PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Answering the $100 Million Question

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 07:30 AM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/10/answering-the-100-million-question/

Bills fans are currently experiencing one of the fiercest debates of their early season and believe it or not, it has nothing to do with either the coaching staff or embattled QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. Instead it has to do with the league’s newest $100 Million Dollar Man in DE Mario Williams.

malvado78
10-03-2012, 07:50 AM
You are doing a great job with the articles on your site. They are the only Bills related articles that I take the time to read these days. Keep up the good work!

Mahdi
10-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Can someone post this on Mario's twitter account please. Send it to Wanny too.

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 08:03 AM
You are doing a great job with the articles on your site. They are the only Bills related articles that I take the time to read these days. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! That means a lot to me and I couldn't do any of this without some great people behind the scenes and some great fellow writers who joined the team this year. Mostly though I couldn't have ever started a website without the support of mainly the people here on the Zone who have had to put up with me since its inception and still deal with me. Thank you again.

jdaltroy5
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Very good article.

It's just kinda depressing to know that our 100 million dollar 27 year old DE still has technique issues.

I know technique is something that has to be maintained and is constantly evolving, but you would think D'Alessandris or Mario himself would've picked up on that in pre-season.

OpIv37
10-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Something about this doesn't add up. Why did Mario stop "flipping his hips?" Was he doing it before and for some reason isn't doing it now? Or was he able to have success without doing it in the past? And if he was successful without doing it in the past, is that really the issue?

justasportsfan
10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Marrio proved the naysayers wrong in Houston when he was the no.1 pick. Now he is being called out by bills fans. It's interesting to see if he'll rise to the occasion.

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Something about this doesn't add up. Why did Mario stop "flipping his hips?" Was he doing it before and for some reason isn't doing it now? Or was he able to have success without doing it in the past? And if he was successful without doing it in the past, is that really the issue?

He's stopped doing it. Just like any athlete that has ever played sports above a pee wee level, you're technique is something that needs to be constantly monitored and dealt with. That's why when hitters go into slumps, or any professional player starts to struggle they go back to the tape to watch what they are doing and what they may be doing wrong.

For as easy as these guys make it look this game is very difficult, and sometimes your technique will slip some. Maybe he got complacent, maybe its something he's working on transitioning from a 34 OLB back to a 43 DE. The important thing to note is that he's been successful with it before and its a workable issue. Now let's see if he can identify the same issue that Steve White did.

Historian
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
No wonders Kelsay wouldn't give up his number...

OpIv37
10-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Marrio proved the naysayers wrong in Houston when he was the no.1 pick. Now he is being called out by bills fans. It's interesting to see if he'll rise to the occasion.

I hope he does. But the money's already in the bank, so he may not see it that way.

Ed
10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
What does he mean by "flipping his hips?"

I guess what's encouraging is that he thinks his problems are easily fixable, but what bothers me is the issues with effort. How can you be highest paid defensive player in the league and not giving max effort?

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
What does he mean by "flipping his hips?"

I guess what's encouraging is that he thinks his problems are easily fixable, but what bothers me is the issues with effort. How can you be highest paid defensive player in the league and not giving max effort?

Basically his hips are staying parrallel to the line of scrimmage, instead of flipping them inside toward the pocket. This gives the OT a large target to hit and causes you to have to bring your outside arm all the way across your body to try and disengage which is tough. If he turns his hips into the pocket more he can better protect his chest plate and shorten the distance his arms need to travel. Also this will help increase his power and drive into the pocket.

coastal
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Or he's just not a very good football player.

just sayin'

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 12:00 PM

just sayin'

Yea we know your argument already.

coastal
10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Yea we know your argument already.
The same argument I've had since before he was even rumored to be coming here...

But then you know that too.

:D

stuckincincy
10-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Basically his hips are staying parrallel to the line of scrimmage, instead of flipping them inside toward the pocket. This gives the OT a large target to hit and causes you to have to bring your outside arm all the way across your body to try and disengage which is tough. If he turns his hips into the pocket more he can better protect his chest plate and shorten the distance his arms need to travel. Also this will help increase his power and drive into the pocket.

