• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsOverDolphins
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jun 2003

The one silver lining to another tragic season

The world now gets to see C.J. Spiller from start to finish. He can break Dickerson's record, and I hope the coaching staff puts him in a position to do so--so we have something to root for.

Unleash this monster.
    Oh no!...We suck again!
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: The one silver lining to another tragic season

What is the record?

Comment

• gebobs
      One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      What is the record?

1. Eric Dickerson (2,105/1984), 2. Adrian Peterson (2,097/2012), 3. Jamal Lewis (2,066/2003), 4. Barry Sanders (2,053/1997), 5. Derrick Henry (2,027/2020),

Lotsa luck.

On the one hand, you have cynics and pessimists (yours truly included) that ***** about how bad the Bills suck after one game. On the other hand, there are the optimists (god bless 'em) that see a silver lining to the thunderheads over this franchise.

Thinking that CJ Spiller could become the all-time single-season rusher based on a single game is pretty funny. I mean, if we had a line like the '84 Rams, maybe think about it. But we don't. Spiller had two big runs. That's not going to happen every game.
      Last edited by gebobs; 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM.
      Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by gebobs View Post

1. Eric Dickerson (2,105/1984), 2. Adrian Peterson (2,097/2012), 3. Jamal Lewis (2,066/2003), 4. Barry Sanders (2,053/1997), 5. Derrick Henry (2,027/2020),

Lotsa luck.

On the one hand, you have cynics and pessimists (yours truly included) that ***** about how bad the Bills suck after one game. On the other hand, there are the optimists (god bless 'em) that see a silver lining to the thunderheads over this franchise.

Thinking that CJ Spiller could become the all-time single-season rusher based on a single game is pretty funny. I mean, if we had a line like the '84 Rams, maybe think about it. But we don't. Spiller had two big runs. That's not going to happen every game.
        If you look at Spiller's production over his limited amount of starts his YPC is actually pretty staggering. Over the last two seasons he has a YPC of 6 YPC which is crazy. He hits a long run in almost every game where he gets lots of touches.

Spiller has the ability to be a 2000 yard rusher if the Bills commit to it.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jun 2003

Lotsa luck.

He did pretty ***** good behind the swiss cheese line last year too. He's a homerun hitter. We should all be rooting for the record, whilst simultaneously hoping we suck bad enough for Barkley. Are either of these things going to happen? No, but **** it. CJ getting 2000 is more realistic than the Bills winning 9 games

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
          If you look at Spiller's production over his limited amount of starts his YPC is actually pretty staggering. Over the last two seasons he has a YPC of 6 YPC which is crazy. He hits a long run in almost every game where he gets lots of touches.

BOOM. HEADSHOT.

Nice work Feed the beast.
          Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

I think Spiller has the talent to be a leading rusher. He also now seems to have the patience/vision and confidence to put it all together now too, but I just don't know if he'll get the chance. I don't think Fred Jackson will be back for a while and even when he does return I don't think he'll ever be the starter again, so Spiller has the opportunity, but I don't see Gailey giving him enough carries.

Spiller is at least one thing to be excited about though.

Comment

• gebobs
              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
              • Sep 2003

That's true...100 carries and 615 yards in his last 7 games. Now if only we didn't have a pass-happy coach with a mediocre quarterback.
              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Luisito23
                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                • Apr 2003

The only hope, and promise I have for this season is seeing Spiller growing from good, to superstar status.

I've always liked him, and always agreed with the pick, but Gailey needs to cut the BS and give him as many touches as humanly possible. CJ needs to be our entire offense, because he's our only hope of success.
                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• jimmifli
                  • Nov 2006

That's true...100 carries and 615 yards in his last 7 games. Now if only we didn't have a pass-happy coach with a mediocre quarterback.
                  Those facts are very related.

There's a benefit from running out of Chan's 9 WR sets. :)

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

I would make the argument that a smartcoach would not submit Spiller to a 350+ carry season. That would be begging to turn him into a 3.1 yard per carry back within 2 seasons.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                      I would make the argument that a smartcoach would not submit Spiller to a 350+ carry season. That would be begging to turn him into a 3.1 yard per carry back within 2 seasons.
                      339, 372, 313, 339, 339, 348, 315, 292. That is The carries per season for Ladainian Tomlinson for his first 8 seasons. No reason why Spiller can't handle the same workload.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

339, 372, 313, 339, 339, 348, 315, 292. That is The carries per season for Ladainian Tomlinson for his first 8 seasons. No reason why Spiller can't handle the same workload.
                        And, like Tomlinson, be pretty much finished at 30.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post

But aren't most RBs finished by that age anyways?
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Jun 2003

WOW. Simply...WOW.

I'd take 8 years of production like that ANYTIME. I know this is a relatively foreign concept to some of you, but RBs almost always fall off after 30.

Crazy, I know.
                            Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• Ed
                              Dude
                              • Sep 2002

I'll take 5-6 great years from Spiller. It's not like we can't draft another RB six years from now. I don't think we should really be worrying about how effective CJ is going to be 7-8 years from now and try to limit his carries in an attempt to lengthen his career. He may choose to leave as a FA at some point, or he may suffer a catastrophic injury, or who knows. If Spiller is our most effective and dangerous weapon right now than let's use him. He hasn't gotten the carries that other RB's have in their first two years so he has plenty of tread on the tires and he wants the extra work load. I say ride him while we can.

Comment

Working...
                              X