PDA

View Full Version : Do the Bills have the balls to trade for Cutler?

BertSquirtgum
09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Should they even try? He seems like a diva.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/bears-fear-a-potential-cutler-mutiny/

kingJofNYC
09-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Cutler's the biggest **** in football, no thanks. Everyone is at fault but Cutler. Dude lives in a fantasy world.

SquishDaFish
09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Hell FN NO! He Fn sucks more than any other QB in the league

Ed
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
No thanks. He seemed pretty immature and selfish at times here in Denver and he hasn't seemed to change at all.

HAMMER
09-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Sure, let's bring in a *****ly malcontent who doesn't know the offense, that throws picks at the same rate as our current QB, and has no leadership skills. Brilliant.

BillsOverDolphins
09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
No, this is never going to happen. He's not that great, but 10x the QB Fitz is.

For those saying they wouldn't want him over Fitz, please walk into oncoming traffic and take your genes (kids) with you.

SquishDaFish
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Your an idiot bod

BillsOverDolphins
09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Your an idiot bod

I'm actually one of the only level-headed members on this site, despite the hyperbolic insults I enjoy throwing out.

These are things we know.

Skooby
09-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Isn't Cutler diabetic ??

better days
09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
I would trade a 4th for Cutler & throw in Fitz & Thigpen. I would MUCH prefer to trade for Big Ben however.

SABURZFAN
09-14-2012, 03:49 PM
not a Cutler fan but he is better than Fitz.

Ed
09-14-2012, 03:55 PM
If we need to replace Fitz it should be with a first round draft pick. There's no point in trading for other teams expensive problems.

Mouldsie
09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I would be all for it. Give him some protection and some weapons and he can be lethal. Chan has never had a QB as talented as him.

BertSquirtgum
09-14-2012, 04:14 PM
I would be all for it. Give him some protection and some weapons and he can be lethal. Chan has never had a QB as talented as him.

He had troy aikman.

BillsOverDolphins
09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
He had troy aikman.

To be fair, he had the late-stage, perpetually-concussed Troy Aikman

YardRat
09-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Hell no. The idea is to upgrade the position, not move laterally or make it worse.

Mouldsie
09-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Cutler is not as good as Fitzpatrick? What planet am I on?

The Jokeman
09-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Isn't Cutler diabetic ??

He is and as one I can tell you, don't be around me when I'm on a low blood sugar day and angry as I'm not all that pleasant to be around.

The last buffalo fan
09-14-2012, 05:33 PM
He is and as one I can tell you, don't be around me when I'm on a low blood sugar day and angry as I'm not all that pleasant to be around.

I don't like you anyway.

LarryBoy
09-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Isn't Cutler diabetic ??

Yup Type 1 - nothing that would stop him from playing.

BillsOverDolphins
09-14-2012, 05:40 PM

This is Billszone. Leave your rationality at the door.

kingJofNYC
09-14-2012, 05:41 PM
The question isn't if he's better than Fitz, that much is obvious. It's whether he's worth the trouble and draft selections, answer is no. Not a leader, terrible body language, and even on his best days he's not a top 10 QB.

If you're going to waste resources, you might as well do it via the draft. Trade picks, get near the top, and have a young cost controlled QB for 5 years. Don't need to trade resources and take on salary, which would waste more resources, on a guy like Cutler.

Edit: Lets ask Woodson what he thinks of Cutler.

The Jokeman
09-14-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't like you anyway.

:irule: It's a good thing you aren't coming up this weekend or I'd have to give you an evil glare.

YardRat
09-14-2012, 06:23 PM

If you think upgrading the QB position of this team is accomplished by replacing Fitzpatrick with Cutler, I can't help you. It's a lateral move, at best, and considering the vagina Jay is hiding under his towel it might just be a step backwards.

BillsOverDolphins
09-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Yardrat with more horrible football takes

Buffalogic
09-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Cutler is Fitzpatrick with a stronger arm.

JoeMama
09-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Jay "Candy Boy" Cutler is a scrub.

Piss poor attitude, no leadership qualities, can't handle a little friendly competition, a turnover machine.