I was glad that BUF made the commitment, but was leery about the $ and his injury history. He did squat in the pre-season, which I wondered about as well as the (injury) history. Yes, limited time, but it's also showcase time for the new employers and fans.

HOU didn't exactly jump over the moon with an effort to re-ink him.

Hips straight, hands out. He knows that's not how the DE position is played. It's inconceivable that the BUF coaching staff hasn't noticed that and told him to change it.

Seems to me that what he is doing is protecting himself against injury and protecting his portfolio. Hope I'm wrong, but so far...

Joe Fo Sho
10-03-2012, 12:32 PM

just sayin'

kishoph
10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Williams yet. What gets me is the people that are bashing the Bills for signing Williams and paying him that money, are the same people that would be screaming that Ralph is a cheap bastard if the Bills couldn't sign him and he went elsewhere.

OpIv37
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Williams yet. What gets me is the people that are bashing the Bills for signing Williams and paying him that money, are the same people that would be screaming that Ralph is a cheap bastard if the Bills couldn't sign him and he went elsewhere.

Not really sure what you're getting at.

They are two different issues: not spending money and spending money wisely.

The team is supposed to have scouting and player personnel departments that can determine when a player is worth the money. If they fail to sign a good player because Ralph is cheap, they failed. If they spend a lot of money on a player who doesn't perform, they still failed. It's one thing to refuse to spend money on a player out of cheapness. It's another thing to not spend the money because the player isn't worth it.

If Mario was playing well, NO ONE would be complaining about the money.

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I was glad that BUF made the commitment, but was leery about the $ and his injury history. He did squat in the pre-season, which I wondered about as well as the (injury) history. Yes, limited time, but it's also showcase time for the new employers and fans.

HOU didn't exactly jump over the moon with an effort to re-ink him.

Hips straight, hands out. He knows that's not how the DE position is played. It's inconceivable that the BUF coaching staff hasn't noticed that and told him to change it.

Seems to me that what he is doing is protecting himself against injury and protecting his portfolio. Hope I'm wrong, but so far...

Well he made mention again today of the wrist issue, and if his torn pectoral muscle is still giving him issue that would explain his tendency to turn his hips in, but Im simply speculating with no way of confirming. Im happy they spent the money, even if Mario is a complete busts it at least signals some intiative to the rest of the owners and players that we can and will get who we go after no matter how big a star.

stuckincincy
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Well he made mention again today of the wrist issue, and if his torn pectoral muscle is still giving him issue that would explain his tendency to turn his hips in, but Im simply speculating with no way of confirming. Im happy they spent the money, even if Mario is a complete busts it at least signals some intiative to the rest of the owners and players that we can and will get who we go after no matter how big a star.

A one-year minimum $50M fixed cost 6 year contract plus whatever this year's salary and benefits costs accrue to, is a lot of coin to expend for the nebulous promise of future goodwill.

So we wait and see. :popcorn:

coastal
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Well he made mention again today of the wrist issue, and if his torn pectoral muscle is still giving him issue that would explain his tendency to turn his hips in, but Im simply speculating with no way of confirming. Im happy they spent the money, even if Mario is a complete busts it at least signals some intiative to the rest of the owners and players that we can and will get who we go after no matter how big a star.why r people so willing to give players and the organization pass after pass?

its been 13 years since we've been in the playoffs!

do u realize the laundry list of bad decisions that go into that achievement?

mario was the wrong signing at the wrong time for the wrong reasons.

Unless u change your perspective and see what OBD financials look like after season tickets renewed and games sold out. Change your perspective to that and you'll see who actually benefited from the signing.

DraftBoy
10-03-2012, 02:41 PM
why r people so willing to give players and the organization pass after pass?

its been 13 years since we've been in the playoffs!

do u realize the laundry list of bad decisions that go into that achievement?

mario was the wrong signing at the wrong time for the wrong reasons.

