PDA

View Full Version : Cordy Glenn: Thriving Rookie

Ed
09-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Here's an article from nfl.com about rookies that have looked good and some higher picks that are struggling. Here's what it says about Glenn:

Cordy Glenn, T, Buffalo Bills
Glenn, a second-round draft pick, has started all three games despite playing a very difficult position for a rookie. A giant of a man who's also very light-footed, he moves like a point guard. Glenn has done a lot to help Buffalo rank third in the NFL in rushing; he really stood out against Kansas City in Week 2. If the draft were to take place today, I think Glenn would probably be taken much higher.
It's nice to see Glenn getting some recognition. I think what's most interesting about the article though, is the list of underachievers. All five players were discussed a lot on here as potential picks for the Bills that fans wanted. The list includes:

OT Mike Adams
WR Justin Blackmon
WR Michael Floyd
WR Brian Quick
OT Riley Reiff

I know it's only been 3 weeks, but just interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066450/article/among-rookies-justin-blackmon-down-luke-kuechly-up?module=HP11_content_stream

stuckincincy
09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Here's an article from nfl.com about rookies that have looked good and some higher picks that are struggling. Here's what it says about Glenn:

It's nice to see Glenn getting some recognition. I think what's most interesting about the article though, is the list of underachievers. All five players were discussed a lot on here as potential picks for the Bills that fans wanted. The list includes:

OT Mike Adams
WR Justin Blackmon
WR Michael Floyd
WR Brian Quick
OT Riley Reiff

I know it's only been 3 weeks, but just interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066450/article/among-rookies-justin-blackmon-down-luke-kuechly-up?module=HP11_content_stream

Thanks for the link. I had my doubts about him filling the bill at LT, but so far - very good.

ThunderGun
09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I think what's most interesting about the article though, is the list of underachievers. All five players were discussed a lot on here as potential picks for the Bills that fans wanted. The list includes: OT Mike Adams WR Justin Blackmon WR Michael Floyd WR Brian Quick OT Riley Reiff Yeah, I really wanted Floyd or Blackmon, and I do still think that they fact that they are underachieving has more to do with their QB than with them. I wanted Adams also, but I definitely did NOT want Reiff.

Ed
09-26-2012, 02:48 PM
OT Jonathan Martin is also mentioned in the article as another rookie that hasn't looked very good.

Trample
09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Many people were originally calling for Glenn to go in the first round. Mostly in the teens and early 20s.

kingJofNYC
09-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Russ Lande was a big Glenn fan, loved him.

He hated Bruce Irvin though. Scouting is like baseball, being right 30% of the time is considered successful.

Buffalogic
09-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Blackmon is being gabberted hard. Floyd had a td against the eagles on sunday and Reiff just like Bulaga is average but overrated based on the school (Iowa) he played for and their history of churning out NFL linemen.

YardRat
09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Glenn has been playing very well...pleasantly surprised, I am.

mjt328
09-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I think most of the people on this board liked the Cordy Glenn pick more than Stephon Gilmore. There probably would have been very few complaints if we had taken him in the 1st round. We definitely got a steal in the 2nd.

Looking at some of the other "thriving" rookies:
> A lot of Bills fans were crossing their fingers that Luke Kuechly would fall one more spot. I still think he will be the best defensive player to come out of this draft.
> Alshon Jeffery was another popular choice for us in the 2nd round. I'm not surprised to see him playing well. I am surprised to see Blackmon and Floyd playing so poorly.

YardRat
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
If they would have bypassed Gilmore for Glenn in the first, I would have been a little bit pissed. Glad he dropped to us in the second, though, for sure.

stuckincincy
09-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I think most of the people on this board liked the Cordy Glenn pick more than Stephon Gilmore. There probably would have been very few complaints if we had taken him in the 1st round. We definitely got a steal in the 2nd.

Looking at some of the other "thriving" rookies:
> A lot of Bills fans were crossing their fingers that Luke Kuechly would fall one more spot. I still think he will be the best defensive player to come out of this draft.
> Alshon Jeffery was another popular choice for us in the 2nd round. I'm not surprised to see him playing well. I am surprised to see Blackmon and Floyd playing so poorly.

I'm not surprised about those two wrs being slow out of the gate. I saw them now and then in their college games. To me, they had a smarmy attitude about them.

YardRat
09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211715-Who-do-you-want-at-41

jimmifli
09-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Getting Glenn in the second was unreal, it really shouldn't have happened. Even if you believed he'd be a guard, he'd still be the second best guard prospect with a good chance he developed into a right tackle, that has to be a first round pick. It turns out that was underestimating him.

My dream draft would have been Keuchly, Glenn/DeCastro although I figured we'd have to trade back into round 1 to get them.

TigerJ
09-26-2012, 05:30 PM
It is interesting that among the "pundits" who downgraded Glenn or cited him as a guard always talked about his feet being too slow. The article in contrast talks about him as light footed and having good movement (like a point guard). It almost makes you wonder if they were scouting the same player. I guess that's why Nix is a GM and hired the scouts he did, and why the naysayers are on the outside looking in.

Mouldsie
09-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I loved Gilmore from day 1. I wanted Stephen Hill in round 2 because I have a thing for physical freaks at WR but had no problems with Glenn.

Where I want to see the long term results play out is in TJ Graham vs Russel Wilson in round 3.

stuckincincy
09-26-2012, 05:41 PM
It is interesting that among the "pundits" who downgraded Glenn or cited him as a guard always talked about his feet being too slow. The article in contrast talks about him as light footed and having good movement (like a point guard). It almost makes you wonder if they were scouting the same player. I guess that's why Nix is a GM and hired the scouts he did, and why the naysayers are on the outside looking in.

