PDA

View Full Version : NFL and pink

The King
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Having this discussion on my FB page and it's blowing up. I thought it would be a worthy discussion on here.

I personally hate it. I think that the pink accessories and fields and stadiums is a total waste of money and makes the whole thing seem phony.

Note: It appears all this pink, may inspire you to purchase some official pink merchandise. If you do you should note that the NFL does not disclose if any of your purchase is donated. Not one mention of it on the NFL.com/pink site.

I like the NHL's approach with Movember, encouraging fans to raise money for tickets and prizes, while the players grow facial hair into cool patterns to help promote awareness. It raises money gets the fans involved and doesn't come across my tv like some hot mess.

What say you?

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
I think its well done and very tasteful.

Mercy
09-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Don't get me started.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a pink trash can, btw. Cost me a donation to the ACS.

justasportsfan
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
it's better than teal & orange

HAMMER
09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Real men wear Pink.

stuckincincy
09-19-2012, 11:33 AM
MY SIL and MIL suffer from breast cancer, but there is so much publicity, money directed that way, when other more prevalent cancers like lung go wanting.

I see the pink ribbon promotions on tv all the time. Yet it is men that have the lower mortality. But that doesn't resonate. The NFL rides the wave of populism, expecting more viewership. Yes - cynical, I know.

The King
09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I will also say that my family and I have donated over 25K in the last 20 years to cancer research the cause hits very close to home, which is I guess why I have such an issue with it. I just see the money spent on the field and think about how much more money could go to research if it was less commercialized on the field.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I will also say that my family and I have donated over 25K in the last 20 years to cancer research the cause hits very close to home, which is I guess why I have such an issue with it. I just see the money spent on the field and think about how much more money could go to research if it was less commercialized on the field.

I guess Im confused, if the NFL doesn't commercialize it the ACS stands lose well over a million dollars annually in donations and hundreds of hours of free advertising encouraging people to get exams, and to stay healthy. The cost of producing the pink items is a small fraction of what actually gets donated and its paid out of a league coffer.

kishoph
09-19-2012, 11:52 AM
If the NFL can use it's power to support a good cause, I'm all for it. There are a lot of things in professional sports that are negative, wearing pink in support of and bringing awareness to breast cancer is not one of them.

The King
09-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I think there are better ways to do so than dress everyone in an obnoxious color. You can use the BCA logo in the broadcasts, create fan pages where fans can get involved and raise money. The over production of pink merchandise and the amount of money actually donated from those purchases is laughable. It's a waste of money to create, and it looks ridiculous. The league would be much better off focusing on promotion without the over head costs of all the stupid gear. You're making a pink t-shirt for $5 selling it for 25$ and donating a small portion of that profit. Why not just say 20% of all pro-shop sales in the month of October go to breast cancer research... let's see what numbers come out higher.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I think there are better ways to do so than dress everyone in an obnoxious color. You can use the BCA logo in the broadcasts, create fan pages where fans can get involved and raise money. The over production of pink merchandise and the amount of money actually donated from those purchases is laughable. It's a waste of money to create, and it looks ridiculous. The league would be much better off focusing on promotion without the over head costs of all the stupid gear. You're making a pink t-shirt for $5 selling it for 25$ and donating a small portion of that profit. Why not just say 20% of all pro-shop sales in the month of October go to breast cancer research... let's see what numbers come out higher.

Do you have figured to back that up?

Most of the pink gear worn by players gets donated. There was a release last year where Larry Fitzgerald's pink cleats got donated to an ACS event and auctioned off with full proceeds to the charity.

Im sure the NFL takes their cut of pink merchandise but I'd like to see actual numbers.

The King
09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
All of that can still be done. Donate every pair of cleats, glove and jersey for the month of October, your audience will now be broader too since I assume there would be more interest in non-pink gear. If the NFL would focus 1/2 the attention of their broadcasts to the cause and not the networks other programming then no one needs to be running around in pink. Slap a patch on the jersey and call it a day.

