PDA

View Full Version : CJ Spiller

ghz in pittsburgh
09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I never watched OJ play in Buffalo. It was before my time. One guy who watched today's game with me said that Spiller is the most natural RB in Buffalo that he saw since OJ, Thurman included.

Of course it is way too early to talk about Spiller in those lights. I just feel that the way the O-Line is right now, it might be perfect for Spiller to run into limelights. Jackson is still more savvy and knows how to deal when the O-line is not that great. But Nix and Co. has made improvement there to make it happen for Spiller.

Pretty soon opposing teams are going to stack up the line and mirror Spiller every single snap, starting with the Browns. We'll see if Fitz is up to the task then. To me, I'm still seeing a below average Fitz out there today, and teams will make him to beat them ...

coastal
09-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Spiller is the real deal.

Night Train
09-16-2012, 05:06 PM
I never watched OJ play in Buffalo. It was before my time. One guy who watched today's game with me said that Spiller is the most natural RB in Buffalo that he saw since OJ, Thurman included.

Of course it is way too early to talk about Spiller in those lights. I just feel that the way the O-Line is right now, it might be perfect for Spiller to run into limelights. Jackson is still more savvy and knows how to deal when the O-line is not that great. But Nix and Co. has made improvement there to make it happen for Spiller.

Pretty soon opposing teams are going to stack up the line and mirror Spiller every single snap, starting with the Browns. We'll see if Fitz is up to the task then. To me, I'm still seeing a below average Fitz out there today, and teams will make him to beat them ...

It would be savvy if Jackson could stay healthy and be effective in real time. Hasn't happened since midpoint last season.

Right now, Spiller is excellent... in real time.

I didn't think of Fred Jackson once today.

BillsOverDolphins
09-16-2012, 05:10 PM
He alone is worth the price of admission.

Ed
09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
He needed 122 yards today to stay on pace for 2,000 for the season. He got 123. Nice.

Philagape
09-16-2012, 05:56 PM
From stat guru @mikehaim -- Spiller's average of 10.1 yards per carry is the best average after 2 games since Jim Brown in 1963 (11.3).

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Spiller brings the ability to take it to the house every single time he touches the ball. The Bills haven't had that kind of an impact player since...I'm not sure they've ever had a player with his dynamics.

Night Train
09-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Spiller brings the ability to take it to the house every single time he touches the ball. The Bills haven't had that kind of an impact player since...I'm not sure they've ever had a player with his dynamics.

O.J. Simpson

streetkings01
09-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Spiller brings the ability to take it to the house every single time he touches the ball. The Bills haven't had that kind of an impact player since...I'm not sure they've ever had a player with his dynamics.Since I've been a fan of the Bills(1990) we have never had a dynamic player in the backfield like Spiller. McGahee was supposed to be that guy for us, but his knee was so shredded he never regained his 4.2/4.3 speed and turned into just a plodding back for us.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
That's the reason they drafted him.

QBs are automatic because they have the ball almost 100% of the time and if you can get a guy people are afraid that he's going to score every time he throws (I actually had guys telling me during Kelly's years how scared they were every time Kelly was back to throw), you are almost assured a winner. RB of that feature is a close 2nd. Occasionally you have guys like Moss in his prime scares you but he still needs a capable QB.

DynaPaul
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
CJ is awesome, no doubt, but he will have an off game from time to time. That's when Fitz needs to step up and stop missing easy throws. Seriously, what's the deal with this guy? He had people wide open and still under/over threw them. That's just not acceptable.

Oaf
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
What would McGahee have been like w/o the injury?

BillsOverDolphins
09-16-2012, 08:33 PM

AMAZING. I saw his entire college career (season tix to The U), and the last home game was espeically something--rushed for 6 tds on the Virginia Tech D. Should've been 7, but the Canes tried to get too cute on the goal line with some Dorsey reception that went awry. He was amazing, though

You know who his b/u was, that only played 4th quarters but avg'd 9.1 ypc for awhile? Frank Gore.

