• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

Win at home ... or else!

July 6, 2003) -- As we all get ready for the start of the 2003 season -- and most club personnel and fans conduct themselves like they are undefeated, which they are at this point -- it's important to keep in mind winning at home might be the most critical component to success and to keeping your job if you are a coach.

I took a close look at every team's home record over the past three years, and it exposes the realities of reaching the goal of making the playoffs this time of year. Losing at home is a surefire way to miss the playoffs and it will get a coach fired faster than anything else.

Believe me, I have firsthand experience with losing at home. When I was with the Jets in the '90s we had a poor home-field record and went through four head coaches in the decade. This year, four of the five new head coaches got their jobs when the home-field record got to an embarrassing level. The new head coaches have to find a way to win at home.

Marvin Lewis takes over the Bengals with an 8-16 record in Cincinnati, Steve Mariucci has to show the Lions how to turn around a 9-15 record, Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio is looking at a 10-14 home-field experience and Bill Parcells must get the 11-13 Cowboys back on track.
    The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
Working...
X