PDA

View Full Version : Cordy Glenn gets some love from Peter King

Jeff1220
09-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Dr. Z Unsung Man in the Trenches of the Week

The award for the offensive lineman who was the biggest factor for his team in the weekend's games, named for my friend Paul Zimmerman, the longtime SI football writer struggling in New Jersey to recover from three strokes in November 2008. Zim, a former collegiate offensive lineman himself, loved watching offensive line play.

Cordy Glenn, T, Buffalo. C.J. Spiller followed up a 169-yard performance last week with a 123-yarder Sunday against Kansas City, becoming the first back since Jim Brown in 1963 to have an average of more than 10 yards per rush after two weeks of a season. Against K.C., Glenn had a key block on the opening touchdown, a short pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Scott Chandler, and a few minutes later sprung Spiller on his first touchdown run of the day, a five-yarder, with a crushing block. And on the third scoring drive by the Bills, Glenn made a block to help spring Spiller for 27. Not bad for the 41st pick in the draft, starting as a rookie at the toughest spot on the line.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/16/week-2/index.html#ixzz26jYak2l4

Skooby
09-17-2012, 08:41 AM
He is the real deal.

justasportsfan
09-17-2012, 08:57 AM
it's early yet just like it was too early to call him a mistake in preseason.

billsburgh
09-17-2012, 08:59 AM
but all of the draft 'experts' insisted that Cordy could not play left tackle in the NFL.

jdaltroy5
09-17-2012, 09:00 AM
I really think he's going to be something special.

Let's turn him into one of the best LTs in the league and then trade him off for a late first rounder.

Successful drafting, Buffalo style.

ParanoidAndroid
09-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Is it me, or does King have the chronology of the game wrong here? Whatever.... I like the main point.

ICRockets
09-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I was gonna make a thread giving him some love, but I'm glad to see one already exists. I didn't love the pick when we made it, but after that game I think Cordy could be the real deal. Not only was he solid on the line, but as a lead blocker downfield he was a menace. When a guy that size can move like he did, that's a scary thing for defenses.

cookie G
09-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I went back before bed and rewound a few quarters, watching him in particular. We haven't had that type of run blocking from the LT since Peters. He rarely misses his guy, and when the need presents itself, he moves people rather than just sealing him off. He had a few pancakes, Dorsey at least once, Derrick Johnson once, and I actually felt sorry for the Chief's DB (Arenas, I think) on the on TD run.

I only saw him get beat on pass pro once, but that might have been a blocking assignment error. Hali slipped to the inside and Levitre missed him too.

BTW, for those who think Gailey was being "too cute" on his play calling...the run calls were fantastic. On nearly every big run, the play had not only the DL, but the LB's and DB's flowing away from the ball, rather than to it. Some of that was through misdirection, some of it was that the Chief's were clearly thinking pass when it was a running play. Not all of them work, of course, thus the plays that make him look "too cute".

But most of them did work.

He killed Romeo Crennel in the chess match yesterday.

Michael82
09-17-2012, 09:54 AM
I loved watching him crush his guy on that one touchdown. He had several other good blocks too. I was even talking to the guy next to me and we laughed at Mel Kiper who said he couldn't play tackle in the NFL and was strictly a guard.

mrbojanglezs
09-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Mike Mayock can suck it, guard my ass.

Ed
09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
I loved the pick when we made it, but I had my concerns during preseason. Glenn was great yesterday though, and Spiller mentioned him specifically also during his post game press conference.

I can't remember the last time I really liked our O-line, but I like this one a lot. I even like our depth with Hairston and Rinehart.

MTBillsFan
09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Dude's going to be a stud. My dad thought he looked like Howard "house" Ballard from the early 90's.

kingJofNYC
09-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I went back before bed and rewound a few quarters, watching him in particular. We haven't had that type of run blocking from the LT since Peters. He rarely misses his guy, and when the need presents itself, he moves people rather than just sealing him off. He had a few pancakes, Dorsey at least once, Derrick Johnson once, and I actually felt sorry for the Chief's DB (Arenas, I think) on the on TD run.

I only saw him get beat on pass pro once, but that might have been a blocking assignment error. Hali slipped to the inside and Levitre missed him too.

BTW, for those who think Gailey was being "too cute" on his play calling...the run calls were fantastic. On nearly every big run, the play had not only the DL, but the LB's and DB's flowing away from the ball, rather than to it. Some of that was through misdirection, some of it was that the Chief's were clearly thinking pass when it was a running play. Not all of them work, of course, thus the plays that make him look "too cute".