If we're gonna pine for a QB, let's at least dream big. Why settle for Cutler?

Fitz may suck, but getting Cutler is a lateral move. He may be light years ahead of Fitz physically, but his mentality is soft as pudding. A total moper.

He's the Eeyore of NFL QB's.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Not after trading for Jackson.

Mouldsie
09-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Cutler is Fitzpatrick with a stronger arm.
Pretty much. Which does make him better. Fitz has one of the worst arms in the league.

Mouldsie
09-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Jay "Candy Boy" Cutler is a scrub.

Piss poor attitude, no leadership qualities, can't handle a little friendly competition, a turnover machine.

If we're gonna pine for a QB, let's at least dream big. Why settle for Cutler?

Fitz may suck, but getting Cutler is a lateral move. He may be light years ahead of Fitz physically, but his mentality is soft as pudding. A total moper.

He's the Eeyore of NFL QB's.

I agree he has not shown great poise or body language. However I think in the right situation he would excel. He did take his team to the NFC title game the last time he made it through a season healthy, a feat that should be applauded playing behind the worst OL in the NFL.

The thing is, in this hypothetical where we could trade for him you have to be convinced you can get a better QB somewhere else not to do so.

I was all in on Suck for Luck. I was all in on trading the farm for RG3. When that wasnt going to happen I hopped on the Russel Wilson bandwagon. I was all in on trading up in 2011 for Ponder/Locker. I believed in those players though. You never heard me clamor for Gabbert/Dalton or Losman to bring it close to home. I could keep going back. We never made any of the right moves (Passing on Brees, Passing on Cutler the 1st time, Getting Bledsoe, Passing on Schaub, etc etc). The point is you can say let's go get a different guy but if that different guy isn't a good player then why bother? Hindsight is 20/20 but if you want to be a good organization you need to evaluate talent accurately and cant bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick and JP Losman and Trent Edwards as your answers. I'd hate to see a situation where this guy became available but we take Andy Dalton 2.0 in the draft instead (yea I know a lot of Bills fans argue that we missed out on him but he's not a long term answer for Cinci IMO; we'll see).

Obviously we ride or die with Fitz this year. If we finish 7-9 we wont be picking the cream of the crop and I'm not yet sure who will be out there and if I believe in any of them (bad sign). If Cutler was a viable option and the only other options are sticking with Fitz or drafting Losman 2.0 or signing Kyle Orton then give me Cutler and let's see what we can happen. Give this team a fighting chance with a QB that can handle RWS and can be considered a top tier talent.

Prov401
09-15-2012, 02:20 AM
I disagree with some of you that say Cutler isn't much of an upgrade over Fitz. Dude is constantly getting pressured. No QB succeeds in the NFL laying on their backs. Given time, he has proven to be efficient. He at least knows what it's like to play in the post-season. That being said, he isn't worth the money he's getting paid. But if he were to be traded, I wouldn't be upset as long as he didn't cost anything higher than a 4th and/or a player or two thrown in.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2012, 05:08 AM
He's well worth the 2nd or 3rd round pick it would take to acquire him.

I doubt the Bears move him though...I mean what are they gonna do?

Start Jason Campbell for half the year?!? Sure.

JoeMama
09-15-2012, 06:53 AM
I agree he has not shown great poise or body language. However I think in the right situation he would excel. He did take his team to the NFC title game the last time he made it through a season healthy, a feat that should be applauded playing behind the worst OL in the NFL.

My only contention with this is I attribute Chicago's success in 2010 to the combination of Matt Forte and the Bears D more so than Jay Cutler (who was fairly pedestrian). And the NFC title game was marred by controversy because Cutler left under dubious circumstances and then appeared completely aloof on the sidelines despite the fact the rest of his team was still out there trying to win a game.

I know 2001 has little relevance to today's NFL, but QB Jim Miller also helped the Bears to a 13-3 record as a game manager while riding the coattails of a good defense. The comparison is dated, of course, but I think the scenario is similar.

The thing is, in this hypothetical where we could trade for him you have to be convinced you can get a better QB somewhere else not to do so.

