PDA

View Full Version : Let's hope Chan changes his tune on Tarvaris Jackson

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 07:24 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/09/29/qb-jackson-likely-to-remain-in-3-role/

In his weekly conversation with Buffalobills.com head coach Chan Gailey said it’s unlikely that Jackson will move up from the number three role this season to challenge for the backup job due to those practice dynamics.

I was talking to Lecter about this last night, I dont understand why we wasted the pick then. In fairness this was said on 9/29, so let's see if the tune changes otherwise its Fitz and Thigpen all season long.

Skooby
10-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Fitz's roll is a toilet roll & it flushed.

trapezeus
10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
i would like to see T Jackson play sooner than later. And it's not because i think he'll fair much better. It's because next year, i don't want fitz tossed away and then this draft of no QB's and an explanation of, "we really like T Jackson and can win with him" as good qb's get taken pick after pick after the bills.

This is a lost season. put it all out there. Show our three crap qb's and then draft a qb in round 1-7. one of them has to be ok.

Jeff1220
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
The best scenario at this point would be to dump Fitz and his now ridiculous contract, draft a solid, legitimate QB prospect EARLY, and have TJax as the back-up/starter in the event prospect is not ready day 1.

Bill Cody
10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
People laughed when I said I would have traded our entire draft for Andrew Luck. Here's the thing: we could have the '85 Bears defense and the the 89 49ers offense and still not win with Fitz under center. Do you think Washington fans are feeling bad for what they gave up for RG III? It's such a hopeless feeling watching us play NE. They have a QB. We don't. We need to get one at all costs. All costs. The end.

Night Train
10-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Makes zero sense to trade for the guy, then scratch him from the active roster each Sunday.

He can run and throw. Use him.

Bill Cody
10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Makes zero sense to trade for the guy, then scratch him from the active roster each Sunday.

To me it's a fireable offense to not bench Fitz for TJ now. Why? Because it's impossible for a qualified coach to watch that game film and say "this will get better". NO IT WON'T. Is TJ the answer? For now, yes.

jdaltroy5
10-01-2012, 09:51 AM
If we have a losing record heading into the bye, I'd make the swap. I know NE, Arizona, and San Fran are good teams, but you can't expect to lose all those games and still make the playoffs.

I don't think this would be considered a reactionary decision either. Fitz is 12-22 in the last 3 years and has thrown 30 picks in the last 19 games.

GingerP
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
It seems like a panic move to do that now. It would be one thing if Jackson weren't a career journeyman, but he is. The best thing you can say about him is he is not Fitz. His career Comp% of 59.4, TD-to-Int of 38-to-35 and Yds/Att of 6.7 are Fitz-like. He is 29 years old. He isn't fixing anything.

However, if the team continues to struggle on offense at some point you have to make the change just for the sake of doing something different. I just don't think it will fix anything.

Extremebillsfan247
10-01-2012, 09:58 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/09/29/qb-jackson-likely-to-remain-in-3-role/

I was talking to Lecter about this last night, I dont understand why we wasted the pick then. In fairness this was said on 9/29, so let's see if the tune changes otherwise its Fitz and Thigpen all season long. I don't think so. Chan is pretty stubborn. He's a sink or swim coach. The only way I see a change being made is if the ruling comes from a higher pay grade. JMO

Bill Cody
10-01-2012, 09:59 AM
If we have a losing record heading into the bye, I'd make the swap.

No. This is the equivalent of the Grenn Bay game with Trent Edwards. You don't tell your team "let's go get em we can win with this guy" when they know it's not true. And you don't wait until the season's out of hand to try something bold. Will TJ make a difference? It really doesn't matter does it? Someone, anyone tell me what we've got to lose by sitting Fitz down now. Leadership isn't waiting for the bye week.

