PDA

View Full Version : Pats look to be shopping Wes Welker

Skooby
09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Would you like to have him & If so, what do you think he's worth?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2964/wes-welker

Don't Panic
09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I cant see them trading him to us if he was going to be dealt. Considering he's on a oe year day, I'd give a 5th if they would and try to convince him to stay for a couple of years. He'd be a great compliment to Stevie.

YardRat
09-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Ol' BillyBoy is going to bite off his nose to spite his face on this deal.

I don't give a damn how much hype the TE's get, that offense goes into overdrive through Welker, and their lack of using him so far this season has shown.

braddavery
09-19-2012, 08:57 PM
They must know something everyone else doesn't. Why would you want to get rid of one of the most productive players in your team's history (and 31 is young for a WR) who led the league in receptions just last season, along with the most receiving yards in his career?

Cntrygal
09-19-2012, 09:20 PM
How many players has the evil empire gotten rid of that has been wildly successful playing somewhere else?

Skooby
09-19-2012, 09:26 PM
How many players has the evil empire gotten rid of that has been wildly successful playing somewhere else?

We grabbed Drew Bledsoe from them, was he that bad ? Welker was also good in Miami & has led the league in receptions yards last season, it's hard to argue with results.

Cntrygal
09-19-2012, 09:31 PM
We grabbed Drew Bledsoe from them, was he that bad ? Welker was also good in Miami & has led the league in receptions yards last season, it's hard to argue with results.

I said WILDLY successful... and Welker's performance prior to being on the Pats doesn't count. It would be the performance POST Pats.

So... even if I included those two... out of everyone the Pats have ever released - those are the only two examples you can think of? I honestly can't think of anyone right off the top of my head, and am about to go offline for the night...

YardRat
09-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Seymour's done pretty well in Oakland.

OpIv37
09-19-2012, 09:41 PM

This is true, but of the guys they've dumped, how many were a) true stars and not just products of the system and b) still in their prime?

Most likely, something is up with Welker that the rest of the league doesn't know about. Much less likely, but still possible, is that Bellicheck is finally losing it.

Skooby
09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
This is true, but of the guys they've dumped, how many were a) true stars and not just products of the system and b) still in their prime?

Most likely, something is up with Welker that the rest of the league doesn't know about. Much less likely, but still possible, is that Bellicheck is finally losing it.

It's pretty hard to sit the most successful WR in the NFL from last season, unless it's something personal or injury related. I'm going with something personal, Wes must of really upset the team IMO.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-19-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm having Lawyer Malloy and Drew Bledsoe flashbacks, and those are not good. Stay far away. Bellijerk normally strips them of any quality and installs self destruct mechanisms in them before he trades or cuts them

better days
09-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Welker, like Brady is showing signs of age. He has lost a step & the glue on his hands is dried out. He makes a lot of money this year.........the last on his contract, is only a part time player for the Pats* & will be a FA next year. Anyone that wants him, can wait till the end of the season. He will be MUCH cheaper then.

User Manuel
09-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Why wouldn't we take a shot on him. If the price is reasonable, let's do it. As for Belichek...remember Al Davis used to be a genius too.......

Marcala12
09-19-2012, 11:13 PM
i actually think we should go hard after Welker.

I don't think Welker has lost a step; he just killed the league last year. I think he's in the Pats doghouse because they don't like him personally. They don't like the way he's handled his contract situation and he kind of dogged Brady out for being a little on the gay side.

better days
09-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Why wouldn't we take a shot on him. If the price is reasonable, let's do it. As for Belichek...remember Al Davis used to be a genius too.......

The price will not be reasonable for one. Welker makes over $9 Mill this year. He is in the last year of his contract, so you would just be renting him at a HIGH price. The Pats* would want a draft pick aside from his salary. Last, did you not watch the last Super bowl or any of the Pats* games this year?

better days
09-19-2012, 11:18 PM
i actually think we should go hard after Welker.

I don't think Welker has lost a step; he just killed the league last year. I think he's in the Pats doghouse because they don't like him personally. They don't like the way he's handled his contract situation and he kind of dogged Brady out for being a little on the gay side.

Well, you are wrong. Not only has Welker lost a step, but he has been dropping balls.

Mouldsie
09-19-2012, 11:23 PM
If the price is right (5th or lower) I would do it. 4th I think about. I believe in the player for the next 2-3 years.

As far as a good post Patriots careers: Seymour, Milloy, Asante Samuel, Ty Law

He fits what Chan likes to do as a 3rd option (meaning we'd still need a #2 outside threat to emerge). If he fails to produce at a high enough level, maybe he can at least teach TJ Graham a thing or two.

better days
09-19-2012, 11:28 PM
If the price is right (5th or lower) I would do it. 4th I think about. I believe in the player for the next 2-3 years.

As far as a good post Patriots careers: Seymour, Milloy, Asante Samuel, Ty Law

He fits what Chan likes to do as a 3rd option (meaning we'd still need a #2 outside threat to emerge). If he fails to produce at a high enough level, maybe he can at least teach TJ Graham a thing or two.

So you would give up a 4th rnd pick & $9 Mill for a 3rd option? NO THANKS.

gebobs
09-19-2012, 11:34 PM
We grabbed Drew Bledsoe from them, was he that bad ?
Um...yeah. Bledsoe sucked blue whale balls.

Mouldsie
09-19-2012, 11:35 PM
So you would give up a 4th rnd pick & $9 Mill for a 3rd option? NO THANKS.
It's a 1 year deal and we have the cap room... he will play hungry. Do you want to win?