Well, it's early days. BUF played a NYJ club that many here ridiculed but they got clobbered by them, and a KC and CLE club that disappointed last season.

more cowbell
09-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Mike Williams looked good his first few games in the league as well. Granted he was a high pick and a RT, but I'm just saying its been only three weeks. So far, I have been very encouraged with Cordy though...I never expected a man of his size to be as quick. Was very happy when we drafted him...hope he turns out to be a long-term starter at LT.

stuckincincy
09-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Mike Williams looked good his first few games in the league as well. Granted he was a high pick and a RT, but I'm just saying its Been only three weeks. So far, I have been very encouraged with Cordy though...I never expected a man of his size to be as quick. Was very happy when we drafted him...hope he turns out to be a long-term starter at LT.

I'm pleased as well, but like Williams, Glenn has to pass the test of time.

I was shocked when BUF drafted Williams. I remember watching some of his TX college games, wondering when one of his toothpick-sized ankles would snap.

Ed
09-26-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211715-Who-do-you-want-at-41

Probably Hill, but I wouldn't mind Glenn, Jeffrey, or Brown.
It looks like Hill was my first choice, but I'm glad we got Glenn. I'm surprised how comfortable he's looked this early on. I definitely had my concerns during preseason.

OpIv37
09-26-2012, 08:43 PM
I will say this: aside from a couple of penalties, the announcers during the games haven't even mentioned Glenn. And that's exactly what you want from an offensive lineman.

It's only been 3 games so it's far too early to make any definitive judgment, but so far, so good.

stuckincincy
09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
I will say this: aside from a couple of penalties, the announcers during the games haven't even mentioned Glenn. And that's exactly what you want from an offensive lineman.

Yup, for sure. Good as it gets. :up:

cookie G
09-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Kinda nice when they use high draft picks on the oline for a change.

gebobs
09-26-2012, 09:21 PM
UGA baybee!

Goobylal
09-26-2012, 09:43 PM
If he keeps working hard, the sky's the limit for this kid. I just hope that he doesn't have a Jason Peter's size ego.

jamze132
09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Kiper was pretty adament that Glenn couldn't be successful at LT. Basically thought Nix was stupid for drafting him. Now who looks stupid? Granted its extremely early but...

Night Train
09-27-2012, 07:58 AM
I've been watching him closely.

His mechanics keep improving and he's far more athletic than most OT's. Just incredible, considering his size.

Looks like a steal of a pick in Round 2. At times, he just buries his man when he gets them off balance or sets him up. What's not to like ?

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2012, 08:58 AM
I loved Gilmore from day 1. I wanted Stephen Hill in round 2 because I have a thing for physical freaks at WR but had no problems with Glenn.

Where I want to see the long term results play out is in TJ Graham vs Russel Wilson in round 3. I think the majority of us were in that frame of mind with the 2nd pick before hand. We all had ideas of who we thought it should be, but not many would have been upset by Glenn being the pick including myself. We all knew the Bills were going to have to replace Demetrius Bell somehow. This draft was thought of as a way to accomplish that, and it appears the Bills did a great job at doing that.

CleveSteve
09-27-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm still flabbergasted he made it past 18. The guy has all the measureables you look for in an OT. I will say his athleticism is even better than I thought, and that's even after he blew the combine out of the water. Just a beast and a behemoth and I'm still as bitter today the my Browns took Schwartz over Glenn.:cry:

jimmifli
09-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Chandler Jones was giving Oher trouble last weekend. He should be a good test for how Glen deals with speed.

Goobylal
09-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Chandler Jones was giving Oher trouble last weekend. He should be a good test for how Glen deals with speed.
Oher isn't a LT. He's strictly a RT. I'm not surprised he struggled against Jones. But Glenn faces Mark Anderson, who is quicker and wilier than Jones.

jimmifli
09-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Oher isn't a LT. He's strictly a RT. I'm not surprised he struggled against Jones. But Glenn faces Mark Anderson, who is quicker and wilier than Jones.
Oher played left tackle all night on Sunday. Also I'm pretty sure Cordy won't be lining up agains Anderson on Sunday, at least I REALLY hope not.

Jones was getting to Flacco fairly often. It didn't show up on the stat sheet but he was getting pressure, Flacco was good at getting rid of the ball really quick.

Mouldsie
09-27-2012, 04:47 PM
CJ is a physical freak. He was one of the guys I wanted the Bills to consider in round 1..... but a lot of people thought that was crazy talk (he needed a lot of coaching). CB was a bigger need. Gilmore will be good IMO. Hopefully better than Jones for more than 1 reason!

better days
09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm still flabbergasted he made it past 18. The guy has all the measureables you look for in an OT. I will say his athleticism is even better than I thought, and that's even after he blew the combine out of the water. Just a beast and a behemoth and I'm still as bitter today the my Browns took Schwartz over Glenn.:cry:

And Riley Reiff a player many thought the Bills should draft, was picked # 23 by the Lions & is not playing well.

Goobylal
09-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Oher played left tackle all night on Sunday. Also I'm pretty sure Cordy won't be lining up agains Anderson on Sunday, at least I REALLY hope not.

Jones was getting to Flacco fairly often. It didn't show up on the stat sheet but he was getting pressure, Flacco was good at getting rid of the ball really quick.
Okay, let me try this again. Oher isn't a good LT. That's why they picked-up Bryant McKinnie last year and started him at LT, only putting Oher at LT this year because McKinnie is done.

And Glenn faces a better pass rusher in Mark Anderson in practice. Jones isn't a real concern.

Goobylal
09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Oher's getting abused by Frostee Rucker. Yes, who?