The 1999-2002 Miami Hurricanes represent the best collective football talent in history.

justasportsfan
09-16-2012, 09:00 PM
he was a horrible pick. What a bust!!!! wait, who said that? :refuse:

come out whoever you are

better days
09-16-2012, 10:04 PM

come out whoever you are

Well, if everyone that said Spiller was a bust & a wasted pick came out & admitted it, this thread would swell to 7-8 pages.

gloveus
09-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Seeing these last two games (including the 2nd half of last year) has really gone a long way in showing us the kind of game changer Spiller is. I'm curious to know what you guys think this means about the coaching staff. I mean, this is the same RB that was playing second fiddle to Jackson, and still would be if Freddie hadn't gotten injured. Don't get me wrong, I love Fred and am a huge fan of what he represents and what he's done for us, but with the game-breaking ability C.J. has, you have to give him the ball as much as possible. Is it that Chan is loyal to a fault? Or even worse, does this team just not recognize talent or know how to use it? It isn't like Spiller just suddenly got a huge boost in ability overnight. Going into his 3rd season, I would hope what he has accomplished isn't coming as a complete surprise to the coaches.

Syderick
09-17-2012, 12:39 AM
They should just keep giving him the ball. Rushing or receiving, make Spiller the game-plan.

kishoph
09-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Seeing these last two games (including the 2nd half of last year) has really gone a long way in showing us the kind of game changer Spiller is. I'm curious to know what you guys think this means about the coaching staff. I mean, this is the same RB that was playing second fiddle to Jackson, and still would be if Freddie hadn't gotten injured. Don't get me wrong, I love Fred and am a huge fan of what he represents and what he's done for us, but with the game-breaking ability C.J. has, you have to give him the ball as much as possible. Is it that Chan is loyal to a fault? Or even worse, does this team just not recognize talent or know how to use it? It isn't like Spiller just suddenly got a huge boost in ability overnight. Going into his 3rd season, I would hope what he has accomplished isn't coming as a complete surprise to the coaches.

One thing that bugs me about Gailey, is it seems that he may be loyal to his starters to a fault, I've been wanting Spiller to get the ball more, since his rookie year. As much as I didn't like seeing Spiller limited, how much has Gailey taking his time developing him played into how he is performing right now, Spiller's style is completely different than when he first came into the league. He is showing great patience running the ball and using his blockers, his pass protection has looked strong. It looks like he really understands his position and the game. He looks like he's a lot more than just raw talent. I think the Bills have something really special in Spiller and I think that Gailey deserves some credit in developing him, along with Fred Jackson, whom I assume has also played a big role in Spiller's development. I can only hope that they use Spiller to his full potential and that includes that when Jackson gets back (as much as I like him), Spiller remains the #1 back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/chiefs-win-splash-12.jpg

Historian
09-17-2012, 04:33 AM
He's kind of like a more muscular Joe Cribbs.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2012, 05:29 AM
The Bills would never had a chance of drafting him then. He'd have been a top 5 pick that year.

kishoph
09-17-2012, 05:30 AM
In two games on 29 carries, Spiller has 292 yds, (#1), is averaging 10.1 yds a carry (#1), with 3 TD's (#1). He also has 5 receptions for 72 yards averaging 14.4 yds. a reception (#1). What a great start to the season.

kishoph
09-17-2012, 05:34 AM

The Bills would never had a chance of drafting him then. He's be a top 5 pick that year.

He might have been the top pick without the injury, that years top pick was Carson Palmer.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2012, 05:37 AM
I don't know I'd fault the coaching staff on this. It was clear two years ago when they handed him the staring job that CJ was not ready. That carries a big memory impact to coaches than they admit. I gave CJ credit though. Every time I saw him in the news/interviews, he was not frustrated, pouting for not being the starter but admitting that he needed to work his game. You can see noticeable difference in his blocking last year, which is one of his big short comings out of college. I remembered that he said that he needs to add to his upper body strength at the end of last year, and you are see a difference this year. he can actually fight through people a bit now, no longer a finger-nail-and-go-down primedonna. Guy last this need a chance to show their stuff when you have a jackson in front of you.

better days
09-17-2012, 06:14 AM
He's kind of like a more muscular Joe Cribbs.

