PDA

View Full Version : Our CB's suck.

OpIv37
09-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Aaron Williams got beat twice and was only able to recover because Weeden under threw the ball both times. A better QB makes those throws. Brady will eat him alive.

McGee had one nice play but also had 3 or 4 completions right in his grill. Again. He's washed up.

Cleveland didn't seem to want to throw at Gilmore, but once again he blew an assignment and left a guy wide open for a TD.

seriously, Brady will have a field day against this crew.

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 05:02 PM
We shall see

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Cleveland just doesn't like throwing to their WRs cuz as you could tell they're not very good at catching the ball.

Buddo
09-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Must be time to panic.
Both Gilmore and Williams are young and works in progress. Of the two, Williams is the more suspect tbh.
McGee probably isn't fully fit, but MCKelvin is so inept, he has to play.
Mistakes will be made, but it should be expected, due to inexperience.
Hopefully, as the season progresses, they will all improve, with experience and, in McGee's case, fitness.
Further on down the road, we may well get to see what Brooks has, and tbh, I think he might get ahead of Williams, eventually.
While I agree that we need better play from our CBs, I also believe that that is likely to happen. There is plenty of ability there, but it's suffering from the need to learn on the job.

Syderick
09-23-2012, 05:19 PM
The Bills have tried to draft decent Dbs over the last few years.

Beebe's Kid
09-23-2012, 05:29 PM
If Gillmore actually plays a physical defense and not some 10 yard cushion **** on that TD, I think he has himself in a better spot, but I am sick and tired of waiting for him to get it. He has had 3 weeks, and we have only won two of those games. We have to be realists and realize that he will never amount to anything...

Williams only recovered because of the short throw...which is exactly what the announcers said, but it looked a little different to me, it looked like he recovered and got a hand in there and broke up the pass...the throws didn't look as bad as whoever the announcer was said. I didn't even know that I should have been so alarmed until my TV told me, but now that I know I am mad.

I am so mad that I don't care if we win, or if we lose, I am going to pick out something in the game and I am going to know that we will never be any good because of that. I will change it every week if I have to. That isn't negative, that is realism. That is really looking for something to be a real douche about.

...and so it goes.

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
If Gillmore actually plays a physical defense and not some 10 yard cushion **** on that TD, I think he has himself in a better spot, but I am sick and tired of waiting for him to get it. He has had 3 weeks, and we have only won two of those games. We have to be realists and realize that he will never amount to anything...

Williams only recovered because of the short throw...which is exactly what the announcers said, but it looked a little different to me, it looked like he recovered and got a hand in there and broke up the pass...the throws didn't look as bad as whoever the announcer was said. I didn't even know that I should have been so alarmed until my TV told me, but now that I know I am mad.

I am so mad that I don't care if we win, or if we lose, I am going to pick out something in the game and I am going to know that we will never be any good because of that. I will change it every week if I have to. That isn't negative, that is realism. That is really looking for something to be a real douche about.

...and so it goes.

You dont think that has anything with the schemes? How the want them to play defense. Im sure thats on the coaches

kingJofNYC
09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
TD Gilmore gave up was more mental than anything. Just shows a lack of smarts. WR faked the post and went to the corner. Bills were in single high, so if the receiver runs a post just stay outside of him and take him to your help, the single high safety. Instead, he tries to stay with the receiver the entire time and forgets were his help his. You should never allow a guy to fake you out on a PoCo route when you're in single high, never. Use your brain, and stay to the outside, if he wants to go to the middle, squeeze him into your safety.

Williams just doesn't have the speed to make any mistakes, and he has to have a safety over the top. Rogers has been solid in the slot for the most part.

OpIv37
09-23-2012, 05:51 PM

...and so it goes.

Just because we won doesn't mean there isn't room for criticism. A win doesnt mean the whole team was perfect.

Put your head in the sand if you want. The reality is that our CB's are not good. You will see next week.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Just because we won doesn't mean there isn't room for criticism. A win doesnt mean the whole team was perfect.

