• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Cordy Glenn gets some love from Peter King

Dr. Z Unsung Man in the Trenches of the Week

The award for the offensive lineman who was the biggest factor for his team in the weekend's games, named for my friend Paul Zimmerman, the longtime SI football writer struggling in New Jersey to recover from three strokes in November 2008. Zim, a former collegiate offensive lineman himself, loved watching offensive line play.

Cordy Glenn, T, Buffalo. C.J. Spiller followed up a 169-yard performance last week with a 123-yarder Sunday against Kansas City, becoming the first back since Jim Brown in 1963 to have an average of more than 10 yards per rush after two weeks of a season. Against K.C., Glenn had a key block on the opening touchdown, a short pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Scott Chandler, and a few minutes later sprung Spiller on his first touchdown run of the day, a five-yarder, with a crushing block. And on the third scoring drive by the Bills, Glenn made a block to help spring Spiller for 27. Not bad for the 41st pick in the draft, starting as a rookie at the toughest spot on the line.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz26jYak2l4
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Cordy Glenn gets some love from Peter King

He is the real deal.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

it's early yet just like it was too early to call him a mistake in preseason.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• billsburgh
        • Jul 2003

but all of the draft 'experts' insisted that Cordy could not play left tackle in the NFL.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
          • Aug 2012

I really think he's going to be something special.

Let's turn him into one of the best LTs in the league and then trade him off for a late first rounder.

Successful drafting, Buffalo style.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
            • Apr 2004

Is it me, or does King have the chronology of the game wrong here? Whatever.... I like the main point.

Comment

• ICRockets
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2008

I was gonna make a thread giving him some love, but I'm glad to see one already exists. I didn't love the pick when we made it, but after that game I think Cordy could be the real deal. Not only was he solid on the line, but as a lead blocker downfield he was a menace. When a guy that size can move like he did, that's a scary thing for defenses.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

I went back before bed and rewound a few quarters, watching him in particular. We haven't had that type of run blocking from the LT since Peters. He rarely misses his guy, and when the need presents itself, he moves people rather than just sealing him off. He had a few pancakes, Dorsey at least once, Derrick Johnson once, and I actually felt sorry for the Chief's DB (Arenas, I think) on the on TD run.

I only saw him get beat on pass pro once, but that might have been a blocking assignment error. Hali slipped to the inside and Levitre missed him too.

BTW, for those who think Gailey was being "too cute" on his play calling...the run calls were fantastic. On nearly every big run, the play had not only the DL, but the LB's and DB's flowing away from the ball, rather than to it. Some of that was through misdirection, some of it was that the Chief's were clearly thinking pass when it was a running play. Not all of them work, of course, thus the plays that make him look "too cute".

But most of them did work.

He killed Romeo Crennel in the chess match yesterday.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

I loved watching him crush his guy on that one touchdown. He had several other good blocks too. I was even talking to the guy next to me and we laughed at Mel Kiper who said he couldn't play tackle in the NFL and was strictly a guard.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                    • Jan 2010

Mike Mayock can suck it, guard my ass.

Comment

• Ed
                      Dude
                      • Sep 2002

I loved the pick when we made it, but I had my concerns during preseason. Glenn was great yesterday though, and Spiller mentioned him specifically also during his post game press conference.

I can't remember the last time I really liked our O-line, but I like this one a lot. I even like our depth with Hairston and Rinehart.

Comment

• MTBillsFan
                        • May 2003

Dude's going to be a stud. My dad thought he looked like Howard "house" Ballard from the early 90's.
                        Send me some wings!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                          I went back before bed and rewound a few quarters, watching him in particular. We haven't had that type of run blocking from the LT since Peters. He rarely misses his guy, and when the need presents itself, he moves people rather than just sealing him off. He had a few pancakes, Dorsey at least once, Derrick Johnson once, and I actually felt sorry for the Chief's DB (Arenas, I think) on the on TD run.

I only saw him get beat on pass pro once, but that might have been a blocking assignment error. Hali slipped to the inside and Levitre missed him too.

BTW, for those who think Gailey was being "too cute" on his play calling...the run calls were fantastic. On nearly every big run, the play had not only the DL, but the LB's and DB's flowing away from the ball, rather than to it. Some of that was through misdirection, some of it was that the Chief's were clearly thinking pass when it was a running play. Not all of them work, of course, thus the plays that make him look "too cute".

But most of them did work.

He killed Romeo Crennel in the chess match yesterday.
                          You can get on Gailey for his playcalling at times, or his devotion to Fitz, but the way draws up the run game week after week is really fun to watch. Jimmy Johnson made a point of it last year, and it's held since. One of the best in the league at drawing up the run.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by billsburgh View Post
                            but all of the draft 'experts' insisted that Cordy could not play left tackle in the NFL.
                            Which made no sense considering his experience there in college as well as his impressive measurables. 36" arms and 10 1/8 in hands. Not to mention his mobility.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

I thought Pears had two good games too.

He's mean and nasty.

Comment

Working...
                              X