PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Adding TE Kellen Winslow Jr

Ed
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Looks like they found a replacement for Hernandez. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8394031/new-england-patriots-add-te-kellen-winslow-jr-sources-say

stuckincincy
09-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Looks like they found a replacement for Hernandez. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8394031/new-england-patriots-add-te-kellen-winslow-jr-sources-say

They had to make a move.

better days
09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I would rather face Jr than Hernandez in a couple weeks. An expected move by the Pats*

Night Train
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
31 teams were ignoring the wannabe brittle soldier, with good reason.

Bulldog
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Que up the old "now that he signed with the Patriots he'll have 100 catches this year with 24 TD's." Honestly, if the guy had anything to offer, I'm pretty certain he would have been on a roster at this point.

better days
09-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Que up the old "now that he signed with the Patriots he'll have 100 catches this year with 24 TD's." Honestly, if the guy had anything to offer, I'm pretty certain he would have been on a roster at this point.

He is old with a banged up body. No team wanted to be on the hook for his salary if he gets reinjured, but if he stays healthy, he will make some plays, including TDs.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I would rather face Jr than Hernandez in a couple weeks. An expected move by the Pats*

I think we all need to chip in and help buy Mr. Winslow a motorbike -- in Patriots colors of course -- to help him celebrate his new signing.

Mr. Miyagi
09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
I thought that's what Shiancoe was for, as an insurance for one of those TEs.

DraftBoy
09-18-2012, 11:15 AM
He's a "****ing soldier"!

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
He's a "****ing soldier"!

"I don't give a hell"

The King
09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
hardly a replacement... he doesnt bring anything that Hernandez does.

HAMMER
09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
He won't know the offense well enough to have a significant impact against us on 9/30.

gebobs
09-18-2012, 02:03 PM
No team wanted to be on the hook for his salary if he gets reinjured.
What salary? Once he was cut by Seattle, that contract is history, right?

He did pretty well the last few years for the Bucs, but this is definitely his last hurrah. Injuries, attitude. He's done.

Too bad.

He coulda had class. He coulda been a contender. He coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what he is, let's face it.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-18-2012, 02:05 PM

He did pretty well the last few years for the Bucs, but this is definitely his last hurrah. Injuries, attitude. He's done.

Too bad.

He coulda had class. He coulda been a contender. He coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what he is, let's face it.

He could have been Marlon Brando? Well. . . . Perhaps in Mutiny on the Bounty. . . . :D

better days
09-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Too bad.

Yeah, the reason the Seahawks cut him was because his salary would have been guaranteed if he was on the roster week one. Now he can be cut at any time & will be owed nothing except for the games he was on the roster for.

gebobs
09-18-2012, 02:15 PM
He could have been Marlon Brando? Well. . . . Perhaps in Mutiny on the Bounty. . . . :D
Negative.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Negative.

No, I know that quote was from On the Waterfront, but I'm saying Winslow is not the quality of player that wins you games and as a Patriot is as miscast as Brando was on Mutiny on the Bounty.

OLDSRIP
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
I'd rather sign his father.

stuckincincy
09-18-2012, 02:34 PM
hardly a replacement... he doesnt bring anything that Hernandez does.

Not at all...surely not.

He may be a ghost of his so-so former self, but does bring several years' worth of experience and substantial game time against opposing defensive personnel. I think they ran through the possibilities, and he was the best choice for them.

more cowbell
09-18-2012, 03:17 PM
yawn

Goobylal
09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Winslow failed the Pats' physical a couple weeks ago when they brought him in (which they later denied because Winslow's camp was pissed when word got out). No one thought he was worth anything and thus he wasn't signed even after the 1st game, when vested veterans' (players with 4 or more accrued seasons in the league, like Winslow) salaries aren't guaranteed anymore. Not to mention the Pats' system has proven too complex for players a lot smarter than Winslow.

stuckincincy
09-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Winslow failed the Pats' physical a couple weeks ago when they brought him in (which they later denied because Winslow's camp was pissed when word got out). No one thought he was worth anything and thus he wasn't signed even after the 1st game, when vested veterans' (players with 4 or more accrued seasons in the league, like Winslow) salaries aren't guaranteed anymore. Not to mention the Pats' system has proven too complex for players a lot smarter than Winslow.

So...will the signing be voided soon? :trance:

Skooby
09-18-2012, 04:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/18/winslow-signs-with-pats/

gebobs
09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
No, I know that quote was from On the Waterfront, but I'm saying Winslow is not the quality of player that wins you games and as a Patriot is as miscast as Brando was on Mutiny on the Bounty.
I know you know...I was just making a funny because Winslow looks like Waterfront beat up Brando at this point in his career.

GingerP
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I thought that's what Shiancoe was for, as an insurance for one of those TEs.

I think Shiancoe is on IR-Can Return after week 8, like the Bills did with Ron Brooks.

Winslow is like a million other vets the Pats take a flyer on. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but they are willing to churn the roster and see. The Hernandez thing forced this, because TE's are so much a part of their offense. He is a huge loss for them, maybe the key to their offense other than Brady, because he is so versatile.

Winslow can still catch the ball, if his knees hold up at all, and he had 75 catches last year. I think the difficult thing is he has to learn their offense, and he usually sits out practices because of his knees.

I guess they brought Deion Branch back as well.

Goobylal
09-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Knowing the Pats, this will pay off.
Actually knowing the Pats' history with bringing-in players as of late, it likely won't.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Knowing the Pats, this will pay off.

Yeah I remember watching how they revived Albert Haynesworth's career. . . . Oh, wait. Never mind. :D

Ed
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
It looks like the Pats have brought back Deion Branch also.