Put your head in the sand if you want. The reality is that our CB's are not good. You will see next week.

You should know by now Op. Beebe's Kid has been like this since he's joined the forums. When the team wins apparently you cannot criticize anything about the team in his opinion. And instead of him being able to offer a coherent, thought out, respectable response as to why your viewpoint is wrong...he just goes into a sarcastic laden monologue of garbage.

It's his shtick. Although to be honest, since he obviously doesn't like discussing football, I don't know why he even bothered to get 2600+ posts.

imbondz
09-23-2012, 06:00 PM
I can't remember when the last time our cbs were consistently good.

Skooby
09-23-2012, 06:01 PM
LOL, Brady is dead man walking right now based on what I've seen.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 06:10 PM
LOL, Brady is dead man walking right now based on what I've seen.

If the performance we saw today is what we see next week, Brady and those receivers will shred this D.

Did you see how many missed passes Weeden had? How many drops Browns receivers had? The couple times he held the ball too long and got sacked? The 2nd INT Weeden threw that was just a horrible decision?

All of the above doesn't happen with Brady and his band of friends playing catch.

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Brady is going to get smashed by our DLine. There I said it LOL

OpIv37
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Brady is going to get smashed by our DLine. There I said it LOL

The DL has been inconsistent so far. They sucked against the Jets and were good against KC. Today, they started strong in the 1st, disappeared in the 2nd until about halfway through the 3rd, then finished strong. NE has some problems up front so they COULD be primed for a big day, but with the inconsistency shown so far, it's not a given. They are going to have to get after Brady to give our DL a fighting chance.

Oh, and expect at least one ridiculous "late hit" flag called on us for getting too close to Brady.

YardRat
09-23-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm not concerned about Gilmore...he made huge strides just between the Jets and KC game alone, and the fact they weren't throwing at him today might at least indicate his man was covered. The TD? Meh...it's going to happen, happens to every CB in the league. Plus, that was more confusion on set-up than anything, if you noticed just prior to the snap Wilson or Byrd moved him back and he kind of raised his arms like he didn't get the call.

As I said before, granted the throws by Weeden weren't the best, but the bottom-line is Williams still recovered and made the plays. Better than McKelvin waving at the ball as it flies by his head.

Rogers has played decent, not outstanding not terrible...McGee is old and on his last legs, that's not a big revelation for anybody around here. McKelvin's fine as a #4 or #5 (yes, not good enough for a high first rounder) and as long as we can keep more talented guys ahead of him it's not bad having a guy like him in that slot, especially considering what he brings to ST's. Can't wait to see what Brooks brings to the table when he recovers, I like that kid a lot.

They may not be great yet as a unit, but there is room to grow, and they for sure are a helluva lot better than the crews we had a few years ago when many were on their nuts over the smoke and mirrors from the yards against stats.

Beebe
09-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Williams should play 5 yards off, Gillmore 1 yard off

Oaf
09-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Gilmore stinks right now, but I'll wait till the end of next year before passing judgement on him.

feldspar
09-24-2012, 05:32 AM
I don't think we know who we are yet as a football team...it's a long season. I think last year proved that it's wise to wait and see a little bit...that year we went 5-1 with Trent Edwards not too long ago proved that as well.

The Bills are 2-1, so that's a good thing...the most important thing. Only one single team has a better record in the AFC. Only 4 other teams are 2-1 in our conference. But, of course, it's only week 3...which is kind of my whole point. We'd be in the playoffs as a Wildcard if the season ended today. LOL. How ridiculous does that sound? The passing defense is a whole unit, not just the CBs. Pass rush is just as important. I think the Giants lost like 3 main CBs at the beginning of the season last year, but they were eventually able to compensate. The point is that it works together as a whole on defense, particularly in the passing game.

X-Era
09-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Gilmore made a horrible play on the TD pass. He was reading the QB instead of staying with his man.