The King
09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Buying pink, has been a deceptive sales tactic for years as well. Probably not the case with the NFL but most people just assume because it's pink it's for a good cause.

http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/?page_id=13

imbondz
09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
doesn't bother me. the more awareness the better

OpIv37
09-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I have two problems with it.

First, in recent years it has gone over the top. Pink gloves, maybe some pink on the cleats, a few banners, ok. But both teams and the whole stadium ends up painted in a sea of pink. They could have half or even 1/4 the amount of pink and still get the point across.

Second, why pink? And by that, I mean, why breast cancer? Why not AIDS or obesity or Alzheimer's or child adoption or the ASPCA or Darfur? I don't have a problem with the NFL using their popularity to promote a good cause. I just wonder why they spend a quarter of the season over-promoting the hell out of one good cause while ignoring so many others.

OpIv37
09-19-2012, 01:18 PM
doesn't bother me. the more awareness the better

Komen is basically the most successful charity in history. Is there seriously anyone who isn't aware at this point?

Mouldsie
09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I think the colors are a fun change so that doesnt bother me.

I think its a good cause so I'm happy to see a good cause get support.

I think the NFL would be lying if they didnt want soe good PR and to get more women followers by doing this.

I am ok with the way its done overall.

The King
09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
http://www.nflshop.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3821294&cp=3821290

Not one item in this store mentions how much of the purchase goes to the ACS. Sounds to me outside of the auctions nothing is given... but they are making people "aware".

All apparel worn at games by players and coaches, along with special game balls and pink coins will be auctioned off at NFL Auction (www.NFL.com/auction), with proceeds benefitting the American Cancer Society and team charities. This is an issue that has directly touched the lives of so many in the NFL family, and we are committed to helping make a difference in breast cancer prevention.

Not too mention the NFL just lost Steve Sabol to brain (not breast) cancer (not pink).

gebobs
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
MY SIL and MIL suffer from breast cancer, but there is so much publicity, money directed that way, when other more prevalent cancers like lung go wanting.

I see the pink ribbon promotions on tv all the time. Yet it is men that have the lower mortality. But that doesn't resonate. The NFL rides the wave of populism, expecting more viewership. Yes - cynical, I know.

I see it the same way. More money needs to be directed to testicular cancer, but you'll never see the NFL covering their helmets in pubes.

Still, if the ACS can direct the money to research at their discretion, then that's fine. And this is all presupposing that funds are directed to research as opposed to fundraising and administration like so many other charities. It doesn't get a very good rating on Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6495).

And the whole wearing pink thing reminds me of all the douchebags who drive around in their Hummers with "Support the troops" magnets on their cars. Yeah it's the least they can do. Literally, the least.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Komen is basically the most successful charity in history. Is there seriously anyone who isn't aware at this point?

Karen Handle but thats for a different zone.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 01:53 PM
All of that can still be done. Donate every pair of cleats, glove and jersey for the month of October, your audience will now be broader too since I assume there would be more interest in non-pink gear. If the NFL would focus 1/2 the attention of their broadcasts to the cause and not the networks other programming then no one needs to be running around in pink. Slap a patch on the jersey and call it a day.

Broader is not always better. Sometimes targeting a niche group for fundraising does actually get you more bang for your buck.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Also MBB if you want to know why the NFL choose Breast Cancer awareness despite having a roughly 69% male audience your answer is in the cancer numbers.

gebobs
09-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Especially the charities that they sue for using "for the cure" in their names or publicity.

Thankfully, the anti-abortion asshats that stopped funding for Planned Parenthood have left Komen.

I have to give the foundation credit for all the good they do. But they have had some bumps in the road the past few years and need to wise up.

stuckincincy
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Especially the charities that they sue for using "for the cure" in their names or publicity.

Thankfully, the anti-abortion asshats that stopped funding for Planned Parenthood have left Komen.

