PDA

View Full Version : LA City Council approves 1.1 billion football stadium proposal

Crisis
09-28-2012, 08:12 PM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Proposal-Downtown-Los-Angeles-Football-Stadium-Vote-AEG-NFL-City-Council-171817381.html

OpIv37
09-28-2012, 08:27 PM
it's not the nail in the coffin, but it's not a good development.

stuckincincy
09-28-2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Proposal-Downtown-Los-Angeles-Football-Stadium-Vote-AEG-NFL-City-Council-171817381.html

..."City Councilwoman Jan Perry, who chaired the meeting, asked how the city would be protected if the new owner did not have the cash to pay for AEG's promised contribution to the project. Under the terms of the deal worked out so far, the sports and entertainment company was supposed to pay for 40 percent of the multi-billion dollar cost of the proposed new stadium and surrounding development.

Perry expressed concern that the new owner might have to borrow too much money to finance the purchase, as frequently happens in corporate acquisitions.

In that case, the city could be on the hook for costs that could reach into hundreds of millions of dollars."...

Jeeze - that flat dead broke city and State shouldn't be thinking about such nonsense...

Bulldog
09-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Why do you act as though the Bills are the only option for relocation? They are one of about five potential suitors, two of which currently reside in CA.

OpIv37
09-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Why do you act as though the Bills are the only option for relocation? They are one of about five potential suitors, two of which currently reside in CA.

how many of those 5 have an owner with 1 foot in the grave and a family with no interest whatsoever in running the team? How many of those 5 have no stadium lease after 2012?

And btw, who are the 5? The short list was us, the Chargers, the Vikings, and Jacksonville. I guess you're throwing Oakland in there since you said 2 in CA. The Vikings got a stadium deal done so they're not going anywhere. Jacksonville has the most ironclad stadium lease in the history of sports. While that doesn't rule them out as an option, it sure as hell makes Buffalo a much more attractive option for relocation without the lease issue.

Realistically, it's just us, SD, and Oak.

And btw, did you even READ my post? I said it WASN'T the nail in the coffin- ie, I DIDN'T act like Buffalo was the only option for relocation. I know a lot of you have this preconceived notion that I'm always going to say the most pessimistic thing possible just because I'm not afraid to acknowledge the reality that people don't want to hear, but if you want to reply to my posts, please try actually reading and comprehending them first.

Skooby
09-28-2012, 09:11 PM
They're not building it because they don't plan on having a team there, it's just a matter of who and when.

BertSquirtgum
09-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Big ****ing deal. I live in in western new york and couldn't care less about what's happening in los angeles.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't mean **** to the Buffalo Bills or the fans of the Bills.

Mr. Miyagi
09-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Hello Los Angeles Chargers

Bulldog
09-29-2012, 06:08 AM
how many of those 5 have an owner with 1 foot in the grave and a family with no interest whatsoever in running the team? How many of those 5 have no stadium lease after 2012?

And btw, who are the 5? The short list was us, the Chargers, the Vikings, and Jacksonville. I guess you're throwing Oakland in there since you said 2 in CA. The Vikings got a stadium deal done so they're not going anywhere. Jacksonville has the most ironclad stadium lease in the history of sports. While that doesn't rule them out as an option, it sure as hell makes Buffalo a much more attractive option for relocation without the lease issue.

And btw, did you even READ my post? I said it WASN'T the nail in the coffin- ie, I DIDN'T act like Buffalo was the only option for relocation. I know a lot of you have this preconceived notion that I'm always going to say the most pessimistic thing possible just because I'm not afraid to acknowledge the reality that people don't want to hear, but if you want to reply to my posts, please try actually reading and comprehending them first.

I read your post, and its the same negative crap you spew on a regular basis. I'm not one of these "bury my head in the sand and pretend the possibility of relocation isn't a reality" type fans. I also don't need to be lectured by someone who thinks they are intellectually superior to everyone else on this board. Get off you high horse. I wonder if all the other teams that are a possibility for relocation have a bunch of chicken littles like you running are screaming the sky is falling on a regular basis. You act is old and tired.

Bulldog
09-29-2012, 06:13 AM

And to use the logic you use when discussing the Bills, why wouldn't we expect you to be negative when you've been that way for the last ten plus years? Whatever. Lecture away all might one.

Don't Panic
09-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm always going to say the most pessimistic thing possible just because

that may be the truest part of any sentence I've ever read on this site!

Generalissimus Gibby
09-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Aren't the Bills working with Erie County, and NY State officials to get 200 million in stadium renovations for the Ralph? I don't see the Bills moving to LA. I think it will be Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, or Jacksonville.

The last buffalo fan
09-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Aren't the Bills working with Erie County, and NY State officials to get 200 million in stadium renovations for the Ralph? I don't see the Bills moving to LA. I think it will be Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, or Jacksonville.

