PDA

View Full Version : Does Dareus have a motivation or focus issue?

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 11:34 AM
So I avoided the Monday press conferences for a few days, didn't want to hear the same old ****, but was bored this morning and decided to listen.

Mark Gaughan, sounded like him anyway, said one of Dareus' teammates offered up the following "He has the potential to be a superstar if he wants to be, but you have to keep on him both on and off the field." Gaughan asked Chan if that statement is true, Chan said the following "No, I don't believe so." Then he rambled about how his focus isn't always on the defense, we figured that one on our own Chan, but he would notice regardless.

This isn't what you want teammates saying about the #3 pick in the draft.

stuckincincy
10-04-2012, 12:00 PM
MW got 100M, 50 in walk-away cash. Wherever you work, when a new guy comes in and gets a dazzling percentage of the available $ pile, simple human nature can act.

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure a teammate would make these comments based on his play this year, 4 game sample, especially when his brother died after the second game. It's more than Mario making bank, not performing, and causing friction. This goes back to last year, train camp, etc.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I still don't know why you hate Dareus, he and Kyle are the only good players on the DL. Last year Dareus led the team in sacks, this year he looks good. I think its way to ****ing early to call Dareus a bust and I think your criticism is unfounded. Now if you would say Dareus was okay but we should have taken Dalton next I agree. Dareus was a safe, secure, blue chip pick who will play for many years at a high level in this league. He did his part on Sunday. Hate Mario Williams, don't hate Dareus because he and Kyle are the two best players on that D.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure a teammate would make these comments based on his play this year, 4 game sample, especially when his brother died after the second game. It's more than Mario making bank, not performing, and causing friction. This goes back to last year, train camp, etc.
Is this NYJUNKIE? It sounds like NYJUNKIE? Hey, like it nor not Dareus was the best player statistically speaking last year and he is one of our better players this year. This is an ignoramous thread by a possible ignoramous

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't hate Dareus.

His play hasn't been good this year. Dareus was very good last year for a rookie DT, especially since they tend to struggle as rookies. I'm just reporting what others, specifically his teammate(s), are saying in public. Hopefully he turns it around, and this just a rookie slump.

Skooby
10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't hate Dareus.

His play hasn't been good this year. Dareus was very good last year for a rookie DT, especially since they tend to struggle as rookies. I'm just reporting what others, specifically his teammate(s), are saying in public. Hopefully he turns it around, and this just a rookie slump.

It usually takes some time to get acclimated to a new DC / Scheme, so I'd just back the F-off until we see more proof one way or the other.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't hate Dareus.

Which teammate? You have a name, I didn't see it. Also, this could be to motivate him. Plus, he has some off the field stuff in his mind. Given the fact that he lost his brother in a grusome fashion he is playing quite well. Plus, its four games in. In sacks he is on pace for eight this year, which is more than he did last year, he is on pace for more passes defended, and he is a clog in the middle of the line with Kyle. The inside of the line is set, the ends well **** I would be absolutely bickering at Mario and his lazy ass.

gebobs
10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Here's the deal Gibbs...Dareus has not performed up to expectation. Plain and simple. He's not a nowhere man like Mario, but you have to admit his play is giving Bills country that nagging feeling that the Front Office overreached yet again and making a lot of people wish we angled for Locker instead.

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Ask Mark Gaughan if he's willing to divulge the players name, didn't give one, reporters don't normally out their sources.

Skooby
10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
The press is also trying to make a story for themselves, where there is no story.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Here's the deal Gibbs...Dareus has not performed up to expectation. Plain and simple. He's not a nowhere man like Mario, but you have to admit his play is giving Bills country that nagging feeling that the Front Office overreached yet again and making a lot of people wish we angled for Locker instead.

When he's with another team and ripping people apart what will you be saying?\

Oaf
10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Dareus was the only player of the first 5 picks last year not to make the Pro Bowl. Still love the pick, I'm just saying.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Dareus was the only player of the first 5 picks last year not to make the Pro Bowl. Still love the pick, I'm just saying.

How many rookie interior defensive linement do you know who make the probowl? Just saying?

BertSquirtgum
10-04-2012, 02:16 PM

I wanted aj green at #3.