Marcala12
09-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Well, you are wrong. Not only has Welker lost a step, but he has been dropping balls.

lol, so dropping a couple of passes...that happens when you hit 30? that's your concern? a guy that was the most sure handed receiver in the league is losing it due to age? he hasn't lost a step, you're wrong and you don't really watch the games. He looked quick in and out of breaks in the 2nd half of the game last week. looked like the same old Welker..better than any Wr's we have, that's for sure...anda boutt 5 million times better than our WR's not named Stevie. You're funny with your lack of knowledge and what not.

Marcala12
09-20-2012, 01:08 AM
The price will not be reasonable for one. Welker makes over $9 Mill this year. He is in the last year of his contract, so you would just be renting him at a HIGH price. The Pats* would want a draft pick aside from his salary. Last, did you not watch the last Super bowl or any of the Pats* games this year?

lol, he dropped one pass in each of these 3 games...that's fluky. He had 7 catches in the SB + 2 rushes for 21 yards. He had 5 catches for 95 yards basically in a half last week. You're so funny, what a wishful thinker. WR's lose speed as a result of age, they don't start dropping balls...lol. Meanwhile Welker is as fast and explosive as ever and you think he's finished because he dropped 3 passes, OMG

BLeonard
09-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Heh, hilarious...

We see the Patriots do this type of stuff EVERY DAMN YEAR trading off players for draft picks... Then, we wonder why a team would be so stupid to trade with New England and why they end up with 15 draft picks every year.

While, on the surface, Welker might look like a good idea for the Bills to go after, especially given their WR situation, it still involves giving New England a draft pick (or maybe multiple picks) and taking $9.5 million off of their salary cap for a 31 year old player that is on a one year deal...

Absolutely no way in hell I do this deal.

I also don't care what he did last year, or in the past... I don't want the Bills to pay him for his past successes on the Patriots. Belichick and co. made this bed... Make them lie in it, not the Bills.

-Bill

Mr. Pink
09-20-2012, 02:14 AM
It would depend on where we're at in the standings to do this trade or not.

If we're a contender then yes, do it. If we're not, don't bother.

Why have a 9.5m dollar receiver on your team that you'll have issues locking up long term if you suck on your team?

Mike
09-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Walker is DONE!!! Ive been saying it now for a few weeks. Maybe a 6th rounder at most.

Skooby
09-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Um...yeah. Bledsoe sucked blue whale balls.

Blue Planet BBC told me that's a big event

X-Era
09-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Yes I'd take Welker. He'd be a great asset to our spread style offense. However, a) the Pats won't trade him to us and b) he's demanding a big contract. I don't care that much about giving up a mid or late rounder for him. The contract is a problem on two fronts. First, Levitre and Byrd are up for new contracts after this season. Levitre alone will cost serious coin. Second, can we or should we invest the 7+ mill per year to extend Welker?

I'd like to see us address adding another serious threat through the draft. And if I were to layout my specifications it would be a big possession type WR with very good ball skills and decent speed.

better days
09-20-2012, 06:27 AM
It's a 1 year deal and we have the cap room... he will play hungry. Do you want to win?

Yes it is a 1 year deal. In other words he will be a FA at the end of the year. Why has he not played hungry in NE? His skills are clearly on the decline or the Pats* would have resigned him last year.

don137
09-20-2012, 06:30 AM
I thought Welker was great in Miami but New England utilized his strengths better. I think it is typical New England showing up players that have been loyal to them but are asking for a big contract. They are basically saying the team is bigger than individual players so don't ask for a big contract or I will show you the door.
Yes he has stuff left in tank and would love him here but not sure he is worth a big contract at his age.

better days
09-20-2012, 06:44 AM
lol, so dropping a couple of passes...that happens when you hit 30? that's your concern? a guy that was the most sure handed receiver in the league is losing it due to age? he hasn't lost a step, you're wrong and you don't really watch the games. He looked quick in and out of breaks in the 2nd half of the game last week. looked like the same old Welker..better than any Wr's we have, that's for sure...anda boutt 5 million times better than our WR's not named Stevie. You're funny with your lack of knowledge and what not.

You are the one that is wrong. Yes at age 30 Welker has lost a step & he now is dropping balls which he never used to do. He also makes over $9 MILLION Dollars for the year & then he is a FREE AGENT. There is a reason the Pats* have not already given him a new contract & it would be STUPID to trade ANYTHING for him.

The King
09-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Selling low I guess, he's making 9 million or so this season and the Patriots have almost eliminated him from their gameplan.

The King
09-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Walker is DONE!!! Ive been saying it now for a few weeks. Maybe a 6th rounder at most.
Who's that dude?

Mahdi
09-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Seymour, Lawyer Milloy, Asante Samuel, Ty Law, Curtis Martin.

better days
09-20-2012, 07:42 AM

Well, the Pats* did alright after getting rid of those guys. Like I said if anyone wants Welker, just WAIT until the season is over. He won't cost a draft pick & will be MUCH cheaper. He was worth $9 Mill a few years ago, but not today & not tomorrow.

X-Era
09-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Seymour, Lawyer Milloy, Asante Samuel, Ty Law, Curtis Martin.IDK man. Seymour? Milloy? Law? Martin and Samuel I'll give you. Do they really classify as wildy successful?

The only thing I'll say is this. The Patriots FO has lost it's mystique IMO and is regressing by contuing to use the same approach they always have.

Their drafts are becoming less and less successful outside of the Gronk draft (over the past 10 years). They are willing to stockpile picks instead of adding legit talent it seems. And, they are not finding those veteran cast-offs who perform highly for them.

