PDA

View Full Version : Rookie punter - how will the opposition play him?

stuckincincy
09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Well - you can't crush the snapper - league rules. I'd sacrifice some potential return yardage and pour in from the outside. My opposing line would be active, jumping in and out. Go after him.

Kid may have a lot of potential - but hasn't faced a regular game punt rush.

ServoBillieves
09-25-2012, 06:46 PM
I think the opposition will wait for him to punt and then try to run it back, or if one of our gunners gets to the returner, he will call for a fair catch.

stuckincincy
09-25-2012, 07:01 PM
I think the opposition will wait for him to punt and then try to run it back, or if one of our gunners gets to the returner, he will call for a fair catch.

That's kinda the norm. Were I calling the shots against a rookie with a key job like getting off a clean punt, I go for a block or a hurried punt. If the outside gunners scoot away and my outside rushers are untouched, it's a matter of a second or so to see if I get the punter. If I have to fair catch, or see it bounce, I don't care. That happens often enough as is.

If I'm in error, I don't lose that much. If I'm right...

jimmifli
09-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I expected this thread to be satire, given the overreaction surrounding a punters release. Nope.

Jaybird
09-25-2012, 07:08 PM
game plan will really need to change

stuckincincy
09-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I expected this thread to be satire, given the overreaction surrounding a punters release. Nope.

No satire! A team fielding a rookie punter is a notable thing. Special team good/bad play is a big factor. Clubs routinely target rookies. Powell surely can't recognize line blocking stances etc. like an old vet can.

Goobylal
09-25-2012, 07:19 PM
I think they're going to call his nasty names and try to make him cry. Maybe give him a wedgie.

zone
09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Hopefully they pull some double sessions this week and have a second practice all dedicated to punts.

YardRat
09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Teddy Bruschi is going to come out of retirement and play the 'spy' on Powell.

stuckincincy
09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Hopefully they pull some double sessions this week and have a second practice all dedicated to punts.
Yep - they have to. If the CBA allows such, of course... :tap:

jdaltroy5
09-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Did you watch the game last year?

I don't think there will be much punting.

Skooby
09-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Why? Has the guy never punted before?

YardRat
09-25-2012, 08:07 PM
BB has a mole inside the Bills practices with a video camera. It's been awhile since he got caught the first time, but figures this move is so huge it's worth the risk to get some intel.

BillsOwnAll
09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
I mean its his first NFL punt..Its not his first lifetime punt. Puntings probbally the only thing that doesnt change much from high school to the pros haha....The defense is better yes..but so is your protection and center lol. what do you think punters do at practice all week....?

jimmifli
09-25-2012, 09:00 PM
No satire! A team fielding a rookie punter is a notable thing. Special team good/bad play is a big factor. Clubs routinely target rookies. Powell surely can't recognize line blocking stances etc. like an old vet can.
The needle is now pointing decidedly towards satire. Well done sir!

BertSquirtgum
09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Well - you can't crush the snapper - league rules. I'd sacrifice some potential return yardage and pour in from the outside. My opposing line would be active, jumping in and out. Go after him.

Kid may have a lot of potential - but hasn't faced a regular game punt rush.

This post is a ******.

Mahdi
09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I think we need to just accept that this team will be built around Powell now and not Moorman. Moorman had his time... Go Bills!

TigerJ
09-26-2012, 10:32 AM
I think of all the positions in football, the identity of the punter, whether is a rookie or a grizzled veteran has less influence on the other team's strategy than any other position. As a punter, Powell knows he has just so much time to get the ball off. If the other team wants to rush the punter, they will do the best to get to him no matter who it is. It depends more on the situation, whether they rush the punter or concentrate on the return.

THRILLHO
09-26-2012, 11:09 AM
I think he should run a fake on his first punt.

Or lets just bring him out as QB on the first play. Really mess with BB's head!

stuckincincy
09-26-2012, 11:15 AM

:jig:

I like it - he's a pretty big guy...240 Lb+ IIRC.

DraftBoy
09-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Pretty simple I think, his very first punt you bring the house and see what happens. Same thing you do with young QB's get aggressive and get after them and see if you can't rattle them.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Pretty simple I think, his very first punt you bring the house and see what happens. Same thing you do with young QB's get aggressive and get after them and see if you can't rattle them.

Exactly. If you can make him shank a few by bringing the house, then it could pay off all day in jitters.

I think we need to just accept that this team will be built around Powell now and not Moorman. Moorman had his time... Go Bills!

I laughed at the idea of the Bills being built around a punter but cried when I realized how true it was for the last 10 years.

stuckincincy
09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Exactly. If you can make him shank a few by bringing the house, then it could pay off all day in jitters.

Yup. Which is why I posted this thread. Going after rookies or replacement starters is Football 101.

YardRat
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Belicheck will stack the line with 10 guys, all standing up and facing backwards toward the returner in hopes of confusing Powell and fooling him into turning around and kicking the ball in the wrong direction.

Ground Chuck
09-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I would run a fake with the rookie punter. They would never expect it

jamze132
09-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I would expect the defense to run a punt catcher out there...

kishoph
09-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Just a wild guess, but he probably has faced a rush before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zNm7Aisv0I

DraftBoy
09-28-2012, 11:17 AM

And Rookie QB's have seen blitzes and coverages before but that doesn't necessairly make them well equipped NFL speed.

kishoph
09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
And Rookie QB's have seen blitzes and coverages before but that doesn't necessairly make them well equipped NFL speed.

Apples and Oranges.

DraftBoy
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Apples and Oranges.

Not entirely, every rookie has a learning curve they have to adjust to.

Bill Cody
09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
If the coaching staff is spending 1 second worrying about Powell shanking punts because he's nervous about a rush we should have never cut Moorman

OpIv37
09-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Go Wildcat with Potter and Powell in the backfield. Since they're both rookies, we can have Lindell line up as a WR for some veteran experience. Bellicheck won't know if we're going to pooch punt, quickly set up for a surprise field goal, or run an actual play. Hell, the Bills would be stupid to NOT do this.

delectrolux
09-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Wow, Brad Smith doesn't look anything like I thought he would...

kishoph
09-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Not entirely, every rookie has a learning curve they have to adjust to.

I don't mean to downplay the adjustments that a rookie has to go through coming into the NFL, but punting has probably the least difference between college and pro. I'm really not concerned about Powell having trouble getting his punts off, first, the Bills have always done a decent job with protection on punts, next with his ability to boom a punt, teams might choose to set up for a return to get some yards back and Powell seems like a pretty tough kid, I don't think he'll be easily intimidated. Of course anything can happen, but I'd be more concerned about him being nervous and shanking one, more than having it blocked.

Here's another Powell video, when the Bills first picked him up, there was video of some of the hits he has made covering punts (he has made some big hits), but I can't find them anywhere.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/Shawn-Powell-on-his-punting-style-Notre-Dame-1101118

BertSquirtgum
09-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Catch ball, kick the **** out of it. Not that hard.