PDA

View Full Version : Last Thread. Last Post.

Jan Reimers
10-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Not in anger, so much as resignation. I simply can no longer invest the time, energy, emotion or money in such a lost cause. Call me a fairweather fan, a rat deserting a sinking ship or whatever, but I can't watch this mess any longer.

I care deeply about many things, but not the Bills. I wish them luck, and I hope - for all of your sake - that they get better.

For me, I simply cannot, and do not, care anymore.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Weak

YardRat
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't why I get so pissed because record-wise they are exactly where I thought they'd be at this point...but I also thought they would at least resemble a professional football team.

coastal
10-07-2012, 06:40 PM
San Fran set a franchise record for offense today.

think about that...

Montana... Young...

a record today.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2012, 06:41 PM
San Fran set a franchise record for offense today.

think about that...

Montana... Young...

a record today.

Tittle, Brodie, etc...

Night Train
10-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Take this year off and return with the new coaching staff and QB next year.

Maybe a new owner with pride to boot.

stuckincincy
10-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Not in anger, so much as resignation. I simply can no longer invest the time, energy, emotion or money in such a lost cause. Call me a fairweather fan, a rat deserting a sinking ship or whatever, but I can't watch this mess any longer.

I care deeply about many things, but not the Bills. I wish them luck, and I hope - for all of your sake - that they get better.

Please post time to time, even if not about the Bills. :candle:

DynaPaul
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
This team is a team of quitters. They play tough in the first half and then just bend over and spread their ass cheeks after halftime.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't why I get so pissed because record-wise they are exactly where I thought they'd be at this point...but I also thought they would at least resemble a professional football team.

Exactly. Losing to the Jets, Patriots, and 49ers was not at all surprising. Coughing up ~140 points to them and getting completely dominated in every facet of the game is totally disheartening.

Typ0
10-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Jan your demise has been very noble. I'm sorry to say though there are too few lifeboats and no spots left in the ones that there are.

Mad Bomber
10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Hurkey, you say that Jan's post/attitude is "weak". You have no idea what or whom you are talking about.

Let me put things in perspective. Both he and I have been Bills fans since the early 60's. Yes, that's 50 years. He has been one of the most faithful and optimistic Bills fans I know. This isn't a fair weather fan jumping off a bandwagon. It is someone worn down by years of disappointment and getting repeatedly kicked in the nuts by the team after getting your hopes up. It gets old after a while.

Frankly, I'm feeling the same way right now. There are a lot better things to invest your emotional energy in...

kingJofNYC
10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Don't blame you, under the current circumstances I'm not sure how much more I can take. Fan for 22 years, I'm reaching my limit.

Bill Cody
10-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I've never ever seen so many long term fans at the end of their ropes. It's understandable of course. Jan I offer my thanks for years of good posting and best wishes going forward.

Night Train
10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Hurkey, you say that Jan's post/attitude is "weak". You have no idea what or whom you are talking about.

Let me put things in perspective. Both he and I have been Bills fans since the early 60's. Yes, that's 50 years. He has been one of the most faithful and optimistic Bills fans I know. This isn't a fair weather fan jumping off a bandwagon. It is someone worn down by years of disappointment and getting repeatedly kicked in the nuts by the team after getting your hopes up. It gets old after a while.

Frankly, I'm feeling the same way right now. There are a lot better things to invest your emotional energy in...

Ditto. My 1st game was 1965.

I'm getting far more enjoyment from college games on Saturday. I want to see a new owner, coaching staff, QB and more before becoming emotionally invested again. This current product is dead.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Weak

- - - Updated - - -

At least you guys got to see some good times. I haven't seen anything good.

Ingtar33
10-07-2012, 07:03 PM

as am I

3 decades of diehard fandom is slowly withering and dying.