Dozerdog
09-20-2012, 08:01 AM

He wasn't good enough to justify what we gave up

stuckincincy
09-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Nick Buoniconti. :biggrin:

BillsFanInMass
09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Id rather Lee Evans back over any patriot player i hate them all.

BuffaloWingEater
09-20-2012, 08:07 AM

if not then pretty close to zero. the pats are all about what have you done for me lately. everyone in that organization has a shelf life. the boot you right before you expire.

mjt328
09-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Welker would certainly be a short-term upgrade for our team. There is very little doubt about that.
Is he the missing piece on offense? Is he the player that pushes us over the top?
I doubt it.

Welker is a one-dimensional player. He's very good at that one-dimenson, but still. He's a slot receiver that catches short passes over the middle.
What the Bills offense is really missing is a legitimate outside threat across from Stevie. Somebody with speed and size that can stretch the field.
In that capacity, Welker is certainly not the answer.
Right now, we have Donald Jones in the slot and TJ Graham on the outside. With Welker on the team, Jones goes back outside and Graham goes back to the bench.

And unlike other top receivers in the NFL who could excel on any team (Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, etc.), Welker's stats have been heavily inflated by the Patriots offensive system. Think about it. Before Welker, there was Deion Branch. Before Branch, there was Troy Brown.
The Patriots know this. That is why they refuse to pay him like an elite receiver.
Their plan when Welker is gone next year, is to rely more on their two-tight end sets and plug Julian Edelman into Welker's spot.

Finally, there is the cost. The $9 million price tag this season is not a big deal, since we have the cap room.
But next year, the price tag for re-signing Welker would likely cost us Andy Levitre, Jairus Byrd or force us to get rid of someone like Fred Jackson.
Not to mention, we would be trading a draft pick to a division rival - for a 31 year old player who they are planning to get rid of anyway.

The King
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
IDK man. Seymour? Milloy? Law? Martin and Samuel I'll give you. Do they really classify as wildy successful?

The only thing I'll say is this. The Patriots FO has lost it's mystique IMO and is regressing by contuing to use the same approach they always have.

Their drafts are becoming less and less successful outside of the Gronk draft (over the past 10 years). They are willing to stockpile picks instead of adding legit talent it seems. And, they are not finding those veteran cast-offs who perform highly for them.

Vinatieri won a super bowl. Law was washed up, Milloy contributed, but was hardly as good.

Martin is a HOF'er obviously but he was pre-bellicheck anyways. If you're going that far back you could say Ben Coates also won a super bowl without them.

justasportsfan
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Nix said he'd rather develop his draft picks which means they are hoping TJ Graham develops. I think Nix would rather spend the $$$ somewhere else.

stuckincincy
09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Welker would certainly be a short-term upgrade for our team. There is very little doubt about that.
Is he the missing piece on offense? Is he the player that pushes us over the top?
I doubt it.

Welker is a one-dimensional player. He's very good at that one-dimenson, but still. He's a slot receiver that catches short passes over the middle.
What the Bills offense is really missing is a legitimate outside threat across from Stevie. Somebody with speed and size that can stretch the field.
In that capacity, Welker is certainly not the answer.
Right now, we have Donald Jones in the slot and TJ Graham on the outside. With Welker on the team, Jones goes back outside and Graham goes back to the bench.

And unlike other top receivers in the NFL who could excel on any team (Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, etc.), Welker's stats have been heavily inflated by the Patriots offensive system. Think about it. Before Welker, there was Deion Branch. Before Branch, there was Troy Brown.
The Patriots know this. That is why they refuse to pay him like an elite receiver.
Their plan when Welker is gone next year, is to rely more on their two-tight end sets and plug Julian Edelman into Welker's spot.

Finally, there is the cost. The $9 million price tag this season is not a big deal, since we have the cap room.
But next year, the price tag for re-signing Welker would likely cost us Andy Levitre, Jairus Byrd or force us to get rid of someone like Fred Jackson.
Not to mention, we would be trading a draft pick to a division rival - for a 31 year old player who they are planning to get rid of anyway.

Thanks - good analysis. Their scheme has changed a bit since they got their two TE threat, although they certainly used a TE well through the Brady years. The Pats are media darlings, so one gets to see them a lot. It's just a feeling, perhaps, but it seems that Brady is scanning the field left-right more. Welker is suburb at running into Brady's field of vision.

GingerP
09-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Add Vinatieri. Martin probably shouldn't count since he was pre-Belichick.

If you look at them, they were all contract deals. Seymour was the only trade, they got rid of him with one-year left on his deal because he was getting older and was going to command a huge contract (which Oakland gave him). Milloy and Law they cut because their salaries were too high, Samuel and Vinatieri both left as free agents.

Welker is probably similar. He will be 31 after this year and he wants to be paid bigger money. He is the best slot WR in the NFL, but in their base offense with 2 tight-ends he isn't as useful. I can see why New England is moving on, because of the money and the fact that Hernandez makes him needed much less. You can't pay everyone, and they chose Gronkowski and Hernandez.

Can't argue with Welker's production. People make too much of the drops. Like most smaller WR he doesn't have a huge catch radius and struggles with balls away from his body. That said, he manages to get open pretty often and is good after the catch. The guy is a good player.

Buffalo doesn't seem like a realistic option for him, even though he is a good fit in their spread sets in the slot. He would be worth it short-term. Long-term it doesn't make a lot of sense, as you aren't going to give a big contract to a 31-year old slot guy. You don't pay for past production, and the guy isn't going to get better. He may have 2 good years left.

