PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Breaking Down Coverage via All-22

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I really had a lot of fun making this post but it took me a LONG time. All-22 was better than I could of imagined especially with the tablet features. Anyways let me know what you guys think of this post, specifically the breakdowns, the images, and the colors. Is it clear enough?

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/09/breaking-down-coverage-using-all-22/

Since the NFL is kind enough to offer us a free trial of the All-22 film, we thought we would indulge and take a gander at this past Sunday’s game. First off, the All-22 film is the gift at Christmas time that you didn’t asked for and your parents convinced you that they couldn’t afford only to find it under the tree on Christmas morning. I literally spent hours just clicking through plays and just watching, in agony, over and over again.However there were two plays in particular that I wanted to break down and share with you all.

billsburgh
09-12-2012, 12:08 PM
thanks for taking the time to do this. Very insightful. From what you saw, are these things that are fixable or will teams continue to expoit this D?

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
thanks for taking the time to do this. Very insightful. From what you saw, are these things that are fixable or will teams continue to expoit this D?

Fixable but these are big mistakes they shouldn't be making in very basic coverages. The triple coverage on the TE on the post route is so bad words do not do it justice.

stuckincincy
09-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Nice job. Colors are fine.

I'd have the rookie Gilmore play mostly man, giving up help for the rest of the backfield. Opposing qbs will note that with his back turned away from the LOS, his run support evaporates. But he needs to figure out how a receiver that has got downfield moves. I'd also bring him in closer to the LOS to learn about a receiver's burst at the snap, and how to use the 5 yd. chuck rule to advantage.

billsburgh
09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Fixable but these are big mistakes they shouldn't be making in very basic coverages. The triple coverage on the TE on the post route is so bad words do not do it justice.

Is that a result of still learning Wanny's system, bad coaching or stupidity?

gebobs
09-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks...good analysis. Very depressing.

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Is that a result of still learning Wanny's system, bad coaching or stupidity?

Impossible to know without having the specific calls.

kingJofNYC
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
The flea flicker drove me nuts, I played that back half a dozen times. 7 Man protection so you're not getting pressure with 4, and then losing the 3 vs 2 battle is just awful. Gilmore was giving Hill so much ground, ridiculous. Williams was probably one of our better corners and the PI called his way was a joke, resulted in 7 points instead of a FG.

Ed
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Is it normal for Byrd to be playing so deep? It seems to just take him out of the play.

kingJofNYC
09-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Is it normal for Byrd to be playing so deep? It seems to just take him out of the play.

He played deep the majority of the game. There were instances when the safeties were lined up within 10-15 yards, but the norm when I went through the coaches angles was 18-20. Ridiculous depth. It's as if they were told to stay over the top at all costs, even if you outrun the receiver.

gebobs
09-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Kazoo redux.

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 01:21 PM

In a single safety set, yes sometimes. They need the extra depth to cover the necessary angles.

Mouldsie
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
CB play in the NFL is not where it should be.... and safety play is just pitiful at every level

Thanks for sharing this post. I love this kind of analysis. I NEED A TABLET lol

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 02:31 PM
CB play in the NFL is not where it should be.... and safety play is just pitiful at every level

Thanks for sharing this post. I love this kind of analysis. I NEED A TABLET lol

Yea without the tablet you cant really get the screen shots you need. I did the rest of the work on my Mac in terms of drawing and coloring.

Extremebillsfan247
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
On that first play you broke down, I understand why Gilmore would do that, he's a rookie after all. But, I'd expect a little more out of George Wilson. He's a veteran leader of that secondary with some history vs the Jets. He should have known better, there is no excuse for that. JMO Thanks for sharing.

kingJofNYC
09-12-2012, 02:50 PM
One of the worst plays was Byrd vs Santonio in the slot. He was playing 10 yards off, they wanted to keep the split safety shell, but Byrd had him in man to man. Santonio runs a quick corner route, Byrd gets twisted, easy completion. Just awful.

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 03:02 PM
On that first play you broke down, I understand why Gilmore would do that, he's a rookie after all. But, I'd expect a little more out of George Wilson. He's a veteran leader of that secondary with some history vs the Jets. He should have known better, there is no excuse for that. JMO Thanks for sharing.

Well that's how Gilmore plays CB, he's going to always look into the backfield, which is why we know he will get burned more than his fair share.

kingJofNYC
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Checked out the GameRewind App, it's pretty brilliant, telestrator is awesome. Byrd play I referenced was at 5:08 of the 2nd quarter.

Extremebillsfan247
09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Well that's how Gilmore plays CB, he's going to always look into the backfield, which is why we know he will get burned more than his fair share. Your right about that.
I think a veteran presence like for example, DB Drayton Florence would have really been able to help him develop, and that is what is missing from this secondary. I could be wrong, but I think the lack of a veteran presence in our secondary will hurt us this year. Yeah, we still have McGee but the guy is always injured, and doesn't contribute enough to matter in my opinion.

stuckincincy
09-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Well that's how Gilmore plays CB, he's going to always look into the backfield, which is why we know he will get burned more than his fair share.