I have to give the foundation credit for all the good they do. But they have had some bumps in the road the past few years and need to wise up.

Why do you call folks that are uncomfortable with abortion, "asshats?"

gebobs
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Also MBB if you want to know why the NFL choose Breast Cancer awareness despite having a roughly 69% male audience your answer is in the cancer numbers.
How's that?

Luisito23
09-19-2012, 02:01 PM
It doesn't really bother me, nor do I really pay much attention to it...Cancer on the other hand does bother me greatly.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
How's that?

Well the NFL isn't going to just pick a disease that affects only 31% of their fanbase just because they like the ta-ta's.

The King
09-19-2012, 02:04 PM
If you ask me it's because it's sensitive issue with that 31% they want to make the biggest impact on that audience, get them into that NFL shop and pay full price for some pink gear, woohoo!

gebobs
09-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Well the NFL isn't going to just pick a disease that affects only 31% of their fanbase just because they like the ta-ta's.

Well, that's debatable but you said it's "in the cancer numbers". What does that mean? If you want to pick a disease that kills, heart disease is it. It kills men and women. Especially sedentary couch quarterbacks.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Having this discussion on my FB page and it's blowing up. I thought it would be a worthy discussion on here.

I personally hate it. I think that the pink accessories and fields and stadiums is a total waste of money and makes the whole thing seem phony.

Note: It appears all this pink, may inspire you to purchase some official pink merchandise. If you do you should note that the NFL does not disclose if any of your purchase is donated. Not one mention of it on the NFL.com/pink site.

I like the NHL's approach with Movember, encouraging fans to raise money for tickets and prizes, while the players grow facial hair into cool patterns to help promote awareness. It raises money gets the fans involved and doesn't come across my tv like some hot mess.

What say you?

Its a fairly recent culture thing, pink was masculine until a century ago and blue was feminine. That being said, I would hate a pink jersey or uni, but I don't care one way or the other although I could see where you say pink makes things look phony. However, what I would really hate is if we went all out with armed forces appreciation day like some colleges have done this year:
http://www.ucmathletics.com/news/2012/9/8/FB_0908122526.aspx?path=football

The King
09-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Too much of anything is bad. This has always felt like a marketing move to me, and not really about the cause.

I think players purchasing season tickets for certain charities is a much more noble cause.

PTI
09-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Two in the pink, one in the stink!

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Well, that's debatable but you said it's "in the cancer numbers". What does that mean? If you want to pick a disease that kills, heart disease is it. It kills men and women. Especially sedentary couch quarterbacks.

I didn't say it was in the death toll numbers, I said it was in the numbers. Another poster already said almost the exact reason the NFL choose Breast Cancer.

- - - Updated - - -

If you ask me it's because it's sensitive issue with that 31% they want to make the biggest impact on that audience, get them into that NFL shop and pay full price for some pink gear, woohoo!

Its not that sensitive look at the Komen-PP fight this year. Look at the numbers.

X-Era
09-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm all about cancer awareness and causes that work to find a cure.

But I hate pink.

Hating pink does not equal loving cancer.

Pinkerton Security
09-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Anyone who seriously gets upset by the pink should get a grip on reality...if things like that upset you, then you need to do something else with your life than worry about what colors are shown in stadiums/on players uniforms.

X-Era
09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Anyone who seriously gets upset by the pink should get a grip on reality...if things like that upset you, then you need to do something else with your life than worry about what colors are shown in stadiums/on players uniforms.

Love responses like this. The posters here are responding to the specific question posed. That doesn't mean they're sitting at home ticked off with a gun to their heads.

I'm pretty sure every poster who responds realizes that this is not a big deal and not worthy of worry, anger, or obsession.

The King
09-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Did you read one post in this thread? I am upset because the NFL is deceptively cashing in on pink.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Did you read one post in this thread? I am upset because the NFL is deceptively cashing in on pink.