Of course, that is only if NE even trades him, which they probably don't. Can't see them getting much value for him, and they need him a lot more with Hernandez hurt. I think this is much ado about nothing.

Mahdi
09-20-2012, 10:27 AM
IDK man. Seymour? Milloy? Law? Martin and Samuel I'll give you. Do they really classify as wildy successful?

Milloy was a great player for us especially in the first couple seasons. Seymour was in the PB last year. Law was a top CB for years after leaving the Pats. I don't know what qualifies as wildly. I just look at who has been successful since leaving the Pats. Those guys were.

BertSquirtgum
09-20-2012, 10:28 AM

No.

imbondz
09-20-2012, 11:06 AM
The Welker thing makes no sense. Something more is going on we don't know about. Belicheat holds grudges, is still pissed he dropped the ball in the SB, didn't like that Welker called Brady a metrosexual. something. makes no sense.

Goobylal
09-20-2012, 11:12 AM
No one will trade for him. If it didn't happen before, it's not going to happen now.

OpIv37
09-20-2012, 12:04 PM
As a general rule, I hate trades in the div. the draft picks we gave to the Pats for Bledsoe helped them dominate us for a decade and counting.

stuckincincy
09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Welker seems a product of the NE system - and he certainly did well. I can't see BUF paying the price of his ticket, nor any other team.

MTBillsFan
09-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I would trade for him today. He knows the Pats playbook ala Lawyer Milloy. 31-0 anyone?

Ed
09-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Well for those that want to trade Fred Jackson away for a WR, here you go...

Extremebillsfan247
09-20-2012, 12:44 PM

No, Belichick is one highly intelligent individual. He isn't trading the Bills anything unless the motive behind it is to swindle a divisional opponent. What I think he's worth is pretty much irrelevant since we'd most likely have to double or triple his worth just to get him here. Then, there's no guarantee that we can keep him once his contract runs out. JMO

gebobs
09-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I would trade for him today. He knows the Pats playbook ala Lawyer Milloy. 31-0 anyone?0-31, anyone?

IlluminatusUIUC
09-20-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't think Welker is done at all, but I also don't think he is worth what we would need to pay him. Fitz is not accurate enough to give him 100+ receptions and I think Spiller is demonstrating that we need to be a running team.

braddavery
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm wondering why some people are saying how great Welker was in Miami. He was basically just a kick/punt returner who scored ONE overall touchdown during his two seasons in Miami.

Skooby
09-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm wondering why some people are saying how great Welker was in Miami. He was basically just a kick/punt returner who scored ONE overall touchdown during his two seasons in Miami.

How'd Wes do last season? That's what I'm worried about, he's a huge weapon that would improve our team. My only question is at what cost?

braddavery
09-20-2012, 01:49 PM
How'd Wes do last season? That's what I'm worried about, he's a huge weapon that would improve our team. My only question is at what cost?

I'm not saying he wouldn't help this team. One thing I will say is, it would never happen. They aren't going to trade him.

MTBillsFan
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
0-31, anyone?

The Bellicheat pats always kick our butts the 2nd time around.

stuckincincy
09-20-2012, 02:11 PM

I can't see how he would add to Gailey's quick pass offense. Take a bit of time, though. But I suspect the $ cost would be stratospheric. I can't recall the last time a "name" player on a roster was acquired during the season.

CIN carries 7 wrs - they wouldn't let Luck's former target Ryan Whelen go; no way he would have made it to their practice squad. They could work out a trade with CIN for him, assuming he's the real deal, for comparative peanuts. Nelson was a comer for BUF - his loss will tell sooner or later.

PromoTheRobot
09-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Never makes deals with the devil.

PTR

GingerP
09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I can't recall the last time a "name" player on a roster was acquired during the season.

Pats did it with Randy Moss. Eric Dickerson was dealt mid-season in a deal that saw the Bills pick up Biscuit, although that was a strike year.

Trades may be more frequent now that the trading deadline is pushed back a couple weeks. Teams have a little more time to evaluate their roster one way or another.

stuckincincy
09-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Trades may be more frequent now that the trading deadline is pushed back a couple weeks. Teams have a little more time to evaluate their roster one way or another.

Good point. I don't know how well it could translate to the NFL, but MLB's deadline has always resulted in a lot of jockeying around.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Pats did it with Randy Moss. Eric Dickerson was dealt mid-season in a deal that saw the Bills pick up Biscuit, although that was a strike year.

Roy Williams

BillsFever21
09-20-2012, 04:10 PM
They couldn't come to a long-term contract extension with him and he is playing on the franchise tag. Belichick and them already knows or have made up their mind that he's not going to be around after this season either by their choice or his. That is why they are shopping him incorporating Julian Edelman more into the offense to fill his spot on the team. They figure if they can get a 2nd or maybe even 3rd round pick for him now then that's better then not getting anything at all. If there's one thing we've seen on draft day the Patriots will probably trade down out of that spot and turn it into a 1st round pick in the 2014 draft.

He's no Wes Welker right now but if there is anything you should learn from the Pats is they will trade somebody with value that they know they won't be keeping long-term. They have done it with Bledsoe, Seymour and others. Even Cassel they were able to get a 2nd round draft pick for him after the year when he filled in for Brady. If they can get a decent draft pick out of him they won't hesitate to pull the trigger one bit.

They look in the long-term and that just about everyone is replaceable. That is why they are always stacked with draft picks(along with draft day trades) and have been able to stay a good team even though Brady is the only one left from their championship teams.