Yeah but is going for broke in a trade the best route for us?

Cutler has consistently been a 3-to-2 TD/INT ratio passer who absorbs lots of sacks. The notion that we should make a desperate move for Cutler reminds me far too much of our misguided trade for Drew Bledsoe (Dwu Blumbo) in 2002. Another turnover/sack machine who (we hoped) would benefit from a change of scenery. Great intentions, poor results.

The Raiders made a midseason trade for Carson Palmer (another mentally checked-out turnover machine) out of desperation, and that didn't pan out. I know the conditions aren't similar there either, but the sentiment is. A change of scenery rarely alters a QB's genetic make-up. Cutler is what he is. A guy who throws recklessly, takes too many sacks, has a terrible on-field demeanor, inspires no one, and coughs it up too often.

This isn't an implicit endorsement of Fitz by any means but I don't see how a desperate trade for a career underachiever like Cutler makes us significantly better outside of the fact that NFL fans know Cutler as a household name while Fitzpatrick remains a "WHO'S THAT FITZGERALD GUY IN BUFFALO???"

I was all in on Suck for Luck. I was all in on trading the farm for RG3. When that wasnt going to happen I hopped on the Russel Wilson bandwagon. I was all in on trading up in 2011 for Ponder/Locker. I believed in those players though. You never heard me clamor for Gabbert/Dalton or Losman to bring it close to home. I could keep going back. We never made any of the right moves (Passing on Brees, Passing on Cutler the 1st time, Getting Bledsoe, Passing on Schaub, etc etc). The point is you can say let's go get a different guy but if that different guy isn't a good player then why bother? Hindsight is 20/20 but if you want to be a good organization you need to evaluate talent accurately and cant bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick and JP Losman and Trent Edwards as your answers. I'd hate to see a situation where this guy became available but we take Andy Dalton 2.0 in the draft instead (yea I know a lot of Bills fans argue that we missed out on him but he's not a long term answer for Cinci IMO; we'll see).

Reading this portion of your post, I'm shocked how similar our draft boards have been.

I would have pulled a Mike Ditka and given up our whole draft for Andrew Luck. I liked RGIII but not to the same extent. Russell Wilson I felt got a raw deal just because of his height. I liked everything else about him. I loved Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton in 2010, but I have to admit I was not as enamored with Jake Locker. His final season at Washington tempered my enthusiasm.

Another note on Dalton; I watch the Bengals every week alongside the Bills since my buddy is a Cincy fan. I've seen enough poise from Dalton to think he can be a smart, efficient, long-term answer for the Bengals, albeit not necessarily an elite fantasy football kind of passer. He may suffer the usual sophomore slump this season, but I still think he's got long-term potential.

What does the 2013 draft hold in store? That's your territory. I will almost always defer to you where draft acumen is concerned, as you eviscerate college talent year round and post it online for everyone to see.

Then, of course, was the season you insanely predicted like 5 of our draft picks (not necessarily in the right rounds, but who cares). When was that, 2007?

Obviously we ride or die with Fitz this year. If we finish 7-9 we wont be picking the cream of the crop and I'm not yet sure who will be out there and if I believe in any of them (bad sign). If Cutler was a viable option and the only other options are sticking with Fitz or drafting Losman 2.0 or signing Kyle Orton then give me Cutler and let's see what we can happen. Give this team a fighting chance with a QB that can handle RWS and can be considered a top tier talent.

It's hard for me to envision Cutler as a top tier talent in Buffalo. Our line isn't great. Our defense, thus far, looks abysmal. Our coaching staff is on thin ice. There may not be a quick fix.

Plus, Buffalo is a blue collar city and its fans loathe petulance and puerile behavior from their players even more than most fans. At this point in his career, I think Cutler is who we think he is (I'm Denny Green now). I've always felt it's naive to think you can change a person, even more so with a guy like Jay Cutler, who really doesn't have the kind of track record to deserve the red carpet treatment he himself probably feels entitled to.

