PDA

View Full Version : Controversy brewing, Jackson vs. Spiller, who should start?

X-Era
09-26-2012, 06:09 AM
It's going to be very interesting to watch what the Bills do at starting RB in the next few weeks as both Jackson and Spiller come of injuries.

In the preseason it really looked to me like Freddie lost a step. He looks a bit slower than last year. And when CJ took over after Freddy's injury, he exploded on the scene. His numbers are ridiculous. CJ looks really good, it's tough to bench a guy who looks so dynamic. And, we ultimately want to know if he can be an every down workhorse and be productive week in and week out. To find that out, we need to play him. Freddy, on the other hand, is a much more known commodity. We know we can count on Freddy to put up 1K on the ground and be a receiving threat as well. It's a tough choice IMO to figure out who to start at this point.

Both will be back soon from injury. What should the Bills do?

My choice would probably be to make Spiller the starter and see if he can keep it up over multiple weeks. If Spiller looks like he can be your #1 workhorse we can either keep Freddy at starter pay as a backup, and that may be smart, or trade Freddy. And of course Spiller has value at this point on the trade market as well.

What would you do? Take your pick.

Extremebillsfan247
09-26-2012, 06:25 AM
It was hard for me to vote in this one because there are variables to consider when making the decision, and aren't quite as cut and dry as the options available in the poll. Who is the healthier of the 2? who is having the better game right now? why can't you start both, having one of them always in the slot? Both are exceptional receivers for running backs. Spiller is the quicker of the 2, but Jackson's experience is invaluable to Fitzpatrick.

You absolutely can not trade either one of them without risking the chance that the one you keep gets injured, putting the team's running game in a massive bind. Choice is good as a fill in, but you wouldn't want to go a whole season with him as your feature back if Spiller, or Jackson went to IR. These 2 work well together. A good chemistry between running backs can be difficult to build. I think they should be starter A and starter B. In that way, you go with the hot hand, and are always putting up big numbers in the running game. I voted Jackson because the option of starter A and starter B was not available. JMO

Don't Panic
09-26-2012, 06:56 AM
I like the idea of Freddie "starting" at halfback and Spiller being out there as a gadget back in the beginning, then transitioning to a heavier load for CJ in the 2nd and 3rd quarter as the D wears down and the chance to break a big play increases. If we're protecting a lead in the 4th, go back to a fresh Freddie to finish them off. I still think we get get each guy 20 touches a game without neglecting the receivers.

alnilla
09-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Both of them....Chan needs to find a way to have both of them on the field at all times. It will be a headache for the defenses.

DraftBoy
09-26-2012, 07:16 AM
I think that you'll see Freddy take up a large chunk of CJ's former carries. Gailey is a very loyal coach to his players (at GT that became a fault) he has yet to show the ability to run a properly balanced backfield and seems more inclined to split CJ out then give him direct carries.

gebobs
09-26-2012, 07:30 AM
They will platoon. Does it really matter who starts?

The King
09-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Its a two back league. You give them equal carries until someone breaks loose, each back will match-up well against certain teams, you don't need a concrete gameplan.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I think that you'll see Freddy take up a large chunk of CJ's former carries. Gailey is a very loyal coach to his players (at GT that became a fault) he has yet to show the ability to run a properly balanced backfield and seems more inclined to split CJ out then give him direct carries.

He has not shown that here.

Hangartner. Cornell Green. Moorman. McKelvin. Trent.Dwan Edwards.

He and this regime are not afraid to make a change

jdaltroy5
09-26-2012, 07:50 AM
CJ is a game breaker and a special player. Go with the hot hand and keep giving the rock to CJ.

I still like Fred and I would continue to use him on third and short though. He's one of the best I've seen at getting those few extra yards every time.

5-10 touches for Fred, 15-10 touches for CJ.

DraftBoy
09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
He has not shown that here.

Hangartner. Cornell Green. Moorman. McKelvin. Trent.Dwan Edwards.