An accusation you haven't substantiated at all.

more cowbell
09-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Anything promoting cancer awareness and research I'm all for.

Crisis
09-19-2012, 05:32 PM
It's gone a bit over the top but I really couldn't care less.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Two in the pink, one in the stink!

Damn it man, I hate Wichita State.

LtFinFan66
09-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Must....protect...boobs! End of story!!

gebobs
09-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't say it was in the death toll numbers, I said it was in the numbers.
So I'll ask again: What does that mean? What numbers?

gebobs
09-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Anyone who seriously gets upset by the pink should get a grip on reality.Good. No one is seriously upset. It's a discussion forum. Anyone that gets seriously upset about any thread here needs to get a grip on reality.

kishoph
09-19-2012, 06:23 PM
F. I just wonder why they spend a quarter of the season over-promoting the hell out of one good cause while ignoring so many others.

:str8face: http://www.nfl.com/community

The King
09-19-2012, 07:00 PM
An accusation you haven't substantiated at all.
They sell the pink merch without donating a cent. The only thing the nfl donates is the profits from the auctions. It's misleading.

I can't find anything anywhere that sales from the pink merch is donated, just that it promotes awareness... Yay!

X-Era
09-19-2012, 07:13 PM
They sell the pink merch without donating a cent. The only thing the nfl donates is the profits from the auctions. It's misleading.

I can't find anything anywhere that sales from the pink merch is donated, just that it promotes awareness... Yay!

Isn't it even potentially worse than that? It would mean Nike, New Era, Reebok, etc. are making money of the cause since the teams have to buy all that stuff as well right?

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 09:51 PM

They gave over a million dollars last year in addition to donations to charities for auctions.

DraftBoy
09-19-2012, 09:58 PM
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/bcs/article/NFL-donates-1-million-for-breast-cancer-campaign291

The NFL recently went one step further and donated $1 million to the American Cancer Society to find a cure for the deadly disease, according to Fox News .

The NFL used pink equipment throughout the month of October to spread breast cancer awareness to an audience of millions. The league auctioned off game-worn pink jerseys and clothing and other pink merchandise online which collectively raised more than a million dollars.

The King
09-20-2012, 05:41 AM
From auctions... Not the sale of pink gear on nfl.com

Theyre promoting awareness of pink to sell pink.

The King
09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
The NFL recently went one step further and donated $1 million to the American Cancer Society to find a cure for the deadly disease, according to Fox News .

The NFL used pink equipment throughout the month of October to spread breast cancer awareness to an audience of millions. The league auctioned off game-worn pink jerseys and clothing and other pink merchandise online which collectively raised more than a million dollars.

DraftBoy
09-20-2012, 08:10 AM

They donated 1 Million in general and then raise over another million for ACS and you still think this is a money grab solely for them? At some point you have to come forward with some kind of evidence of something.

The King
09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
I thought I did. Nowhere on any NFL site does it say that they do anything with the sales of the pink merchandise.

The article you posted says the NFL gave a million dollars to the ACS. I read that as, in addition to promoting awareness they gave 1 million dollars which was a result of auctioning off game worn apparel.

DraftBoy
09-20-2012, 08:19 AM
I thought I did. Nowhere on any NFL site does it say that they do anything with the sales of the pink merchandise.

The article you posted says the NFL gave a million dollars to the ACS. I read that as, in addition to promoting awareness they gave 1 million dollars which was a result of auctioning off game worn apparel.

That doesn't say anything, it just says the NFL sites don't state the distribution of proceeds.

The article I posted said they donated 1 Million and raised over a million. That's 2 Million plus.

The King
09-20-2012, 08:25 AM
You're reading the article wrong. Read the headline!

They donated a million, which was raised from the auctions. The headline clearly states NFL donates $1 million for breast cancer campaign not the NFL donates more than 1 million or 2 million plus.

Ugh.