Albany,n.y.
09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Question: Do the Bills have the balls to trade for Jay Cutler?
Answer: If all Chicago wants are some new footballs, I say go for it, even if they demand some new shoulder pads and a dozen tackling dummies.

starrymessenger
09-15-2012, 03:36 PM
People just don't like guys who are arrogant. Yankee fans were disappointed when Roger Maris beat the Babe's home run record. Why? Because Roger was born surly and Mic was charismatic. If Cutler had a Tim Tebow personality everybody would be on his side. Making matters worse, Jay Cutler really doesn't care what people think and it shows.
Anybody who thinks Cutler is not a major upgrade to Fitz either needs a new brain or has some kind of agenda. After what I've seen from Fitz these last 9 games, I would throw Granny off a speeding roller coaster for Cutler.

Ingtar33
09-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Jeff George v2.0

I'd rather not trade for a locker room cancer you'll never win anything with. What you want to be a perpetual 7-9 team? crazy.

Yes he's better than fitz, no you can't win with him.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Jeff George v2.0

I'd rather not trade for a locker room cancer you'll never win anything with. What you want to be a perpetual 7-9 team? crazy.

Yes he's better than fitz, no you can't win with him.

I wouldn't go that far. He took the Bears to the NFC Title Game in 2010. The Bears were 7-3 with him last year and 1-5 without him.

kishoph
09-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Even if Cutler is an upgrade over Fitz (at this point, not so sure), a temporary fix is not what the Bills need. I think there's a pretty good class of QB's coming out this year and a lot of teams are already set at the position to where there shouldn't be a lot of QB's chosen in the 1st round (IMO), so the Bills should be able to get their QB of the future in this upcoming draft. The Bills have to go QB with their first pick come April. Other than Drew Bledsoe, who had 1 good year with the Bills, they have not had a QB that was capable of taking them anywhere since Jim Kelly, who has been retired for 16 years already. It's been long enough OBD.

feldspar
09-16-2012, 02:13 AM
First of all, the Bears aren't going to trade Cutler. For one thing, they have no chance of contending this year without him. For Christ's sake, the Bears were 7-3 with Cutler last year...they lost to the Saints, Packers, and Lions...no shame there. He went down, then the Bears proceeded to lose the next five games in a row. He's their best chance.

Secondly, anyone that says Cutler isn't considerably better than Fitzpatrick doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Thirdly, the Bears actually DID trade for Cutler in 2009. They gave up two first round picks, a third round pick, and Kyle Orton.

The Bears just traded two 3rds to get Brandon Marshall...a great player, but a problem child.

Yeah, everyone just hates Jay Cutler...EVERYONE. Do you believe this? If it were true, that's the only reason the Bears would really consider trading him, in which case, why would you want him anyway?

feldspar
09-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Other than Drew Bledsoe, who had 1 good year with the Bills, they have not had a QB that was capable of taking them anywhere since Jim Kelly, who has been retired for 16 years already. It's been long enough OBD.

I disagree. I thought Doug Flutie was capable.

kishoph
09-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Yeah, everyone just hates Jay Cutler...EVERYONE. Do you believe this? If it were true, that's the only reason the Bears would really consider trading him, in which case, why would you want him anyway?

I think the problem people have with Cutler (at least me) is his attitude and how he comes across. There's no doubt that his skill is superior to Fitz's, but what will he do to a locker room. There's a good chance after the other nights game that Cutler will lose the Bears locker room, not just because of his performance, but because of his actions and it may seem trivial, but if your teammates don't support you, you're lost. Besides that, I want the Bills to go and get a young QB that they can groom to possibly lead this team for years to come, not a band-aid to help get by for another year or two.

I disagree. I thought Doug Flutie was capable.

You're probably right, for some reason I always draw a blank when it comes to Flutie, not that I didn't think he was good (or capable), I just forget about him for some reason.

Mouldsie
09-16-2012, 04:15 AM
My only contention with this is I attribute Chicago's success in 2010 to the combination of Matt Forte and the Bears D more so than Jay Cutler (who was fairly pedestrian). And the NFC title game was marred by controversy because Cutler left under dubious circumstances and then appeared completely aloof on the sidelines despite the fact the rest of his team was still out there trying to win a game.