Billz_fan
10-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I have 35+ years in myself. I still follow the team but I do not get upset or crazy like I used to. For me it's a casual thing now. Until Ralph passes and we see what happens anyway. It was 3-4 years ago when I became like this. I decided at that point I would spend not 1 more dime on this team until they proved to me they cared about winning. I have held true to that. After years of spending tons on tickets and merchandise I cut it off cold turkey.

I understand just how you feel Jan and all the rest of you on the verge :D

helmetguy
10-07-2012, 07:10 PM
49 years of Bills fandom here. A "Golden Anniversary" is looking less likely by the week.

Michael82
10-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Wow! I never thought I'd see the day when the Zone's #1 Bills fan jumps off the bandwagon. This is very sad to hear. I dont blame you. I've been a fan since birth and seen a lot of good, but I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years and they've been the most horrible years ever. I want to enjoy home games where this team wins big. I want to see home playoff games, but I worry that it's never going to happen. And it's very depressing. :(

Philagape
10-07-2012, 07:18 PM
What I was thinking today is that if the Bills left Buffalo, I wouldn't care. Buffalo hasn't had an NFL team for quite some time now. The Bills are nothing but a source of embarrassment to its city and its fans. A shameful disgrace. A franchise that has no business being in the NFL. The past two weeks have been an FCS team playing the SEC.
When they leave Buffalo, I'll say good riddance. There are much better ways to spend three hours a week.

Meathead
10-07-2012, 07:29 PM
49 years of Bills fandom here.

hey dude nice to see you. not to be a dick but dont we have to take maybe three of those years off there cuz im thinking you did your jan reimers sabbatical like five seasons ago. but hey 46 years isnt bad, still more than me

good or bad, my fandom years are consecutive. not sure if thats even by choice, personally i cant stop. its like the beaten wife syndrome - ive got two nastly swollen black eyes, two chipped teeth, malarchuk amounts of fat lip blood on my shirt, and hey i still love you baby come back. i need help

mrbojanglezs
10-07-2012, 07:37 PM
thats cute

zone
10-07-2012, 07:41 PM
One word... disgrace.

Skooby

So you're saying there's a chance, quitters go to rehab.

dannyek71
I've been a fan for 20 years. It is getting harder and harder to justify supporting the crap this team puts out every year.

helmetguy
10-07-2012, 07:47 PM
hey dude nice to see you. not to be a dick but dont we have to take maybe three of those years off there cuz im thinking you did your jan reimers sabbatical like five seasons ago. but hey 46 years isnt bad, still more than me

good or bad, my fandom years are consecutive. not sure if thats even by choice, personally i cant stop. its like the beaten wife syndrome - ive got two nastly swollen black eyes, two chipped teeth, malarchuk amounts of fat lip blood on my shirt, and hey i still love you baby come back. i need help

I stopped making the trek to The Ralph about 5 years ago because of the shabby treatment I got from some rent-a-cops up there. But, as you alluded to, having been a fan for so long, it would've been nearly impossible to completely disavow them. I'd almost have to stop watching football altogether. Now, it's a matter of helping my sister with her football pool picks each week.

Skooby
10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
I stopped making the trek to The Ralph about 5 years ago because of the shabby treatment I got from some rent-a-cops up there. But, as you alluded to, having been a fan for so long, it would've been nearly impossible to completely disavow them. I'd almost have to stop watching football altogether. Now, it's a matter of helping my sister with her football pool picks each week.

Obvious advice, avoid the Bills.

kgun12
10-07-2012, 07:53 PM

I feel you pain last week was it for me. I went to my first game in 1965, I was 4 years old we just moved to Buffalo and my Uncle wanted to introduce us to the Bills. I just can do it anymore. I am the beaten wife that has decided enough is enough, I've gone to a shelter and have gotten a restraining order. Now I just have to find a rehab facility. They need rehab also, new owner, REAL coaches, and a freakin QB! Then maybe I could take them back?

