's just silly old me with no football experience since high school.

As for Super Mario, that's frustration. Frustration at the possibility that the Bills again screwed the pooch. That they finally cracked the free agent market but may have been pwn'd. I've been saying for weeks during preseason, "Where is Mario? Did he even play?" And I've been assured all along that he's saving it up for the regular season. I've been reminded, not that I needed reminding, that Bruce would skate through preseason. As if Mario is even close to that level.

Please give the sanctimony a rest. This is a discussion board. If this franchise doesn't frustrate you, you may have become to accustomed to mediocrity.

ticatfan
09-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Suck it up or go home. Some teams are meant to be losers. The bills and my ticats. We alway lose and this year we made the changes and the odds makers pick us to go all the way, we are now 3-7. Sit back watch the game and get hammered, works for me.

gebobs
09-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Suck it up or go home. Some teams are meant to be losers. The bills and my ticats. We alway lose and this year we made the changes and the odds makers pick us to go all the way, we are now 3-7. Sit back watch the game and get hammered, works for me.
Best post evah by ticat. :-)

Historian
09-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Denver: The only original AFL team that never had a winning season in the AFL.

Fortunes change.

I just hope I'm still alive to see them change for Buffalo again.

Sammy Avalon
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I know it's become ( oh so, VERY ) redundant, but it all comes back to the owner.
With Wilson at the top of the organization there just seems to be no chance of it putting a winning team on the field.
He hires all the wrong GMs & all the wrong coaches. And even though the old man has appeared to be willing to open his wallet to pay players more & bring in some big names, his people seem to have a sad, VERY troubling knack for paying the wrong people at the wrong time before they've proven their worth ( Dick Jauron in '08 & Fitz last year ) & bringing in people that aren't as good as advertised. Their track record is a disgrace.
Some might say it's bad luck, but it's clearly more a case of incompetency with The Bills.
I mean, what other team would have allowed Shawne Merriman to languish on this team as long as he did?
UGH! I can't even go on any longer with this post. It seems so futile.
After following this team in a fanatical manner since 1980 & putting up with the utter frustration of the past dozen years, I'm giving them another game or two.
Seriously.
If there's no marked improvement & two wins? I'm done for the season.
And done with the team until it has a new owner.
Which, obviously means that Wilson will have passed. So be it. It is what it is.

This is exactly how I feel but I don't think the ship has sailed yet. There were many positives last year and things can still improve dramatically down the stretch.

I still think we can turn this around. You can be out of sync on opening day and not necessairly be a bad team. We will kick the Chiefs around on sunday like we always do.

BillsOverDolphins
09-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I just hope I'm still alive to see them change for Buffalo again.

How old are you now? If you're already in your 50's then I'm afraid I've got some bad news

DynaPaul
09-13-2012, 02:03 PM

You'd think the NFL would throw him a bone and give us some help to win a championship by now because he's about to croak. I don't see the old guy making past another year in life. It's unfortunate but he's 93 and been in an out of the hospital. Hell, even his buddy Modell got one before he died.

gebobs
09-13-2012, 02:29 PM
How old are you now? If you're already in your 50's then I'm afraid I've got some bad news
Le sigh

Mr. Pink
09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
When you play in a division with 2 teams that are clearly better than you, your season is always over before it even starts.

We're not winning this division anytime soon to be honest.

Which leaves you fighting for the 5th or 6th seed against a bunch of teams that it's hard to argue the Bills are better than. They include, the Jets, the Ravens/Steelers - whoever doesn't win the North, the Bengals, the Broncos/Chargers - whoever doesn't win that division. And then every year there's some upstart team that comes out of nowhere who shows up.

So the Bills are competing with at least 5 other teams for the final playoff spot.