I know 2001 has little relevance to today's NFL, but QB Jim Miller also helped the Bears to a 13-3 record as a game manager while riding the coattails of a good defense. The comparison is dated, of course, but I think the scenario is similar.

Yeah but is going for broke in a trade the best route for us?

Cutler has consistently been a 3-to-2 TD/INT ratio passer who absorbs lots of sacks. The notion that we should make a desperate move for Cutler reminds me far too much of our misguided trade for Drew Bledsoe (Dwu Blumbo) in 2002. Another turnover/sack machine who (we hoped) would benefit from a change of scenery. Great intentions, poor results.

The Raiders made a midseason trade for Carson Palmer (another mentally checked-out turnover machine) out of desperation, and that didn't pan out. I know the conditions aren't similar there either, but the sentiment is. A change of scenery rarely alters a QB's genetic make-up. Cutler is what he is. A guy who throws recklessly, takes too many sacks, has a terrible on-field demeanor, inspires no one, and coughs it up too often.

This isn't an implicit endorsement of Fitz by any means but I don't see how a desperate trade for a career underachiever like Cutler makes us significantly better outside of the fact that NFL fans know Cutler as a household name while Fitzpatrick remains a "WHO'S THAT FITZGERALD GUY IN BUFFALO???"

Reading this portion of your post, I'm shocked how similar our draft boards have been.

I would have pulled a Mike Ditka and given up our whole draft for Andrew Luck. I liked RGIII but not to the same extent. Russell Wilson I felt got a raw deal just because of his height. I liked everything else about him. I loved Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton in 2010, but I have to admit I was not as enamored with Jake Locker. His final season at Washington tempered my enthusiasm.

Another note on Dalton; I watch the Bengals every week alongside the Bills since my buddy is a Cincy fan. I've seen enough poise from Dalton to think he can be a smart, efficient, long-term answer for the Bengals, albeit not necessarily an elite fantasy football kind of passer. He may suffer the usual sophomore slump this season, but I still think he's got long-term potential.

What does the 2013 draft hold in store? That's your territory. I will almost always defer to you where draft acumen is concerned, as you eviscerate college talent year round and post it online for everyone to see.

Then, of course, was the season you insanely predicted like 5 of our draft picks (not necessarily in the right rounds, but who cares). When was that, 2007?

It's hard for me to envision Cutler as a top tier talent in Buffalo. Our line isn't great. Our defense, thus far, looks abysmal. Our coaching staff is on thin ice. There may not be a quick fix.

Plus, Buffalo is a blue collar city and its fans loathe petulance and puerile behavior from their players even more than most fans. At this point in his career, I think Cutler is who we think he is (I'm Denny Green now). I've always felt it's naive to think you can change a person, even more so with a guy like Jay Cutler, who really doesn't have the kind of track record to deserve the red carpet treatment he himself probably feels entitled to.

You might be right. I am just desperate for a franchise signal caller.

I've got my eye on Tyler Wilson. I hate Matt Barkley. I have not seen enough from Bray, Geno Smith, or Logan Thomas. My darkhorse Matt Schaub type might be Zac Dysert.

kishoph
09-16-2012, 05:10 AM
You might be right. I am just desperate for a franchise signal caller.

I've got my eye on Tyler Wilson. I hate Matt Barkley. I have not seen enough from Bray, Geno Smith, or Logan Thomas. My darkhorse Matt Schaub type might be Zac Dysert.

I think we'll have a really good shot to get Wilson unless Barkley's stock starts to drop and Wilson is selected first.

BillsOverDolphins
09-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Not a fan of Tyler Wilson at all.

YardRat
09-16-2012, 06:04 AM
I wouldn't go that far. He took the Bears to the NFC Title Game in 2010. The Bears were 7-3 with him last year and 1-5 without him.

Not really that far off IMO. George QB'd two different teams to the playoffs, and Cutler's lone playoff victory was against a Seattle team that really didn't belong. Lost at home, to boot, in the championship game.