PDA

View Full Version : Give our D time

Cali512
09-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I do have to say, our fans are stupid (including me at times) if we believe that our D would be dominant immediatly

We have a new DC who hasnt coached in a while who is still adjusting to being on this team

We are switching schemes

Barnett, Dareus, Sheppard, Anderson, and Mario are all playing positions that they either never have played, or havent played in a few years

Barnett, Sheppard, A Williams, Rogers, and Dareus just came here last season

Gilmore, Mario, and Anderson all just got here this season

We have a brand new DC, defensive scheme, and a bunch of new players who have never played with eachother before before this year and or last. We were warned that our D will show flashes, but wont be really good till the later part of the season, so everyone keep calm. Today was a defensive collapse based on the surprising running game. We knew we had to stop Brady, and did a great job until they started running. But we knew we couldnt get outa a pass D because that was just what they were waiting for. A veteran D woulda been able to compensate for this, and i believe Wanny woulda made more adjustments. Our players just needa get comfortable together. Itll take some growing pains but weve shown alot of flashes. We all knew all this going into this season, but were just now realizing it. The fact that were showing flashes is all we can ask for at this point. But well be good. San frans and Houstons D didnt grow over one season. It took them all getting adjusted before they were really good. The cardinals didnt look dominant on D till the end of last season, and have continued this season. Just relax. We know individually that we have at least 4-5 great players, and the rest are solid, with a couple inconsistant players (Wilson, Barnett, Sheppard, Moats, A-Will, and Leodis)

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I do have to say, our fans are stupid (including me at times) if we believe that our D would be dominant immediatly

We have a new DC who hasnt coached in a while who is still adjusting to being on this team

We are switching schemes

Barnett, Dareus, Sheppard, Anderson, and Mario are all playing positions that they either never have played, or havent played in a few years

We have a brand new DC, defensive scheme, and a bunch of new players who have never played with eachother before before this year and or last. We were warned that our D will show flashes, but wont be really good till the later part of the season, so everyone keep calm. Today was a defensive collapse based on the surprising running game. We knew we had to stop Brady, and did a great job until they started running. But we knew we couldnt get outa a pass D because that was just what they were waiting for. A veteran D woulda been able to compensate for this, and i believe Wanny woulda made more adjustments. Our players just needa get comfortable together. Itll take some growing pains but weve shown alot of flashes. We all knew all this going into this season, but were just now realizing it. The fact that were showing flashes is all we can ask for at this point. But well be good. San frans and Houstons D didnt grow over one season. It took them all getting adjusted before they were really good. The cardinals didnt look dominant on D till the end of last season, and have continued this season. Just relax. We know individually that we have at least 4-5 great players, and the rest are solid, with a couple inconsistant players (Wilson, Barnett, Sheppard, Moats, A-Will, and Leodis)

He was the Head Coach at Pittsburgh before getting run out of town and coming to Buffalo. In fact he was out of a coaching job all of 45 total days (fired by Pitt 12/7/10, hired by Bills 1/21/11).

imbondz
09-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Nope. Plenty of teams have figured it out quicker.

kingJofNYC
09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Texans figured it out instantly last season. New scheme, new players, new coach. Quick results.

Bangarang
09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
You don't need time to learn how to play with heart and be physical.

Cali512
09-30-2012, 08:09 PM
He was the Head Coach at Pittsburgh before getting run out of town and coming to Buffalo. In fact he was out of a coaching job all of 45 total days (fired by Pitt 12/7/10, hired by Bills 1/21/11).

Im not going to answer this because its a totally stupid comeback

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Im not going to answer this because its a totally stupid comeback

You said he hadn't coached in a while, so unless you're going to tell me 45 total days is a while, Im not sure you should be the one calling anybody or anything stupid.

OpIv37
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
0-2 in the division. 97 points given up.

There is no more time. We are already ****ed.

Cali512
09-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Texans figured it out instantly last season. New scheme, new players, new coach. Quick results.

