PDA

View Full Version : Geno Smith will be the future Bills QB

Cali512
09-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Hes exactly what Gailey wants in a QB. I have never been one to think about the draft this early, but no matter what happens, i see the bills doing all they can to get geno. He will be our future QB, mark my words!

stuckincincy
09-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Who is he? :surrender

SquishDaFish
09-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Soon to be Heisman Award winner

Cali512
09-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Who is he? :surrender

191.2 rating, 6-3, strong and accurate arm, fast

In 4 games has 18 TDs, 0 INTs, 84 rushing yds, 1562 yds, only 27 incompletions in 160 attempts

Theyve played Marshall, Baylor, and Maryland. So theyve played decent teams.

Buffalo Thriller
09-29-2012, 02:26 PM
He's decent.

Cali512
09-29-2012, 02:26 PM
He also runs the pistol. He has 8 TDs and counting. He just got done throwing another 60 yd td

Bangarang
09-29-2012, 02:29 PM
I would fully support doing what Washington did and giving up several picks to land this kid.

PcA125
09-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Im not sure if I am reading this right... Does he have 635 yards and 8 TDs right now against Baylor?

Slim
09-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I honestly haven't watched that much of Smith before today. He's made some great passes today, but dear lord the Baylor defense is awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Im not sure if I am reading this right... Does he have 635 yards and 8 TDs right now against Baylor?

Florence has been insane too. Craziest box score I can remember.

Slim
09-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Terrance Williams has been impressive.

Cali512
09-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Take one of the WRs from this game to!

IAG
09-29-2012, 03:26 PM
The Bills will picking in the 20's this year. No chance at the kid because the team is playoff-bound.

mrbojanglezs
09-29-2012, 03:34 PM
You have no way of knowing until draft position is set

Skooby
09-29-2012, 03:57 PM
We're drafting last during every round, so Goodluck moving up.

swiper
09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
191.2 rating, 6-3, strong and accurate arm, fast

In 4 games has 18 TDs, 0 INTs, 84 rushing yds, 1562 yds, only 27 incompletions in 160 attempts

Theyve played Marshall, Baylor, and Maryland. So theyve played decent teams.

LOL. Never going to happen.

Pat White Redux.

swiper
09-29-2012, 04:18 PM
He also runs the pistol. He has 8 TDs and counting. He just got done throwing another 60 yd td

:rofl:

Do the Bills run the pistol?

swiper
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/hesiman-trophy-candidate-geno-smith-throws-656-yards-touchdowns-9-west-virginia-70-63-win-25-baylor-article-1.1171115

Unfortunately the Baylor defense is not very much like the Baltimore Ravens defense.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM

We have several times.

swiper
09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/hesiman-trophy-candidate-geno-smith-throws-656-yards-touchdowns-9-west-virginia-70-63-win-25-baylor-article-1.1171115

Unfortunately the Baylor defense is not very much like the Baltimore Ravens defense.

Maybe today's performance will have some NFL team reach and over-draft him, that seems to be the trend. But good for the kid. It's not going to be the Bills. Buddy Nix knows you can't run that kind of offense in snow-blown Orchard Park Decembers.

Maybe the Eagles will look his way after they let Michael Vick get fully pounded into retirement.

billsfanryan
09-29-2012, 04:36 PM
I was telling my friend that Geno would be our next QB. My only worry is that he's a product of the system and won't be productive in the NFL.

swiper
09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
We have several times.

Just as many fans pointed out that we shouldn't read too much into the poor performances many Bills players had week #1, it's also the case in a game such as this:

It also marked the most points scored in a game involving a team ranked in The Associated Press poll. The previous record of 124 was set in No. 12 Oklahoma’s 82-42 win over Colorado in 1980.

The combined 19 touchdowns tied an FBS mark, last reached when Navy beat North Texas 74-62 in 2007. That matchup set the FBS record for most points in a regulation game at 136.

Baylor also tied an FBS mark for the most points scored by a losing team.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/hesiman-trophy-candidate-geno-smith-throws-656-yards-touchdowns-9-west-virginia-70-63-win-25-baylor-article-1.1171115#ixzz27thwWZFu

swiper
09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I was telling my friend that Geno would be our next QB. My only worry is that he's a product of the system and won't be productive in the NFL.