Welker is good but he won't be the same player elsewhere as he's been in New England. Part of it was a good rapport with Brady along with the system they were running. He was a good and clutch guy for short yardage and 3rd down. They feel they can find someone else to fill that role or are switching to a different strategy on offense where he won't be needed as much. Either way the Pats have proved that life goes on after losing/getting rid of players over the years that played a big role on their team.

THRILLHO
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
This whole situation is upsetting me because I used a second rounder on Welker and took a lot of flak for it. That being said, if he is being shopped I bet he has a big game this week...

imbondz
09-20-2012, 05:01 PM
They couldn't come to a long-term contract extension with him and he is playing on the franchise tag. Belichick and them already knows or have made up their mind that he's not going to be around after this season either by their choice or his. That is why they are shopping him incorporating Julian Edelman more into the offense to fill his spot on the team. They figure if they can get a 2nd or maybe even 3rd round pick for him now then that's better then not getting anything at all. If there's one thing we've seen on draft day the Patriots will probably trade down out of that spot and turn it into a 1st round pick in the 2014 draft.

He's no Wes Welker right now but if there is anything you should learn from the Pats is they will trade somebody with value that they know they won't be keeping long-term. They have done it with Bledsoe, Seymour and others. Even Cassel they were able to get a 2nd round draft pick for him after the year when he filled in for Brady. If they can get a decent draft pick out of him they won't hesitate to pull the trigger one bit.

They look in the long-term and that just about everyone is replaceable. That is why they are always stacked with draft picks(along with draft day trades) and have been able to stay a good team even though Brady is the only one left from their championship teams.

Welker is good but he won't be the same player elsewhere as he's been in New England. Part of it was a good rapport with Brady along with the system they were running. He was a good and clutch guy for short yardage and 3rd down. They feel they can find someone else to fill that role or are switching to a different strategy on offense where he won't be needed as much. Either way the Pats have proved that life goes on after losing/getting rid of players over the years that played a big role on their team.

you underestimated Welker's performance last year. He was great last year. 1st in catches last year. 2nd only to Calvin Johnson in receiving yards. Led the league in yards after catch. He was more than just clutch for short yardage and 3rd down. He turned 3 yard passes into 20 yard gains. He pretty much caught everything thrown his way, (except the most important one lol).

situation doesn't make sense. if they know he's not going to be around next season and are shopping him, why wouldn't they be using him, so they can get top $ / draftpicks for him. no way his skill dropped off that much in less than a year. he didn't start the first two games! weird.

Mercy
09-20-2012, 05:15 PM
I'll take him.

better days
09-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I'll take him.

That is like saying I will take that nice new Mercedes Convertable or I will take that HOT GORGEOUS Blond at the end of the bar. You can't just take, it is going to COST you. And many things are not worth the price.

stuckincincy
09-20-2012, 05:41 PM
That is like saying I will take that nice new Mercedes Converitble or I will take that HOT GORGEOUS Blond at the end of the bar.

Nicely put.

That is a choice that dreams are made of... :lol:

BillsFever21
09-20-2012, 05:55 PM
you underestimated Welker's performance last year. He was great last year. 1st in catches last year. 2nd only to Calvin Johnson in receiving yards. Led the league in yards after catch. He was more than just clutch for short yardage and 3rd down. He turned 3 yard passes into 20 yard gains. He pretty much caught everything thrown his way, (except the most important one lol).

situation doesn't make sense. if they know he's not going to be around next season and are shopping him, why wouldn't they be using him, so they can get top $ / draftpicks for him. no way his skill dropped off that much in less than a year. he didn't start the first two games! weird.

I never said he hasn't been good for them. Of course he has some long ones but the majority of his catches are clutch catches for first downs. Over half of his catches were for first down with 77 of his 122 receptions for 1st downs and 51 of them were on either 2nd or 3rd down. His average yards per catch usually isn't very high. It's only 11.1 for his career. Many of his catches are shorter receptions for first downs and will get extra yards after the catch. He's not a major deep threat.

I never said he wasn't a great player for them. Of course he has been. I was giving a point of view from the Patriots end from how they usually do business from their previous moves of players of his importance on the team. They look at it as life goes on without them and everyone is expendable and they will look to get something in return when they know the player won't be back. So far the strategy has worked pretty good for them.

The Patriots have done a good job of getting rid of players a year or so too early instead of a year or so too late and getting something for them in return or not giving them a big money long-term contract. Good players have continued to move on yet they are contenders every year even though they haven't won a SB in 9 years. That's their team strategy and they look at the long-term. They would rather get rid of a player a year or so too early and get something of value out of them instead of letting them go for nothing. They won't sign aging players to big money long-term deals because of their past performance and only estimate what their future worth will be.

They aren't very dedicated to their players but the system has worked for them so far. They are like a corporation and look at everyone as expendable and when they are done with an employee whether it's because of age and/or money then they don't blink an eye to it. The same thing will eventually happen to Brady too when they feel that time comes.

BertSquirtgum
09-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Not worth the price, draft pick and cost of contract. No thanks.

imbondz
09-20-2012, 06:16 PM
I never said he hasn't been good for them. Of course he has some long ones but the majority of his catches are clutch catches for first downs. Over half of his catches were for first down with 77 of his 122 receptions for 1st downs and 51 of them were on either 2nd or 3rd down. His average yards per catch usually isn't very high. It's only 11.1 for his career. Many of his catches are shorter receptions for first downs and will get extra yards after the catch. He's not a major deep threat.