The QB can't play D but football is a game of emotion. Tell me how much emotion this team has if we keep the status quo? It's time to hit the bright red panic button. There I said it.

justasportsfan
10-01-2012, 10:02 AM
like I said on my thread, Chan thinks Tavaris is not ready. Tell that to the rookies like Tannehill , Luck and RG3. Even 2nd year qb's like Dalton and Ponder are not doing badly.

jdaltroy5
10-01-2012, 10:04 AM
It seems like a panic move to do that now. It would be one thing if Jackson weren't a career journeyman, but he is. The best thing you can say about him is he is not Fitz. His career Comp% of 59.4, TD-to-Int of 38-to-35 and Yds/Att of 6.7 are Fitz-like. He is 29 years old. He isn't fixing anything.

However, if the team continues to struggle on offense at some point you have to make the change just for the sake of doing something different. I just don't think it will fix anything.

Panic move? Fitz has a .353 winning percentage over the last 3 seasons.

He's had MORE than ample time to prove his worth and he hasn't.

jdaltroy5
10-01-2012, 10:07 AM
No. This is the equivalent of the Grenn Bay game with Trent Edwards. You don't tell your team "let's go get em we can win with this guy" when they know it's not true. And you don't wait until the season's out of hand to try something bold. Will TJ make a difference? It really doesn't matter does it? Someone, anyone tell me what we've got to lose by sitting Fitz down now. Leadership isn't waiting for the bye week.

The QB can't play D but football is a game of emotion. Tell me how much emotion this team has if we keep the status quo? It's time to hit the bright red panic button. There I said it.

I honestly would be ok with handing the reins over to TJ next week. I've seen enough of Pickspatrick to know that we'll never win with him.

The only reason I said bye week is because it's more realistic and doesn't seem as reactionary. It also gives TJ enough to absorb the playbook.

Bill Cody
10-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't think so. Chan is pretty stubborn. He's a sink or swim coach. The only way I see a change being made is if the ruling comes from a higher pay grade. JMO

No he's a sink coach. That's why Georgia Tech ran him out of town. As for higher pay grade, the only guy that could make that move gets fed Cream of Wheat for lunch with a bib and a dribble cup. I'm just so damn furious right now. When your team quits at home against a division opponent (I don't dare say "rival") that reflects on the coach very badly.

Bill Cody
10-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I honestly would be ok with handing the reins over to TJ next week. I've seen enough of Pickspatrick to know that we'll never win with him.

The only reason I said bye week is because it's more realistic and doesn't seem as reactionary. It also gives TJ enough to absorb the playbook.

I don't give a **** if TJ is scratching the plays out in the dirt in the huddle. And if that ****ing **** sandwich yesterday isn't enough for a strong reactionary move I don't know what it will take.

PTI
10-01-2012, 11:44 AM
i would like to see T Jackson play sooner than later. And it's not because i think he'll fair much better. It's because next year, i don't want fitz tossed away and then this draft of no QB's and an explanation of, "we really like T Jackson and can win with him" as good qb's get taken pick after pick after the bills.

This is a lost season. put it all out there. Show our three crap qb's and then draft a qb in round 1-7. one of them has to be ok.

This is exactly why Jackson has to play. The Bills have shown they cannot win with Fitz. Time to show what they can or can't do with Jackson. Fitz does nothing to energize this team, he is not a real leader at all.

Mr. Pink
10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
If Jackson is stuck at 3rd on the depth chart for the majority of the season what a joke.

Why bother even trading for him?

mrbojanglezs
10-01-2012, 11:52 AM
thats dumb...I can see why he sits out half the season because I believe the trade was dependent on active games for escalators. But the whole season? What a a waste of a roster spot. Is Chan going to start Tarvaris next year and we will pass on another young qb in the draft. ENOUGH

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
thats dumb...I can see why he sits out half the season because I believe the trade was dependent on active games for escalators. But the whole season? What a a waste of a roster spot. Is Chan going to start Tarvaris next year and we will pass on another young qb in the draft. ENOUGH

Jackson isn't under contract next year.

mrbojanglezs
10-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Jackson isn't under contract next year.