Remember Alex Tanney? The Bills brought in as an undrafted QB try-out who could make all those precision throws on You-Tube?

Remember that kid from out west who had more wins than any other QB in college history (Kellen Moore: 50-3)? He's the Lions 3rd stringer. Doubt he ever goes past that.

Maybe this guy is better. But there is a huge adjustment to the NFL.

cookie G
09-29-2012, 04:51 PM
LOL. Never going to happen.

Pat White Redux.

He's nothing like Pat White.

swiper
09-29-2012, 04:54 PM
He's nothing like Pat White.

Sure.

gr8slayer
09-29-2012, 04:56 PM
With quality posts like this, you're making a hell of a case against drafting him. Keep bringing the knowledge.
Sure.

cookie G
09-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Well, he gets Texas next week, K-State 2 weeks after that, and Oklahoma in November. not necessarily the best tests, but a little better than Baylor.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, he's the guy who lit up Clemson for 70 pts on 6 TD passes in their bowl game last year.

swiper
09-29-2012, 05:18 PM
With quality posts like this, you're making a hell of a case against drafting him. Keep bringing the knowledge.

Quality posts? Look in the mirror. And then go look at the 5 or 6 posts I posted above it. Then, you can try again with your failed sarcasm. Your comment looks stupid. But that is not surprising coming from you.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Just as many fans pointed out that we shouldn't read too much into the poor performances many Bills players had week #1, it's also the case in a game such as this:

That's not the point I was making. The Bills have run several plays from the pistol formation, it's not going to be as large a transition here. Gailey practically runs a college spread offense.

jimmifli
09-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't think I could cheer for a guy named Geno.

DraftBoy
09-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Interesting considering on Friday I just said he was 'The Perfect Fit'...

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/09/the-perfect-fit/

I was having a discussion a few weeks ago with a friend and colleague of mine, Benjamin Albright of NFLDraftMonster.com (check them out, they have great stuff!), he mentioned that he thought that Geno Smith would make the perfect QB for the Chan Gailey system. Now this was before either the NCAA or NFL season began so while I liked Geno Smith plenty coming into the year I wasn’t quite sold and then…well…Geno happened.

mjt328
09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Doubt we will get the chance.
Dont' be surprised if Geno Smith is pushing Matt Barkley for the #1 pick by next March/April.

I know a lot of people will laugh at that idea.

But consider that Robert Griffin was a mid-round prospect going into his last year at Baylor. He shot up to #2 overall.
Same thing with Cam Newton the year before that. Around the time of the National Championship, he was borderline first-second round. He ended up going #1.

TigerJ
09-29-2012, 08:39 PM
To this point there have been five or six QBs mentioned as possibly the first QB taken in the draft, which more often than not is the first overall pick. They include: Matt Barkley, Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Geno Smith, and Logan Thomas, and maybe one more. Geno Smith is pretty hot right now in the minds of draftniks. If he stays in favor, he probably won't last to where we hope the Bills will be picking. It's still early and alot can change. Baylor and Maryland are division 1 schools, but I think Marshalls down one notch. They are decent schools but they are not SEC powerhouses, or even on a par with the PAC 10 or Big Ten, or whatever they call those conferences now with all the realignment going on. I can't keep up with that stuff.

Barkley was a shooin for #1 overall, then he laid and egg of a game against Stanford. Tyler Wilson looked good, then was out due to concussion. Bray has had his moments, but has also been inconsistent. Logan Thomas was supposed to be the next Cam Newton clone, but he's struggled some. It would surprise me to see a new name at the top of the QB rankings in the next couple weeks and maybe another new name after that. The bottom line is that perceptions of the top college QBs is still very much in flux.

As you say, Geno Smith has good measurables. He's fairly smart and his college offense prepares him well for the Bills offense, but there's a lot of water that has to go under the bridge before that choice is made.

cookie G
09-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Sure.

Well, he's 6'3, not 5' 11".

He's a pure passer out of the spread offense, not a run first QB out of the Wildcat.