PTI
10-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Never really wanted Dareus, I just don't trust these very heavy fat guys. With that said, he has only been decent, he is OK, but we need him to dominate more, at least for a 3 year window to make the pick warranted.

kingJofNYC
10-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Reading this thread in hindsight.....lots of Green/Peterson haters even though they were the two best players in the draft.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/201337-Who-would-piss-you-off-at-3/page3 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/201337-Who-would-piss-you-off-at-3/page3)

mjt328
10-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Unlike the $100 million man on his left, I've noticed that Dareus has actually faced quite a few double-teams this year.

He's not breaking into the backfield as much as Kyle Williams. But he does seem to be holding his ground.

The problem in the pass rush is that our singled-up players aren't winning battles. The problem in the running game is (mostly) our linebackers and safeties.

gebobs
10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
When he's with another team and ripping people apart what will you be saying?
What makes you say that? Is there a trend that I don't know of where top picks fail here and go on to stardom elsewhere?

ServoBillieves
10-04-2012, 05:43 PM
His brother died. Seriously, this is a thread? He blasts the middle open with Kyle almost every play. Whoever this rando' player is, I'd like to know a name. And a top 5 pick who was great last year and doing good this year, but he didn't go to the fake 'all star game' so that makes him a bust? After 1 year?! Are you people that ****ing stupid? I'm at a loss for words on this one, even though I see numerous trolls in the thread, it still annoys the hell out of me.

gebobs
10-05-2012, 12:52 AM
He wasn't great last year.

kishoph
10-05-2012, 03:15 AM
He wasn't great last year.

Dareus had 5.5 sacks last season (his rookie season), Geno Atkins led all DT's with 7.5. Dareus was also near the top in combined tackles (top 5) with 43 and also near the top in solo stops. Despite being listed as a DE in the 3-4 (hybrid, which was more of a 4-3), Dareus played mostly, if not always on the inside gaps.

I lost a brother just over a year ago and there are still times when he comes to mind and it overwhelms me, that's just one thing, Dareus receives a lot of double teams along with K. Williams. Then you also have the fact that he's in a new scheme with a new coordinator (who isn't doing a good job). An occasional blitz my help tie up a blocker. There's also the rotation, Dareus was in for only 64% of the plays against the Pats, even less the week before, I know he needs a breather every now and then, but he doesn't need to miss 1 out of 3 plays. With Spencer Johnson out this week, hopefully Dareus and K. Williams will both see more snaps. This line has 4 games together under their belts, give them a little time before labeling them all bust.

gebobs
10-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Dareus had 5.5 sacks last season (his rookie season), Geno Atkins led all DT's with 7.5. Dareus was also near the top in combined tackles (top 5) with 43 and also near the top in solo stops. Despite being listed as a DE in the 3-4 (hybrid, which was more of a 4-3), Dareus played mostly, if not always on the inside gaps.
Very capable rookie season. Not great. I suppose expectations for the #3 pick were unreasonably high.

jdaltroy5
10-05-2012, 07:41 AM
How many rookie interior defensive linement do you know who make the probowl? Just saying?
Suh.

Just saying?

It is rare, but it does happen.

I think Dareus is actually very good. Unlike Mario he ACTUALLY gets double teamed on a lot of plays and aside from last week's game, him and Williams do a VERY good job of plugging up the middle and collapsing the pocket.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Very capable rookie season. Not great. I suppose expectations for the #3 pick were unreasonably high.

Gebobers, lets kill a member of your fam, no wait I generally respect you so lets kill a member of KingJunkie's immediate family and then lets see how he does at work for the next few weeks. If I was his boss and had the same hate for him that he has for Marcell I would probably fire him for being easily distracted on the job and not putting his heart into his work. This thread is one of the single dumbest ones I've ever read on a Bills message board and that includes the stylings of NWF, JLB, Uppy, and Disco.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Suh.

Just saying?

It is rare, but it does happen.