I was a fan of Joe Cribbs. Watched him play many games at Rich Stadium. I promise you Cribbs did not have anywhere near the speed Spiller has.

better days
09-17-2012, 06:16 AM
The Bills would never had a chance of drafting him then. He'd have been a top 5 pick that year.

Well, with the injury, McGahee should not have been drafted until the 4th rnd. What a waste of a pick.

Cali512
09-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Well, with the injury, McGahee should not have been drafted until the 4th rnd. What a waste of a pick.

He did very good while here dude, look it up

Hes had 2 double digit plus TDs, and spent most of his career here with 1200 yds a season

Historian
09-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Okay, a smaller Greg Bell.

better days
09-17-2012, 07:05 AM
He did very good while here dude, look it up

Hes had 2 double digit plus TDs, and spent most of his career here with 1200 yds a season

What are you talking about? He did not even play his rookie year. ZERO yds. In 4 years with Buffalo he went over 1000 yds twice. BIG DEAL. There have been many RBs drafted after the first rnd that have gone over 1000 yds.

better days
09-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Okay, a smaller Greg Bell.

I think Thurman Thomas is the best comparison to Spiller myself. Both are all purpose backs that can catch the ball as well as run with it. If Thermal had not injured his knee in College, he may have been close to Spillers speed.

Typ0
09-17-2012, 07:31 AM
CJ has all the physical tools...but I gotta say seeing him run the last two games the guy looks like a genius now. He makes it look so easy and organic. I have to give the coaching staff credit on this one they have developed him to this point. It just goes to show you when you match someone who is willing to learn with good teachers what you end up with...

jdaltroy5
09-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Doesn't matter because he would've been gone WAY before we picked without that injury.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2012, 08:08 AM
I think Thurman Thomas is the best comparison to Spiller myself. Both are all purpose backs that can catch the ball as well as run with it. If Thermal had not injured his knee in College, he may have been close to Spillers speed.

I noticed that CJ lined deeper than Jackson used to, probably by design to slow him from hitting the hole too soon and letting the blocking develops. Over time, I think they will line him up normal so he can make those quick 1, 2 yard gains as well as looking for a big play that takes more blocking to develop.

THRILLHO
09-17-2012, 08:21 AM

come out whoever you are

This guy, right here. We had no reason to draft him with Jackson AND Lynch on the roster. I still feel that way. But Spiller has been exceptional since the close of last season and it sure is exciting watching him play.

better days
09-17-2012, 08:44 AM
This guy, right here. We had no reason to draft him with Jackson AND Lynch on the roster. I still feel that way. But Spiller has been exceptional since the close of last season and it sure is exciting watching him play.

I was a big fan of Lynch myself. Pissed when he was traded for a 4th rnd pick. I guess he wore out his welcome in Buffalo with the front office. Thank God Hairston is playing like a late first or early 2nd rnd pick than a 4th.

justasportsfan
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
One thing that bugs me about Gailey, is it seems that he may be loyal to his starters to a fault, I've been wanting Spiller to get the ball more, since his rookie year. As much as I didn't like seeing Spiller limited, how much has Gailey taking his time developing him played into how he is performing right now, Spiller's style is completely different than when he first came into the league. He is showing great patience running the ball and using his blockers, his pass protection has looked strong. It looks like he really understands his position and the game. He looks like he's a lot more than just raw talent. I think the Bills have something really special in Spiller and I think that Gailey deserves some credit in developing him, along with Fred Jackson, whom I assume has also played a big role in Spiller's development. I can only hope that they use Spiller to his full potential and that includes that when Jackson gets back (as much as I like him), Spiller remains the #1 back.

with all due respect ,this is not true at all. Under Gailey you produce/perform to earn your spot on the team. Gailey not only benched Trent, they also sent him packing. The same can be said about Lee Evans who although didn't have a lot of yards, he was still better than Donald Jones when he was sent packing. Dwan Edwards and Merrimman are gone as well.

Spiller couldn't see the field because Freddie was performing and producing.

DrGraves
09-17-2012, 09:10 AM
cant wait for the madden roster update! spillerrr!

JoeMama
09-17-2012, 09:13 AM
OMG anybody get a load of this kid in the #28 jersey???

He must be new but he's good!

Sleeper alert, you guys.

CoolBreeze
09-17-2012, 09:27 AM
with all due respect ,this is not true at all. Under Gailey you produce/perform to earn your spot on the team. Gailey not only benched Trent, they also sent him packing. The same can be said about Lee Evans who although didn't have a lot of yards, he was still better than Donald Jones when he was sent packing. Dwan Edwards and Merrimman are gone as well.

Spiller couldn't see the field because Freddie was performing and producing.

hahahaha Yeah Lee was a better option than Jones... in 2008. I remember people crying, and crying when he left last year. " This team sucks" etc etc as I recall it. I even challenged the people on this board that exclaimed he was going for 80 rec 1000+ yds and 10 TD's with the Ravens. What a joke, he's still jobless i believe, and he was not a better option than Jones. When he left he was 30, lost a step, and refused to run any routes that involved him getting hit. He couldn't just run the streak forever.

justasportsfan
09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
hahahaha Yeah Lee was a better option than Jones... in 2008. I remember people crying, and crying when he left last year. " This team sucks" etc etc as I recall it. I even challenged the people on this board that exclaimed he was going for 80 rec 1000+ yds and 10 TD's with the Ravens. What a joke, he's still jobless i believe, and he was not a better option than Jones. When he left he was 30, lost a step, and refused to run any routes that involved him getting hit. He couldn't just run the streak forever.

Getting rid of Lee was questionable since he was being replaced by Donald who? But I knew he just wasn't Gailey's type of wr and understood what they were trying to do. Funny thing is that they drafted another Lee Evans last year . TJ Graham.

gebobs
09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
In two games on 29 carries, Spiller has 292 yds, (#1), is averaging 10.1 yds a carry (#1), with 3 TD's (#1). He also has 5 receptions for 72 yards averaging 14.4 yds. a reception (#1). What a great start to the season.16 touches per game...not nearly enough. But I gues it's tiring running 30 yards at a clip several times a game.

Night Train
09-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Lynch was already wearing his welcome out.

When the 2 OT's were gone by pick #6, Plan B was Spiller and Lynch was immediately being shopped. Not saying I agreed with it then but I understood why.

Spiller finally learned how to set up his blockers and explode once they had a hat on the opposing D.

Mr. Pink
09-17-2012, 05:43 PM
I find it odd the same people who were mocking the Saints on Bush and subsequently the Fish for getting Bush are huge proponents of Spiller.

Bush and Spiller are basically the same player.

justasportsfan
09-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I find it odd the same people who were mocking the Saints on Bush and subsequently the Fish for getting Bush are huge proponents of Spiller.

Bush and Spiller are basically the same player.

so far CJ looks like an every down back and more and you thought Gailey doesn't like to run the ball ;)

Mr. Pink
09-17-2012, 09:28 PM
so far CJ looks like an every down back and more and you thought Gailey doesn't like to run the ball ;)

Spiller had 15 carries yesterday. Don't get all excited.

I do love when people pick out one game to try and prove a point on a coach.

gebobs
09-17-2012, 09:43 PM
O.J. Simpson
Eff OJ.

TigerJ
09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
I think Spiller is a great fit for Buffalo. Gailey's spread combined with a now very good offensive line is taylor made for getting a running back to the second level, which is exactly where Spiller is at his most dangerous. It is true that defenses are going to start trying to figure out how to key on Spiller to try and take that away from the Bills. For that reason Fitzpatrick has to be capable of being more than just a "game manager." If he's capable of that he will have some opportunities to put up some really gaudy QB numbers. That's one of the big "ifs" on the Bills right now.

better days
09-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Spiller had 15 carries yesterday. Don't get all excited.

I do love when people pick out one game to try and prove a point on a coach.

Spiller is the first RB since the GREAT Jim Brown in 1960 to average over 10 yds per carry in the first two games of the season & leads the league in rushing. He is off to a pretty good start I would say.