BTW Hi all

bluerosekiller
10-07-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm with Jan.
Although, I don't think I can just go cold turkey. While it's going to be pretty easy to stay away from the television Sunday afternoons for the rest of the season after the three atrocities that we've been witness to over the past month, I know that I'm still going to be compelled to read the obits in The News on Monday mornings & come here to vent occasionally as my fandom goes through it's death throes.
As I sit here in a state of such disillusionment & depression just 3 days away from my 51st birthday, I can't help but choke out a bitter little laugh at myself for thinking that this was going to be such a good season. Nothing crazy, maybe not even an appearance on wild card weekend. But, at LEAST a winning season. 9-7 at worst. What with all the big money spent on free agents, what appeared to be a decent, if not spectacular draft, with it being the third year into Nix & Gailey's plan/program, the team was bound to fun to watch. Bound to be something to look forward to each weekend...
Yeah, RIGHT.
Pardon me, but that bitter chuckle at myself just died in my throat. Just like a little part of me did a while earlier as the utter futility caused me to shut the TV off.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I am still with them, but I am unattached to them. I no longer put any effort into being a fan. If they win okay. If not, well no big deal. I am following the MST3K advice that I should just repeat to myself that its just a game and I should really just relax. I no longer give a **** if they win or lose. Oh, and for the record they lose in Arizona next week 40-7

DynaPaul
10-07-2012, 08:57 PM
This whole thing reminds me of the plot to "Major League" except that we don't have Wild Thing and we AREN'T winning!

dannyek71
10-07-2012, 09:06 PM

No. You stopped for other reasons. Didn't you owe somebody money?

Stewie
10-07-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't know too much about Jan Reimers, but I've seen him post this before. He'll be back.

imbondz
10-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Next big win Jan will be back. We all will. It's impossible to not when you've invested this much time and heart into a team.

That said, I didn't watch one down of the game today. After last week I said not a chance i'm watching the 49er game. I followed the game on my ScoreMobile app until it was 31-3 and I said, "@#%$@#$% them''.

Embarrassing. It sucks I can't enjoy an NFL season. I'll be devastated if the Bills leave Buffalo. But there is absolutely nothing to cheer for now. Hasn't been since the '99 - 2000 season.

BAM
10-07-2012, 10:52 PM
You guys aren't going anywhere. Same crap team, different year. And we'll all be back next year to watch it all over again. Guaranteed.

imbondz
10-07-2012, 11:03 PM
You guys aren't going anywhere. Same crap team, different year. And we'll all be back next year to watch it all over again. Guaranteed.

Hey Bam! look what staying with the Orioles got you! Finally!

OpIv37
10-07-2012, 11:33 PM

And we are all ****ing stupid.

****ing stupid.

Demon
10-08-2012, 12:05 AM
See ya when this team wins 2 in a row....

Turf
10-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Being a Bills fan at this point is pointless. I don't blame you, though I know you'll be watching.

jills
10-08-2012, 01:00 AM
If you start rooting for any other team I will not blame you.

Cali512
10-08-2012, 02:19 AM
I've never ever seen so many long term fans at the end of their ropes. It's understandable of course. Jan I offer my thanks for years of good posting and best wishes going forward.

Its cuz expectations were high as ever, and the division is the ****tiest its been in over 20 years, yet we look worse than ever!

better days
10-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Ditto. My 1st game was 1965.

I'm getting far more enjoyment from college games on Saturday. I want to see a new owner, coaching staff, QB and more before becoming emotionally invested again. This current product is dead.

As a Gator fan at least I have been able to enjoy Saturdays.

Historian
10-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Ahem!

LtFinFan66
10-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Wow! I never thought I'd see the day when the Zone's #1 Bills fan jumps off the bandwagon. This is very sad to hear. I dont blame you. I've been a fan since birth and seen a lot of good, but I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years and they've been the most horrible years ever. I want to enjoy home games where this team wins big. I want to see home playoff games, but I worry that it's never going to happen. And it's very depressing. :(
I would not consider it jumping off the bandwagon....to be "on" the bandwagon in the first place means that when times were good you jumped on only to jump off when the ship is sinking....not the case at all for Jan

justasportsfan
10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Oh great! I'll be the only homer left here.

