X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Adventures in officiating, Week 3

I know harping on the officiating has been done to death, but in looking over the results of the games today I am just appalled

Cowboys/Bucs

One of the side judges apparently decides that Ogletree has run out of bounds (replays showed he clearly didn't). Rather than signaling by dropping his hat, he throws it right in Ogletree's path, causing him to slip on a crucial 3rd down play while he was wide open in the endzone. Romo sails the pass right where he would have been otherwise.

Redskins/Bengals

With :07 left in the game, down by 7, Washington has the ball on Cincy's 34. Fred Davis gets called for a false start. The ref announces that this penalty requires a 10 second runoff, and declares the end of the game (to my knowledge, this is correct). Cincy starts to head to the locker room. Kyle Shanahan comes storming out, convinces the ref he was wrong, and gets the time put back on the clock, but gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct even though the ref agreed with him. Then the refs mark off 25 yards for 20 yards worth of penalties.

49ers/Vikings

On pure chutzpah, Jim Harbaugh manages to talk the refs into giving him two challenges after he used his final timeout, and by rule should have none. The refs also flag San Francisco for an illegal block while they were kicking off - a penalty which doesn't exist.

Steelers/Raiders

One of the most flagrant headshots I've ever seen, directly in front of a ref. No flag.

And I'm not even touching the craziness on SNF. Goodell needs to get the refs union on the phone immediately, this entire season is turning into a fiasco.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!
  • cookie G
    • Mar 2003

Re: Adventures in officiating, Week 3

They put the end of that game on here. I'm pretty sure it was Mundy had another helmet to helmet towards the end of the game. It wasn't called either. Luckily, no one was hurt.

Sooner or later, the rule is going to have to sink in.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

I've yet to see a conclusive angle that shows the Ravens FG at the end of that game last night was actually good.

It's possible that these refs directly affected the outcome of an NFL game.

That to me is appalling. Even if it was the Pats that got screwed.

Comment

• Syderick
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
        I've yet to see a conclusive angle that shows the Ravens FG at the end of that game last night was actually good.

It looked in to me, as well as many others. Now it wasn't the greatest kick but it did sneak in.
        3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by syd1364 View Post
          It looked in to me, as well as many others. Now it wasn't the greatest kick but it did sneak in.
          I'm not saying it missed but I haven't definitively saw an angle that it was good. However those guys are right under the uprights so there theoretically is no reason they could blow that call.

It's like the 1986 AFC Championship game, still don't know if Karlis made that kick in OT but it is what it is and ancient history.

Neither of the two aforementioned kicks would have surprised me if they were called no good, basically.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
            • Apr 2004

The best angle on the field goal is from underneath. Only the ref had it.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

In the Det Tenn game, the refs assessed a 27 yard penalty on a helmet to helmet hit. It's supposed to be 15 yards, of course, but they ended up giving Tennessee an extra 12 yards because they marked it off from the wrong 44 yard line.

Comment

• Syderick
                • Apr 2006

Gameday Final discuss the controversy over the SNF refs:

3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

It's really getting bad. I'm not a fan of the regular referees, but they look like God-sends to us now. Depressing and I do feel bad for the replacement referees but this will soon get out of control. The regulars are laying back and smirking at the circus waiting for Goodel to fold.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Bulldog
                    Top Dog
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by syd1364 View Post
                    Gameday Final discuss the controversy over the SNF refs:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-englan...content_stream
                    I love all the Pats fans crying about the officiating below that video. After a decade plus of having most of the pivotal calls go in your favor, it must really suck to be them. Couldn't have happened to a better bunch of a-holes!
                    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

If the Pats don't win, they have to complain about something. I think we need to thump them this week & set no doubt about them sucking.

Comment

• ICRockets
                        Childish Fake Voter
                        • Jul 2008

2 horrendous calls on instant replay, too. The ball clearly hit the ground on a catch they gave to Anthony Fasano in the Dolphins game, and there was a catch they somehow ruled incomplete in the Titans game even though there was absolutely nothing to indicate the ball hit the ground. The replays quite clearly show it NOT hitting the ground, but the refs still managed to OVERTURN the call of a reception on the play.

With so many 1pm games going long yesterday, it also cut into ad revenue. The CBS affiliate I watched couldn't cut to commercial for 45 minutes. Hopefully some pressure from the networks gets things moving.

Comment

• mjt328
                          • May 2011

I agree. The officiating has been an absolute disaster.

What I find interesting though...
                          When the real refs were officiating games, it seemed like certain teams (Pittsburgh, New England) would always get the majority of favorable calls. At least the replacement refs seem to screw up equally.
                          And strangely (hmmm...) both of those teams are 1-2.

The Patriots can complain about last night's game, but they messed up LOTS of calls that favored both teams.
                          Sure, the field goal was close - but by NFL rule, it was not a reviewable play. Watching the replay, I think it looked good.
                          2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                          Posted During the 2013 Draft
                          1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                          2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                          2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                          3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                          4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                          5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                          6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                          7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                          1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                          2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                          2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                          3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                          4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                          5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                          6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                          7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                            I love all the Pats fans crying about the officiating below that video. After a decade plus of having most of the pivotal calls go in your favor, it must really suck to be them. Couldn't have happened to a better bunch of a-holes!
                            That's not true. Their fans never complain.

And this...after a game in which the Ravens were called for 60 yards more in penalties than the Pats.

Comment

• Gibby
                              Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post

meh, "just give it to em"

Comment

Working...
                              X