I think Dareus is actually very good. Unlike Mario he ACTUALLY gets double teamed on a lot of plays and aside from last week's game, him and Williams do a VERY good job of plugging up the middle and collapsing the pocket.

very good, and maybe I am missing something but didn't he share a sack on Brady? Unlike Mario he actually got to Brady, and it was during meaningful play.

gebobs
10-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Gebobers, lets kill a member of your fam, no wait I generally respect you so lets kill a member of KingJunkie's immediate family and then lets see how he does at work for the next few weeks. If I was his boss and had the same hate for him that he has for Marcell I would probably fire him for being easily distracted on the job and not putting his heart into his work. This thread is one of the single dumbest ones I've ever read on a Bills message board and that includes the stylings of NWF, JLB, Uppy, and Disco.
Sure...how long do you suppose he'll be distracted then? A month. 2 months? Season's over. Here's your $5 mill. Half your contract is over.

How motivated do you think he'll be for the last two years of his contract playing for a suck ass team. He can just sleep walk through it and be off to the highest bidder, right?

OpIv37
10-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Sure...how long do you suppose he'll be distracted then? A month. 2 months? Season's over. Here's your $5 mill. Half your contract is over.

How motivated do you think he'll be for the last two years of his contract playing for a suck ass team. He can just sleep walk through it and be off to the highest bidder, right?

He can't sleep-walk completely. He has to show something if he wants a big contract. Good ole' Buffalo: the capital of contract year players.

BertSquirtgum
10-05-2012, 10:23 AM
His brother died. Seriously, this is a thread? He blasts the middle open with Kyle almost every play. Whoever this rando' player is, I'd like to know a name. And a top 5 pick who was great last year and doing good this year, but he didn't go to the fake 'all star game' so that makes him a bust? After 1 year?! Are you people that ****ing stupid? I'm at a loss for words on this one, even though I see numerous trolls in the thread, it still annoys the hell out of me.

I could consider you a troll with your constant blabbering of everyone being wrong.

Historian
10-05-2012, 10:35 AM

"People grieve in different ways Mrs. McDeere." -Gene Hackman, The Firm.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I think this is a fair question, who on the front seven -- other than Kyle Williams -- is better than Marcel Dareus? Give Dareus more than 20 games before you write him off as a wasted pick. He is blue chip and was the best player on the board at the time. He is on pace for 8 sacks this season and has knocked down a few passes, has been double teamed and plays at a position where you don't give a lot of glory plays. Also, he played through injury last year and has had to learn two different schemes in two years. I want to give him to the end of his contract before I call him a wasted pick. Now, I won't argue with anyone who thinks we should have selected a qb in 2011. With hindsight I gotta say I would have taken Andy Dalton with our second pick and gotten this team in a much better position to win a hell of a lot quicker.

gebobs
10-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I think this is a fair question, who on the front seven -- other than Kyle Williams -- is better than Marcel Dareus? Give Dareus more than 20 games before you write him off as a wasted pick.
I never said wasted. I said fans are starting to think the Bills overreached again.

He's not the one I'm truly worried about.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I never said wasted. I said fans are starting to think the Bills overreached again.

He's not the one I'm truly worried about.

Just out of curiousity, which player are you worried about? Now, you want to talk about players we overreached for I'd have to admit its Mario Williams. Even worse than reaching we overpaid. If Mario doesn't step it up he needs to be suspended for a couple weeks without pay so he can get his **** together.

JoeMama
10-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Kyle Williams remains our best defensive player, bar none.

I think highly of Marcel Dareus but I'm not going to question his motivation. He's been disruptive at times. And for God's sake, he just buried his brother two weeks ago.

I'd be completely AWOL mentally and emotionally for years if I lost one of my siblings.

I'm amazed the kid is ready and willing to play.

Cali512
10-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Dareus has been amazing this year. People are just over reacting because of the rushing performance last week but there to stupid to remember that we were top 5 in rushing D before that. Along with the fact that we werent in any defensive position to stop them from running. We were looking for pass, and it was 4 DL vs 5 OL plus a FB/TE

People were saying during the KC game, that it was the best game Dareus ever played, and our D looked good vs Cleveland the week after

jdaltroy5
10-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd be completely AWOL mentally and emotionally for years if I lost one of my siblings.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Ed
10-05-2012, 01:04 PM
So here's some quotes below from Kelsay and Barnett in regards to Marcell Dareus. It's an article about his consistency. The full article is here:
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121004/SPORTS03/310040054

Tenth-year veteran Chris Kelsay said Dareus is a magnificent talent, a player who could go on to great things, but right now, his inconsistency is an issue that he must overcome.