Bills are doing a rope-a-dope. Maybe just dope.

The King
10-08-2012, 08:58 AM
It's down right repulsive.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Damn, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I made it until the 3rd quarter before I was done. I went and cleand a refrigerator. I cleaned a refrigerator over football. If I were to travel in time and told myself there would be a day I would rather clean a fridge over football, I would have punched myself in the face. This team is getting maddening to follow and I can't blame you for your thought, I would be lying if I didn't feel the same way.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Damn, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I made it until the 3rd quarter before I was done. I went and cleand a refrigerator. I cleaned a refrigerator over football. If I were to travel in time and told myself there would be a day I would rather clean a fridge over football, I would have punched myself in the face. This team is getting maddening to follow and I can't blame you for your thought, I would be lying if I didn't feel the same way.

The Bills might be saving marriages. They are so bad that husbands would actually rather tackle the Honeydo list.

That said, we're not alone. This is from emails the writers at Football Outsiders send each other while watching the games:

Danny Tuccitto: The predictability of this 49ers game makes me wonder if some intrepid computer engineer in Cupertino programmed it into the matrix. We knew the Buffalo defense is horrible. We knew that San Francisco's defense is great. We knew the 49ers offense can score points just fine against horrible defenses. We knew they easily handle inferior non-division opponents at home. There's been your
typical dose of Kaeper-cat, play-action passing, 300-pound defensive linemen as lead blockers, naked bootlegs, end-arounds, etc. On defense, it's Patrick Willis (http://footballoutsiders.com/player/17230/patrick-willis) seemingly everywhere, Carlos Rogers (http://footballoutsiders.com/player/16793/carlos-rogers) getting abused in the slot, sure-handed tackling from everyone, plus takeaway after takeaway.

It's the first time in years that I'm legitimately bored watching my favorite team.

http://footballoutsiders.com/audibles/2012/audibles-line-week-5

This team is so horrendous that the fans of our opponents get bored watching them dominate us.

mush69
10-08-2012, 09:34 AM

You wanna come down and help me restretch and shampoo the living room carpet next week?

I too have had about enough, in fact I worked on the house until 5 pm yesterday when I finally switched the game on. I saw the score and handed the remote to my wife and watched bad sci-fi movies the rest of the day.

Albany,n.y.
10-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Here's my story:
I've been a fan for 40 years. I'm originally from L.I. & went to college at Fredonia. I lived in Buffalo in 1977 and a little bit of 78, and 1980-82. I left Buffalo at the end of 1982, moved back to L.I until 1988 when I moved to Albany. In the 1970s I went to a few games a year when the team was decent early on & ended up horrible before Knox. When I moved back in 1980 my goal was to make every home game-I did. I went to most games until I moved away in 1982. I didn't see any games in 1983 & 1984, went to 2 road games & a home game in 1985 and 1986. Due to the strike in 1987 I only saw 2 road games, but I knew I was moving closer to Buffalo in 1988 & I wanted to go to as many games as I could. I ended up going to most of the home games in 1988-1990, then from 1991-the Sunday night NE game in 2007 I didn't miss a home game even though I was 290+ miles away. I've been to all home playoff games in Rich/Ralph stadium & I went to all 4 Super Bowls. I've gone to road games in NY & NE many times. I've also gone to road games in Philadelphia, Cleveland & Baltimore.
This season I've given up. The first thing I did was give up my season tickets. I still went to the opener in NJ & the NE home game, but that's it, no more attending games for me this season. Yesterday was another milestone. For the 1st time since 1989, I missed a Bills game. If I didn't go to the game & it wasn't on home TV, I'd always find a bar or some place with a satellite. Yesterday I put WGR on my computer & put on NFL Redzone.
I no longer have the enthusiasm of other seasons. I still expect the team to win between 6-8 games this year, but honestly, every win is meaningless. What good is it to be the 22nd best team in the league & pump up your win total for the season because your schedule is loaded with just about every team in the bottom 10? They won't finish with the 22nd best record because of the weak schedule, but even if they beat all the dregs on the schedule from mid-November to the end of the season & make a playoff run it's still meaningless. The whole point of fielding a team is to have a chance at the championship. Look at what happened the last 2 weeks when we played Super Bowl contenders. This team does not belong on the same field with a real contender. They still have to prove they belong on the same field as a mediocre team like the Jets, who looked like crap against the good teams but owned us on opening day.
So, to those of you who will continue to go to the games & feel all good leaving the stadium when you witness victories against dreg teams like Tennessee & Jacksonville, wins that will move us further away from any impact players in the draft, more power to you. But as for me, I'm done wasting good time & money traveling thousands of miles each year to see this embarrassment of a team.