His mobility may be OK, but he throws mostly from the pocket, Pat White would throw more on the run.

Smith has the deep accuracy to hit a WR in the hands, even when he isn't open. His deep accuracy could be the best in college football this year.

He threw for more than 4,000 yards last year, and will probably surpass that this year - I doubt PW threw for more than 2,000 in a season.

Different size, different skill set, different offense, different game.

But...he's black and from WV, so...yeah, I guess they are the same.

trapezeus
09-29-2012, 09:02 PM
andre ware?

cookie G
09-29-2012, 09:07 PM
andre ware?

Always that fear.

I think there always is with any spread QB, or any QB for that matter.

I don't know if Ware ever threw for over 400 yards against the top pass defense in college football, like Smith did against LSU last year.

swiper
09-29-2012, 09:22 PM
andre ware?

Maybe a better example.

GingerP
09-29-2012, 09:46 PM
One difference is Ware declared and came out early, while Smith is a true senior. Ware really only had a year-and-a-half of big production in the run-n-shoot, while Smith will have a full year more.

kishoph
09-30-2012, 04:15 AM
We'll find out more in the upcoming weeks, WV's schedule gets tough, starting with Texas next week. One thing is for sure and that's his accuracy has been insane this year, he has almost as many TD's (20) as he does incomplete passes (28) and he has yet to be picked off. How he transitions to the pros, you really can't tell, but I think he's going to be a really good prospect. Barkley is probably still the #1 QB coming out, but depending on how Smith does in the upcoming weeks, that can change (Smith may be near the #2 right now). As for the Heisman, I think Smith is a lock.

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Maybe a better example.

No its still not a good comp, its just better than the lazy one you produced earlier.

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Here's the thing with Smith to consider, he has not played a top tier defense yet and we won't know everything we need to till then but there are things you can already see and take note of.

Starting with his deep touch that cookie pointed out. Even if the WR is wide open how often is the pass on target and in stride? He threw two passes yesterday both to Stedman Bailey, one a corner fade and the other a deep ball that Bailey was well covered on. Smith places the ball with ease and confidence, there isn't a QB in the country right now that is showing his touch.

Secondly on his short throws into zone which they did multiple times yesterday, watch how he understands down, distance, and defense. He can and will squeeze the ball in between defenders in a zone scheme when he needs to. He is showing advanced recognition skills that you just don't see from a tradition pass happy QB.

Lastly watch his pocket presence and ability to feel the pass rush. He has more than enough athleticism to run around on the outside, but he doesn't because he knows his job is to deliver the football. This offense has gone from a lot of bubble screens and short crossing routes last year to one with deeper and more complex routes this year. Yes he's getting lots of time v. little pass rush but the passes are there and he moves with fluidity in the pocket.

There are some things not to like as well, for instance he has a bad tendency to throw off his back foot as he falls away from the throw. His arm strength covers this up for the most part but its a bad habit, he also has sloppy footwork when he sees a throw after moving his feet. He knows how to reset his feet, Ive seen him do it countless times but lately he hasn't. Both of those issues though are coachable problems.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-30-2012, 08:50 AM

We run the capgun

ublinkwescore
09-30-2012, 10:43 AM
What if the patriots tank this season for him?

Generalissimus Gibby
09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
What if the patriots tank this season for him?

They have my permission as long as we land Brady somehow.

IAG
09-30-2012, 11:35 AM
EJ Manual would be nice pick in the second round to develop for a year. Love the guy. Mature, strong, athletic and experienced.

Cali512
09-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Can we ban ass wiper? I mean swipper?

snow1989
09-30-2012, 03:01 PM
"If" Geno continues his tear ( and I say if because Baylor is an anomaly - their defense has been ripped the last couple weeks )he could well be a number 1 or 2 pick, but with Buff probably set to draft somewhere in the middle of the first round ( I look at a 6-10 season ) there is no way we would give up enough draft picks or a combo of personnel and picks to get into the number 1 or 2 slot. That's just not the way our current management works.