As I said before - his coaches should get him up to the line to get educated about jukes and off-the-LOS wr blocking, and play his man. That's how you work in most CB rookies if you throw 'em into a starting role. You pay that price in hopes of future dividends. Subject to offensive looks, crab a safety his way. Compensate that with your LB and DL placements...try to give the opposing offense some level of worry, try to get their minds off of exploiting your kiddie CB.

I'm a fan of taking a strategic penalty. When I see a qb with saucer eyes and calling shifts my rook CBs' way, I'll fire off a lb into his face. No hits, but I want to send a message, subject to down and time of game. My rook CB isn't going to get head pats or coochie coos, but I do want the qb to know that when you go that way we will go your way.

The Jokeman
09-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Well we could replace him with McKelvin who can run with his man but when it comes to making a play on the ball well that's someone elses game.

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Well we could replace him with McKelvin who can run with his man but when it comes to making a play on the ball well that's someone elses game.

It is the oddest thing with him. He's actually very good in "coverage" but he can just not find the ball at all so even though he's in step he can't make a play. I have never seen that before.

Ed
09-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Your right about that.
I think a veteran presence like for example, DB Drayton Florence would have really been able to help him develop, and that is what is missing from this secondary. I could be wrong, but I think the lack of a veteran presence in our secondary will hurt us this year. Yeah, we still have McGee but the guy is always injured, and doesn't contribute enough to matter in my opinion.
Yeah, except that Gilmore got beat by another rookie that was considered very unpolished and less ready for the NFL.

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
As I said before - his coaches should get him up to the line to get educated about jukes and off-the-LOS wr blocking, and play his man. That's how you work in most CB rookies if you throw 'em into a starting role. You pay that price in hopes of future dividends. Subject to offensive looks, crab a safety his way. Compensate that with your LB and DL placements...try to give the opposing offense some level of worry, try to get their minds off of exploiting your kiddie CB.

I'm a fan of taking a strategic penalty. When I see a qb with saucer eyes and calling shifts my rook CBs' way, I'll fire off a lb into his face. No hits, but I want to send a message, subject to down and time of game. My rook CB isn't going to get head pats or coochie coos, but I do want the qb to know that when you go that way we will go your way.

I'd love to see Wanny let him get physical at the line especially against a guy like Hill who saw almost no press in college due to their scheme. This week v. Bowe it may not be our best call because he is a physical beast off the line but in most situations let him chuck for those five yards. I so badly want a pest style CB (term stolen from basketball) who will just annoy the **** out of the opposing number 1 WR.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, except that Gilmore got beat by another rookie that was considered very unpolished and less ready for the NFL.

Well not to defend Gilmore but he bit on that hitch and go because he never took his eyes off Sanchez.

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Im still trying to decide if I should spend the $70 and make this a weekly feature or not. Is this something you guys would want to read all season long?

kingJofNYC
09-12-2012, 04:02 PM
I love this stuff, definitely enjoy it. Wonder if it will get cheaper down the road like the MLB.tv sub.

stuckincincy
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I'd love to see Wanny let him get physical at the line especially against a guy like Hill who saw almost no press in college due to their scheme. This week v. Bowe it may not be our best call because he is a physical beast off the line but in most situations let him chuck for those five yards. I so badly want a pest style CB (term stolen from basketball) who will just annoy the **** out of the opposing number 1 WR.

- - - Updated - - -

Well not to defend Gilmore but he bit on that hitch and go because he never took his eyes off Sanchez.

Other than Claiborne, I didn't think much of the db crop this year.

kingJofNYC
09-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Buscalia graded out a bunch of players. Check it out if you're interested.

http://wgr550.com/Upon-Further-Review--Bills-QB--WRs---DBs-vs-Jets/14224461

DraftBoy
09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Buscalia graded out a bunch of players. Check it out if you're interested.

http://wgr550.com/Upon-Further-Review--Bills-QB--WRs---DBs-vs-Jets/14224461

Read it, its more stat based than tape but its very good.

YardRat
09-12-2012, 06:19 PM
It is the oddest thing with him. He's actually very good in "coverage" but he can just not find the ball at all so even though he's in step he can't make a play. I have never seen that before.

James Williams.

stuckincincy
09-12-2012, 06:34 PM

Just a stab in the dark, so to speak - you can live a nice long life with a bit of peripheral deficiency. I'd give him an eye exam to rule out such. Today's soft, disposable contact lens product aren't an athletic liability like the old glass ones. Heh - I remember a game stoppage in season one to look for Ritchie Lucas' lost contact lens.

YardRat
09-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Just a stab in the dark, so to speak - you can live a nice long life with a bit of peripheral deficiency. I'd give him an eye exam to rule out such.

James Williams.

chernobylwraiths
09-12-2012, 09:24 PM
I really had a lot of fun making this post but it took me a LONG time. All-22 was better than I could of imagined especially with the tablet features. Anyways let me know what you guys think of this post, specifically the breakdowns, the images, and the colors. Is it clear enough?

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/09/breaking-down-coverage-using-all-22/

Well, since you asked, it is better than you could've imagined.