PDA

View Full Version : What are Travis Jacksons Limitations?

Mike
10-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Looking at Fitz and the missed opportunities and mistakes how much worst can Travis be?

Can anyone write up a short critical entertaining synopses of Travis, his strengths, weaknesses and comparison to Fitz?

JoeMama
10-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Tarvaris Jackson has been terrible.

I have no love for Fitz but this guy is not the answer.

Mouldsie
10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Hold's the ball too long/poor internal clock. Pocket awareness is lacking. Not as quick to make a decision

I do respect what he did last year taking Seattle on a nice run at the end of the year with a torn pec. Maybe he's a better player than the Minn version

zone
10-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Hold's the ball too long/poor internal clock. Pocket awareness is lacking. Not as quick to make a decision

I do respect what he did last year taking Seattle on a nice run at the end of the year with a torn pec. Maybe he's a better player than the Minn version

I would rather have Fitz a thousand times more than J.P. Lossman again or scared Trent Edwards for that matter. We may not be an elite team but at least the offense is fun to watch at times, the defense is a whole other story.

YardRat
10-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Face it...for whatever reasoning Gailey has, barring another epic collapse we're riding Fitz for the rest of this season and Thigpen will probably remain the #2.

jdaltroy5
10-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Who the hell is Travis Jackson and why do I care what his limitations are?

Night Train
10-03-2012, 06:51 AM
What are Travis Jacksons Limitations?

Playing for the Bills.. ( rimshot)

Thanks. I'm here all week. Try the veal..

Mr. Pink
10-03-2012, 07:11 AM
His limitations are he's stuck 3rd on the depth chart behind Gailey favorite Pigpen.

Trading for him was a waste both for the Bills franchise and Jackson personally.

OpIv37
10-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I was actually wondering this myself. Late in the game, it was a blowout and Fitz had already thrown 3 picks. Why not let Jackson get in there? Fitz ended up throwing another pick anyway, so it's not like Jackson could have done worse.

OpIv37
10-03-2012, 09:02 AM
And no, I don't foster any delusions that Tarvaris Jackson is the answer. I just don't see the point of leaving Fitz in a game that's out of hand where he's playing like absolute garbage. It's disconcerting that even Gailey has such little faith in our back-ups, especially since one was hand-picked from Gailey's former team.

GingerP
10-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Looking at Fitz and the missed opportunities and mistakes how much worst can Travis be?

Can anyone write up a short critical entertaining synopses of Travis, his strengths, weaknesses and comparison to Fitz?

Weaknesses: Elongated release, not great at reading defenses, not especially accurate.

Pluses: Athletic, strong arm. Can keep plays alive and throw on the run.

OpIv37
10-03-2012, 09:17 AM
What I've gathered from this thread: Fitz is slightly better in the pocket, Jackson has a stronger arm. Other than that, they're exactly the same: inaccurate passers who don't make quick decisions but can keep plays alive with their feet.

ServoBillieves
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
He was a waste of a draft pick. That's the answer.

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Did it when he was traded for;
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/08/qb-tarvaris-jackson-scouting-report/

Negatives:
Locks onto his primary target too often. Holds the ball too long and lacks decisiveness on quick, timing plays (i.e. 3-step drops, slant routes, quick outs, etc.), often resulting in a pocket flush and unnecessary improvisation. Despite possessing athleticism and mobility to escape the pocket, he lacks a strong feel for pressure around him, and takes sacks too easily. Needs play action or shotgun to put together any kind of consistent passing rhythm, as these plays allow him to see the field better and buy more time. Slow through progressions, and can’t be counted on to consistently get the ball out on time when asked to lead his target. Will abandon footwork and mechanics under pressure, and too often throws off balance leading to a sail on the stick routes, or excessive loft and underthrow on vertical routes. Went into the 4th quarter of several games with a chance to win in 2011, but couldn’t finish with winning drives.

Positives and Summary also in that link.

zone
10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Did it when he was traded for;
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/08/qb-tarvaris-jackson-scouting-report/

Positives and Summary also in that link.

Sounds amazing.

Jan Reimers
10-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Obviously, his first name. Much like "Jarius" Byrd.

trapezeus
10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
i'm not looking to see Tavaris jackson succeed. I am looking for him to fail during this season. The reason being is that the bills will use him as the answer next year when they bail on Fitz. "see, we traded for him because we liked him. 2013 is his. We are passing on a QB".

I have no trust in any QB on this roster. IN some ways, i wouldn't even mind seeing Brad Smith toss the ball around.

But hte bills have a way to simply not address this issue. and they'll continue to dress up **** and call it steak and ask for us to eat it. This season is clearly a waste. 100 points in 2 games to teams you should know initimately since you play them so frequently? This team doesn't have it. Don't make me lose 2013 as well.

The bills either need to trade every pick for the first qb pick (though i don't like barkley), or they need to do a law of averages draft where they take a QB with every pick under the assumption that one of these guys has to turn out ok.

mrbojanglezs
10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
chan gailey and his love affair for fitz and pigpen

stuckincincy
10-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Good analysis - not much more need be said. Can pass, can scramble, but is a ditherer. Fits the bill for clubs that want a 3rd qb on the roster. Which to me, makes little sense these days. Unless you have a fat lead when you bring in that 3rd - they are already shoveling the dirt on your coffin.