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Geno Smith on his record setting day said;

Smith's lament to the media was that he could have completed those other six passes and that he didn't lead the team to any points on its opening drive. Oh, and he probably forced a pass or two, rather than tucking the ball away and using his legs to pick up some yards.

Also one of the TD passes he audibled to after spotting a weakness in the Baylor secondary. Here is the thing though, the play he called was not one WVU had even put into their game plan, he called it from the line. If you've ever played or coached football you know how impressive that is.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/20413643/the-big-picture-heisman-frontrunner-smith-has-recordsetting-week-4/rss

Ingtar33
09-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Hes exactly what Gailey wants in a QB. I have never been one to think about the draft this early, but no matter what happens, i see the bills doing all they can to get geno. He will be our future QB, mark my words!

and the bills will finish this season with 7 wins, and not even be close to able to draft him

Raptor
10-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Unless the Bills plan on losing every game for the rest of the year Geno Smith will not be a Buffalo Bill, He's the first pick in the draft folks

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Unless the Bills plan on losing every game for the rest of the year Geno Smith will not be a Buffalo Bill, He's the first pick in the draft folks

Agreed, but that does not mean he's out of reach for the Bills. At this point QB is becoming such a need that you have to consider an RGIII package if you can get him. The Browns are certainly reconsidering their unwillingness from this past April right now.

That comes with two caveat's;
1-This is far from over scouting wise
2-We finish with a Top 10 pick

Bulldog
10-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm never one to advocate for tanking a season this early, but I'm perfectly OK with tanking the remainder of this season. This team has so many god damn issues right now, I'm not even sure where to start. It's a passing oriented league, draft a QB with the top pick in the draft and move on from there.

GingerP
10-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Agreed, but that does not mean he's out of reach for the Bills. At this point QB is becoming such a need that you have to consider an RGIII package if you can get him. The Browns are certainly reconsidering their unwillingness from this past April right now.

That comes with two caveat's;
1-This is far from over scouting wise
2-We finish with a Top 10 pick

That comes with the caveat that the team with the top pick has to be willing to deal. RGIII was possible because the Rams already had Bradford. Usually, the team at the top needs the QB, so they take him. If a team needs the QB, they aren't going to deal the pick away unless they are stupid. They take the QB.

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm never one to advocate for tanking a season this early, but I'm perfectly OK with tanking the remainder of this season. This team has so many god damn issues right now, I'm not even sure where to start. It's a passing oriented league, draft a QB with the top pick in the draft and move on from there.

You never tank and you especially have no need to do so this year.

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 07:59 AM
That comes with the caveat that the team with the top pick has to be willing to deal. RGIII was possible because the Rams already had Bradford. Usually, the team at the top needs the QB, so they take him. If a team needs the QB, they aren't going to deal the pick away unless they are stupid. They take the QB.

Agreed though I believe the Saints currently hold the top spot.

GingerP
10-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Agreed though I believe the Saints currently hold the top spot.

Cleveland is winless as well. I think there are several teams bad enough to be in line for the top pick, but I doubt the Saints are one of them. They will win some games.

I think the Bills will win more games as well. As bad as yesterday was, the Bills are better than that.

MTBillsFan
10-01-2012, 12:57 PM

The Bills are running a pop gun right now.

Mouldsie
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Good point. And Shannahan was friendly with the STL FO which helped.

Bulldog
10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
You never tank and you especially have no need to do so this year.

Worked out pretty well for the Colts. They went from Manning to Luck. That doesn't suck.

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Worked out pretty well for the Colts. They went from Manning to Luck. That doesn't suck.

That wasn't tanking they were just that bad.

kingJofNYC
10-01-2012, 03:52 PM
If I were managing this team, I'd make sure the team tanked. With all the recent QBs taken, we may have a shot at one if we're in the top 5. Drafting top 10 for sure.

Albany,n.y.
10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Never, never, never, never draft a player to fit a coach. Especially one who is Gailey's age & is on as thin ice as Gailey will be either at the end of this year or next. Teams that draft players who fit failing coaches systems are repeat failures year after year after year. Just look at all the programatic non fits the Bills have acquired who fit the Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, or Dick Jauron schemes of these coaches or their coordinators.