I never said he wasn't a great player for them. Of course he has been. I was giving a point of view from the Patriots end from how they usually do business from their previous moves of players of his importance on the team. They look at it as life goes on without them and everyone is expendable and they will look to get something in return when they know the player won't be back. So far the strategy has worked pretty good for them.

The Patriots have done a good job of getting rid of players a year or so too early instead of a year or so too late and getting something for them in return or not giving them a big money long-term contract. Good players have continued to move on yet they are contenders every year even though they haven't won a SB in 9 years. That's their team strategy and they look at the long-term. They would rather get rid of a player a year or so too early and get something of value out of them instead of letting them go for nothing. They won't sign aging players to big money long-term deals because of their past performance and only estimate what their future worth will be.

They aren't very dedicated to their players but the system has worked for them so far. They are like a corporation and look at everyone as expendable and when they are done with an employee whether it's because of age and/or money then they don't blink an eye to it. The same thing will eventually happen to Brady too when they feel that time comes.

true that. i'd be shocked tho if Brady doesn't play his whole career in NE

BillsFever21
09-20-2012, 07:20 PM

I could realistically see him ending his career with somebody else. His current contract runs through 2014 and he will be 37 years old then. By that time he will be on the decline. I could see them letting him go if he still wants a big money long-term deal at that age. Especially if his play/health is on the decline and/or they feel they have somebody else for the future. It could easily be another Brett Farve situation. Many people never thought Favre or Manning would ever be let go by their teams either.

I could see the Pats drafting a QB in the next year or two with one of their multiple higher round picks they always have every year from draft day trades and groom him to replace Brady. If they don't then they might feel they already have that with Ryan Mallett. Either way they will be hedging their bets for life after Tom Brady. That's just how the Patriots operate.

If they feel their younger QB is ready to be a starter and Brady wants a lot of guaranteed money at 37 years old then it's very conceivable that they could let him walk. If they could get him at their price that would change the outcome but if they can't they have proven they will move ahead without him sooner then they might have hoped.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Belichick era is over when the Brady era comes to an end either. He's been coaching for a while and starting to get to that point when most coaches start to get burned out or lose their edge. Especially if the Brady era is over he might not want to start over again with a young QB after having 13 seasons with the same QB and a first ballot HOF QB. He could decide to call it quits then too and he's also getting up there in age.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Browns - Cowboys swapped Quincy Morgan for Antonio Bryant about 10 years ago.

That's the last name trade I can think of.

Jaybird
09-20-2012, 11:12 PM
they won;t resign him next year,,, so they wil take what they can get

better days
09-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Actually, I would be shocked if Brady does play his entire career in NE*. QB's such as Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Joe Montana & Brett Favre ended their careers on a different team. Brady has said he wants to play as long as he can, well I think the Pats* will decide he can no longer play before Brady himself does.

GingerP
09-21-2012, 08:10 AM
QB's such as Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Joe Montana & Brett Favre ended their careers on a different team.

The others did, but Starr didn't play or coach for anyone other than the Packers. He was considered the ideal Packer, and even his terrible record as a head coach wasn't enough to tarnish his star in Green Bay.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brady ended up elsewhere at some point, either.

Bill Cody
09-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Welker is far from done. I don't think the Patriots feel that way either or they would not have franchised him and tried to negotiate a long term deal. Pretty sure they know what the franchise tag entails salary wise. No, this thing with Welker has gotten personal.

There is a 0.00% chance Julian Edelman is better than Welker. Edelman is sort of a mini me version. But he's getting Welkers snaps. Why? Because Bellichick did not want/expect Welker to sign the franchise tender. They tried to low ball him on a 3 year deal and when Welker wouldn't bite they got pissed. This is all about money plain and simple. Welker is a high character guy that keeps his mouth shut and led the league in receptions last year. Our problem is we have a backup starting QB that can't take full advantage of Welker's considerable talents. Having said that I'd sure give up a 4th for him and try to sign him long term. I bet he'd be plenty motivated to show NE what they gave up.

Goobylal
09-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Welker is gone next season. The Pats don't want to pay him what he feels he's worth, and they don't want to re-franchise him next year and pay $11.4M for a season. The problem for them in trying to trade him is the draft pick and salary cost to a new team, which is why they haven't been able to trade him yet, and he's been on the block for a month. Perhaps if a contender loses a top WR, he might get traded. But I'd put the odds as slim-to-none AFA getting a trade done.

Skooby
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Welker is gone next season. The Pats don't want to pay him what he feels he's worth, and they don't want to re-franchise him next year and pay $11.4M for a season. The problem for them in trying to trade him is the draft pick and salary cost to a new team, which is why they haven't been able to trade him yet, and he's been on the block for a month. Perhaps if a contender loses a top WR, he might get traded. But I'd put the odds as slim-to-none AFA getting a trade done.

He's worth a 4th if he willing to sign a 4 year deal $40 M, last year club optional. He's been a durable guy as well, he's personally killed us over the years.

Mouldsie
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
He's worth a 4th if he willing to sign a 4 year deal $40 M, last year club optional. He's been a durable guy as well, he's personally killed us over the years.
He's not worth more money than Stevie IMO

Skooby
09-21-2012, 02:07 PM
He's not worth more money than Stevie IMO

He lead the NFL in reception yards last season & the Pats ended up in the Superbowl, we ended up in the toilet bowl 12 years running. You want to win in the NFL, you look for proven talent that can improve you in positions of weakness, WR being one if not our biggest weakness.

better days
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
He lead the NFL in reception yards last season & the Pats ended up in the Superbowl, we ended up in the toilet bowl 12 years running. You want to win in the NFL, you look for proven talent that can improve you in positions of weakness, WR being one if not our biggest weakness.

