PDA

View Full Version : Critical Analysis of Chan Gailey

Mike
10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Critical Analysis of Chan Gailey

After nearly 3 years on the job is time for some refection. When Gailey was first hired, much of the fan base was supportive after the Bills failed, once again, to lure a top HC candidate. Gailey came into town, and his southern charm and direct approach resinated with the fan base after years of listening the FO and Jauron beat around the bush. So three years after taking over, how are the Bills doing? Was it an upgrade, downgrade or a horizontal move?

Talent Evaluation:

If you watch the NFL closely, you will notice that most often teams specialize in evaluating a certain type of talent. For instance at one point the Bills were great at picking CBs. In the 1990's to early 2000's they hit on Nate Clements, Burris, Winfield, Jones, Smith, etc... however they could not draft a RB to save their life. I remember Bills nation waiting for the Bills to draft a legit RB and instead the Bills drafted A. Smith and in the process passing on PB RBs like Dillion and Barber. Well, boys this regime is no different at all, and unlike the top talent evaluators our expertise is very small indeed.

Excellent:

RB: Now all of the sudden we are great at evaluating RB talent, just look at our Rbs of the past decade: Spiller, Jackson, Lynch, McGahee, Henry all of whom are Pro Bowl esq.

Much Improved

O-Line: After year of strugling with our O-Line Gailey and his coaches know how to evaluate O-Line Talent.

NO Improvement:

TE/WR: This position remains unchanged. With Jaroun we had WR issues and 3 years later we still have them.
D-Line: Both Regimes have had a hard time drafting/developing DE talent.
QB: I believe Chan get more out of his QB however the talent is still not there, even after 3 years. There were opportunities, like drafting Dalton in the 2nd instead of A. Williams.

Taken A Step Back

Defensive Backs: Overall, Jaroun was decent with DB picks. He missed majorly on a few, but even those players turnout out to be ok players, such as Whitner. Greer was a good find, McGee was drafted in 4th round, Byrd was the word and surprised the NFL and set records with 9ints as a rookie, and B. Scott is a great UFA find. These days, were having a harder and harder time drafting and developing DBs. Aaron Williams looks overmatched, and the rest of the CBs are too younge to evaluate.
LB: Back in the DJ times our LB were better.
Special Teams: They are not special anymore

Game Planning/Coaching:

Improvements:
Offensive side of the Ball: Gailey has been able to turn a team of 'No Names', undrafted players into a unit that can score -unlike previous regimes- and compete. He is getting great results and is optimizing the talent he has.

Regression:
Defense: Defense has regressed each year since he has taken the job
Special Teams: Some regression as the Bills do not return as many kick offs/punts and have given up more.

X-Factor:
D.Jaroun was far more capable of getting his players to really play for him. Albeit most of his teams lacked talent and struggled. Being a defensive minded coach, his D units were above average to good while his Offenses struggled both in Buffalo and Chicago.
Gailey: he has been great at turning an awful offense into something decent and in the process turing the O-Line into one of the best in the NFL, however his team has regressed in all of the other areas.

Conclusion: Horizontal Move

gebobs
10-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Divisional performance: Jauron 8-16, Gailey 2-12
Overall performance: Jauron 27-37, Gailey 12-24

Edge Skeletor

JoeMama
10-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I can't look at the divisional record under Gailey without...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/cry3.gif

2slowtogofast
10-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Going by what counts (wins) Jauron is a better coach than Chan. I don't care what anyone says the only measure of a coaches or teams success is wins. An Chan falls short

JoeMama
10-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I went into a rage-filled, anger-fueled psychosis when Gailey was hired.

Armed with a litany of facts, statistics, and arguments that he was the wrong guy for the job, I was a man on an internet warpath.

Since then, I've softened my stance under the pretense, "maybe it's healthy to be positive?"

Or maybe positivity is overrated and myopia makes me look stupid.

Philagape
10-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Strategy/creativity: Chan
In-game adjustments: Chan
Talent evaluation: Chan
Player motivation: Dick
Choice of staff: wash (both horrible)

BillsFever21
10-02-2012, 10:32 PM
They both sucked but I have to go with Jauron. We won more games with less talent and had a better record in our division. It wasn't as fun to watch(if losing can be) because his offensive philosophy was about as exciting as going to the opera but even with how bad he was his record is better then Gailey's.

Philagape
10-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Trent Edwards' record is better than Fitz's, does that make him a better QB?