He and this regime are not afraid to make a change

Not really sure its one in the same and McKelvin is still our third CB and primary kick returner. Green and Trent were atrocious and Dwan was no longer a sheme fit.

Either way my bigger concern would be our issues thus far giving both backs a decent amount of carries.

Bulldog
09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
I'll go on record as saying that there's no way in hell Gailey is giving a "large chunk" of CJ's carries to Freddy once both are healthy. Yeah, let's pull the leagues leading rusher and put him on the bench to feed carries to a 31 year old back coming off a major injury. This isn't rocket science here. With an offense that's basically null and void of playmakers, CJ needs to be on the field as much as possible. Freddy will definitely get his touches, but CJ will continue to be the focal point of the offense as he's been thus far this season.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-26-2012, 08:38 AM
I'll let Deion Sanders say it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhnMiB_Dro

TedMock
09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
CJ is so explosive. Personally, it would be very difficult to limit his carries. The good news is he's only been getting about 15 carries per anyway. Jackson is a great back in his own right, but he's certainly not as dynamic as CJ, and that is no knock on Jackson at all. Jackson is also 31, but still in great shape. I don't buy the argument that he has less wear and tear either. He did play arena and NFLE ball before making it in the NFL. Plus, the human body just is not the same in the 30's as it is in the 20's. It is what it is. If anything, I would keep CJ at around 15 carries and platoon Jackson for 10 or 12. Maybe use Jackson more to grind out games late as well. This could be great for the team as well as for Jackson. Why not prolong your career with actual quality carries? The OL is playing really well and they will give you the holes. You just have to stay fresh and healthy. Choice came in and had 91 yards, White ran for 9 yards on his first carry. The line is plaing with great confidence and the RB's should welcome the greater production with limited mileage. Easier said than done though. These guys are hyper-competitive and want the rock. Chan needs to make the sale.

Figster
09-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Its a two back league. You give them equal carries until someone breaks loose, each back will match-up well against certain teams, you don't need a concrete gameplan.

what he said :rain:

Jan Reimers
09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
What a great dilemma for the Bills! With an inconsistent Fitz and our limited receivers, they will both get plenty of work. Let's not turn this into another controversy, which is so typical of this board.

justasportsfan
09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
what a great problem to have.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Not really sure its one in the same and McKelvin is still our third CB and primary kick returner. Green and Trent were atrocious and Dwan was no longer a sheme fit.

Either way my bigger concern would be our issues thus far giving both backs a decent amount of carries.

McKelvin is the the 5th corner - McGee is 3rd and Rogers is the slot guy.

Mouldsie
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
You start them both. If you have to pick a "starter" I say give it to Freddie, he's earned that right.

Either way they should each get 15 touches a game and the extra 5 going to the hotter hand.

DraftBoy
09-26-2012, 09:36 AM
McKelvin is the the 5th corner - McGee is 3rd and Rogers is the slot guy.

My apologies I havent seen many of the games this season. My point however remains the same Im not sure the above examples fit. Jackson doesn't suck and was just extended also was named the starter coming into this year.

The most carries Spiller has seen when both backs are healthy is 9 and that was in 2010. Last year he never saw more than 5 carries in any game before Jackson got hurt. I'd love to see us handle a well balanced attack and Im not sure its a coaching issue necessairly either.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
CJ at halfback, FJax at WR and in other downs and distances FJax at halfback and CJ at WR. Both run well and catch well, FJax is somewhat better it seems to me at least at pass blocking. Both should be on the field at the same time.

DMBcrew36
09-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Right now, there is no controversy. It is whoever is more healthy.

Ed
09-26-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm not a fan of trading either. The fact that both are hurting right now is more than enough reason to keep both. I just don't think it's realistic these days to expect any RB to carry a full load and make it through a whole season without getting banged up. Plus, I think Fred's salary is very reasonable/manageable for what he brings even if he's not the starter/workhorse that he was last year. I don't think it should be that hard to find a balance between the two if we just run the ball more. Maybe it just depends on the week and the defense we're facing, but I'd like to see CJ continue to get at least 15 carries a game and get Fred at least 10 too. I expect to see both on the field together a lot though. That could really cause some problems for defenses and they won't have any film on that yet.