I'm not a USA, WNY, or a even a Buffalo native, and haven't follow the team for more than 35 years, but I pray for the Bills to stay in Buffalo, it will suck big time if they ever move. :pray:

Generalissimus Gibby
09-29-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not a USA, WNY, or a even a Buffalo native, and haven't follow the team for more than 35 years, but I pray for the Bills to stay in Buffalo, it will suck big time if they ever move. :pray:

I was born and raised, and live in Kansas City and only started following the Bills after the 1990 AFC Championship game where we destroyed the Raiders 51-3, but yeah if the Bills ever left Buffalo I would no longer follow the NFL.

Jeff1220
09-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Imo, the Chargers are the most likely team. They aren't very far away, which means that LA can still draw on some of their existing fan base. They only committed to another season last year, and their buyout in 2013 is only about 22 million (a fraction of a star player's contract). They've been trying to get a new stadium/deal for about a decade. And, LA Chargers definitely sounds better than LA Bills to me.

djjimkelly
09-29-2012, 10:38 AM
and i approved 3 super models to blow me last night.......... but it didnt happen

this means nothing they need a team it wont be the bills

more cowbell
09-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Chargers will move to LA...Qualcomm Stadium is an absolute sick joke and they have zero plans of upgrading it. All of the plans to build a new stadium in SD are non-existent. The part we need to still worry about is the Red Headed Slut Commissioner wants two teams in LA.

better days
09-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Chargers will move to LA...Qualcomm Stadium is an absolute sick joke and they have zero plans of upgrading it. All of the plans to build a new stadium in SD are non-existent. The part we need to still worry about is the Red Headed Slut Commissioner wants two teams in LA.

Well, IF, & it is a BIG IF a new stadium ever gets built in LA, I agree, the Chargers would be the likely team to move there. And to think LA should get two teams when they have not been able to support even one is ridiculous.

BertSquirtgum
09-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Two teams? Now that's a joke. Just like the new jersey giants and jets.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Great two teams that nobody will give a **** about. The only way pro football works in LA is if someone names the team the Lakers and the Trojans.

BillsWin
09-29-2012, 01:17 PM
The Bills aren't going anywhere. (I hope)

A new stadium on the water front could potentially bring in huge events, sustain a NFL team and stimulate the local tourism and economy.

I truly believe that if the Bills get their ownership situation squared away, a new stadium is inevitable which would lock the Bills in Buffalo for good.

I really do believe there are rich people out there who are open to keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Bulldog
09-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Of course there are. But it's a lot more fun to focus on the worst case scenario at all times. At least that's how it works for some on this board.

Night Train
09-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Queue the Monthly " We're Moving ! " panic...now in it's 24th year and counting..

OpIv37
09-29-2012, 02:12 PM
And to use the logic you use when discussing the Bills, why wouldn't we expect you to be negative when you've been that way for the last ten plus years? Whatever. Lecture away all might one.

Because I haven't been negative for 10 years. I've been realistic. When a team is as bad as the Bills, "negativity" is actually reality. So don't put this on me.

OpIv37
09-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Of course there are. But it's a lot more fun to focus on the worst case scenario at all times. At least that's how it works for some on this board.

Be it worst case or not, it's a possibility so it's worthy of discussion whether you like it or not.

BertSquirtgum
09-29-2012, 02:25 PM
It's not worth discussion because it's been discussed over and over and over and over. Now, it's just annoying every time someone brings it up.

Bulldog
09-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Be it worst case or not, it's a possibility so it's worthy of discussion whether you like it or not.

I know, it's so constructive to listen to you repeat your negative opinion over and over and over again. When the sledding gets tough, regardless if its Bills related or not, I'd bet money you're the first guy to jump ship. Pretty pathetic really.

OpIv37
09-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I know, it's so constructive to listen to you repeat your negative opinion over and over and over again. When the sledding gets tough, regardless if its Bills related or not, I'd bet money you're the first guy to jump ship. Pretty pathetic really.

Ah, ok, so, since you don't have a legitimate response to the fact that all I did was comment on a realistic possibility for the future of this team, you are trying to make it about me by using your opinion of my message board posts and extrapolating it to everything else in life. Classy, intelligent response.

OpIv37
09-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Queue the Monthly " We're Moving ! " panic...now in it's 24th year and counting..

well, the previous 24 years weren't the last year of a lease agreement. The previous 24 years didn't have Ralph in such poor health. The previous 24 years didn't have a brand new stadium in the works for a city much larger and wealthier than Buffalo. The reason this topic keeps coming up is because the situation keeps changing and there are often new developments on it.

Ralph has said he won't move the team while he is alive. I believe him, because if he was going to do it, he would have cashed in and done it years ago. But the key clause to that statement is "while he is alive." What happens after that? This team has never in its history had to undergo an ownership change, and we all know the first one is going to happen sooner rather than later. Until the stadium lease situation and the post-Ralph ownership situations are resolved, this is going to keep coming up because moving is a realistic possibility.

