PDA

View Full Version : Don's Crystal Ball Week 2 League Picks

DonCanabis
09-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Chicago at Green Bay -6 Ovr/Und 51

Since Aaron Rodgers became the starter for the Packers in 2008, he's 5-0 against them at Lambeau field including playoffs. It's simple, Green Bay needs this win so they don't fall farther behind of the rest of their division and the Bears, need it to take a commanding lead and make a statement in their own division as well. I like what I saw out of Jay Cutler and the Chicago's offense last week, it looks like it will be an unit that will put up lots of points.

I expect a close high scoring game, that might not be decided until the end. Still, I'll take the home team to win the game, they play good against the Bears at home and I can't see the Packers fall to 0-2

Straight: GB
Spread: CHI
Ovr/Und: OVR

BillsOverDolphins
09-14-2012, 04:22 PM
1-2

BillsOverDolphins
09-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Ok scros, despite the utter contempt I have for some of you, I'm willing to impart some wisdom that'll impact your wallets:

Patriots -13.5
Saints -2.5
Bengals -7
Colts +1.5
Falcons -3

You're welcome.

DonCanabis
09-16-2012, 09:40 AM
http://www.cowboysaddicts.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=886&d=1318091150

WEEK 2 LEAGUE PICKS

By TheDon
Analyst/Godfather
Staff Writer for http://www.cowboysaddicts.com (http://Cowboysaddicts.com)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/atw217/brando.png

CONGRATS TO THE 2011 DON’S PREDICTION LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

*** Sparty from detroitlionsforum.com ***
*** BrrsColts from coltfreaks.com ***

The first week of the season is in the books. This was by far the worst week I've called since I started doing this column eight years ago. Never have I fallen under 50% overall in a single week until now. Being that it was Week One, I took some risks that just didn't pan out. Don't lose faith, as like I said this has been the worst week I've ever called so things will get better. Even though some of my upsets didn't work out, I'm not ready to jump ship. I'm also not ready to jump on the bandwagon of some of the teams that looked better than I expected.

Quick Hits

You want to know how important Week Two is? Since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 12 teams in 1990, 63.7% of the teams that started the season 2-0 (116-66) have advanced to the postseason. On the other hand, only 12% of the teams that have started season 0-2 (22-162) have reached the playoffs in the same span.
As good as Rober Griffin III looked, I have to give the biggest credit to the Shanahan's game plan. What they did was play to Griffin's strengths and oblige the New Orleans defense to play honest. They made the Saints stop putting pressure by killing them with a series of short quick passes and designed runs. This allowed Griffin more time in the pocket to make the bigger plays. Still, Griffin had to be accurate and trust what he saw for this plan to work. What I liked the most about RG3's performance were two play that he scrambled but instead of running, he kept his eyes up the field and connected for two big plays; one of them, he stiffed armed a player and threw all the way across the field to his teammate.
I believe the referees did more than an adequate job last week. Yes, they did give Seattle an extra timeout, and they didn't gave Oakland an extra play at the end of the game when the punt was downed by San Diego. Both mistakes didn't end up costing a team the win and overall games went fluid with little effect from the referee's and that's what we wanted. If we want to look at the stats; they called an average of 1 more flag per game than the average of last year.

Some people complained that they missed some calls, off-course they did but, it's not like the regular referees get every call right or call everything they should. I believe the referees have lost leverage with that performance. Some say that teams and fans will pressure the league to bring the referees back once a replacement cost a team a game with a bad call. I agree with that assessment but, why do we act like the normal referees haven't coast a team a game in the past? Have we forgotten about Ed Hochuli's mistake already? What about the 2002 Playoff game between the Giants and 49ers?, where the referees missed a clear interference call on the final play that gave San Francisco the win, and gave us the now famous "Bummer" quote of head coach Steve Mariucci.
I think after one week these are the teams that I liked the the most in order: San Francisco, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and New England.
I still believe Green Bay and the New York Giants are part of the top teams even with their losses.
I believe the Dallas Cowboys can start the season 3-0 and still miss the postseason. I believe the Dallas Cowboys can start the season 3-0 and miss the postseason. Week four to 10 in their schedule is deadly.

