PDA

View Full Version : The one silver lining to another tragic season

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
The world now gets to see C.J. Spiller from start to finish. He can break Dickerson's record, and I hope the coaching staff puts him in a position to do so--so we have something to root for.

Unleash this monster.

Ed
09-12-2012, 10:12 AM
What is the record?

gebobs
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
What is the record?2105

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_single_season.htm

Lotsa luck.

On the one hand, you have cynics and pessimists (yours truly included) that ***** about how bad the Bills suck after one game. On the other hand, there are the optimists (god bless 'em) that see a silver lining to the thunderheads over this franchise.

Thinking that CJ Spiller could become the all-time single-season rusher based on a single game is pretty funny. I mean, if we had a line like the '84 Rams, maybe think about it. But we don't. Spiller had two big runs. That's not going to happen every game.

Mahdi
09-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Lotsa luck.

On the one hand, you have cynics and pessimists (yours truly included) that ***** about how bad the Bills suck after one game. On the other hand, there are the optimists (god bless 'em) that see a silver lining to the thunderheads over this franchise.

Thinking that CJ Spiller could become the all-time single-season rusher based on a single game is pretty funny. I mean, if we had a line like the '84 Rams, maybe think about it. But we don't. Spiller had two big runs. That's not going to happen every game.

If you look at Spiller's production over his limited amount of starts his YPC is actually pretty staggering. Over the last two seasons he has a YPC of 6 YPC which is crazy. He hits a long run in almost every game where he gets lots of touches.

Spiller has the ability to be a 2000 yard rusher if the Bills commit to it.

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Lotsa luck.

He did pretty ***** good behind the swiss cheese line last year too. He's a homerun hitter. We should all be rooting for the record, whilst simultaneously hoping we suck bad enough for Barkley. Are either of these things going to happen? No, but **** it. CJ getting 2000 is more realistic than the Bills winning 9 games

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at Spiller's production over his limited amount of starts his YPC is actually pretty staggering. Over the last two seasons he has a YPC of 6 YPC which is crazy. He hits a long run in almost every game where he gets lots of touches.

BOOM. HEADSHOT.

Nice work:up: Feed the beast.

Ed
09-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I think Spiller has the talent to be a leading rusher. He also now seems to have the patience/vision and confidence to put it all together now too, but I just don't know if he'll get the chance. I don't think Fred Jackson will be back for a while and even when he does return I don't think he'll ever be the starter again, so Spiller has the opportunity, but I don't see Gailey giving him enough carries.

Spiller is at least one thing to be excited about though.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 10:55 AM

That's true...100 carries and 615 yards in his last 7 games. Now if only we didn't have a pass-happy coach with a mediocre quarterback.

Luisito23
09-12-2012, 11:07 AM
The only hope, and promise I have for this season is seeing Spiller growing from good, to superstar status.

I've always liked him, and always agreed with the pick, but Gailey needs to cut the BS and give him as many touches as humanly possible. CJ needs to be our entire offense, because he's our only hope of success.

jimmifli
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
That's true...100 carries and 615 yards in his last 7 games. Now if only we didn't have a pass-happy coach with a mediocre quarterback.
Those facts are very related.

There's a benefit from running out of Chan's 9 WR sets. :)

EDS
09-12-2012, 11:14 AM

I would make the argument that a smartcoach would not submit Spiller to a 350+ carry season. That would be begging to turn him into a 3.1 yard per carry back within 2 seasons.

Mahdi
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I would make the argument that a smartcoach would not submit Spiller to a 350+ carry season. That would be begging to turn him into a 3.1 yard per carry back within 2 seasons.

339, 372, 313, 339, 339, 348, 315, 292. That is The carries per season for Ladainian Tomlinson for his first 8 seasons. No reason why Spiller can't handle the same workload.

Jan Reimers
09-12-2012, 11:33 AM
339, 372, 313, 339, 339, 348, 315, 292. That is The carries per season for Ladainian Tomlinson for his first 8 seasons. No reason why Spiller can't handle the same workload.