But, this is what the Bills chose to do... start a rookie CB.

We know it will cost us at times. Let's just be hopeful that it doesn't cost us games.

CoolBreeze
09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
I will put down a weeks paycheck to see you cover a NFL wide receiver. I'm willing to bet they would score 100 out of 100. I'm convinced a 50 year old Jerry Rice would do the same thing to you. Its funny how your mouth is far more advanced than your ability. If your a better CB, then man up.
Aaron Williams got beat twice and was only able to recover because Weeden under threw the ball both times. A better QB makes those throws. Brady will eat him alive.

McGee had one nice play but also had 3 or 4 completions right in his grill. Again. He's washed up.

Cleveland didn't seem to want to throw at Gilmore, but once again he blew an assignment and left a guy wide open for a TD.

Extremebillsfan247
09-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Aaron Williams is in his 2nd season, Gilmore is a rookie. They aren't exactly Cromartie and Revis. Williams showed great ability to close a gap and make a play on the ball. But just like Gilmore, he's going to have his share of mistakes out there primarily because of his lack of experience. The longer these 2 play together, the better they will get. But, it will take time. JMO

Mahdi
09-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Ya but yer not really criticizing the CBs, you are saying they suck. That's different. Are they inexperienced? Yes, and they will make errors, but they are also talented CBs. AW did lose ground on two of those throws but he had the recovery speed and body control to break up the pass anyway. That is a perfect example of inexperienced talent.

AW is basically still a rookie. He missed half the season last year. Gilmore needs to remember that if he is going to cover a guy that tight and not use his safety help as King said, then he can't get turned around because that is where he gave up the separation.

OpIv37
09-24-2012, 07:53 AM
I will put down a weeks paycheck to see you cover a NFL wide receiver. I'm willing to bet they would score 100 out of 100. I'm convinced a 50 year old Jerry Rice would do the same thing to you. Its funny how your mouth is far more advanced than your ability. If your a better CB, then man up.

It's not about me. I'm not the one getting paid millions to do the job and then doing it poorly. Aaron Williams couldn't do my job either, but that's no excuse for me to do it poorly.

Historian
09-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I actually thought the CBs did a fairly good job, considering Cleveland was in pass mode from the beginning of quarter 2.

I hated seeing Byrd robbed of an int due to a penalty too.

justasportsfan
09-24-2012, 08:51 AM

I agree . it's that you're ready to move on after a win but start so many whiny threads when we lose.

justasportsfan
09-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I do however agree. Although our DL got to Weeden there were times where he could have made us pay when he had time. A better qb isn't going to give us so much chances.We won't win if our DL doesn't get to Brady more often than the did Weeden.

I would put Scott in there vs. the PAts. He's the best lb'ers we have there against the pass. To beat Brady you have to drop back most of our lb'ers and rush with only four. The Pats have been beaten via coverage sacks.

better days
09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I think Williams had his best day at CB against the Browns.

Mr. Miyagi
09-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Brady will have a field day against this crew.
Normally I'd roll my eyes and say Negative Nancy is at it again.

However I feel the same way on this statement. Brady will pick our CBs apart if we give him time. Our DL need to give him relentless rush all day. I want to see Steelers type wave after wave of rushing at Brady, and our safeties need to help our corners to cover these WRs.

We can start by Nancy Kerrigan-ing Brandon Lloyd. Hopefully Edelman broke his hand yesterday too.

better days
09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I do however agree. Although our DL got to Weeden there were times where he could have made us pay when he had time. A better qb isn't going to give us so much chances.We won't win if our DL doesn't get to Brady more often than the did Weeden.

I would put Scott in there vs. the PAts. He's the best lb'ers we have there against the pass. To beat Brady you have to drop back most of our lb'ers and rush with only four. The Pats have been beaten via coverage sacks.

Yeah, the DL has to bring it & get to Brady. It can be done, the Giants have proven that.