There D took years to develop. They didnt get all the players in 1 year and then became amazing. It took a good 3 years for there players to get on the team and perform at a high level

Skooby
09-30-2012, 08:14 PM

We are switching schemes

I preached this upfront, we're way out on normal schemes everytime, it's obvious❤.

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2012, 08:15 PM

We are switching schemes

This post is a ******.

Cali512
09-30-2012, 08:16 PM
You said he hadn't coached in a while, so unless you're going to tell me 45 total days is a while, Im not sure you should be the one calling anybody or anything stupid.

The point was he hasnt coached an NFL D in a while. He hasnt had a long time to get to know all these players and develop them yet. Most DCs get a chance to develop there players to there own scheme, which takes more than 4 games. Players will eventually adapt to the scheme and playing eachother. The Giants, Ravens, Steelers and etc Ds werent built over night. These last 2 years were the first years we had any talent on D. We had 2-3 good solid players, but not the caliber of players we have now. We just needa give them time to develop.

OpIv37
09-30-2012, 08:16 PM
This post is a ******.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Bangarang
09-30-2012, 08:17 PM
There D took years to develop. They didnt get all the players in 1 year and then became amazing. It took a good 3 years for there players to get on the team and perform at a high level

They completely changed defensive schemes and went from one of the worst defenses in the league to a top defense the same year they made the transition. Not to mention they did all these despite losing Mario Williams. They literally turned that defense around overnight.

Cali512
This post is a ******.

Its ******ed that everything people have said about our D before the season and how there not going to be fully dominant immediatley and it may take time is ******ed?

DraftBoy
The point was he hasnt coached an NFL D in a while. He hasnt had a long time to get to know all these players and develop them yet. Most DCs get a chance to develop there players to there own scheme, which takes more than 4 games. Players will eventually adapt to the scheme and playing eachother. The Giants, Ravens, Steelers and etc Ds werent built over night. These last 2 years were the first years we had any talent on D. We had 2-3 good solid players, but not the caliber of players we have now. We just needa give them time to develop.

He was here all of last year and we ran far more 43 Cover 2 philosophy (especially towards the end of the year) than most recall. This isn't just the players not being used to the scheme this is not having the talent at LB, not having the right DE's, and being just plain young in the secondary. You don't sign Mario Williams to play in a Cover 2 scheme that asks the DE to just get 5-7 yards up the field it doesn't make sense or fit his skill set.

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Chan Gailey should have been fired last year. He sucks and it showed even more so today. The team quit on him today.

Cali512
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself.

:)

Bangarang
09-30-2012, 08:19 PM

It's not like Wanny only interacts with our players during games on Sundays. This is his job. He watches practice. Goes over film. Talks with his players on a daily basis. If he doesn't know the kind of players and talent he has now and how to best utilize them then that proves Wanny doesn't know what he's doing either.

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2012, 08:21 PM
:)

You should be banned.

EDS
09-30-2012, 08:24 PM
He was here all of last year and we ran far more 43 Cover 2 philosophy (especially towards the end of the year) than most recall. This isn't just the players not being used to the scheme this is not having the talent at LB, not having the right DE's, and being just plain young in the secondary. You don't sign Mario Williams to play in a Cover 2 scheme that asks the DE to just get 5-7 yards up the field it doesn't make sense or fit his skill set.

Gailey's entire tenure with the Bills has been about trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

He still has not figured it out. My 20 month old daughter, on the other hand, has been able to learn this very basic concept.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-30-2012, 08:32 PM
give our d time? when someone is given 100,000,000 dollars, improvement is not expected 'in time.' it's expected now.

EDS
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM

You sure about that?

J.J. Watts and Brooks Reed are second year players (just like Dareus, Sheppard and Williams).
Jonathan Joseph, Danniel Manning and Bradie James are veterans brought in the past two seasons (just like Barnett, Williams and Anderson)
Two other defensive starters, Kareem Jackson and Connor Barwin are third year players (just like Moats and backup Carrington)

So at the end of the day, during the same time period Buddy and Chan have been running the show, Houston has been able to acquire 7 new starters on a top notch defensive unit. At the same time, they have had to endure the loss of one of their defensive leaders (DeMeco Ryan) and a fomer #1 overall draft pick (You know who).