On to the games

Chicago at Green Bay -6 Ovr/Und 51

Since Aaron Rodgers became the starter for the Packers in 2008, he's 5-0 against them at Lambeau field including playoffs. It's simple, Green Bay needs this win so they don't fall farther behind of the rest of their division and the Bears, need it to take a commanding lead and make a statement in their own division as well. I like what I saw out of Jay Cutler and the Chicago's offense last week; it looks like it will be an unit that will put up lots of points.

I expect a close high scoring game that might not be decided until the end. Still, I'll take the home team to win the game, they play good against the Bears at home and I can't see the Packers fall to 0-2

Straight: GB
Spread: CHI

Tampa Bay at New York Giants -7.5 Ovr/Und 43.5

It's a similar story here, the Giants lost a close game against a tough opponent in week one, but they are a better team than they showed. Injuries in the secondary are hurting this unit, but they can still put pressure. New York has had 10 days to prepare for this match and they play at home. As impressive as the Buccaneers defense looked in week one, I don't see them getting caught off guard two weeks in a row.

I expect the Super Bowl Champion's to win the game and cover the spread in a low-scoring game.

Straight: NYG
Spread: NYG
Ovr/Und: Und

Oakland at Miami2.5 Ovr/Und 38
UPSET OF THE WEEK

Both teams were bad last week as I expected, if the Raiders hadn't lost their long snapper they could have won that game, with little help of their offense. I said it before; both teams will struggle this year. If I have to choose, I think the Raiders showed more in their defeat, that Miami did in theirs.

I don't think the fans knew the value of a good long snapper until last week's game on Monday night.

Straight: OAK
Spread: OAK
Ovr/Und: Und

Houston at Jacksonville 7.5 Ovr/Und 41.5

Blaine Gabbert, you make me look good for four quarters but in overtime, on a fourth and two, instead of going after the short pass and get a first down, you decide to go after the long pass instead, game over. The Texans looked dominant last week, J.J. Watt has been playing at All-pro level since last year, it’s so rare that a 3-4 defensive end be so disruptive. The Texans should take this win and solidify their place in their division. Blaine Gabbert has improved tremendously since last year still; this defense will prove too much for him.

Straight: HOU
Spread: HOU
Ovr/Und: Ovr

Cleveland at Cincinnati -7 Ovr/Und 38.5

I've said many times, the Browns made a big mistake in selecting Brandon Weeden in the first round of the Draft, thanks for making me look good buddy. The funny thing is that even with the horrible game of Weeden, the Browns were winning the game and almost took the victory. The Bengals played a good half against the Ravens; the second half was what killed them. Both offenses struggled last week, but at least one scored a touchdown. Take the Bengals at home in a low-scoring game.

Straight: CIN
Spread: CIN
Ovr/Und: UND

Kansas City at Buffalo -3 Ovr/Und 44.5

These two teams last week disappointed me, but I still think it will be good teams this year. Jamaal Charles had a good return to action after a knee injury last year, it is clear that still has not regained his speed. Defense has to play better on both sides and the quarterbacks have to take care off the ball. I expect a close high scoring game, so take the Bills at home, but take the Chiefs for the line.

Straight: BUF
Spread: KC

Baltimore at Philadelphia -2.5 Ovr/Und 46

I said last week that Joe Flacco has found his groove in the sugar no-huddle offense they implemented this year, it's only been one week so let's not get carried away, but at first glance it looks like the Ravens will have an offense that can match that defense. Juan Castillo's wide-nine had a great debut: four turnovers, two sacks and didn't allow a single touchdown. Granted, it was against the Browns, but the defense was the only reason the Eagles were able to come back and win that game.