“Marcell is a really young guy who’s got more potential than maybe anybody I’ve been around,” Kelsay said. “But he’s a guy that you have to stay on, and a lot of that, young players period, that’s the case more times than not.

“I told him in training camp, watching him rush the passer and the way he uses his body, as good as he moves for as big as he is, he can be one of the best. But it ultimately comes down to lining up every single snap and having it in your mind that you’re going to dominate the guy across from you.”

When he was at Alabama, Dareus played in the super-competitive Southeastern Conference and there are a lot of those guys making a living on Sundays just as he is. Even though he was one of the best players in the SEC, he realizes that’s not enough in the NFL.

“In the league, people watch more film, they’re more focused on what’s going on, and more fundamentally sound and you’ve got to be just as sound,” he said. “I’m still growing, still learning, trying to get better.”

Dareus has the size, the athleticism, and the nasty streak, and now he just needs to hone in on play-to-play focus.

“I wouldn’t classify him as a bust,” said linebacker Nick Barnett. “I’ve never seen a defensive lineman come in and just totally dominate at that position. It takes maturity and you have to grow as a player. Is he the best he’s going to be right now? No. But do I think he has all the potential to become one of those dominating defensive linemen? Absolutely.”

ServoBillieves
10-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I could consider you a troll with your constant blabbering of everyone being wrong.

Says the raging crybaby who spends all of his time on Bills boards just to whine and complain. Honestly when you say ONE POSITIVE THING relevant in a thread without going back on it 45 minutes later I will admit to being solely an optimist. This can easily happen but good God your opinions get really old really fast. "Did you know the Bills suck?!" Had no clue Hurk, thank you for the incredible insight.

BertSquirtgum
10-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Says the raging crybaby who spends all of his time on Bills boards just to whine and complain. Honestly when you say ONE POSITIVE THING relevant in a thread without going back on it 45 minutes later I will admit to being solely an optimist. This can easily happen but good God your opinions get really old really fast. "Did you know the Bills suck?!" Had no clue Hurk, thank you for the incredible insight.

Get off my nuts homo. Tell your wife to get on her knees and relieve some of that frustration.

gebobs
10-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Just out of curiousity, which player are you worried about? Now, you want to talk about players we overreached for I'd have to admit its Mario Williams. Even worse than reaching we overpaid. If Mario doesn't step it up he needs to be suspended for a couple weeks without pay so he can get his **** together.
Of course it's Mario. The guy plays small.

kishoph
10-07-2012, 03:55 AM
He is on pace for 8 sacks this season and has knocked down a few passes, has been double teamed and plays at a position where you don't give a lot of glory plays.

Last seasons sack leader for DT's was the Bengals Geno Atkins with 7.5. BTW, Kyle Williams has 3.5 sacks and he also catches flack from some "Bills fans."

Now, you want to talk about players we overreached for I'd have to admit its Mario Williams. Even worse than reaching we overpaid. If Mario doesn't step it up he needs to be suspended for a couple weeks without pay so he can get his **** together.

The Bills were in dire need of a pass rusher and while Mario Williams is not the best pass rusher in the league, he was the best available at the time, for the Bills to get. As far as overpaying for him, that's the way free agency is right now and for a team that hasn't had much success in years to be able to get a top free agent, they're going to have to overpay. Also, I've said it a few times, if the Bills would of been out bid in trying to get Williams, people would be screaming about how cheap Ralph is. Right now, I'm going to go by Williams record over the last 5 years and not the last four games. Players can struggle/slump for many reasons, including injury. Jason Pierre-Paul also has only 1.5 sacks so far and only 3 more solo stops than Williams and I'm not ready to claim that he sucks either. Williams is on a new team, with new coaches, in a new system and playing with a slight injury, give him a chance.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Still shoulda took Peterson.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Should of took aj green.

kishoph
10-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Should of took aj green.

What good would AJ Green do on this team right now, another open receiver for Fitz to miss. If Stevie had a good QB, his numbers would blow Greens away.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2012, 03:10 PM
What good would AJ Green do on this team right now, another open receiver for Fitz to miss. If Stevie had a good QB, his numbers would blow Greens away.

Should have took andy dalton in the second. imagine stevie and aj. it's nice to dream.