You can get on Gailey for his playcalling at times, or his devotion to Fitz, but the way draws up the run game week after week is really fun to watch. Jimmy Johnson made a point of it last year, and it's held since. One of the best in the league at drawing up the run.

Mahdi
09-17-2012, 11:30 AM
but all of the draft 'experts' insisted that Cordy could not play left tackle in the NFL.

Which made no sense considering his experience there in college as well as his impressive measurables. 36" arms and 10 1/8 in hands. Not to mention his mobility.

Historian
09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought Pears had two good games too.

He's mean and nasty.

YardRat
09-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Glenn has been more than a pleasant surprise...he was one of the few bright spots in the loss to the Jets, actually, as well as putting in a )dare I say it?) almost dominant performance yesterday. He really gets to the second level effectively.

starrymessenger
09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

I too noticed the Chiefs DB (Arenas?). It was hilarious. He looked like a pedestrian back peddling as a skyscraper is about to fall on him.

starrymessenger
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I loved watching him crush his guy on that one touchdown. He had several other good blocks too. I was even talking to the guy next to me and we laughed at Mel Kiper who said he couldn't play tackle in the NFL and was strictly a guard.
The fact that he projects as a pro bowl guard does not mean that he cannot become a pro bowl tackle. He reminds me a lot of you know who downfield in the run game.

Goobylal
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I really think he's going to be something special.

Let's turn him into one of the best LTs in the league and then trade him off for a late first rounder.

Successful drafting, Buffalo style.
Peters was undrafted. And his career is over after 3 (2 of them good) years in Philly. Bell, who was drafted, is no loss.

And if Glenn doesn't act like a richard and continues to put in the effort, he'll be re-signed.

Goobylal
09-17-2012, 08:48 PM

I think that the Wildcat deep in their territory was dumb. Other than that, I think Gailey called a good game.

However I think that Fitz scrambling added another dimension to the offense that's been lacking for awhile. I think that Gailey has been trying to make Fitz a pure pocket passer, and Fitz is loathe to run when the opp presents itself. IMHO he needs to run a few designed scramble plays early to get into the heads of the defense...early.

Goobylal
09-17-2012, 08:52 PM
The fact that he projects as a pro bowl guard does not mean that he cannot become a pro bowl tackle. He reminds me a lot of you know who downfield in the run game.
Immediately after the draft, when grading the Bills' draft, many panned the pick because they didn't think he could be a LT. However most said he could be a Pro Bowl OG, and he was picked at 41. It made no sense to me.

The Jokeman
09-17-2012, 08:59 PM
I think that the Wildcat deep in their territory was dumb. Other than that, I think Gailey called a good game.

However I think that Fitz scrambling added another dimension to the offense that's been lacking for awhile. I think that Gailey has been trying to make Fitz a pure pocket passer, and Fitz is loathe to run when the opp presents itself. IMHO he needs to run a few designed scramble plays early to get into the heads of the defense...early.

I don't think Gailey is making Fitz a pocket passer, look at his history everyone comments on his work with Kordell Stewart but look at the number Jay Fiedler put up with Miami. He rushed for nearly 300 yards the two years Gailey was OC there. As many mentioned before Gailey does a great job at developing a running game from the RBs and then tries to plays to the rest of his players strengths. I mean he's making two 7th Rounders (Fitz and Stevie) look quite good. Now do I want a better QB than Fitz, sure but I honestly don't think a rookie would play better this year as outside of Stevie we have several question marks in the rest of the passing game. Chandler is starting to step up as a starter but still need another outside WR to help out.

In terms of Glenn, yeah I know he was "matched up" against Hali but it wasn't a one on one matchup being the Chiefs play a 3-4 and I can't even tell you who the Jets right DE is. So I will commend him on doing a good job but not ready to say he's a starting LT until I see him matched up against a real DE. Justin Smith of the 49ers will be a fitting test but even he's not a great pass rusher.

Goobylal
09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't think Gailey is making Fitz a pocket passer, look at his history everyone comments on his work with Kordell Stewart but look at the number Jay Fiedler put up with Miami. He rushed for nearly 300 yards the two years Gailey was OC there. As many mentioned before Gailey does a great job at developing a running game from the RBs and then tries to plays to the rest of his players strengths. I mean he's making two 7th Rounders (Fitz and Stevie) look quite good. Now do I want a better QB than Fitz, sure but I honestly don't think a rookie would play better this year as outside of Stevie we have several question marks in the rest of the passing game. Chandler is starting to step up as a starter but still need another outside WR to help out.