The best way to control the pass rush of the wide-nine is with a no-huddle offense that doesn't let the defense to set, and keeps them in their heels. That's why I believe the Ravens will go to Philadelphia and take the victory. Well, that and the fact that the Eagles still have Michael Vick at quarterback.

Straight:BAL
Spread:BAL
Ovr/Und:OVR

New Orleans at Carolina - 2.5 Ovr/Und 50.5

The Saints were blindsided last week, they just didn't came prepared for the Redskins. The Panthers completely abandoned their running game and they suffered because of it, yes Cam Newton still threw for 300 yards but also threw two interceptions and didn't score until the third quarter. I'm worried about the Saints secondary against the Panther's wide receivers that can be the difference in this game. Now, remember this, even if New Orleans started slow they came back and almost tied the game last week. I think the Panthers could pull an upset and send the Saints to a 0-2 start, but something tells me that Drew Brees and the Saints will find a way to win this game.

Straight: NO
Spread: NO

Arizona at New England -13.5 Ovr/Und 48

Yes, I know I predicted the Cardinals to finish the season 1-15, so that basically means they'll need to finish 0-15 the rest of the way so my prediction comes true; O ye, of little faith! I guess God heard my prayers and put Kevin Kolb back as the starting quarterback, because of the injury to John Skelton. Well, not only it looks the Patriots hit gold with both their first round picks, but also with second year running back Stevan Ridley. Even with the big spread, I would take the Patriots on this one and the under.

Straight:NE
Spread:NE

Minnesota at Indianapolis 1 Ovr/Und 44.5

Andrew Luck didn't had a good debut last week, but what should truly have Colts fans worried is their defense looked worse, just like I said on my season predictions. I still can't believe Adrian Peterson could come back from that late season knee injury and look so good just a few months later. This to me looks like the classic trap game, where one team played good last week the other didn't but, it's playing at home and steal the victory.

I'll suggest to go with the safe pick this week, the Colts are dealing with way too much stuff right now maybe, they pull an upset in a couple of weeks.

Straight: MIN
Spread: MIN

Washington at St. Louis 3 Ovr/Und 45.5

TThe performance of Robert Griffin III last week, took the spotlight in all sporting events, but the guy I want to focus on now is my sleeper choice for fantasy football: Alfred Morris. The sixth-round pick impressed me in the third week of preseason and felt that he fits perfectly in Shanahan’s running system. Morris ran for 96 yards, two touchdowns in last week’s performance. Not only did he take the pressure away from RGIII but also help sell play-action that destroyed the Saints defense. The Rams put up a great fight against the Lions, thanks to their defense. Still, this team lacks the offensive weapons to be really competitive this year.

Straight: WAS
Spread: WAS

Dallas at Seattle : -3 Ovr/Und 42

The Cowboys had a stellar performance against the Giants. The biggest improvement for them has to be their defense. The two things that impressed me the most: how the corners controlled the Giants receivers and how everyone was playing fast and around football. The Seahawks almost got away with a win last week, but Russell Wilson struggled in his debut. Seattle can be a tough place to play, yet the Cowboys had 10 days to prepare for this game and should return home with the victory.

The three things that I am focusing the most on this game are: Can the Cowboys' offensive line contain and reduce mental mistakes this week? Will the defense limit the opponents rushing game for the second week in a row and make the Seahawks one dimensional? Finally, I want to see how the Cowboys receivers will perform against Seattle massive corners that are over 6-feet.

Straight: DAL
Spread: DAL

New York Jets at Pittsburgh : -6 Ovr/Und 41.5

I know there are many Tim Tebow groupies out there; this Tebowmania has gone too far. When this publicity stunt, a sorry excuse of a football player, continues to get the spotlight by the media even after a huge performance by his teammates, I consider it an insult. When this kid, becomes the featured piece of the debut of the series "A Football Life" second season. Where legends like Tom Landry, Al Davis, Bill Belichick, Walter Payton and more have appeared, I consider it an insult.