And, like Tomlinson, be pretty much finished at 30.

Luisito23
09-12-2012, 11:37 AM

But aren't most RBs finished by that age anyways?

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

WOW. Simply...WOW.

I'd take 8 years of production like that ANYTIME. I know this is a relatively foreign concept to some of you, but RBs almost always fall off after 30.

Crazy, I know.

Ed
09-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I'll take 5-6 great years from Spiller. It's not like we can't draft another RB six years from now. I don't think we should really be worrying about how effective CJ is going to be 7-8 years from now and try to limit his carries in an attempt to lengthen his career. He may choose to leave as a FA at some point, or he may suffer a catastrophic injury, or who knows. If Spiller is our most effective and dangerous weapon right now than let's use him. He hasn't gotten the carries that other RB's have in their first two years so he has plenty of tread on the tires and he wants the extra work load. I say ride him while we can.

Ed
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
But aren't most RBs finished by that age anyways?
I've heard that it's less about age and more about number of carries, but the two tend to correlate. I think I heard or read somewhere that based on studies the magic number for carries is around 1,500 where you see RB's production really start to drop. I may have that number wrong.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Anything that would reduce the passes by Fitz is a good thing.

Extrapolating his production the past 7 games comes to 1300-1400 yards. I think that's reasonable. 2000 is a stretch.

EDS
09-12-2012, 12:13 PM

Tomlinson came into the leage as a 221 back, versus 200 for Spiller. Big difference - not to mention the fact that LT is a first ballot hall of famer. Not to mention that Spiller has never had more than 201 carries is a season (that was back in college). Better comparison is Chris Johnson - another blazing fast back. Johnson has a huge season but that 2000 yard season destroyed him.

There is a reason why KC has made a point of having a back to compliment Jamaal Charles (another player similar to Spiller - exact same size and age) - because they know a huge workload will limit his effectiveness. Charles, by the way, actually does a career ypc of 6.

Ed
09-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Tomlinson came into the leage as a 221 back, versus 200 for Spiller. Big difference - not to mention the fact that LT is a first ballot hall of famer. Not to mention that Spiller has never had more than 201 carries is a season (that was back in college). Better comparison is Chris Johnson - another blazing fast back. Johnson has a huge season but that 2000 yard season destroyed him.

There is a reason why KC has made a point of having a back to compliment Jamaal Charles (another player similar to Spiller - exact same size and age) - because they know a huge workload will limit his effectiveness. Charles, by the way, actually does a career ypc of 6.
Spiller isn't any smaller than Thurman Thomas or Barry Sanders were and they did alright carrying the load.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Spiller isn't any smaller than Thurman Thomas or Barry Sanders were and they did alright carrying the load.
Gordie Howe played in five decades. I don't expect Marcus Foligno to be around in 2050. :-)

EDS
09-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Thurman Thomas only carried the ball more than 300 twice in his entire career, and his effectiveness was drastically reduced afterwards.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Thurman Thomas only carried the ball more than 300 twice in his entire career, and his effectiveness was drastically reduced afterwards.
Well, he was also one of the most prolific receiving backs in history.

My point is that it's a bit premature to compare Spiller to two freaks of nature. Guys like Thomas, Sanders or even Gordie Howe are rare.

Ed
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Well, he was also one of the most prolific receiving backs in history.

My point is that it's a bit premature to compare Spiller to two freaks of nature. Guys like Thomas, Sanders or even Gordie Howe are rare.
I'm just making the point that I think some people think Spiller is smaller than he actually is.

Mahdi
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM

First, I highly doubt Spiller is 200 pounds as indicated on the site. He is much bigger in the upper and lower body than last year. He is probably closer to 210.

Second, I don't think 10 pounds here or there is the difference between carrying the ball a lot and not. Spiller is not the kind of back that takes a lot of big hits because his target area is not wide and he is too shifty to get square to.

Third, Spiller is showing that he doesn't need 25 carries per game to be productive. 280-300 carries would be enough for him to get about 1500 yards or more. 2000 would be nice if he keeps ripping off 60 yard runs.