Unless u change your perspective and see what OBD financials look like after season tickets renewed and games sold out. Change your perspective to that and you'll see who actually benefited from the signing.

Whose getting a pass? You want everybody to condemn the move after four games, nobody is saying he's been good, nobody is saying he's really hurt bad and needs time. When did we stop giving players time to get aclimated and set before immediately saying they suck or rock? I get it, you're jaded after years of being **** on by this management group and I don't blame you but that doesn't mean you should lose all prespective. Let's at least attempt to operate in some kind of reality.

GingerP
10-03-2012, 02:48 PM

I asked Albert Haynesworth, but he had no idea.

I wonder what is wrong with Anderson's hips. I know he only makes 1/4th the money, but he hasn't done squat either, unless you are thrilled with his 4-sack-season pace.

Maybe these guys need to do some yoga.

Bill Cody
10-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Don't worry we have a contingency plan. If Mario doesn't shape up soon we're going to trade him for a 4th.

stuckincincy
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Whose getting a pass? You want everybody to condemn the move after four games, nobody is saying he's been good, nobody is saying he's really hurt bad and needs time. When did we stop giving players time to get aclimated and set before immediately saying they suck or rock? I get it, you're jaded after years of being **** on by this management group and I don't blame you but that doesn't mean you should lose all prespective. Let's at least attempt to operate in some kind of reality.

???

Mario Williams is now in his 7th year in the NFL. Played in 4 PS games with his new team. Countless practice sessions. He's far beyond having any problems with being acclimated with the BUF defensive scheme. If he's truly injured, ok. If the BUF staff feels he will eventually work through such and deliver as paid for, good. Better be soon. After 4 games, he barely rates as a starting DE on any club.

I'd give him the SF game. If he doesn't play at least halfway decent, he's on the bench until he shows in practice that he can merit game day playing. If he's really injured - that's what IR is for.

Ed
10-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah he has been playing with a cast on his wrist so maybe that's annoying or bothering him enough that it's messing with his overall technique. Like you said before, technique is something you have to work hard at and be conscious of, so the wrist issue could definitely be a distraction for him. Any word on if this is going to be a lingering problem for him all season, or is it expected to heal soon?

BillsFever21
10-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I never believed he was worth the money he received since he only had 2 great seasons in his career and his production was going down while his injuries were going up the past few seasons.

With that said I haven't given up on him being a total waste. He's just not a destructive force and top DE in the league right now. He's good but he wasn't worth that kind of money. He's not a Jared Allen that can still wreak havoc even if he's double teamed half of the game.

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Ask yourselves this, was Mario ever considered the best defensive player in the league or the best pass rusher? We drastically overpaid because this team was desperate. Desperate to land a big name, desperate to be relevant. This is the type of **** the Redskins pulled every year. He wasn't a leader on the Texans, ask anybody, or just read what Lance Z wrote when we signed him. He's always been good against the run but that's been MIA since preseason.

The logical fan understood this was gross overpayment, and Mario wasn't in the same class as some of the elite pass rushers, but what we didn't expect is what we're currently getting. Mario came in a bit over his normal weight, he's been complaining about injuries (something a buddy of mine indicated he would do when **** didn't go his way, did it in Houston).

We basically paid a King's ransom for a guy who may not be better than Aaron Schobel, Schobel never had a capable DE playing across from him. Aaron had more sacks in his first 6 seasons than Mario did, Mario's clearly better against the run, Schobel always had issues with it. But from a sack stand point, Aaron had him beat. Schobel at one time had sacked Brady more than any other player, think Taylor holds that distinction now.

BuffaloRumblings has a write up on this past weekends run defense or lack there of. We are split so wide on the DL. No one is playing over the center, how the hell do you stop the run when you're that far apart and only have one true LB playing. Just awful.

jamze132
10-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Nice job DB!