jdaltroy5
10-08-2012, 11:33 AM
It's weird. The last two weeks, I didn't even watch the Bills games. That would've been unheard of for me in the last decade. It was such a foregone conclusion that I didn't bother wasting 3 hours of my Sunday.

I kept up with the score on my phone, but I just had better things to do. I wasn't even mad. I just didn't care. It was complete and utter apathy.

A couple of years ago I would've gotten in a yelling match or broken something over the Bills. I didn't talk to my friends for awhile because they said Marion Barber was better than Lynch. I verbally threatened my friends when the Bills were losing to the Raiders at the beginning of the 2008 season.

Now, I just don't care.

Another Sunday, another bully beatdown.

Another Monday, another team website full of excuses saying they need to execute better and they need to do this and that.

I'll never cheer for another team while the Bills are in Buffalo, but I'm finding better things to do with my time than watching NFL football.

Like surfing the Internet for funny pictures of cats.

Skooby
10-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm doing something else next weekend & not looking back.

Mr. Miyagi
10-08-2012, 12:02 PM
as am I

3 decades of diehard fandom is slowly withering and dying.
Yup, me four.

We need a franchise QB. Be it Barkley or Landry Jones or Geno Smith, I'm not a scout so I don't know he's better, but anyone but Fitz.

God I'd rather have Brandon Weeden than Fitz. Heck, Colt McCoy might do.

bluerosekiller
10-08-2012, 12:26 PM
As a former pro fighter, I've always been a believer in the brains over brawn approach.
So, I became a fan of Fitz pretty quickly a couple of years ago & I went out of my way to give him credit. To believe that despite his physical limitations that he'd be at the helm when this team turned the corner to legit contention. But, no.
He's a total liability.
He can't get it done at this level & his issues have obviously affected & in fact, infected the entire team.
He's got to go.

Cntrygal
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM

I didn't even bother to go to the bar to watch the game. I stayed home, started a fire in the fireplace and rewatched the Lord of the Rings trilogy (no - I didn't burn my bills stuff).

and for those that don't know me..... I've been tortured by Bills Fandom for almost 40 years

lmcshadow
10-08-2012, 01:14 PM
You know its not a day that goes by during football season that i dont get sacked in the head about buffalo. Ive been a fan since 89. I often think aboout the good times, but its hard to do lately. But I still believe in the Bills and thats what keeps me going.

YardRat
10-08-2012, 01:34 PM
I haven't been a fan as long as some around here, but 42 years and counting. Never had the chance to attend a game at the Rockpile, watched on TV, but went to my first one at Rich in it's inaugural season.

I feel better today...looking forward to Arizona next week. I'll hold off on looking forward to free agency and the draft for a couple more weeks :D

Despite how bad we've played most of the season, we're a lot closer than we have been in the past. I still think this roster has talent...we just need some adequate coaching to point the players in the right direction, and Yes, it's time to start getting serious about the QB position.

