PDA

View Full Version : The 2006-2008 Drafts

xXSpIkes5IXx
10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Players that were drafted from 2006-2008 are in the prime of their NFL careers right now. I think the biggest reason our Bills aren't competitive is the absolute incompetence of the Levy/Brandon/Jauron run era.

If you look at the first 3 rounds of those drafts (9 picks in all) only 3 of them (Donte Whitner, Paul Poz, and Marshawn Lynch) are starters in the NFL, NONE of them for the Bills. 4 Picks (John McCargo, James Hardy, Chris Ellis, Ashton Youboty) are out of the NFL. Trent Edwards is the Eagles 3rd string QB, and Leodis McKelvin is our 4th CB/Kick returner.

It just drives me nuts.

The King
10-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I agree with this. And I hope that its the cause of our ****tiness and that we'll eventually get better, but overall right now, I think we just suck for sucks sake.

Joe Fo Sho
10-05-2012, 02:13 PM
:deadhorse

SABURZFAN
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
this football board has had a better draft for the Bills, than the Einstein's running it, for the last decade.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-05-2012, 02:43 PM
The top half of those drafts were atrocious, but the bottom halves actually produced Kyle Williams, Steve Johnson, and Fred Jackson as a UDFA. Amazing how we could bungle so many top picks and yet find gems like that at the same time.

Raptor
10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Basically what happens when you draft for need over BPA and value character over athletic skill(Not saying Character doesnt matter but it was factored in WAY to much in those years)

jimmifli
10-05-2012, 03:27 PM
:deadhorse

Not really. To win under a salary cap you need get better performance for the same amount of money as the rest of the teams. There is only two ways to get players, draft them or sign them as free agents. It's incredibly hard to sign free agents for a below market price since there is a lot more information about their NFL performance. So that leaves the draft as the only way to get below market price contracts.

If you draft good players that become stars while they're still on their rookie contracts it's a huge competitive advantage. If you can fill in the roster with competent players that are still on their rookie contracts, that's a good advantage too. Cheap players let you over pay for other players and stack the team for a season or two.

ServoBillieves
10-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Had no clue that our past few drafts had sucked. Thank you for the brilliant revelation to us all.

trapezeus
10-05-2012, 05:12 PM
don't look now, but aside from our first rounders being servicable, we have a total miss in rounds 2-7 over last 3 years. if you think right now is bad, wait for the next two years if the drafts don't improve in a hurry.

these scouts blow. it's like they make their decisions in a vaccuum without coaches input. we have coaches routinely trying to put people out of position. This is a jaruon thing that has continued with Gailey.

we just missed on so many first rounders that we are blinded that we are missing on everything else.

Joe Fo Sho
10-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Not really. To win under a salary cap you need get better performance for the same amount of money as the rest of the teams. There is only two ways to get players, draft them or sign them as free agents. It's incredibly hard to sign free agents for a below market price since there is a lot more information about their NFL performance. So that leaves the draft as the only way to get below market price contracts.

If you draft good players that become stars while they're still on their rookie contracts it's a huge competitive advantage. If you can fill in the roster with competent players that are still on their rookie contracts, that's a good advantage too. Cheap players let you over pay for other players and stack the team for a season or two.

My point is that this topic has been beaten to death. We all know how much we suck at drafting, people point it out regularly here. Why don't we talk about something that rarely gets brought up, like how we can't beat New England. Does anyone know that?

BillsFever21
10-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Players that were drafted from 2006-2008 are in the prime of their NFL careers right now. I think the biggest reason our Bills aren't competitive is the absolute incompetence of the Levy/Brandon/Jauron run era.

If you look at the first 3 rounds of those drafts (9 picks in all) only 3 of them (Donte Whitner, Paul Poz, and Marshawn Lynch) are starters in the NFL, NONE of them for the Bills. 4 Picks (John McCargo, James Hardy, Chris Ellis, Ashton Youboty) are out of the NFL. Trent Edwards is the Eagles 3rd string QB, and Leodis McKelvin is our 4th CB/Kick returner.

It just drives me nuts.

The Levy and Brandon era's set this team back even further for years. Although I liked Marv just as much as anyone I didn't want him as the GM. He obviously wasn't qualified for it. Too many fans thought that wasn't the case since they were still living in the glory days on the 1990's and thought that would translate into being a good GM for the first time when you're 70-something years old.

As far as Brandon goes that was just a flat out pathetic hire on Wilson's part. He took a marketing person and tried to put him in charge of football decision? Give me a break.

bigbub2352
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
dont stop at 2006-2008..keep going its pretty sad

Beebe
10-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Even if we had drafted better players they would end up on other teams because we don't like to pay them.

coastal
10-06-2012, 07:12 AM
At least we have Chris Kelsay and Spencer Johnson.

jimmifli
10-06-2012, 07:49 AM
My point is that this topic has been beaten to death. We all know how much we suck at drafting, people point it out regularly here. Why don't we talk about something that rarely gets brought up, like how we can't beat New England. Does anyone know that?
It gets brought up because it's the root cause of why we still suck. So any thread about the Bills will eventually turn to us sucking, and the reasons why, and how bad our drafting has been and continues to be.

If you don't like those discussions it's going to be hard for you to read a Bills related message board.

coastal
10-06-2012, 09:14 PM
The quilt of ineptitude...

Skooby
10-07-2012, 12:35 AM
We could of had the whole top end of the 2006 draft this year, if we wanted it.

SquishDaFish
10-07-2012, 06:53 AM
At least we have Chris Kelsay and Spencer Johnson.

You lost the ability to say the word WE when talking about the Bills. Your a damn Niners fan now remember?