And for the record, no one in this thread is panicking. Everyone is simply throwing in their two cents about the possibilities of the team moving.

OpIv37
09-29-2012, 06:29 PM

"working with," not done. There are also many who question the wisdom of pouring so much money into a stadium that is 30 years old and near the end of its lifespan. And Jacksonville isn't moving. Google their stadium lease.

Bulldog
09-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Ah, ok, so, since you don't have a legitimate response to the fact that all I did was comment on a realistic possibility for the future of this team, you are trying to make it about me by using your opinion of my message board posts and extrapolating it to everything else in life. Classy, intelligent response.

Ah yes, maybe my posts would be much more intelligent if I used fancy words like extrapolate. It's highly unlikely that the Bills are the singular thing in your life that makes you negative and for the most part miserable. Must come to you naturally. As for the Bills and their long term viability in Buffalo, I'm not going to sweat a project that's in it's infant stages and is being financed by a company that's currently for sale. In addition to all that, it's pretty much a given that whoever finances the project will be going back to the city for additional funds. In the current economic climate, that's going to be a tough sell. We're talking in excess of $600,000,000 that the city would have to kick in. Good luck with that. But you keep worrying about it.

OpIv37
09-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Ah yes, maybe my posts would be much more intelligent if I used fancy words like extrapolate. It's highly unlikely that the Bills are the singular thing in your life that makes you negative and for the most part miserable. Must come to you naturally. As for the Bills and their long term viability in Buffalo, I'm not going to sweat a project that's in it's infant stages and is being financed by a company that's currently for sale. In addition to all that, it's pretty much a given that whoever finances the project will be going back to the city for additional funds. In the current economic climate, that's going to be a tough sell. We're talking in excess of $600,000,000 that the city would have to kick in. Good luck with that. But you keep worrying about it.

Sure, let's put people down for having the ability to properly use large words. WTF is this, Idiocracy?

The city council approved it. That's what the article is about. Yes, there are obstacles to the LA stadium, but it's moving forward or else this wouldn't have been in the news yesterday.

A stadium in LA means someone is moving. Any small step to making that stadium a reality should be a concern to the fans of any teams that are potential move candidates. And until we resolve the stadium lease and the post-Ralph ownership situations, then we are a candidate. It's that simple.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-30-2012, 07:58 AM
The Bills aren't going anywhere. (I hope)

A new stadium on the water front could potentially bring in huge events, sustain a NFL team and stimulate the local tourism and economy.

I truly believe that if the Bills get their ownership situation squared away, a new stadium is inevitable which would lock the Bills in Buffalo for good.

I really do believe there are rich people out there who are open to keeping the Bills in Buffalo.
Yeah, that's rich. A stadium on the waterfront. They can barely get anything developed on the waterfront; what makes anyone think that they're going to build a $1 billion stadium for one of the most financially challenged (and that's putting it politely) markets in the NFL?

Any NFL owner worth his weight is going to look at the situation here in Buffalo and realize that it makes no financial sense to keep this team here in the long term.

And what huge events would a new waterfront stadium bring, anyway? The Super Bowl isn't coming. The Olympics aren't coming. Bands don't use huge stadiums for their concerts anymore.

better days
09-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Because I haven't been negative for 10 years. I've been realistic. When a team is as bad as the Bills, "negativity" is actually reality. So don't put this on me.

To comment on past failures is reality. To project past failures as future failures is negativity. I would bet before last years Pats* at Bills game, you posted negative crap as you always do. Well, the Bills WON that game so those posts were not realistic, they were negative.

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 09:48 AM
To be clear its two teams in LA and the NFL still has interest in places like San Antonio where other professional leagues have been successful.

That all being said the Bills and Jags while the two most frequently mentioned relocation candidates are also two of the least likely imo.

coastal
09-30-2012, 09:54 AM
The Bills are going to catch-up to the hundreds of thousands of other intelligent WNY natives who decided to move out of the area.

OpIv37
09-30-2012, 09:55 AM
To comment on past failures is reality. To project past failures as future failures is negativity. I would bet before last years Pats* at Bills game, you posted negative crap as you always do. Well, the Bills WON that game so those posts were not realistic, they were negative.

ONE time out of how many? Please.

And projecting past failures to future failures is not negativity. There is no perfect indicator of future performance of sports. Past performances are the best indicator that we have, and have been pretty damn accurate for this team. The team is what it is until they prove differently.

YardRat
09-30-2012, 11:50 AM
ONE time out of how many? Please.

And projecting past failures to future failures is not negativity. There is no perfect indicator of future performance of sports. Past performances are the best indicator that we have, and have been pretty damn accurate for this team. The team is what it is until they prove differently.

One team out of 32 will the Super Bowl at the end of the year.
Mathematically speaking, each team has about a 3+ % chance every year.
Realistically, because of many tangible and measurable factors ,most teams aren't even going to get close.
Therefore, you have approximately a 99.9% chance of being right, every season, that the Bills suck.
Congratulations.