PDA

View Full Version : 5 reasons to hate the cleveland browns

Joebuffalowins
09-20-2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-bills/articles/5-reasons-to-hate-the-cleveland-browns.html

Am I missing anything?

Jan Reimers
09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
A point and a sense of humor?

Meathead
09-20-2012, 10:41 AM
ouch

stuckincincy
09-20-2012, 11:32 AM
ouch

We are a *****ly bunch since the season started, eh? Uh-oh...looks like I just dissed Canada. Eh?

gebobs
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Here are two really good reasons...

Drafting Ernie Davis the same year we did, signing him away from us, and killing him.

Drafting Paul Warfield the same year we did, signing him away from us, and trading him to Miami.

One really special reason to like the Browns...

Trading a draft pick to us for that ***** Tom Cousineau. That pick eventually became Jim Kelly.

TigerJ
09-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I was a Cleveland fan back in the 1960s.

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Ronnie Freakin' Harmon

the mention of the name makes me want to punch babies

Mr. Pink
09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I cannot go to the website because my computer is blocking it.

This website has been blocked temporarily because of the following reason(s):
Malware: Site may contain content that is harmful, illegal, or malicious to your computer

You should check into this Joebuffalowins.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Here's one, dunno if it was in the article...

On a related note, Buffalo tied with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the worst record in 1985 and would have had the first pick in the 1986 draft. Since that pick was traded to Cleveland and it was used for the 1985 supplemental draft, the Bills essentially traded the first overall pick in the 1986 draft. Cleveland used the pick to select Bernie Kosar.

gebobs
09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Here's one, dunno if it was in the article...

On a related note, Buffalo tied with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the worst record in 1985 and would have had the first pick in the 1986 draft. Since that pick was traded to Cleveland and it was used for the 1985 supplemental draft, the Bills essentially traded the first overall pick in the 1986 draft. Cleveland used the pick to select Bernie Kosar.
That's a reason to hate them? We already had Kelly though he was MIA and that trade got us Will Wolford, Derrick Burroughs, and Hal Garner. They traded down to get Burroughs so I don't know what else they got.

Kosar was good, but overrated.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2012, 09:11 PM
That's a reason to hate them? We already had Kelly though he was MIA and that trade got us Will Wolford, Derrick Burroughs, and Hal Garner. They traded down to get Burroughs so I don't know what else they got.

It's the fact that they traded away what would have been the 1st overall pick to get those guys.

Even in hindsight do you think those 3 guys were more valuable than the 1st overall pick?

Plus, say they don't make that trade. Instead of picking Harmon, they might just take Wolford instead which means Harmon never is a Bill.

imbondz
09-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't hate Cleveland. Don't really cheer for them, but don't hate them. If they ever start winning, then i'll hate them.

gebobs
09-21-2012, 12:28 AM
It's the fact that they traded away what would have been the 1st overall pick to get those guys.

Even in hindsight do you think those 3 guys were more valuable than the 1st overall pick?
The question is: even in hindsight, were those players more valuable to the Bills than Kosar. I would say a qualified and tentative yes...there's conviction for ya.

So they keep the pick in 1986 and use it for Bo Jackson. He doesn't get injured after 3 years and the Bills don't draft Thurmon. Thurmon gets drafted by the Pats and his ability to catch out of the backfield wins the Patriots the '98 SB. ;-)

Anyhoo...nice to bring that up...brought back memories of the genesis of the glory years.

And let me reiterate...Kosar was overrated.

gebobs
09-21-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't hate Cleveland. Don't really cheer for them, but don't hate them. If they ever start winning, then i'll hate them.
I'll tell you the franchises I hate. Let's see...are they the Bills? No? I hate them.

The Bills? OK, I hate them too. ;-)

Mr. Pink
09-21-2012, 01:25 AM
The question is: even in hindsight, were those players more valuable to the Bills than Kosar. I would say a qualified and tentative yes...there's conviction for ya.

So they keep the pick in 1986 and use it for Bo Jackson. He doesn't get injured after 3 years and the Bills don't draft Thurmon. Thurmon gets drafted by the Pats and his ability to catch out of the backfield wins the Patriots the '98 SB. ;-)

Anyhoo...nice to bring that up...brought back memories of the genesis of the glory years.

And let me reiterate...Kosar was overrated.

Kosar was not the 1st pick overall in 86. That pick was used to select Kosar in the 85 Supplemental Draft.

Buffalo would not have used the pick on Kosar, obviously, they would have had the 1st overall pick in the 86 draft.