Well, I would trade a 4th to the Pats* for Gronk or Hernandez. NOT for a 31 year old WR that will be a FA after the season is over.

Skooby
09-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Well, I would trade a 4th to the Pats* for Gronk or Hernandez. NOT for a 31 year old WR that will be a FA after the season is over.

Think we can get 3 more years out him ?? If so, we sign him to a 4 year contract with the last season club optional. If he doesn't want a long-term deal (which he just did), then we don't get him. It isn't like we don't need the help at WR, we're desperate for it.

Turf
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
I would give first for Gronk, seriously? Crazy bastard is the best TE ever to play the game.

Goobylal
09-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm fine with them marginalizing him this year and then him being gone next year.

Mouldsie
09-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree but you must also consider team chemistry and long term value. Welker isnt getting 10m/yr anywhere. If he comes here he's the WR1-B so he should be paid along the same lines as SJ.

Another FA at the end of the year who is 3 years younger and worth a look is Greg Jennings.

Then there is the apple of my eye, Mike Wallace.

And Dwayne Bowe.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-21-2012, 05:37 PM
I would give first for Gronk, seriously? Crazy bastard is the best TE ever to play the game.

Any team in the league would stampede to the phones to get Gronk for a first. You'd need more than that.

DynaPaul
09-21-2012, 09:34 PM
They're trying to make an example out of Welker because he's not playing by the "Patriot Way". He still has gas in the tank.

BillsFever21
09-21-2012, 09:59 PM

We could've already had Gronkowski if we had a competent front office. They felt they needed Troupe instead. Gronkowksi was drafted the following spot after that pick. Good job by the front office on that one. It's not like we didn't need a TE or any receiving threats. We also needed a DL but would you rather draft one of the top tier TE's in a position of need or a 2nd tier drafted DL at the time? Hindsight is always 20/20 but the choice seems simple even at that time.

stuckincincy
09-21-2012, 10:21 PM
We could've already had Gronkowski if we had a competent front office. They felt they needed Troupe instead. Gronkowksi was drafted the following spot after that pick. Good job by the front office on that one. It's not like we didn't need a TE or any receiving threats. We also needed a DL but would you rather draft one of the top tier TE's in a position of need or a 2nd tier drafted DL at the time? Hindsight is always 20/20 but the choice seems simple even at that time.

It's a mystery. BUF coaching and GM regimes for what, the past 25 years? - have though little of the TE spot. CIN was the same. They tapped Gresham in the 1st a few years back. He's an OK blocker, nothing that stands out, and has this or that injury. I give him a B- on his good days. He's piled up nice reception numbers, and tds, but you never get the impression that he's a so-called "game changer."

better days
09-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Think we can get 3 more years out him ?? If so, we sign him to a 4 year contract with the last season club optional. If he doesn't want a long-term deal (which he just did), then we don't get him. It isn't like we don't need the help at WR, we're desperate for it.

I don't know Welker has 3 more QUALITY years left in him. Hell, he did not produce in crunch time in the last Super Bowl.

clumping platelets
09-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Pats won't trade him to us mid-season..........

Skooby
09-21-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't know Welker has 3 more QUALITY years left in him. Hell, he did not produce in crunch time in the last Super Bowl.

I wonder that as well but our owner doesn't have all lifetime to wait for the best fielded team now does he? We also have a schedule that is relatively easy & after 50 years of brain damage, it's a long work in progress that needs the best possible conclusion.

If we put Ralph in the ground with a SB ring, the area will celebrate & the team is more likely to stay in Buffalo. How do you propose past these factors come around again based on what we have in front of us now?

Sammy Avalon
09-22-2012, 03:48 AM

That's mostly a mental thing. Kind of like erectile dysfunction. Giving him a fresh start would get right back to the stud he always was.

Goobylal
09-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Many teams could have had Gronk, and a few passed on him twice. He missed his senior season after back surgery, which is a concern. His career probably will be stellar, but brief.

Skooby
09-22-2012, 08:34 AM
That's mostly a mental thing. Kind of like erectile dysfunction. Giving him a fresh start would get right back to the stud he always was.

ED is created by your victim's beauty, usually excess weight wrecks the date.

better days
09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I wonder that as well but our owner doesn't have all lifetime to wait for the best fielded team now does he? We also have a schedule that is relatively easy & after 50 years of brain damage, it's a long work in progress that needs the best possible conclusion.

If we put Ralph in the ground with a SB ring, the area will celebrate & the team is more likely to stay in Buffalo. How do you propose past these factors come around again based on what we have in front of us now?

Welker did not help the Pats* win a Super Bowl with Tom Brady throwing him the ball yet you expect him to help the Bills win a Super Bowl with Fitz throwing him the ball? LOL.

Skooby
09-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Welker did not help the Pats* win a Super Bowl with Tom Brady throwing him the ball yet you expect him to help the Bills win a Super Bowl with Fitz throwing him the ball? LOL.

Wes's presence on our team would improve our chances of success. Would you like to have last season's yardage leader in reception yards or not ? To even fathom he couldn't help Fitz or make us better is really sad, maybe one of our 4B WRs' can bring us success, maybe not.

Improve at every chance you get, at any position is a key to success. You never know how good you are until you lose.