GingerP
10-04-2012, 06:55 AM
He wasn't a leader on the Texans, ask anybody, or just read what Lance Z wrote when we signed him.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/03/for-bills-fans-a-scouting-report-on-mario-williams/

Historian
10-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Maybe these guys need to do some yoga.

Oh cut him a little slack...his wrist hurts!

Mahdi
10-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Well, there it is and it was as expected. Mario is struggling because he can't properly engage the OT. He needs his wrist to play his power game and he doesn't have it obviously. People can talk all they want about him just making excuses but Mario is a PB DE and you don't just go from PB DE to useless, even in Buffalo.

I think he should take this game off to heal because most of it is going to be defending the run anyway. We can go with Kelsay and Carrington outside, and Anderson on 2nd and 3rd down.

DraftBoy
10-04-2012, 09:01 AM
BuffaloRumblings has a write up on this past weekends run defense or lack there of. We are split so wide on the DL. No one is playing over the center, how the hell do you stop the run when you're that far apart and only have one true LB playing. Just awful.

In our 43 alignment we are not going to have a DT over the center very often. They are going to align in the A gaps. Not sure why you'd want a DT covering up the center in our scheme.

OpIv37
10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
In our 43 alignment we are not going to have a DT over the center very often. They are going to align in the A gaps. Not sure why you'd want a DT covering up the center in our scheme.

Here's the problem: we were in nickel most of the game to counter the Pats' passing game. And the MLB in a C2 usually stays back and covers the middle of the field against the pass.

So, if we have no one on the center, and only 2 LB's, and one of the 2 is mid-level pass defense, who exactly is supposed to cover all that space?

Clearly the Bills weren't doing it and didn't do anything to adjust.

stuckincincy
10-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Oh cut him a little slack...his wrist hurts!

A dollar bill weighs 1 gram.

50,000,000 dollar bills = 50,000,000 gm. X 0.0022463 lb/gm = 110,231 lb.

My wrist would hurt too, if I hauled that away. :$:

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Not saying we're playing a 4-3 under, but many 4-3 schemes, especially the under, have someone playing some sort of shade on the Center, we're leaving him completely uncovered.

Look at this.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1478813/run2_1.png
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1478733/run3_3.png

How do we stop the run when the center gets to do whatever he wants.

DraftBoy
10-05-2012, 09:17 AM
???

Mario Williams is now in his 7th year in the NFL. Played in 4 PS games with his new team. Countless practice sessions. He's far beyond having any problems with being acclimated with the BUF defensive scheme. If he's truly injured, ok. If the BUF staff feels he will eventually work through such and deliver as paid for, good. Better be soon. After 4 games, he barely rates as a starting DE on any club.

I'd give him the SF game. If he doesn't play at least halfway decent, he's on the bench until he shows in practice that he can merit game day playing. If he's really injured - that's what IR is for.

He's never played in Cover 2 43 scheme before this season if Im recalling correctly. He played in a 43 with man principles that asked for gap responsibility early in his career, then the 34, and now this 43.

DraftBoy
10-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Not saying we're playing a 4-3 under, but many 4-3 schemes, especially the under, have someone playing some sort of shade on the Center, we're leaving him completely uncovered.

Look at this.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1478813/run2_1.png
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1478733/run3_3.png

How do we stop the run when the center gets to do whatever he wants.

They are running the Wide 9 technique with 1 DE in the first one and both in the 2nd. What's the down and distance calls on those photos?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the problem: we were in nickel most of the game to counter the Pats' passing game. And the MLB in a C2 usually stays back and covers the middle of the field against the pass.

So, if we have no one on the center, and only 2 LB's, and one of the 2 is mid-level pass defense, who exactly is supposed to cover all that space?

Clearly the Bills weren't doing it and didn't do anything to adjust.

That I won't argue, you just hope your MLB is smart enough in his awareness to know when its a run and he needs to fill or a pass and he can drop.

kingJofNYC
10-05-2012, 10:30 AM
They didn't give down/distance but it wouldn't shock me if it was first or second down, don't recall the Pats having many 3rd and long situations in the second half.