The first pick that year was Bo Jackson...now the question becomes if the Bills take him, does he play here? If they don't take him, who do they take instead? But if they do take Bo 1st overall, they certainly don't take Ronnie Harmon later that round and instead likely take Wolford anyways. So in essence, you're talking Bo and Wolford instead of Harmon, Wolford, Burroughs and Garner.

We all know how Harmon turned out here. People still hate him. If the trade between the Browns and Bills never takes place, Harmon never plays here is basically my stance on this.

Kosar is absolutely meaningless to the discussion as he would have never played here.

gebobs
09-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Kosar is absolutely meaningless to the discussion as he would have never played here.
Meaningless? Why it has all the meaning in the world to me. I lived in Cleveland during the Kosar years. I listened to Browns fans repeatedly singing "Bernie, Bernie" to the tune of "Louie, Louie". I watched as his career unraveled and he was run out of town so fast that it made the Cuyahoga run backwards for a week.

OK...so the Bills don't draft Harmon. Instead they take unknown Japanese standout, Haruki Tsujimoto, the love child of Yoko Ono and a guy who was drafted by the Sabres.

ParanoidAndroid
09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
They have the weirdest team name followed by the Bills. I wrote this last sentence and then found this article....a good read if you have the time. The author agrees. Make sure you read the patriots helmet emblem explanation. Funny stuff!

http://www.liquivista.com/eeeeeegp/NotGiants/FBDB.html

BTW.... note my username change :D

Jan Reimers
09-22-2012, 07:24 AM

I was a big Browns fan throughout my childhood, until the Bills came to town in 1960.

Loved Otto Graham, Lou Groza, Marion Motley, Big and Little Mo, Lenny Ford, Donte Lavelli, Ray Renfro, Mac Speedie and - of course - the best of all, Jim Brown.

Night Train
09-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Ditto, Tiger. Leroy Kelly, Gary Collins etc.

Back in the 1960's and early 1970's, the home Bills games were never on locally. So we got Cleveland on CBS at 1pm and the west coast AFL games on NBC at 4pm for many years.

Later in the early 1970's, Dallas changed their starting time for home games to 3pm Central in order to dominate the late game slot and were picked up by the majority of the country on CBS. NBC and the AFC always were on at 1pm, whether it was the Bills or another team. Back then, their was 14 regular season games and Dallas was probably on TV 10 of those weeks.

Thus the large number of Cleveland & Dallas fans in Buffalo.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
I cannot hate the Cleveland Browns and I can't hate their fans either, for all our *****ing about Ralph at least our team's owner never took a colossal dump on us while ripping our hearts out by relocating our team. Don't get me wrong, I don't like em this week and want the Bills to stomp them but I can't say I hate them. I would even cheer for them if they went on a Superbowl run and got a Lombardi trophy for Cleveland (provided of course we won one first).

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Meaningless? Why it has all the meaning in the world to me. I lived in Cleveland during the Kosar years. I listened to Browns fans repeatedly singing "Bernie, Bernie" to the tune of "Louie, Louie". I watched as his career unraveled and he was run out of town so fast that it made the Cuyahoga run backwards for a week.

OK...so the Bills don't draft Harmon. Instead they take unknown Japanese standout, Haruki Tsujimoto, the love child of Yoko Ono and a guy who was drafted by the Sabres.

It's simple. The Bills gave up the number 1 pick overall, which turned into Bo Jackson, for the guys you listed. It would have also meant that Harmon would have never been drafted by the franchise. Double whammy to be po'd about especially if you think Bo would have played here.

Pre-injury Bo Jackson was one of the most dominant running backs I've ever seen.

YardRat
09-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Derrick Burroughs is one of my favorite players of all time. He was just getting to 'lock-down' level when the injury cut his career short.

Just to nicely complete the circle between your, FTY and Lecter's post, Harmon was our first pick in that '86 draft :ill:

YardRat
09-23-2012, 08:52 AM
It's simple. The Bills gave up the number 1 pick overall, which turned into Bo Jackson, for the guys you listed. It would have also meant that Harmon would have never been drafted by the franchise. Double whammy to be po'd about especially if you think Bo would have played here.

Pre-injury Bo Jackson was one of the most dominant running backs I've ever seen.

Didn't see the Harmon reference before I posted...my bad.

Anyway...Jackson would've never signed with Buffalo, he would've boned us just like he did Tampa.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Didn't see the Harmon reference before I posted...my bad.

Anyway...Jackson would've never signed with Buffalo, he would've boned us just like he did Tampa.

Then people would have Bo to hate instead around here :rofl:

stuckincincy
09-23-2012, 09:12 AM

I think quite a few folks were - a legacy of the A.A.F.C. and the football Bflo. Bisons.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2012, 09:35 AM

I don't know, I think Thurman Thomas and Kenny Davis were good enough.