SABURZFAN
09-22-2012, 11:06 AM

why not? a 4th rounder is the equivalent of Marcus Easley. his one season here would outproduce what Easley did here.

better days
09-23-2012, 08:59 AM
why not? a 4th rounder is the equivalent of Marcus Easley. his one season here would outproduce what Easley did here.

Well, Hairston was also a 4th rnd pick. I would hate to see the Pats* get ANYTHING for a player they will lose by the end of the season. Why not just wait & sign him as a FA? I doubt any team will trade for Welker.

GingerP
09-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, Hairston was also a 4th rnd pick. I would hate to see the Pats* get ANYTHING for a player they will lose by the end of the season. Why not just wait & sign him as a FA? I doubt any team will trade for Welker.

I'm not sure he is even on the market, the reports seem to be pure conjecture.

Remember, even if he leaves in FA next year they could get a compensatory draft pick as high as a 3rd in 2014, depending on what happens in FA with them. It makes more sense for them to keep him even if he is just a slot guy, unless someone offers more than compensatory value. I don't know how valid this rumor is, and doubt he is really available.

Bill Cody
09-23-2012, 12:41 PM

lol

better days
09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure he is even on the market, the reports seem to be pure conjecture.

Remember, even if he leaves in FA next year they could get a compensatory draft pick as high as a 3rd in 2014, depending on what happens in FA with them. It makes more sense for them to keep him even if he is just a slot guy, unless someone offers more than compensatory value. I don't know how valid this rumor is, and doubt he is really available.

Well, if the Pats* can get a team to give them a 3rd or 4th, they will be off the hook for the rest of the $9mill + that Welker is owed this year.

Marcala12
09-24-2012, 03:53 AM
betterdays, you said, "well you're wrong" when I said Welker hasn't lost a step. He has 250 yards in the last 6 quarters and has looked beastly doing it. You know so damn little about football. Anyone who knows anything knows it's personal between the pats and welker. your biggest point in why Welker "sucks" is that he dropped 3 passes in his last 4 games as if age has anything to do with dropping passes. It was a fluke, the best pass catcher in the league right now is Gonzo and he's 5 years older than Welker. Welker is clearly just as fast and explosive, he looked very good in the last half of the Titans game and he looked like on of the best WR's in the league today. Don't talk bud.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2012, 05:12 AM
betterdays, you said, "well you're wrong" when I said Welker hasn't lost a step. He has 250 yards in the last 6 quarters and has looked beastly doing it. You know so damn little about football. Anyone who knows anything knows it's personal between the pats and welker. your biggest point in why Welker "sucks" is that he dropped 3 passes in his last 4 games as if age has anything to do with dropping passes. It was a fluke, the best pass catcher in the league right now is Gonzo and he's 5 years older than Welker. Welker is clearly just as fast and explosive, he looked very good in the last half of the Titans game and he looked like on of the best WR's in the league today. Don't talk bud.

Was just about to post something similar. Welker was obviously in the dog house the first 6 quarters of the season and Belichick was making an example of him that no one is bigger than the team. He was allowed to play and do his thing and same ole Welker.

Historian
09-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Pass.

NE can keep their "high motor" guys.

We have plenty 3rd WRs on this team already.

Marcala12
09-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Pass.

NE can keep their "high motor" guys.

We have plenty 3rd WRs on this team already.

#3 WR? he's probably going to make the HOF, lol.

Skooby
09-24-2012, 08:00 AM
#3 WR? he's probably going to make the HOF, lol.

We'd probably be assured an additional 6-8 points a game average if he was on our team.

better days
09-24-2012, 09:20 AM
The others did, but Starr didn't play or coach for anyone other than the Packers. He was considered the ideal Packer, and even his terrible record as a head coach wasn't enough to tarnish his star in Green Bay.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brady ended up elsewhere at some point, either.

Yeah, my mistake.

better days
09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
We'd probably be assured an additional 6-8 points a game average if he was on our team.

Well, the PaTs* are now 1-2 with Welker.

Marcala12
09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Well, the PaTs* are now 1-2 with Welker.

And the Lions are 1-2 with Calvin. Guess he sucks too. You continue to make points that just fall dead on a doorstep. Wes Welker is really good; you tried to tell people they were wrong for saying so and you insinuated that he sucks. You were wrong and you just keep going and going. Everyone knows you were wrong; you know you were wrong. Let it go pal.

Skooby
09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
And the Lions are 1-2 with Calvin. Guess he sucks too. You continue to make points that just fall dead on a doorstep. Wes Welker is really good; you tried to tell people they were wrong for saying so and you insinuated that he sucks. You were wrong and you just keep going and going. Everyone knows you were wrong; you know you were wrong. Let it go pal.

LOL, post of the month for sure. It's pretty sad when obvious is punching you & you stay in denial, Wes would be a weapon on any team.

Marcala12
09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
LOL, post of the month for sure. It's pretty sad when obvious is punching you & you stay in denial, Wes would be a weapon on any team.

i think he just hates Welker so he looks at him with bias. Can't really blame him, Wes has killed us in the past.

Skooby
09-24-2012, 10:34 AM
i think he just hates Welker so he looks at him with bias. Can't really blame him, Wes has killed us in the past.

No I agree, Wes has personally killed us many times.

better days
09-24-2012, 04:46 PM

You are an idiot that does not know how to read. I never said Welker sucked, I said he is over 30 years old & will be a FREE AGENT at the end of the year. If the Bills sign him as a FA next year, I would be fine with that. And Calvin Johnson is not playing like Calvin Johnson so far this year, 1 TD in 3 games.