Bulldog
10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I was actually wondering this myself. Late in the game, it was a blowout and Fitz had already thrown 3 picks. Why not let Jackson get in there? Fitz ended up throwing another pick anyway, so it's not like Jackson could have done worse.

I wondered the same thing, then I realized he wasn't even dressed for the game. And based on what Gailey has said, that will probably be the case for the remainder of the season barring injury. Not that I really care about unloading a seventh round pick, but why bother trading for the guy at all if he's not even going to dress? Considering the starting QB sees the vast majority of the snaps during practice in the regular season, it's pretty unlikely that he's gaining any valuable experience in Chan's system. I'm down with 2-14 and Geno Smith on draft day. Real tired of having scrubs manning the most important position on the field. It's deplorable that Nix and Gailey have ignored this critical position for three drafts in a row. In the end, my guess is this will cost them their jobs.

OpIv37
10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I wondered the same thing, then I realized he wasn't even dressed for the game. And based on what Gailey has said, that will probably be the case for the remainder of the season barring injury. Not that I really care about unloading a seventh round pick, but why bother trading for the guy at all if he's not even going to dress? Considering the starting QB sees the vast majority of the snaps during practice in the regular season, it's pretty unlikely that he's gaining any valuable experience in Chan's system. I'm down with 2-14 and Geno Smith on draft day. Real tired of having scrubs manning the most important position on the field. It's deplorable that Nix and Gailey have ignored this critical position for three drafts in a row. In the end, my guess is this will cost them their jobs.

Agreed.

Well, I'd rather not be 2-14. But I agree with the rest of it.

Ed
10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
His biggest limitation is that he was brought in way too late to get any off-season work in and now that the season has started they can't afford to give him practice reps. So he doesn't really know the offense and he doesn't have the opportunities to properly learn it and develop chemistry with his teammates.

This was just a bad trade that doesn't really benefit anyone. They probably would have been better off just keeping Vince Young, or using his roster spot at another position.

Even if we're 3-6 after the next NE game they're not going to give up on Fitz with the schedule getting easier.

stuckincincy
10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
His biggest limitation is that he was brought in way too late to get any off-season work in and now that the season has started they can't afford to give him practice reps. So he doesn't really know the offense and he doesn't have the opportunities to properly learn it and develop chemistry with his teammates.

This was just a bad trade that doesn't really benefit anyone. They probably would have been better off just keeping Vince Young, or using his roster spot at another position.

Even if we're 3-6 after the next NE game they're not going to give up on Fitz with the schedule getting easier.

Well, I think BUF should have tossed in Thigpen against NE. AFAIK, several of Fitz' ints were tips. That happens. But when the avalanche started and BUF was knee deep in the snow, make the change. I strongly disagree with this popular BS about shaking a starting qb's ego and confidence if he gets yanked. I'm the HC, he works for me. I have 52 other players to worry about.

If the snow continued to bury BUF, I'd yank Pig and put in Jackson if he was on the active roster.

Bottom line: You are the HC. The leader. You may have your parapets overrun. Happens. A good General never lets the troops think that he's not in command, and if need be, resorts to last-ditch measures. If you don't, forget morale in the next battle.

Ed
10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Well, I think BUF should have tossed in Thigpen against NE. AFAIK, several of Fitz' ints were tips. That happens. But when the avalanche started and BUF was knee deep in the snow, make the change. I strongly disagree with this popular BS about shaking a starting qb's ego and confidence if he gets yanked. I'm the HC, he works for me. I have 52 other players to worry about.

If the snow continued to bury BUF, I'd yank Pig and put in Jackson if he was on the active roster.

Bottom line: You are the HC. The leader. You may have your parapets overrun. Happens. A good General never lets the troops think that he's not in command, and if need be, resorts to last-ditch measures. If you don't, forget morale in the next battle.
What's the point of putting in Thigpen in that game? He's not some young prospect we have any hopes for. He's just a scrub backup that got to keep his job by default. You're acting like Fitz was struggling bad and the reason we lost. He still had 4 TD's and 350 yards. It's not like he wasn't making plays for us, he had some of his best throws in that game. Should CJ and Fred have been benched for their crucial fumbles? If we're going to bench anyone, why not the whole defense after it became clear that they packed it in? With about 20 minutes left in the game the defense got rolled for 40+ points, but you want bench Fitz for Thigpen? That would have done nothing for morale, it would have just made this team look more hopeless and pathetic than it already did.

Ingtar33
10-04-2012, 05:28 PM

he's basically Trent Edwards with a little more downfield vision and boldness and less short ranged accuracy. the result is he's basically (statistically) identical

TigerJ
10-04-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't think I can add anything specific to the profile of Tarvaris Jackson. He's a flawed QB like the other QBs on the Bills roster. Maybe Gailey could tweak the offense to cover up some of his flaws, but it sure would be nice to have a QB that he didn't have to do that for.

BertSquirtgum
10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Tarvaris Jackson has been terrible.

I have no love for Fitz but this guy is not the answer.

He's better than Fitz.

Bill Cody
10-05-2012, 08:50 AM
ok so we all know Pig Pen stinks. That we have no chance to win if he's in the game. And we know we're a month in and Jackson is still in street clothes for the games. Is it time to ask if Jackson's limitation is that he's Vince Young Jr and he's too dumb to learn the ****ing playbook? Because I can't make any other sense of this situation. Jackson should be starting this week never mind backing up. Why? Because Fitz makes more turnovers than Entemann's, that's why.