PDA

View Full Version : Bills haven't allowed one sack through 3 games

Skooby
09-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Credit is due based on that alone, damn.

SquishDaFish
09-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Agreed and they are run blocking.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 05:33 PM
NFL.com says he got sacked once today but yeah, I don't remember it happening.

mikemac2001
09-23-2012, 05:33 PM
NFL.com says he got sacked once today but yeah, I don't remember it happening.

fitz fumble?

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 05:34 PM
fitz fumble?

Good call! Don't know why I didn't think of that...that would have been the sack.

we are
09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
dont know why that would be considered a sack when he was never touched...

Slim
09-23-2012, 05:45 PM
He was never touched, to me it didn't even look like a fumble.

Skooby
09-23-2012, 05:54 PM
If they call that a sack, it's a sad day based on a horrible call on a forward pass INC.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2012, 05:57 PM
If they call that a sack, it's a sad day based on a horrible call on a forward pass INC.

It would be a sack. As a QB behind the LOS in a passing situation being "down" is a sack. Technically he's "down" when fumbling in a passing motion. I know "down" isn't the right word but hopefully gets the point across properly.

Skooby
09-23-2012, 05:59 PM
It would be a sack. As a QB behind the LOS in a passing situation being "down" is a sack. Technically he's "down" when fumbling in a passing motion. I know "down" isn't the right word but hopefully gets the point across properly.

Technically speaking maybe, the O-line is so much better than our current opponents it's scary.

YardRat
09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Sorry, but I'm still not impressed with the sack stat for this offensive line...they rarely throw down the field, even on intermediate routes, and the ball is out of Fitz's hand so quickly there is hardly enough time to even get a late lick on him.

That being said, their run blocking has been superb, mostly on the left side, and Glenn already should have erased any doubts about his potential to be the cornerstone at LT we've been looking for since Peters left. Pears still is weak.

I'll give them their due re:sacks allowed when they start throwing downfield (if, is probably more like it) and Fitz's jersey is still clean.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-23-2012, 08:17 PM
O-line is def better then they were in recent years. Run blocking has been great, pass blocking even though Fitz throws quickly has been good.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
fitz incompletion that was called a fumble?

Fixed it for you, that was one of many bull**** calls today. I don't know when it will happen but these replacement refs will decide a game this year.

gebobs
09-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Better believe if Brady made that throw, it would have been called incomplete. And the rain would have been called for roughing the passer.

feldspar
09-24-2012, 04:02 AM
If that was a sack, they have to attribute it to somebody, right? Who sacked him? Who exactly? If you look at the stat sheet for the game at nfl.com, no Browns player is accredited for a sack. Call me crazy, but Fitz was sacked even though nobody sacked him...that's just not a sack then. Nobody touched him. How in the world does that make sense? It makes no sense.

kishoph
09-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Sorry, but I'm still not impressed with the sack stat for this offensive line...they rarely throw down the field, even on intermediate routes, and the ball is out of Fitz's hand so quickly there is hardly enough time to even get a late lick on him.

That being said, their run blocking has been superb, mostly on the left side, and Glenn already should have erased any doubts about his potential to be the cornerstone at LT we've been looking for since Peters left. Pears still is weak.

I'll give them their due re:sacks allowed when they start throwing downfield (if, is probably more like it) and Fitz's jersey is still clean.

I have to disagree to some extent, teams are always going to try to have their QB get rid of the ball quicker, watch how quick Brees or Manning get rid of the ball. The average sack last season came around 2.8 seconds, there's plenty of times in the game where Fitz has the ball longer than 3 seconds, it's just not downfield passes that require time, Fitz plenty of times goes through his progressions, which takes time. I just went through the 1st half real quick and Fitz had 22 attempts and there were maybe 4 passes where he took a short drop and got rid of the ball quickly (around 2 seconds). Also not only are they not giving up sacks, but Fitz has only been hit 8 times, in 86 attempts, that's outstanding. As far as Pears being weak, I'm not so sure, they have rushed for 11 first downs over the right side, more than the left (6) and middle (4) combined. Obviously the coaching staff has the confidence to rush on he right, so Pears must be doing something good. This may become the best line ever for the Bills, which would be saying a lot (I know it's early).

The best thing about having "Game Rewind," is you can go back over the game and see things, such as how dominant the offensive line really played. Although the best thing has been watching Spiller run and the blocking downfield by the linemen. On Spiller's TD yesterday, Urbik made a block downfield that took out two defenders, springing Spiller for the last 10 yards.

ParanoidAndroid
09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
And the rain would have been called for roughing the passer.

:rofl:

jimmifli
09-24-2012, 07:25 AM

There are two things that great Oline's do:
-Protect the QB long enough to throw down field
-Get short yards (3rd and 2 type runs)

Our line does neither. They haven't really been asked.

Marcala12
09-24-2012, 07:26 AM
We have a top 10 D-line and a top 10 o-line and it's not debatable. We probably have the best rb tandem in the league, we have one very good WR, and we have an easy schedule. 9-7 or 10-6 this year.

kishoph
09-24-2012, 08:37 AM
There are two things that great Oline's do:
-Protect the QB long enough to throw down field
-Get short yards (3rd and 2 type runs)

Our line does neither. They haven't really been asked.

On 3rd and 4 or less, they have run the ball 4 times this year, converting on 3 of them and just short on a 3rd and 4 carry by Choice against the Chiefs when the game was already out of hand.
They have not given up one legit sack this year (1 official sack). Fitz had more than enough time to go deep plenty of times yesterday, just because a deep pass was not completed doesn't mean it was because he didn't have time. There were a number of plays where he would go through his progressions and then still hit a 15-20 yard pass (4-5 seconds).
Looking at stats doesn't tell the whole story.