Mike
10-02-2012, 10:41 PM
I went into a rage-filled, anger-fueled psychosis when Gailey was hired.

Armed with a litany of facts, statistics, and arguments that he was the wrong guy for the job, I was a man on an internet warpath.

Since then, I've softened my stance under the pretense, "maybe it's healthy to be positive?"

Or maybe positivity is overrated and myopia makes me look stupid.

When Chan was hired, i too went into an offensive rage using stats, track record, etc... to illustrate the poor hire. Some of our rose colored glasses friends preferred to keep the hope alive as I watched on the sidelines and lamented the move. At that time, I predicted that one day, not too far into the future, many on this board would lament the days of D.Jaroun and realize that in fact -as bad as he was- he was in fact the better overall coach. All of this being said, the last 3 years have been far more entertaining than the previous 3, so on that basis alone I prefer Chan. If your going to lose anyway, might as well be entertaining.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Ultimately, the problem with both Chan AND Jauron is that they are overpromoted coordinators. Each of them, individually, can run a great unit. But head coaching seems to be too much for them. Didn't Jauron call the defensive plays, too?

Divisional performance: Jauron 8-16, Gailey 2-12
Overall performance: Jauron 27-37, Gailey 12-24

Edge Skeletor

To be fair, Jauron had the benefit of playing the Jets when they were godawful, they were four of his division wins.

imbondz
10-03-2012, 01:06 AM
i'd rather lose 58 - 28 than 25 - 6. So I voted for Chan.

gebobs
10-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Trent Edwards' record is better than Fitz's, does that make him a better QB?
Trent Edwards wasn't in control of the whole team. I think it's pretty well established that the team was better defensively under Jauron so any success they had was not due to Edwards or the offense.

gebobs
10-03-2012, 02:24 AM
To be fair, Jauron had the benefit of playing the Jets when they were godawful, they were four of his division wins.
And Gailey has had the benefit of playing the Dolphins when they are lousy. He's 1-3 against them. Three of their 13 wins the last 2 years were against the Bills.

To be clear. I did not vote. Both of these guys are awful.

kishoph
10-03-2012, 04:58 AM
Good post OP, but there are a couple of things that I see different.
TE's - From Robert Royal and Derek Schouman to Scott Chandler, there is absolutely no comparisons. I can't understand the lack of respect Chandler gets. A knock on him is he hasn't been able to get down field, but not only does he lead the league in TD's (4TD's in 4 games), he also has one of the higher avg. at 14.6 yds. The upgrade at TE is huge.
D-line - Jauron's last year here, the line consisted of a 32 yr. old Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Spencer Johnson and Marcus Stroud. Kelsay and Johnson are now backups to a line consisting of Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Mario Williams and Mark Anderson. Although they have not yet clicked, this line has great potential to be a top line in the league.
Defense - In 09 Jauron's defense ranked 30th in the league, Gailey's 1st year here they improved to 25th, in 2011, they moved up to 14th overall, and this season, despite 2 horrible games they are the 11th ranked defense after 4 games. How much of this reflects on Gailey is questionable though, since Gailey does not involve himself in the defense (I'm sure he does to some extent, but otherwise leaves the defense up to the DC).
X-Factor - Jauron failed to get high draft picks to produce, while Gailey is making a team out of late round and undrafted picks. Motivation/fire, both coaches lack in this area IMO, Jauron had the personality of a corpse and his teams looked that way also, Gailey seems like too much of a nice guy, play fair, play clean and his teams seem to lack any nastiness or killer instinct.
Overall I would take Gailey hands down over Jauron. There was nothing I liked about Jauron or his coaching. With Gailey there are only a few things that I don't like and they could be changed by him being a little tougher with his coaches and players and start holding them accountable.

YardRat
10-03-2012, 05:53 AM
It's all in who is running the shows, as in the coordinators. Quit hiring no-names for OTJT and washed up, never-were's to gameplan every week and we'll start winning some games on a more consistent basis.

Philagape
10-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Trent Edwards wasn't in control of the whole team. I think it's pretty well established that the team was better defensively under Jauron so any success they had was not due to Edwards or the offense.

So you're saying that multiple factors go into winning and losing. I agree.

jdaltroy5
10-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Would you rather get kicked in the stomach or punched in the face?

gebobs
10-03-2012, 09:10 AM
So you're saying that multiple factors go into winning and losing. I agree.
Of course there is. But at some point, Gailey has to be held accountable.