PDA

View Full Version : Good Memory Puts Warhop in Dallas

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 04:41 PM
IRVING, Texas -Perhaps no group of Cowboys received as much criticism last season as the offensive line.

Injuries, more injuries and a lack of overall cohesiveness plagued the team up front all year long.

Now the Cowboys will look to former Arizona Cardinals offensive line coach George Warhop to turn things around.

If his past is any indication, Warhop could be just the man for the job.

And while his past has never included coaching for Bill Parcells until now, a few college practices nearly 10 years ago made him the prime candidate to spearhead the Cowboys' offensive line.

Parcells said Warhop was his first choice in hiring an offensive line coach, and first noticed him while attending practices at Boston College a few years back. As head coach of the Patriots in the mid-90's, Parcells would visit his good friend Dan Henning, a longtime NFL coach, and then head coach at BC.

"I would go to spring practice and I saw him there coaching," Parcells said. "They were turning out some pretty good lineman up there. And I watched him closely on the field. He interested me and I knew Dan thought a lot of him. He was my No. 1 guy that I was interested in.

"George is very smart. He knows the pro game and knows protection. And he's pretty tough. And I want an offensive line that is tough."

Warhop said he can be tough on his players, too, but hopes it comes with an understanding of trying to win while getting his players to improve.

"If you talk to my guys in Arizona, they'd tell you that I'm fair, but I'm demanding," Warhop said. "It doesn't matter who you are. You either do it right or you don't. If you don't do it right, we'll have issues. If you do it right, we'll be on the same page. I've gotten along with most of my guys, not all of them. But I'd say there is a mutual respect with all of them."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_070703.html