YardRat
09-24-2012, 02:51 PM
I have to disagree to some extent, teams are always going to try to have their QB get rid of the ball quicker, watch how quick Brees or Manning get rid of the ball. The average sack last season came around 2.8 seconds, there's plenty of times in the game where Fitz has the ball longer than 3 seconds, it's just not downfield passes that require time, Fitz plenty of times goes through his progressions, which takes time. I just went through the 1st half real quick and Fitz had 22 attempts and there were maybe 4 passes where he took a short drop and got rid of the ball quickly (around 2 seconds). Also not only are they not giving up sacks, but Fitz has only been hit 8 times, in 86 attempts, that's outstanding. As far as Pears being weak, I'm not so sure, they have rushed for 11 first downs over the right side, more than the left (6) and middle (4) combined. Obviously the coaching staff has the confidence to rush on he right, so Pears must be doing something good. This may become the best line ever for the Bills, which would be saying a lot (I know it's early).

The best thing about having "Game Rewind," is you can go back over the game and see things, such as how dominant the offensive line really played. Although the best thing has been watching Spiller run and the blocking downfield by the linemen. On Spiller's TD yesterday, Urbik made a block downfield that took out two defenders, springing Spiller for the last 10 yards.

And this is why stats can be misleading, depending on which ones you use and how they are presented. Coach Sal apparently some other numbers that would support my comments...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/214221-Stats-for-each-Bills-OL-in-run-game

Left Tackle (primarily behind Cordy Glenn)
Runs: 11
Avg. gain: 8.91 yards
NFL Rank: 1st

Left Guard (primarily behind Andy Levitre)
Runs: 12
Avg. gain: 7.33 yards

Center (primarily behind Eric Wood)
Runs: 24
Avg. gain: 8.38 yards
NFL Rank: 2nd

Right Guard (primarily behind Kraig Urbik)
Runs: 18
Avg. gain: 3.67 yards
NFL Rank: 13th

Right Tackle (primarily Erik Pears)
Avg. gain: 4.18 yards
NFL Rank: 15th

kishoph
09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
And this is why stats can be misleading, depending on which ones you use and how they are presented. Coach Sal apparently some other numbers that would support my comments...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/214221-Stats-for-each-Bills-OL-in-run-game

Left Tackle (primarily behind Cordy Glenn)
Avg. gain: 8.91 yards

Left Guard (primarily behind Andy Levitre)
Runs: 12
Avg. gain: 7.33 yards

Center (primarily behind Eric Wood)
Runs: 24
Avg. gain: 8.38 yards
NFL Rank: 2nd

Right Guard (primarily behind Kraig Urbik)
Runs: 18
Avg. gain: 3.67 yards
NFL Rank: 13th

Right Tackle (primarily Erik Pears)
Avg. gain: 4.18 yards
NFL Rank: 15th

They do just the opposite of supporting your comment, you said Pears was weak, they're averaging 4.18 ypc running behind Pears, that's far from weak. I didn't mean to imply that Pears and Urbik were doing better than Glenn and Levitre, but that Pears is doing a good job and good enough that they're not shying away from running to the right. As far as Glenn and Levitre go, it's evident watching the games how dominant they are, and they've only played 3 games together. There's not a weak spot on the line. I think this is by far the best line we've had in a long time, there's no need to tear it down or look for weak spots, right now there isn't any. Bills fans are so used to losing that they always think that it's a fluke or look for an excuse (playing ****ty teams) if things are looking good. Bills fans have become jaded, they're winning, enjoy it.

TigerJ
09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
He was never touched, to me it didn't even look like a fumble. Yeah, I think that was one of the worst calls of the day, and it wasn't even made on the field. The fumble was called by the replay booth.

YardRat
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
They do just the opposite of supporting your comment, you said Pears was weak, they're averaging 4.18 ypc running behind Pears, that's far from weak. I didn't mean to imply that Pears and Urbik were doing better than Glenn and Levitre, but that Pears is doing a good job and good enough that they're not shying away from running to the right. As far as Glenn and Levitre go, it's evident watching the games how dominant they are, and they've only played 3 games together. There's not a weak spot on the line. I think this is by far the best line we've had in a long time, there's no need to tear it down or look for weak spots, right now there isn't any. Bills fans are so used to losing that they always think that it's a fluke or look for an excuse (playing ****ty teams) if things are looking good. Bills fans have become jaded, they're winning, enjoy it.

They could put Mike Williams back in there and not 'shy away' from running to the right, that would be just poor strategy. Stats aside, Pears is obviously the weak link of the line, and he still struggles against speed and strength. That being said, if the oline continues with those averages (which admittedly will be difficult to sustain over the full season), I'll be more than happy with the line play overall as a unit.

kishoph
09-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Yard Rat, here's a link that does support you claim about Pears, I haven't really seen it, maybe I'm not taking into account that Urbik may be carrying him, or going on his past play, but I have no problem in admitting when I'm "wrong," sort of. Still overall the lines are doing a great job and the more time they get playing together, the better they'll get. One thing that really bothers me is why is Marcell Dareus only in for 66% of the snaps and Kyle Williams in for 68% of the snaps. I know they need a breather here and there, but they need to be on the field more. I don't know if it's Gailey or Wannstedt in charge of the rotataion, but I don't like it.

http://wgr550.com/Buscaglia--Upon-Further-Review--Bills-OL---DL-vs-B/14335661