This makes the trade even more dumb. Really he can't study and learn the playbook on his own time up and above the weekly gameplan?

DraftBoy
10-01-2012, 12:02 PM
This makes the trade even more dumb. Really he can't study and learn the playbook on his own time up and above the weekly gameplan?

He can, Chan's point is that he won't get practice reps because Chan won't let him.

PTI
10-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Practice is not going to help Fitz hit wide open WRs downfield.

trapezeus
10-01-2012, 12:11 PM
i just think we all know that the bills seem to have some reason to keep QB play atrocious. They pick in round 1, get burned - "never do that again." Then they pick in round 3 get burned - never do that again.

The bills will without a doubt stay with fitz and when we fall short, they will roll with T Jackson. It's unforgiveable. That's why if i had my way, i'd like to see t jackson play right now. If moorman can get cut for shanking 3 games worth of punts over 10 year career, What is the deal with fitz? He's never been an allstar. he had 5 decent games where in three of them, he dug himself a huge hole to get out of.

I think if you coach the bills, you have to go into this week with a statement like: you guys embarassed yourselves and frankly i think we put you in a situation to succeed. Only becaues we were. And if I'm going down in this ship, i'm going to do it my way. So another effort like that means you will be on the bench. i don't care who is going in and what you think the drop off is between you and the next guy. I'mnot going to go down with 1 sack and 6 yards a carry. i'm not going down with 4 interceptions. i'm not going down with fumbles on the 1 yard line. I will not do that. and i'm the idiot for thinking you guys can turn this around. but the leash is short and you guys made it that way.

Turf
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Fitz misses easy passes that should be big plays. Given that, he stills throws a lot of TDS. I agree hes not our QB of the future, But that being said, we were up 21-7 in the third, and the defense and Wannstad lost the game. Its all on the defense putting on the worst showing imaginable.

kingJofNYC
10-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Never understood the move to be honest. The guy wasn't under contract, and he wasn't going to contribute the first month or two. Clueless front office.

BertSquirtgum
10-01-2012, 02:57 PM

The exact reason I want Buddy fired or hopefully he'll resign so Whaley can clean house and get a real head coach in here. This front office makes some really dumb decisions.

BuffaloWingEater
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
why is everyone putting this loss on fitz? the defense allowed 6 straight touchdowns--nfl record. the defense allowed for the 2nd time in nfl history 2 different 100 year rushers and receivers. gailey had spiller, with a busted wing, running at the goal line. we lost two offensive lineman and did not try and pound the ball. and the list goes on. i know fitz is terribly average, but he is not the reason why the bills lost.

BertSquirtgum
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
why is everyone putting this loss on fitz? the defense allowed 6 straight touchdowns--nfl record. the defense allowed for the 2nd time in nfl history 2 different 100 year rushers and receivers. gailey had spiller, with a busted wing, running at the goal line. we lost two offensive lineman and did not try and pound the ball. and the list goes on. i know fitz is terribly average, but he is not the reason why the bills lost.

Chan Gailey is the reason the Bills lost. He's a ****ty head coach.

Bill Cody
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM

So 4 INT's is average? For what? CYO league?

Noone is dumping all the blame on anyone. The defense was not only terrible they quit. Gayly was badly outcoached. The list goes on. But let's be crystal clear here- If Brady was on the Bills and Fitz was on the Pats we win. So it's not all on Fitz but it's certainly part on him. Fitz knows what to do, and he wants to win, he just can't throw the football which is kind of a bad thing if that's your job.

Jeff1220
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
It seemed that TJax was picked up in case the season (& Fitz) was going like this, they'd have an alternative to try to spark some life into the club. I guess that's not it though. They must've just felt like pissing away draft picks and way more money than a #3 QB should ever get.

Albany,n.y.
10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
like I said on my thread, Chan thinks Tavaris is not ready. Tell that to the rookies like Tannehill , Luck and RG3. Even 2nd year qb's like Dalton and Ponder are not doing badly.