OK, now that I got that out of my chest, we can move on with the game. The Jets impressed me last week. After a preseason where the offense was nonexistent, they came out and lighted up against the Bills. Pittsburgh it's coming back from their second straight loss at Mile High stadium, where the team looks ok for three-quarters before imploding at the end. Call me skeptic, but I still don't trust the Jets offense or Mark Sanchez. Take the Steelers this week to win and cover, but we should be worried in their inability to cover quick receivers.

Straight: PIT
Spread: PIT

Tennessee Titans at San Diego Chargers -6 Ovr/Und 43

The San Diego Chargers needed the help from the same unit that had cost them many games in the past to win, the Special Teams. If you didn't consider a quality long snapper an important piece of every team - you do now. Neither team’s offense impressed me last week. Antonio Gate's healthiest season lasted only three-quarters, Chris Johnson "I'll prove them wrong" season, has started with an impressive four-yard game.

This is the type of game I usually stay away from; neither team has shown me any consistency. The Chargers pass rush looks improved and could cause some troubles to Jake Locker. Take the Chargers to win the game at home, but I expect a close low scoring game, so take the points.

Straight: SD
Spread: TEN

Detroit at San Francisco: -6.5 Ovr/Und 47

San Francisco was the team that impressed me most last week. The defense, was completely dominant and the offense looked balanced. The Lions didn't looked good against the Rams, and were barely able to sneak out a win. Still, like the Cowboys, you can bet the Lions had this game circled since the schedule came out. These teams hate each other, starting with the coaches, so expect a hard-hitting game that will be fought until the end.

The Calvin Johnson injury, and the fact that the 49er's play's at home tells me to take them for the win, but not the spread. This will be a close match, there's too much pride and at stake ridding in this game.

Straight: SF
Spread: DET
Ovr/Und: Ovr

Denver at Atlanta : -3 Ovr/Und 51

Peyton shut many doubts with his performance last week. Even though I expected the Broncos beat the Steelers, I thought it would be because of the defense and not the Offense. Manning had a little trouble getting started at first, but once he went to the no-huddle offense he was almost unstoppable. Atlanta looked great playing in such a tough environment like Kansas City. The Loss of Brent Grimes for the season is huge, and will affect the Falcons the rest of the year. Still, Matt Ryan has one of the craziest records playing at home. Take the Falcons and the points on this one.

Straight: ATL
Spread: ATL

The Hot Picks

Baltimore (league)
Houston (league)
Dallas (league)
Washington
New York Giants

Don’s Prediction League Leaders

eRandall38® 30 -18 63% [thewarpath.net]
Cheshe 29-19 60%
Dizzle 29-19 60% [thewarpath.net]

32.- TheDon 21-27 44%

YardRat
09-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Oakland over Miami is the upset special?

Don't overlook Seattle giving Dallas a tough time.

LtFinFan66
09-16-2012, 04:20 PM

no kidding...since the Raiders were favored??

LtFinFan66
09-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Ok scros, despite the utter contempt I have for some of you, I'm willing to impart some wisdom that'll impact your wallets:

Patriots -13.5 NOPE
Saints -2.5 NOPE
Bengals -7 NOPE
Colts +1.5 YEP
Falcons -3

You're welcome.

BillsOverDolphins
09-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Damn Bengals...

YardRat
09-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Bang.

Mike
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Patriots -13.5
Saints -2.5
Bengals -7
Colts +1.5
Falcons -3

You're welcome.

Impacted the wallet in a very bad way! You would have been better off flipping a coin or getting a monkey to point out a winner. lol

DynaPaul
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Don't crystal ball seems to have some clouds in it.

TigerJ
09-16-2012, 09:20 PM

Give one to YardRat!

ServoBillieves
09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Don't ball is broken... or it was just a snow-globe that was shaken way too hard.

DonCanabis
09-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Patriots -13.5 Wrong
Saints -2.5 Wrong
Bengals -7 Push
Colts +1.5 Correct
Falcons -3 Correct

You're welcome.

Not that easy right?

YardRat
09-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Mine was pretty easy.