• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

Hard Hitter from New Mexico

Considered one of the finer run supporting strong safeties in the country, Siddeeq Shabazz now brings his talents to The Oakland Raiders. This graduate of Gadsden High School became the first New Mexico State football player taken in the NFL Draft since running back Chris Barnes in 2001. Picked 32nd in the seventh round of the 2003 NFL Draft, Shabazz brings a great combination of size, physicality, and pure speed to the safety position. "[He's a] big hit, buff-type player that can come down and play in the box and bring some physicality to the position," said Coach Callahan.
    This walk-on football player received the news of being drafted by The Oakland Raiders while at a family gathering. "That was probably the most excited I've ever been," said Shabazz. "I was confident that I was going to get drafted. It was very exciting for me and my family." It was also very exciting for his coach at New Mexico State Tony Samuel who has seen Shabazz's skills grow over the years. "He did it all at New Mexico State," said Samuel. "He took it from being a walk-on to being drafted in the NFL. He's a great kid. He is the true picture of getting the most out of what youve got."

Working...
X