This is more evidence that Chan is an incompetent boob who has put together such a complex offense that unless the QB has Ivy League brains or has been familiar with the system for years nobody else can run it.
Although the guy wasn't a good head coach, at least Haley was smart enough to see Chan's offense in a few preseason games & run him out of town as OC in KC. Unfortunately Buddy Nix saw getting fired in preseason as a coordinator as something good enough on Chan's resume to promote him from fired OC to HC. Either that or Buddy though it was better to hire a guy as coach with an NFL resume rather than pull a Bills fan out of the stands because only Bills fans & Chan wanted the job.

BuffaloWingEater
10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
So 4 INT's is average? For what? CYO league?

Noone is dumping all the blame on anyone. The defense was not only terrible they quit. Gayly was badly outcoached. The list goes on. But let's be crystal clear here- If Brady was on the Bills and Fitz was on the Pats we win. So it's not all on Fitz but it's certainly part on him. Fitz knows what to do, and he wants to win, he just can't throw the football which is kind of a bad thing if that's your job.

4 td's is not cyo either. brady is a legend. switching him with 90% of the qb's in this league and he will win.

BertSquirtgum
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
This is more evidence that Chan is an incompetent boob who has put together such a complex offense that unless the QB has Ivy League brains or has been familiar with the system for years nobody else can run it.
Although the guy wasn't a good head coach, at least Haley was smart enough to see Chan's offense in a few preseason games & run him out of town as OC in KC. Unfortunately Buddy Nix saw getting fired in preseason as a coordinator as something good enough on Chan's resume to promote him from fired OC to HC. Either that or Buddy though it was better to hire a guy as coach with an NFL resume rather than pull a Bills fan out of the stands because only Bills fans & Chan wanted the job.

A Bills fan would do a better job as head coach. I'm sure of it.

BillsFever21
10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
As much as I don't disagree we need a better QB I can't lay the blame on Fitzpatrick for this one. Our defense was putrid and gave up as soon as the Patriots got back in the game. It was as pathetic of a performance as I've ever seen.

Fitzpatrick is what he his. He will make some good passes and throw a lot of TD's over a string of games but he will throw many bad passes and throw a lot of turnovers too and go long stretches in the game without doing anything.

I still can't lay the blame on him for this loss. When you give up 52 points and 45 of the points in about a 15-20 minute span of the game you're going to lose. It doesn't mean we don't need an upgrade at QB but we don't have that at the moment.

lmcshadow
10-02-2012, 01:50 PM
"I’ve got complete confidence in Fitzpatrick and pathetic performance"

trapezeus
10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
gailey gets decent qb play out of his QB and he erases 7 INTs from two games. And frankly, the two wins didn't see fitz do much of anything.

gailey's schemes have open receivers. and drives die early. I am fine with gailey's o. his selection of d coordinators and his refusal to take Fitz out is odd. He's willing to cut the punter after 3 bad games, but he has no appetite to sit a guy who either turns the ball over relentlessly, or is best when not utilized at all? Seems odd to me.

PTI
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Fitz is a too expensive backup QB next year, Jackson should be that guy.

starrymessenger
10-03-2012, 12:49 PM
gailey gets decent qb play out of his QB and he erases 7 INTs from two games. And frankly, the two wins didn't see fitz do much of anything.

gailey's schemes have open receivers. and drives die early. I am fine with gailey's o. his selection of d coordinators and his refusal to take Fitz out is odd. He's willing to cut the punter after 3 bad games, but he has no appetite to sit a guy who either turns the ball over relentlessly, or is best when not utilized at all? Seems odd to me.

It is not odd. It makes perfect sense. After selling Buddy and Ralph a bill of goods on Fitz four games into last season, Chan cannot admit his epic fail.
Chan's O is not that complex and all he need do is call the plays. TJ can do anything Fitz can do, is a better leader and gives you the deep ball option,-which you need to have.
Chan is great at designing an O but he has made a terrible personnel decision regarding the all important position.