The King
09-20-2012, 08:42 AM
I found something from 2010 that said they donated money from both pink sales and auctions, but nothing since.

DraftBoy
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
You're reading the article wrong. Read the headline!

They donated a million, which was raised from the auctions. The headline clearly states NFL donates $1 million for breast cancer campaign not the NFL donates more than 1 million or 2 million plus.

Ugh.

Who cares what the headline says? That's how tabloids work, read the actual article. It clearly states they donated a million and then raised 1 million + for ACS.

Which btw ACS does not just take this money and earmark it for Breast Cancer only. Which is why the money goes to ACS as opposed to an organization like Komen that is specifically for breast cancer for women.

THRILLHO
09-20-2012, 04:33 PM

First, in recent years it has gone over the top. Pink gloves, maybe some pink on the cleats, a few banners, ok. But both teams and the whole stadium ends up painted in a sea of pink. They could have half or even 1/4 the amount of pink and still get the point across.

Second, why pink? And by that, I mean, why breast cancer? Why not AIDS or obesity or Alzheimer's or child adoption or the ASPCA or Darfur? I don't have a problem with the NFL using their popularity to promote a good cause. I just wonder why they spend a quarter of the season over-promoting the hell out of one good cause while ignoring so many others.

I have no problem with the NFL choosing breast cancer. Its obviously a very "in" type thing to fight over the past years, so it makes sense. Plus it helps reach the women demographic. Questioning why they choose breast cancer is like questioning why I decided to donate to hunger charities vs any other charity in the world. Its just my preference. But along the lines of what you said, It would be nice if the NFL dedicated October to the fight against any disease of a player or team's choosing.

A quick question; does anyone know if players have the option of what pink equipment to wear? Or are certain items mandatory?

The King
09-20-2012, 06:23 PM
I think it's mandatory

BertSquirtgum
09-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Wearing pink for the whole month is dumb. One week would suffice, imo.

Extremebillsfan247
09-21-2012, 01:19 PM

What say you? If I answer this one with any sense of honesty, I'll probably get banned. So I'll just answer the poll instead, and plead the 5th on the rest. lol

OpIv37
09-21-2012, 02:41 PM
:str8face: http://www.nfl.com/community
Ok maybe "ignoring" is a bit harsh, but there is no doubt that breast cancer is given an absurd amount of attention by the league compared to other causes.

PTI
09-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Ok maybe "ignoring" is a bit harsh, but there is no doubt that breast cancer is given an absurd amount of attention by the league compared to other causes.

Why is it surprising? The harsh reality is the majority of NFL players are black, and a very high percentage are brought up by single mothers who are the rock of many people's lives. I get why they do it, but I also get what you are saying, spread the charity around sometime.

X-Era
09-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Let alone other cancers.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-11-2012, 05:23 PM
http://www.nflshop.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3821294&cp=3821290

Not one item in this store mentions how much of the purchase goes to the ACS. Sounds to me outside of the auctions nothing is given... but they are making people "aware".

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-is-the-nfl-profitting-off-of-breast-cancer-2012-10

According to the website, by purchasing pink items in the NFL Shop, fans can "support the fight against breast cancer with pink NFL breast cancer awareness gear." Of course, there is a huge difference between supporting "awareness" and donating money to research. In the case of the former, most of the money ends up in the pockets of billionaire NFL owners.
When we contacted the NFL for clarification, we were told 5% of the sales are being donated to the American Cancer Society. If the pink products have a typical 100% mark-up at retail, that means the NFL is keeping 90% of the profit from the sale of Breast Cancer Awareness gear.
And then consider that only 70.8% of money the ACS receives goes towards research and cancer programs (http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6495). So, for every $100 in sales of pink gear, only $3.54 is going towards research while the NFL is keeping approximately $45 (based on 100% mark-up) [Note: see update below].
Of course, awareness is a very important factor in the fight against breast cancer. But I am sure if you asked most people with cancer or those that have lost loved ones to the dreaded disease, they'd prefer a cure over more awareness.
In the meantime, the wallets of the NFL, which had $9.5 billion in revenue in 2011 (http://www.businessinsider.com/sports-chart-of-the-day-nfl-revenue-still-dwarfs-other-major-sports-2012-10), just keep getting fatter.
[UPDATE] The NFL wanted to clarify their position. While they did not dispute the numbers above, a representative said the NFL does not profit from the sale of pink merchandise. Any money that is not donated to ACS is used to cover the costs of their breast cancer awareness program, A Crucial Catch. Also, the NFL says they have donated "more than $3 million" or approximately $1 million per year as a result of the program that began in 2009

