PDA

View Full Version : Spiller takes the Blame

ghz in pittsburgh
10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2012/oct/02/cj-spiller-takes-blame-turning-point-fumble-bills/

I still don't like the fact that they gave him the ball down there, but if anything coming of it is another learning step for Spiller.

Look at it this, way, as it is right now, Spiller is going to carry the ball for the Bills long term, and he seems to be one that needs to go through all the pains to learn the right moves - he does learn!

After a couple of days to cool down, I believe this is a young team still learning to win. They can beat bottom feeders. But against a top flight team, they are just not ready. Whatever the term you want to use, mental toughness, or like Fitz said in his interview that he thought the team turned a page in vistory @Cleveland, the Bills are not there.

When the Bills are up 21-7. Everyone, me included, thought we had them. I cannot help to think what the young defense felt like at that time. Against the Chiefs and Browns, it's true; it's pressure time; it's sack time; it's turnover time. But the Pats are like the Bills of early 90s. They have guys went through wars the current Bills never experienced. And when the tide is turned, the Bills panicked and it snowballed from there.

I blame Chan & company for not preparing the team to face this kind of adversity. But in the big picture, it's probably a necessary setback they have to go through, assuming Nix continues his current plan of building this team.

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2012, 01:23 PM
3 years should be enough time to show me the baby.

ICRockets
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
3 years should be enough time to show me the baby.

Maybe, but in reality what happened on Sunday is that we lost to a team that is 2 plays away from 4-0, and we did it because of one egregiously bad quarter. We did NOT play a bad game on Sunday. We played a bad 4th quarter. It happens. It's frustrating and disheartening as all hell, but it happens to every single team in the league.

gebobs
10-02-2012, 01:51 PM
like Fitz said in his interview that he thought the team turned a page in vistory @ClevelandWhat?

RedEyE
10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Hardly Spiller's fault. As a team you need to shake those things off and drive on. Last time I checked Spiller doesn't play defense. Last time I checked Spiller didn't throw 4 interceptions.

trapezeus
10-02-2012, 04:29 PM
the bills are jumping on the fitz grenade for no reason. 7 INTs in two games? The play calling in final two minutes of first half was absurd anyways. They threw 3 times and barely got to the 2 minute warning. If they just ran on first down, they show that they might be settling for the field goal. It opens up a better pass play on secondn down. It at least runs clock. It wears down a d that just gave up 2 TD in two drives. It's a championship move.

And i don't really care for players taking the blame of plays at this point. they folded collectively. They should be apologetic to us and our town. They got outhustled by a team that's mental breaking point was right there for the taking. and the second it got mildly difficult, they just gave up.

BillsFever21
10-02-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2012/oct/02/cj-spiller-takes-blame-turning-point-fumble-bills/

I still don't like the fact that they gave him the ball down there, but if anything coming of it is another learning step for Spiller.

Look at it this, way, as it is right now, Spiller is going to carry the ball for the Bills long term, and he seems to be one that needs to go through all the pains to learn the right moves - he does learn!

After a couple of days to cool down, I believe this is a young team still learning to win. They can beat bottom feeders. But against a top flight team, they are just not ready. Whatever the term you want to use, mental toughness, or like Fitz said in his interview that he thought the team turned a page in vistory @Cleveland, the Bills are not there.

When the Bills are up 21-7. Everyone, me included, thought we had them. I cannot help to think what the young defense felt like at that time. Against the Chiefs and Browns, it's true; it's pressure time; it's sack time; it's turnover time. But the Pats are like the Bills of early 90s. They have guys went through wars the current Bills never experienced. And when the tide is turned, the Bills panicked and it snowballed from there.

I blame Chan & company for not preparing the team to face this kind of adversity. But in the big picture, it's probably a necessary setback they have to go through, assuming Nix continues his current plan of building this team.

By our past experiences with the Patriots and in general I can't believe many people could've really thought we had them. I can see maybe thinking we had a good shot but to think we basically had the game put away is insane. In today's NFL a 14 point deficit early in the 3rd quarter is nothing especially with our team and playing against the Patriots.

I know I didn't think the game was over and realized the Patriots were still going to put many points on the board and that 21 points wasn't going to come close to winning the game. I thought it would take around 31-35 to win assuming the Pats were good for a few TD's in the second half. I never dreamed that it was going to be to the tune of 45 second half points but to think we "had them" was being naive.

After they easily went down the field to make it 21-14 that should've been the first hint right there. I told my dad and others I was watching the game with that we're still probably going to lose this game and if the Patriots tie the game up or take the lead we're done with for sure and that this team isn't mentally tough enough or at their level to come back from giving up the lead after being up by two touchdowns. Unfortunately it wasn't very long afterwards before the game was tied and I'm sure most realistic fans felt we were going to lose the game after that. The crowd was sure silenced at that point and the team just totally folded after that and put on one of the biggest 4th quarter embarrassment performances I have seen in a long time after that point.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I was concerned that the Bills cannot run the ball the 1st half. In fact I posted so at the half time. When they went up 21-7, I thought that plays right into our defense hand. And I think the Bills D went to nickel as well.

But they cannot stop the run! The front 4 failed to do that.

BillsFever21
10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Spiller's fumble was a big momentum changer but it still wouldn't have made any difference on the outcome. We had a chance to recapture the momentum after breaking up a sure 50+ yard TD pass to Gronkowski coming out of halftime and then putting together a big play of our own for a TD to Jones immediately after that and taking a 21-7 lead. After all that we should've had all the momentum back but it didn't phase the Patriots one bit.

Had we went up to 28-7 it would've changed the urgency in the Patriots play but by the way they were moving the ball in the second half it still wouldn't have made a difference. This team couldn't stop them one bit. It wouldn't have mattered if we were up by the 7 more points or not. It would've helped but it still wouldn't have made a difference. It wouldn't have all of a sudden make our defense actually tackle and cover the Patriots offensive players for the rest of the 25 minutes of the game.