In terms of Glenn, yeah I know he was "matched up" against Hali but it wasn't a one on one matchup being the Chiefs play a 3-4 and I can't even tell you who the Jets right DE is. So I will commend him on doing a good job but not ready to say he's a starting LT until I see him matched up against a real DE. Justin Smith of the 49ers will be a fitting test but even he's not a great pass rusher.
When Fitz first became the starter, he scrambled a lot more than he does now. I don't know if it was Gailey or Fitz, but it seems like someone wanted him to be purely a pocket passer. Again having a few early designed scrambles will mess with the opposing defense's heads.

CleveSteve
09-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I watched the game you guys had vs. KC and wow, Glenn was a monster! I really liked him coming into the draft and was flabbergasted when my browns passed on him for Mitchell Schwartz, but even a fan like me was amazed at the dude's feet. He moved great! I knew he was going to knock people over, but his mobility was amazing. Real steal for you guys.

It looked like towards the end of the game he came out and Hairston moved over to LT. Was that just because the game was in hand? Or did Glenn have some issue? Thanks guys.

Ed
09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I watched the game you guys had vs. KC and wow, Glenn was a monster! I really liked him coming into the draft and was flabbergasted when my browns passed on him for Mitchell Schwartz, but even a fan like me was amazed at the dude's feet. He moved great! I knew he was going to knock people over, but his mobility was amazing. Real steal for you guys.

It looked like towards the end of the game he came out and Hairston moved over to LT. Was that just because the game was in hand? Or did Glenn have some issue? Thanks guys.
I think Gailey said during the press conference that they were just trying to get everyone in the game at the end for the experience and to protect starters from injury.

cookie G
09-18-2012, 12:33 PM
With all the love Glenn gets in the game, Hairston still gets my vote for the block of the game.

Watch what he does to Derrick Johnson on Spiller's 38 yard run.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091605/2012/REG2/chiefs@bills#menu=highlights&tab=recap

gebobs
09-18-2012, 02:38 PM
My favorite was the screen to Spiller to set up Chandler's TD. Glenn and Levitre were 30 yards downfield making blocks.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-19-2012, 01:56 AM
when i saw him play against lsu, and then saw how big and his numbers at the combine, i knew he was going to be good... plus, he started for 4 years in the sec... duh!

kishoph
09-19-2012, 05:01 AM

On the first 5 offensive series Gailey opened up with a running play on 1st down. I can't even remember the last time that may have happened. I hope that they stay committed to the run game, with the way the backs have been running, plus the play of the O-line, it's a good recipe for success. A passing game can be exciting and fast paced, but a good running game can really wear down an opponent, both physically and mentally. I love the attitude a strong run game brings.

With all the love Glenn gets in the game, Hairston still gets my vote for the block of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091605/2012/REG2/chiefs@bills#menu=highlights&tab=recap

The O-line is playing with a nasty attitude, On Chandler's TD, I loved seeing them work over Tamba Hali, within seconds every member of the line was ready to pounce on him. How awesome is it to see the Big man (Glenn) pulling and leading a back down the field.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2012, 05:55 AM

How nice is it to actually have depth on the offensive line again?

Goobylal
09-20-2012, 08:53 AM
How nice is it to actually have depth on the offensive line again?
Nice to have a young, talented, and deep OL that is mostly tied-up until at least the end of 2013 (except for Levitre).

Ed
09-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Nice to have a young, talented, and deep OL that is mostly tied-up until at least the end of 2013 (except for Levitre).
I fully expect Levitre to get extended at some point before the season ends, but I believe Urbik and Rinehart are both playing on 1 year deals. So all of our guards are scheduled to be UFA's after this season...

better days
09-20-2012, 10:00 AM

Many starters were pulled in the 4th qtr on both offense & defense.

Goobylal
09-20-2012, 11:16 AM
I fully expect Levitre to get extended at some point before the season ends, but I believe Urbik and Rinehart are both playing on 1 year deals. So all of our guards are scheduled to be UFA's after this season...
I looked at Rotoworld.com and they had Urbik and Rinehart listed as RFA's next year. But that looks like it's wrong. So yeah, they need to get re-signing some guys.

Ed
09-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I looked at Rotoworld.com and they had Urbik and Rinehart listed as RFA's next year. But that looks like it's wrong. So yeah, they need to get re-signing some guys.
I know they were both RFA's this past off-season so I'm assuming they would both be UFA's after this season, but I guess I don't know that for sure.