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-is-the-nfl-profitting-off-of-breast-cancer-2012-10#ixzz2923qpQIv

Unreal.

Mike
10-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Here is the Bottom Line:

ITs a WIN - WIN Deal:

1) The NFL gets great PR and makes money from the sales

2) The ACS receives $$$ from merchandise sales, auctions, and $1mil directly from NFL
PLUS - Most Importantly - They receive 1 month of FREE advertising via on field gear & sport announcer mentions.
Their message gets distributed all across the USA and repeated for one month for every game -thurs, sun, mon, etc.

* To get this type of repetitive exposure during NFL games for a whole month across entire USA is probably worth at least $10mil in advertising.

BertSquirtgum
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Wear pink for the first week of breast cancer awareness month then sew some friggin pink bow patches on the jersey and be done with it. Paul Bunyan sized men wearing pink for a whole month is stupid.

The King
09-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Bills on in Primetime, and just in time for the NFL to force pink down our throats again.

Meathead
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM

for some reason the thanks button isnt working right now so thanks

its great what the whole pink thing has done for breast cancer bc those are two of my favorite things. but i also think its time for some other health movement to get some of that attention. colorectal cancer is the second leading cancer killer and it gets virtually zero attention

anybody up for a 'brown' campaign? what can you do for brown? look into my big brown eye. this brown was made for walkin. see these slogans write themselves

stuckincincy
09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
anybody up for a 'brown' campaign? what can you do for brown? look into my big brown eye. this brown was made for walkin. see these slogans write themselves

You would be accused of gay bashing.

ServoBillieves
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
With all the money they've raised and all the awareness, how's that cure coming along? Oh, still no cure? Am I aware that there is such thing as cancer? Yes, I'm also aware of the color pink, and of football, beer, aware of the computer screen in front of me, aware that billions and billions of dollars for awareness for a disease that should be cured now but a cure would cost too much money out of the government and doctors pockets so it will never be found... Yeah. Let's drop the pink. Do it for one game, do it out of respect as I DO respect those suffering unnecessarily through breast cancer, but I also respect those suffering from the myriad of OTHER cancers as well.

WagonCircler
09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
The whole thing is a marketing win-win for the NFL with no real downside.

It has a dual purpose. First and foremost, it's a marketing outreach to women. Let's face it, if you're a man and you don't already like the NFL, there's nothing they can do or say to change that.

Not the same can be said for women.

The last frontiers for the NFL are women and foreigners. The league is doing what it can, with mixed success (NFL Europe failed, but the London and other games seem viewed favorably).

Plus, the NFL gets a huge PR bump out of raising money for cancer research and awareness in such a public way.

Where's the downside for them? Does the pink piss people off so much that they stop watching? No. Does the pink chase people to a rival league? No--there is no rival league.

It's annoying, yes. But the NFL needs as much public sympathy as it can get now that pathetic nanny state do-gooders have added concussions to their ever-expanding list of things that are hastening the apocalypse.

Get used to the pink. It's annoying, but it's not going anywhere.

The King
09-30-2013, 01:37 PM
The whole thing is a marketing win-win for the NFL with no real downside.

It has a dual purpose. First and foremost, it's a marketing outreach to women. Let's face it, if you're a man and you don't already like the NFL, there's nothing they can do or say to change that.