HAMMER
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
You have no reason to trade either player, that's just a silly assertion. Spiller is faster, speed kills, he is learning how to block which was a huge liability. Sorry FJax but you've been Wally Pipp'd, and this comes from a HUGE FJax fan.

mysticsoto
09-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Right now I wouldn't trade either. I'd keep both and my strategy would be to use FJ on 1st and 3rd quarters and CJ on 2nd and 4th quarters. My reasoning? FJ is the more elusive type and will have defenders chasing him and tiring themselves out. Then in comes Spiller and after getting tired by FJ now have to deal w/a speedster than can blow by them even when they are fresh. And it keeps both of our RBs fresh also...

justasportsfan
09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
no trade

RedEyE
09-26-2012, 10:52 AM
There were a lot of Proset (split)back formations in the Jets game before Freddy went down. If both are healthy enough to premier, I could see them using this more and really nickel and diming the Patsies. Chan can run and pass from this formation and Freddy and CJ would be lucratively destructive.

Fitz reads a good defense with the best of them; make the audible and determine the play at the LOS. Both pass block exceptionally well...leave one back to block, send the other in a wheel route to mismatch with the LB. And as well as the OLine run blocks, on run plays Dive to the weak side. As safeties start to cheat up, send Stevie long to stretch the field with the one-on-one as proper execution sets up the play action pass.

Scumbag College
09-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I think you have to have Fred and CJ in on offense at the same time when both are healthy as much as possible. It creates matchup problems for opposing defenses. Especially with Chandler at TE who's become a legitimate threat as a receiver. The best five skill position offensive players on the Bills are CJ, Fred, Chandler, Stevie, and Donald Jones and ideally this should be the lineup as often as possible out there.

If the defense wants to go with a standard 3-4 or 4-3, then the Bills can throw and you'll have to cover Fred, CJ, and Chandler with linebackers or leave Jones and Stevie 1-1 with a CB if you cover RBs and CBs with safeties. If they bring in nickel or dime DBs, Fitz can check down into a run and that leaves Chandler and the OL matched up against DBs.

RedEyE
09-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Looking long term FJ is getting long in the tooth and would be the obvious choice to play the back-up role. But current standing, with Fitz as QB, I see no reason to trade either back.

PTI
09-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Um, CJ, easy. Love Freddy, but CJ is a home run hitter. Freddy on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2.

Historian
09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
100 yards.

In thye parking lot at the stsdium.

Whoever reaches the finish line in their wheelchair first gets to start!

X-Era
09-26-2012, 03:10 PM
PFT is saying both may be available this week:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/26/spiller-could-return-to-practice-this-week/

As per BB.com interviews from Spiller and Jackson both are possibilities.

It's interesting that both are so quick to heal up to try to go. I think they see the job is right there to take. Spiller has shown enough to earn the start but not enough to have locked the start up. Freddy may see that if he doesn't get in quick and take the starting job back he may never get the chance again.

BillsFever21
09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
You have to start Spiller. He is younger and has been a game breaker. Jackson is also good but doesn't have the same big play ability as Spiller plus Spiller is the future of the team. You need to let him get the experience of playing with everyone else. He is the player you will be building the offense around for the future.

trapezeus
09-26-2012, 03:35 PM
i think the choice is "whoever is healthy". if CJ wasn't hurt, i'd have no problem rolling him another week to buy time for a healthy Freddie. And vice versa, if CJ is back next week and says, "it's like nothing happened" and fred says, "it doesn't feel great but i can go." I would love it as a coach.

I want a run game in December and January. and if the backs seem able to know the goal is to win in the playoffs and superbowl, they should look at the chance to get rest during the season a huge boon.

hopefully both these guys feel great next week because those next two games complete a tough 3 game break. if they somehow end up 2-1, that'd be magical and have them poised for 8 wins in the season. but alas, i am getting ahead of myself.

casdhf
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I like Freddie Fourth Quarter.