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
It's keeps circling back to Chan Gailey being a terrible coach. I don't know why he wasn't fired last year.

DraftBoy
09-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Gailey's entire tenure with the Bills has been about trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

He still has not figured it out. My 20 month old daughter, on the other hand, has been able to learn this very basic concept.

Oh trust me Im well away. I've been saying this won't work since the rumor started that we were going to hire him.

kingJofNYC
09-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Give it time guys, let's give it another three years, they'll turn it around.

Bangarang
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Give it time guys, let's give it another three years, they'll turn it around.

Our coaching staff is too smart for their own good. At some point they will get lucky and their stubbornness and foolishness will pay off. Right?

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Our coaching staff is too smart for their own good. At some point they will get lucky and their stubbornness and foolishness will pay off. Right?

Nope.

kingJofNYC
09-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Time heals everything guys, just give it a chance!

Novacane
09-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Dominant? DOMINANT? I'd settle for average! How long do we have to wait for that?

Buffalogic
09-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Houston is good but who have they really played? Mia? Not exactly a good offense. The Jaguars? Garbage offense. Broncos are hit or miss and they put up 25 against them. And the Titans who can't score except against detroit.

So lets see them play a team like the patriots before everyone crowns them best d on the planet.

GingerP
10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Houston is good but who have they really played? Mia? Not exactly a good offense. The Jaguars? Garbage offense. Broncos are hit or miss and they put up 25 against them. And the Titans who can't score except against detroit.

So lets see them play a team like the patriots before everyone crowns them best d on the planet.

They were the 2nd-rated defense in the NFL last year. They are the 2nd-rated defense in the NFL this year. I think they are beyond the fluke stage, they are good.

coastal
10-01-2012, 07:04 AM
They completely changed defensive schemes and went from one of the worst defenses in the league to a top defense the same year they made the transition. Not to mention they did all these despite losing Mario Williams. They literally turned that defense around overnight.
Signing Mario Williams was a death blow before it was even born.

success abortion.

gebobs
10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Like Gailey, you think preseason goes into October. Belichick disagrees.

And I will accept baby steps. I don't need to go from worst to first on defense. Worst to mediocre would be fine.

Mahdi
10-01-2012, 08:12 AM
We have a veteran defense in the front 7 and they got abused yesterday. Unacceptable. Each one of them got whipped physically off the ball. has nothing to do with being a new defense with a new coordinator.

These guys keep thinking that they are so good and need to take a beating every couple games to remind them that they are not as good as they thought.

stuckincincy
10-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Give our D time...how about six months in the county lockup? :bandwagon

GingerP
10-01-2012, 08:26 AM
We have a veteran defense in the front 7 and they got abused yesterday. Unacceptable. Each one of them got whipped physically off the ball. has nothing to do with being a new defense with a new coordinator.

I agree the front 4 was disappointing in that they should have been able to get off blocks. They are better than that, especially against a Pats OL that was starting Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell and Donald Thomas inside. They were getting beat right up the gut, tackle-to-tackle.

That said, probably a third to half of the Bills defensive snaps they had one LB on the field, with Bryan Scott and George Wilson lining up as linebackers. They did that against the Pats 2 TE looks, and got steamrolled in the run game. I understand you are worried about Brady passing the ball, but you can't run nickel/dime looks against 2 TE sets and stay with it when you are getting steamrolled in the run game.

The Pats were able to get blockers to the 2nd-level and gash the Bills against smaller personnel. The Bills stayed with it and didn't adjust, and that is poor coaching. I understand you want to invite the Pats to run because you don't want Brady shredding you, but at some point when you are getting crushed in the run game it becomes demoralizing. That is what happened yesterday, the Bills were overwhelmed by a physically larger offense. They stayed with sub-looks anyway, that had to be frustrating to the players.