Not the same can be said for women.

The last frontiers for the NFL are women and foreigners. The league is doing what it can, with mixed success (NFL Europe failed, but the London and other games seem viewed favorably).

Plus, the NFL gets a huge PR bump out of raising money for cancer research and awareness in such a public way.

Where's the downside for them? Does the pink piss people off so much that they stop watching? No. Does the pink chase people to a rival league? No--there is no rival league.

It's annoying, yes. But the NFL needs as much public sympathy as it can get now that pathetic nanny state do-gooders have added concussions to their ever-expanding list of things that are hastening the apocalypse.

Get used to the pink. It's annoying, but it's not going anywhere.

The NFL profits from all merchandise sales, and donates the bare minimum back to the charity. That's the problem. All the woman inspired by the pink go online and buy a shirt thinking they're helping. And the NFL is donating 5% of those proceeds. So 95% profit to the NFL, 5% to the charity. It's an annoying PINK fiasco that profits the people who need it the least. It also has nothing to do with football. Meanwhile players like Kevin Everett, or players who suffer head injuries are left in the cold.

Promote charity sure, let's just stop the charade, they wear pink to sell merchandise to ladies. I hate October in the NFL.

sukie
09-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Agree on the win win but I wish the American Cancer Society would allocate a much higher percentage to actual cancer research tna i corporate expenses and salaries.

WagonCircler
09-30-2013, 05:06 PM
The NFL profits from all merchandise sales, and donates the bare minimum back to the charity. That's the problem. All the woman inspired by the pink go online and buy a shirt thinking they're helping. And the NFL is donating 5% of those proceeds. So 95% profit to the NFL, 5% to the charity. It's an annoying PINK fiasco that profits the people who need it the least. It also has nothing to do with football. Meanwhile players like Kevin Everett, or players who suffer head injuries are left in the cold.

Promote charity sure, let's just stop the charade, they wear pink to sell merchandise to ladies. I hate October in the NFL.

Hey, I'm not saying I agree with the whole charade, just speculating on how likely it is to go away. And there's almost zero chance of it going away.

I've helped raise a huge amount of money for cancer research, and I'd like to take this opportunity to suggest a truly honest charity. The V Foundation, founded by Jim Valvano.

http://www.jimmyv.org

Although Jim lost his battle with cancer less than two months after delivering the ESPY speech, his dream of a cure lives on through research grants bestowed in his name. The V Foundation has awarded more than $100 million to more than 100 facilities nationwide and proudly awards 100% of direct donations and net event proceeds to cancer research.

Good people. Very, very good people.

DraftBoy
09-30-2013, 07:15 PM

And how much is that 5% cut worth annually?

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2013, 07:21 PM
I hate the pink.

The King
09-30-2013, 07:26 PM
And how much is that 5% cut worth annually?
The ACS CEO makes 2.5 MILLION annually so it's probably pretty nice.

Meathead
09-30-2013, 08:14 PM
I hate the pink.

how about the stink?

ServoBillieves
09-30-2013, 11:04 PM
how about the stink?

HIYOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously I hate the NFL's marketing department though.

BuffaloRedleg
09-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Not that I'm thinking there is a conspiracy, but for Christ's sake the fighting cancer industry must take in hundreds of millions of dollars annualy. Where in the world is this money going? I know it's spread around to hospice and awareness for screenings and prevention and such, but man they better have thousands of doctors working around the clock with all this money. I get it, awareness is important, but seriously who isn't aware of cancer by this point? People still smoke, still drink, still sit out in the sun etc. I don't think awareness is the issue.

Maybe that's a weird thing to think but I've been wondering that, I'm interested if anyone knows more?

Typ0
10-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Because liberal females are their most sought after audience????

Turf
10-01-2013, 12:35 AM
I hate the pink. Maybe one game I can tolerate it, not for a whole month or whatever it is.