PDA

View Full Version : Linebacking!

X-Era
10-01-2012, 04:30 PM
It was atrocious yesterday.

I realize they ran from the nickle almost all game long. But, anyone who thought linebackers weren't important in this defense just got schooled. Gronk and at some level Welker (Rogers got torched too) showed you exactly what we should have known they would... You must be able to cover the flat and intermediate routes. And the run game showed you that our LB's couldn't be counted on in that phase either.

Scott got destroyed. He couldn't get off blocks, couldn't tackle. Barnett missed plenty tackles too. Shepp, in the few instances that he was in, continued to prove he isn't good enough.

This team needs upgrades at OLB and ILB bad. It's now become our top need IMO.

Skooby
10-01-2012, 04:36 PM
We need to start looking for new LB's or this is going to be a long season.

coastal
10-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Didn't the Giants win the Superbowl with retreads at linebacker and at defensive coordinator?

X-Era
10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Didn't the Giants win the Superbowl with retreads at linebacker and at defensive coordinator?If only we were the Giants...

Buddo
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Neither Sheppard or Moats saw the field much, at all, unless I'm very much mistaken. If you look up the stats for the game, Moats made one tackle, and Sheppard got one 'assist'. I don't think you can call them out if they don't get the opportunity to play, to be fair.
They might not be good enough, but if your DC isn't going to let them on the field, then we aren't going to find out.
Our DC coached possibly the worst game I've seen, certainly from the 2nd half. I'm not sure he tried to do anything schematically, to prevent us from being gashed by the run, or to try and generate any pressure, when the Pats were keeping 6 guys on the line, while we were just sending 4. Piss poor coaching, it was.

kingJofNYC
10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Didn't the Giants win the Superbowl with retreads at linebacker and at defensive coordinator?
Boley is better than anyone on this roster right now.

Barnett is slow as ****. You don't need world beaters but we've got corpses. A converted safety? What in the **** are we doing. LB woes go back years too. Remember when Poz was the only decent guy, Kawika and that other scrub who's name I've forgotten. Passed on Lee and Bowman, easily obtainable in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Org has ignored the position for a very long time.

BuffaloWingEater
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
bring back shawn of the dead merriman

EDS
10-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Akeem Ayers in round 2 last year would have been a good call. Would not have complained about Brooks Reed either (or, in hindsight, Andy Dalton).

kingJofNYC
10-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Akeem Ayers in round 2 last year would have been a good call. Would not have complained about Brooks Reed either (or, in hindsight, Andy Dalton).

Was pretty pissed when they took Aaron Williams, not because he was a CB but I just didn't see the talent. He got lit up in the Big 12, remember Blackmon torching him repeatedly and he's no burner.

Raptor
10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Scott should never be a LB but for some reason the Bills have been trying to convince themselves and everyone else he is

YardRat
10-01-2012, 06:55 PM
LBers aren't going to help any team cover Gronk and Welker. You neutralize both with a pass rush.

djjimkelly
10-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Scott should never be a LB but for some reason the Bills have been trying to convince themselves and everyone else he is

i heard pat kirwan say a few weeks ago that a defensive coordinator he knows says they are actually a base nickel D.

i think they are talking about us.

we actually run a 4-2 D and we run nickel or more id say 80% of the snaps this season

BertSquirtgum
10-01-2012, 07:47 PM
bring back shawn of the dead merriman

They should never have released him. He would be better on the team just as a motivator. We know the coaches can't motivate anyone.