PDA

View Full Version : Would you say the we're now a run first type team ?

Skooby
09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Well ??

BillsOverDolphins
09-16-2012, 08:56 PM
There's reality, and then there's what Chan thinks. Unfortunately, those are two very different things.

BertSquirtgum
09-16-2012, 08:58 PM
If Chan isn't a complete ****** we would be. Hopefully he realized what most of us have, that Fitz isn't good and shouldn't throw the ball as much as he was last year. It gives him more time to **** up.

MTBillsFan
09-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Start of the second half...3 passes and out. Spiller is having another awesome game. WTF? Why not run Spiller every play?

Novacane
09-16-2012, 09:04 PM
We should be...............but we won't. Maybe after Fitz blows another game or two Chan will wise up.

BillsOverDolphins
09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Start of the second half...3 passes and out. Spiller is having another awesome game. WTF? Why not run Spiller every play?

Exactly. Even if you wanted to play Devil's Advocate and say "We shouldn't overload C.J. with carries," than that's fine--but use Choice or White then. We're up 21-0 and there's no reason to come out gunning until the Chiefs prove they can stop the run.

kingJofNYC
09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Today we were. We'll see in the future. I can't stress enough how poor Chandler is in the run blocking part of his game. Lee Smith is a great blocker but not much a receiving threat, combine the two and you have a dangerous player that rarely comes off the field. We have to games close and minimize fits. Everything should run through, Chandler/Spiller/Johnson/Jackson, those are weapons.

Teams will load up the box with more than 6 even if we spread them out. At that point what does Chan & Co. do?

Mindbender
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I hope so. In the presser Gailey did say he would prefer doing what we saw today more. I was like....what?

Skooby
09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I hope so. In the presser Gailey did say he would prefer doing what we saw today more. I was like....what?

That's the reason I'm asking this, I'm not clear as to how we're utilizing our talent. It's easy to say Ryan had a good game or the WR didn't make plays but it's fairly clear to me that our QB isn't capable of much past being serviceable.

imbondz
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Were still trying to figure out who we are. No solid identity

TigerJ
09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't think so. I think Chan Gailey, even more than some other head coaches, will change his game plan based on the perceive strengths and weaknesses of the opponent. He thought the run would work well versus the Chiefs, and he was right. I think he will come to very different conclusions about some other opponents he faces this season. I think one piece of good news for the Bills coming fromthe first two games is that opponents will have to respect the ability of the Bills to move the ball on the ground. As future opponents load up to try and stop the run, that may make it easier to pass.

Ed
09-16-2012, 09:48 PM
But he also said it will depend on the week and that if teams load the box they'll be forced to pass.

Skooby
09-16-2012, 10:09 PM
But he also said it will depend on the week and that if teams load the box they'll be forced to pass.

That is what's so scary to me, how can't he see that pass first isn't an option?

Extremebillsfan247
09-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Well ??
It certainly looks, sounds that way judging by yesterday's game, also with comments made by Gailey this morning, and Nix on Friday. With Fitzpatrick struggling, Fred Jackson and David Nelson injured, I think it's almost forcing this team to change its gameplan on offense. They can't spread teams out effectively now with CJ being needed to carry the load in the running game. JMO

clumping platelets
09-17-2012, 07:52 AM
I do not care as long as we score more points than our opponent.

buffalobillsfan95
09-17-2012, 08:00 AM
We have a weird team this year. I feel like we won't have a real identity this year

To me this is like a college team. We change the way we Play every week. Like its 50 passes and 15-20 carries or 30 carries and 20 passes.

To cut the chase, I mean we might be a different team every gamed day. Making different adjustments for every player for every team. Which Is like a high risk high reward if successful

Skooby
09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
We have a weird team this year. I feel like we won't have a real identity this year

To me this is like a college team. We change the way we Play every week. Like its 50 passes and 15-20 carries or 30 carries and 20 passes.

To cut the chase, I mean we might be a different team every gamed day. Making different adjustments for every player for every team. Which Is like a high risk high reward if successful

True deal man, it's different.

justasportsfan
09-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Don't think we're a run first team. Chan will make calls depending on what the D gives us.

cookie G
09-17-2012, 09:57 AM
The threat of a pass set up many of the big plays yesterday.

For example, on the Spiller draw for the TD...

Hali is pass rushing on the play, Glenn just took him where he wanted to go, which was way out of the play;
Levitre sealed the DT. These 2 blocks opened the huge hole.

That's all good, but the threat of the pass turned it from a 3-5 yard gain to a TD...

Presnap, Chandler goes in motion to the right, taking Derrick Johnson with him. At the snap, DJ kept following him.
On the left side, the side of the run, there were 2 DB's playing man on the 2 WR's playing on the left. Donald Jones was in the slot, I think it was SJ out wide.

Both took their DB's with them on pass routes. By the time either realized it was a run, Spiller was in the end zone.

When you say "run first", I wouldn't say in a traditional, smash mouth sense. Gailey does very well with keeping teams off balance and setting them up.

Skooby
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
The threat of a pass set up many of the big plays yesterday.

For example, on the Spiller draw for the TD...

Hali is pass rushing on the play, Glenn just took him where he wanted to go, which was way out of the play;
Levitre sealed the DT. These 2 blocks opened the huge hole.

That's all good, but the threat of the pass turned it from a 3-5 yard gain to a TD...

Presnap, Chandler goes in motion to the right, taking Derrick Johnson with him. At the snap, DJ kept following him.
On the left side, the side of the run, there were 2 DB's playing man on the 2 WR's playing on the left. Donald Jones was in the slot, I think it was SJ out wide.

Both took their DB's with them on pass routes. By the time either realized it was a run, Spiller was in the end zone.

When you say "run first", I wouldn't say in a traditional, smash mouth sense. Gailey does very well with keeping teams off balance and setting them up.

Nice post.

JoeMama
09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't think anybody is very comfortable with the idea of Fitz slinging it 50 times a game.

I just hope Chan doesn't "outsmart" himself and go for wacky passes on a drive where the running game is in full force.

Which is a bad habit of Chan's and it's not something I expect to stop.

But I like the idea of having an offense that adapts to the schemes it's up against. If a team stacks the box, I'm okay with Fitz throwing a little more. But the general idea should be to use our waterbug to full effect.

Spiller is a gamebreaker and should be the centerpiece of the offense.

djjimkelly
09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
i hope we are not a run first team. its real simple i want chan to be a whatever it takes this sunday offense. if we are playing a team that is stout vs the run im not saying abandon the run but throw 40 with well timed draws and so on mixed in. if we are playing the jets and all their cbs i hope chan can run them over in week.

i hope we become a true gameplan team