We have a ton of talent on defense, IMO, and the offensive line is getting better. Skill positions on O are adequate. IMO we'd all be surprised at how well we could do with a real defensive coordinator and a QB that didn't appear completely shot mentally and physically. Throw in a LB and a WR, and we're golden.

I get pissed, but have to face up to the cold, hard fact...I'm not going anywhere.

/homer-rant

bluerosekiller
10-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I haven't been a fan as long as some around here, but 42 years and counting. Never had the chance to attend a game at the Rockpile, watched on TV, but went to my first one at Rich in it's inaugural season.

I feel better today...looking forward to Arizona next week. I'll hold off on looking forward to free agency and the draft for a couple more weeks :D

Despite how bad we've played most of the season, we're a lot closer than we have been in the past. I still think this roster has talent...we just need some adequate coaching to point the players in the right direction, and Yes, it's time to start getting serious about the QB position.

We have a ton of talent on defense, IMO, and the offensive line is getting better. Skill positions on O are adequate. IMO we'd all be surprised at how well we could do with a real defensive coordinator and a QB that didn't appear completely shot mentally and physically. Throw in a LB and a WR, and we're golden.

I get pissed, but have to face up to the cold, hard fact...I'm not going anywhere.

/homer-rant

Yeah, remember just a couple of years ago following another Bills loss when Wilson was interviewed & blamed it on the team having a lack of talented players?
Well, supposedly that's what Nix has spent all his time since then trying to fix. Right?
So now what's the excuse?

YardRat
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, remember just a couple of years ago following another Bills loss when Wilson was interviewed & blamed it on the team having a lack of talented players?
Well, supposedly that's what Nix has spent all his time since then trying to fix. Right?
So now what's the excuse?

Coaching.

Sammy Avalon
10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Somehow the Bills always get raped when playing west of the Mississipi.

It's sad.

bf1
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
That's the problem with sticking to being a homer. It's like holding your breath. Soon, you'll turn blue. I realized years ago to embrace (inhale) some negativity/honestly.

This malo guy harped on Jan's mental state 2 years ago!
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/195961-Hey-Jan-Reimers

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-08-2012, 04:01 PM
I always thought Jan was a Girl LOL
oh well
But I used to get pissed and depressed for a few days after EVERY loss
now Im over it by half time LOL

mead107
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I have been a Bills fan for along time. Started around 68 - 69. Have been season ticke holder 20 years. I will always be a fan just not sure about season tickets any more. Wife and I talked about ending getting them after the NE game. Will still go to the home opener and travel to 1 away game. Who knows how this season turns out. I still love the BILLS.

Beebe's Kid
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I was at the NE game, and it was the first time that I left early. I left way before the score got too out of hand, but I knew that they were outmatched and didn't stand a chance of getting back into it. Fitz has made the throws before that he can't make now...maybe the mechanics were a bad idea. Maybe Chan's playbook is too complicated and isn't the 11th dimensional chess game he would have us think it is. I think that the game has passed Wannstadt by, and that he is misusing the talent that he does have.

I am not going to renew my season tickets...that is as much a product of other things in my life as it is the Bills, but I am not heartbroken. I don't even want to go to the next game. That might change if things look good in AZ, but I probably will just read about it afterward. I am disheartened with the entire atmosphere of football, and am looking for a reason to get out anyway. I see some of the most deplorable human behavior done under the guise of being a fan. The food and drinks have gone up again, and the product of the field is still in the ****ter.

I won't say that I'll never watch another game, or even that I am quitting...but it certainly seems to be in the air, doesn't it? I actually have a lot of other things that I don't make time for that are enjoyable and productive. It won't be too difficult to ween off of the money-sucking NFL and the terrible Bills teams that I seemed to think kept me coming back. Watching this team flounder pathetically has taken its toll on me, and I was never a big football guy outside of the Bills anyway. I was always hoping to hang in there so that I could see them redeem themselves for the early '90s...now I don't think that means that much to me.

YardRat
10-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Anybody else watch Dexter? The Bills are my Dark Passenger :ill: