X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever21
    • Aug 2004

Fitzpatrick "I don't want the game to have to come down to me"

This is one of the worse quotes I want to hear from the starting QB of my team. I heard some of the pre-game show on the radio on my way home to watch the game on Sunday and they asked him about the possibility of Spiller and Jackson being out or limited and how that would affect the game. I don't have the exact quote but it went something like this...

"We obviously want them to play because they help the team. If they don't then the game comes down to me having to beat them and then I start pressing and feeling like I need to do too much which leads to bad throws and interceptions"

I realize this would be the case with many QB's but you could tell by how he said it and what he stated that he doesn't have any confidence in him having to shoulder the load to win the game and that he basically feels he will probably screw it up if that's the case.

Do you think somebody like Rodgers, Brady, Manning, etc, would be scared knowing that the outcome of the game is basically going to come down to them? Even above average 2nd tier QB's wouldn't be that scared to throw the game on their shoulders. Winners want the ball in their hands for better or for worse. Fitz isn't a winner and that's why he's never had a winning season in the NFL and usually throws almost as many or more INT's then touchdowns every season.

Of course every QB wants help from the running game but the majority of the good and clutch QB's welcome the pressure of having to win the game and do it many times. At the worse they don't seem scared going into the game that they feel they will basically screw up if that's the case. Hell a lot of the winning teams in the league have QB's that throw the ball twice as much as they run the ball.

Fitzpatrick will make some good throws during a lot of games and get his TD passes but he makes too many horrible throws and interceptions along with it. There are only a handful or so of great QB's and only maybe half of the league or so are good above average QB's but the last thing I want is my QB to be scared to have to make the majority of the plays on his own to win the game.

I'd take Fitzpatrick as a backup for this system anyday but we are in serious need of a decent QB that can make most of the throws on a regular basis. Sure a great QB would be nice but they are hard to find. I'd just take a consistent reliable one for now that can win you some games when the chips are down and lead your team to the playoffs.

This lousy front office really screwed up when they didn't take a chance on Dalton in the 2011 NFL Draft. He was there for the taking and passed on him for Aaron Williams. They made the situation even worse by giving Fitz a big contract after a few good games and then not taking a shot on mid-round QB to develop and give him some competition in at least this years draft either.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM.
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: Fitzpatrick "I don't want the game to have to come down to me"

The great ones always want the ball when the game is on the line, Fitz.

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

No one wants to take leadership... Aside from maybe CJ.

thats very telling about the state of the organization.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        Legendary Zoner
        • May 2009

I'm so glad the Bills thought so much of Fitzputrid that they signed him to a multi year contract last year. I felt sick for a week after hearing the news. What a piece of crap quarterback. Great guy, bad quarterback. I wish he was talented, he is the perfect guy for Buffalo but he isn't good enough.

Comment

• JoeMama
          Emotion Sickness
          • Oct 2002

Ryan Fitzpatrick #leadership
          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
            I'm so glad the Bills thought so much of Fitzputrid that they signed him to a multi year contract last year. I felt sick for a week after hearing the news. What a piece of crap quarterback. Great guy, bad quarterback. I wish he was talented, he is the perfect guy for Buffalo but he isn't good enough.
            I couldn't believe it either. I was all for him going into last season as the starter and even after a great start I wanted the season to play out before committing to him on a long-term contract with 24 million in guaranteed money. The Bills jumped the gun on one good month like they did with Dick Jauron. Instead of realizing he can't keep up that pace and waiting to see how more the season played out they panicked once again and showed him the money too soon.

Now that they gave him all the money they feel stuck to having to play him for a season or two so they can get something for the money they spent unless a cheap better option comes around. My guess is they will finally bite the bullet and draft a QB in next years draft. Depending on how high he's drafted he may see some action in the middle of the 2013 season if we're still losing then. If they don't draft one then they should be fired on the spot for showing complete incompetence by not hedging their bets at all on a better option.

Unfortunately Gailey will probably still be around unless we totally choke going down the stretch. Even then Nix will probably still be GM unless he steps down. Even if both of them are gone I don't have any confidence in Wilson finding or forking out the money for a good coach or GM anyway. It's just a revolving door of cheap people to run the ship.

Comment

• JoeMama
              Emotion Sickness
              • Oct 2002

Also I get where he's coming from.'

It's hard to keep pace with 5 consecutive touchdowns scored on an overrated prima donna defense.
              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                Also I get where he's coming from.'

It's hard to keep pace with 5 consecutive touchdowns scored on an overrated prima donna defense.
                Of course he wouldn't be able to keep up the pace to match that. Not many QB's could but at the very least he could've had some decent drives to give the defense a rest and keep the Patriots offense off the field. Him and the playcalling was terrible in the 2nd half. We just kept throwing the ball and punting after several plays or so. Fitzpatrick had many opportunities in the 2nd half to weather the storm and put some points on the board, chew up some time on the clock and keep the Patriots off the field but he couldn't do it. He had some horrible throws to wide open receivers before it got out of hand and while the game was still on the line.

Comment

• gebobs
                  One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                  • Sep 2003

I think this is great! I wholeheartedly agree with Fitz.
                  Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • May 2009

It makes me sick all over again, we have a gutless qb who doesn't want the game to have to come down to him. What a waste.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

I couldn't believe it when I heard him say that on the radio. I meant to post it sooner but finally thought of it and got around to it. Even if that's how you truly feel I can't believe he would actually admit it to the media. I can imagine what his teammates think when their starting QB confesses that he doesn't want the ball in his hands to win the game.

Comment

• jcdavey
                        • Dec 2006

i know you guys hate rivers, or at least i assume you do

but what i've always loved about rivers, even when he's playing like crap , is that he wants that ball at the end, and he will never throw any of his teammates under the bus

a rivers answer to that question that fitz answered , would have gone something like "we obviously want them to play, but we have guys that will step up and we'll just need to execute, and i've got to make better decisions in the passing game"

Comment

• starrymessenger
                          • Oct 2009

Sounds to me like his time as a starter is just about up.

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

Philip Rivers

Bad year and a half for the kid, but he's a fantastic quarterback.

No WRs, a constantly injured TE, a patchy o-line, the most inept HC besides Gailey, etc etc.

If we could find a way to get Rivers, I'd sell our team's collective soul to the devil.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                              This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                              • Feb 2009

You are the QB. You are the center of the team. But you want the defense and run game to win the game so you can collect your $60 million bucks and look like a hero because QBs get all the credit for winning.

We don't want the game to come down to you either because you have proven that it shouldn't.
                              True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X