PDA

View Full Version : Gailey says quarterback isn't a issue, but soon could be

buffalobillsfan95
10-08-2012, 08:58 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/08/gailey-says-quarterback-isnt-an-issue-but-it-soon-could-be/

RedEyE
10-08-2012, 09:02 AM
How can he look at the tape and say that? Typical stubborn idiotic coaching. Fitz is not making plays - plain and simple. And his inability to sustain a drive is wearing on the defense. I mean I know the defense has it's own issues, but the offense isn't doing anything to help them out there.

Skooby
10-08-2012, 09:05 AM
We have a QB ??

Generalissimus Gibby
10-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Fire him, fire him, fire him!

buffalobillsfan95
10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
I hope that we actually stay with fitz this season

What if tarvaris Jackson lights it up and prevent a early round qb to be drafted again....

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2012, 09:12 AM
That's a very misleading headline. It should be "Gailey says 'Quarterback isn't an issue', but it soon could be." They make it sound like Gailey was calling Fitz out publicly.

That said, all levels deserve blame here. Gailey has hitched his wagon to Ryan Fitzpatrick, but continues to call plays he is unsuited to make. Stop me if you've seen this one before: It's 3rd and short. We come out with 3 WR and a TE, with Jackson or Spiller in the backfield, then the halfback splits all the way out to the sideline and Fitz tries to hit them on a sideline go route. I feel like I've seen that play 5 times this year and it NEVER WORKS. Fitz can't hit the throw, our backs are not wideouts no matter what homers think, and taking them out of the backfield removes the threat of a run conversion.

X-Era
10-08-2012, 09:20 AM
The Bills will keep Fitz beyond 2013. But, they might very well draft a QB. Of course I've been saying that for 3 years now too.

Ponder, Dalton, Luck, Newton... You can win with a young QB but you better be good in other phases. Were not very good in any phase.

Skooby
10-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Famous last words:

“It’s not all my fault, but it starts with me,” Gailey said.

GingerP
10-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Actually, what he said was Fitz wasn't the problem. He said don't go there. He hasn't wavered on Fitz at all.

trapezeus
10-08-2012, 09:32 AM
i just don't get what gailey sees. watching these games, the receivers are open. the reads are right. but the ball is no where to be caught.

and what's really impressive is that the team gets to duck all questions for a week sinec they stayed out on the west coast.

don137
10-08-2012, 09:34 AM
He is not going to come out publicly and belittle Fitz. Does no good. Of course he is going to say that. What he says and thinks probably are two different things. Problem is Gailey knows their is no one better on the roster.

Skooby
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
i just don't get what gailey sees. watching these games

He's going to see it from the stands soon.

X-Era
10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
i just don't get what gailey sees. watching these games, the receivers are open. the reads are right. but the ball is no where to be caught.

and what's really impressive is that the team gets to duck all questions for a week sinec they stayed out on the west coast.I can't believe I'm going to defend Fitz for a sec but in actuality he's fine in the short and intermediate routes running our spread. I'd like to have the long ball available but Gailey needs to just take any play farther than 20 yards out of the playbook. We have success moving the ball when we stick to our shorter game. Fitz gets the ball out quick and finds open guys. I think we should just stick with that and forget the long ball.

That said, you will not find me arguing with upgrading Fitz. I want better at that position. I think we can win with him if we stick to what he actually can do but I want better talent there overall.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I can't believe I'm going to defend Fitz for a sec but in actuality he's fine in the short and intermediate routes running our spread. I'd like to have the long ball available but Gailey needs to just take any play farther than 20 yards out of the playbook. We have success moving the ball when we stick to our shorter game. Fitz gets the ball out quick and finds open guys. I think we should just stick with that and forget the long ball.

We can't. The result of that is the Jets game: DBs and LBs sitting on short throws all day and picking them off. We need at least the threat of a downfield throw to keep those short ones open.

X-Era
10-08-2012, 09:44 AM
We can't. The result of that is the Jets game: DBs and LBs sitting on short throws all day and picking them off. We need at least the threat of a downfield throw to keep those short ones open.If true, were screwed because Fitz can't hit them. I honestly can't think of one long throw that he's hit... Maybe Graham?

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2012, 09:48 AM
If true, were screwed because Fitz can't hit them. I honestly can't think of one long throw that he's hit... Maybe Graham?

Ummmmm..... You got me.

<tbody>
BY PASS PLAY
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
AVG
LNG
TD
INT
SACK
RAT

</tbody>

<tbody>
Passs Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds

</tbody>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

OpIv37
10-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I hope that we actually stay with fitz this season

What if tarvaris Jackson lights it up and prevent a early round qb to be drafted again....

Obviously you've never watched Jackson play. That's not going to happen.

And honestly, I have to wonder if the lack of even a mediocre back-up is one of the reasons Gailey is sticking with Fitz. I think he has so little confidence in Thigpen and Jackson that, as bad as Fitz is, he thinks they'll be even worse.

jimmifli
10-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I can't believe I'm going to defend Fitz for a sec but in actuality he's fine in the short and intermediate routes running our spread. I'd like to have the long ball available but Gailey needs to just take any play farther than 20 yards out of the playbook. We have success moving the ball when we stick to our shorter game. Fitz gets the ball out quick and finds open guys. I think we should just stick with that and forget the long ball.

That said, you will not find me arguing with upgrading Fitz. I want better at that position. I think we can win with him if we stick to what he actually can do but I want better talent there overall.

Even a QB with an 80% completion percentage isn't going to sustain drives when every pass is 6 yards. 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 ... the odds of completing five straight passes is only 32%, and you've only gone 30 yards. And Fitz isn't throwing anywhere near 80%.

The short passes set up the big plays, like that pass to CJ - spread it out get a LB in coverage and force the safety to cover one of the WR. Then watch CJ blow by the LB 30 yards down the field.

Skooby
10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Fiz can't pass 25 yards, it's a stretch.

X-Era
10-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Even a QB with an 80% completion percentage isn't going to sustain drives when every pass is 6 yards. 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 ... the odds of completing five straight passes is only 32%, and you've only gone 30 yards. And Fitz isn't throwing anywhere near 80%.

The short passes set up the big plays, like that pass to CJ - spread it out get a LB in coverage and force the safety to cover one of the WR. Then watch CJ blow by the LB 30 yards down the field.My only point is that this offense can move the ball and put up points, that's proven. And also that Fitz can't hit the long ball, that's also proven.

Do I want the limitation of only being able to complete short throws? Absolutely not.

OpIv37
10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Actually, what he said was Fitz wasn't the problem. He said don't go there. He hasn't wavered on Fitz at all.

Obviously he's not going to dog Fitz to the media, but that insults our intelligence.

Fitz isn't the ONLY problem, but he is a problem. Anyone with half a brain can see him missing passes left and right.

jimmifli
10-08-2012, 10:01 AM
My only point is that this offense can move the ball and put up points, that's proven. And also that Fitz can't hit the long ball, that's also proven.

Do I want the limitation of only being able to complete short throws? Absolutely not.
It's not proven. It's proven they can score points with the spread if teams defend against the deep ball. The Jets didn't, they sat on short routes and killed us. San Francisco was happy to leave single coverage on anything deep to protect against the short trows. We moved the ball a little, but without long plays, it's mathematically impossible to sustain drives.

imbondz
10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
everyone is the problem. the coach should be saying every single player is the problem and no one is exempt from being called out publicly when you lose 52-28 and 45- 3 in back to back games.

Skooby
10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
everyone is the problem. the coach should be saying every single player is the problem and no one is exempt from being called out publicly when you lose 52-28 and 45- 3 in back to back games.

97 points against translates into ~800 points given up for the year, who's in charge there ?

dannyek71
10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Now now now. What about how Gailey turns all QBs to look great?

X-Era
10-08-2012, 10:32 AM
It's not proven. It's proven they can score points with the spread if teams defend against the deep ball. The Jets didn't, they sat on short routes and killed us. San Francisco was happy to leave single coverage on anything deep to protect against the short trows. We moved the ball a little, but without long plays, it's mathematically impossible to sustain drives.Last year and some of this year proves we can score points. I just don't see any real impediment to being productive on offense talent wise. The only place where we are hindered by talent is the long ball IMO. The spread allows WR's to match up on LB'ers and also allows more room to run. You don't have to throw 20+ yards down field to move the ball if you can find favorable match ups and keep the defense guessing as to run or pass.

Fitz was 11th in the league in passing yards last year (3832) and 10th in TD's (24). He can move the ball. Last year he threw 12 picks between 1 and 10 yards out of 308 att. that's 3.8%. He threw 11 picks between 11 and 40 yards out of 162 attempts; that's 6.8%. Out of those 4 came on throws between 21 and 40 yards out of 51 attempts; that's 7.8%. It's clear that the farther he throws the less accurate he is. That's probably true for anyone but at the same time watching him he often underthrows and hits the defender right in the chest.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Now now now. What about how Gailey turns all QBs to look great?
That, and Wannstedt's defenses were always in the top 10 of the league. This looks more and more like they're getting paid off on the side to lose.

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Chan Gaylee is a complete idiot.

RedEyE
10-08-2012, 10:46 AM
One thing I always liked and respected about Chan was his bluntness. So why all of sudden is he turning a blind eye?

Skooby
10-08-2012, 10:48 AM
One thing I always liked and respected about Chan was his bluntness. So why all of sudden is he turning a blind eye?

He's blind to what's needed, balls.

Night Train
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
You can't defend Fitz because he's a backup being pushed into a starters role. His limited skill set leaves 15 makeable plays out on the field every game. Starting him is only helping us lose, in addition to the D meltdown.

djjimkelly
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Obviously he's not going to dog Fitz to the media, but that insults our intelligence.

Fitz isn't the ONLY problem, but he is a problem. Anyone with half a brain can see him missing passes left and right.

fitz has the brain to make the right decision doesnt have the arm we used to have a cannon arm with lack of decision making too bad we cant combine the 2

that being said fitz is way in over his head

Skooby
10-08-2012, 11:13 AM
So who gets the axe today ?
You can't defend Fitz because he's a backup being pushed into a starters role. His limited skill set leaves 15 makeable plays out on the field every game. Starting him is only helping us lose, in addition to the D meltdown.

Mr. Miyagi
10-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Whose fault was it when Fitz throws all those inaccurate balls and interceptions?

I'm done with Fitz. He ****** blows. I want us to tank the season and get a top flight QB in the draft.

billsburgh
10-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Whose fault was it when Fitz throws all those inaccurate balls and interceptions?

I'm done with Fitz. He ****** blows. I want us to tank the season and get a top flight QB in the draft.

Geno

kingJofNYC
10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Was a big Tannehill fan, I really wish he fell to 10 just so I could watch the Bills pass on another QB.

paladin warrior
10-08-2012, 12:37 PM
:op:BULL S##t That BULLS##T:op: Chan G. Chan G is a *** it lier little rat. That was a excuse Chan.G. what about bad def and what about RB. Our RB rush olny have 88 yard yesterday ..That Bulls##T Chan:bs:

RedEyE
10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Man listen to Chan on the WGR interview today. He is scraping the bottom of the barrel for answers. But this is what I was talking about in the previous post, why is he suddenly coming off his ability to fire blunt answers?

Two things I heard from Chan on this interview that concern me:

1) Wanny: He doesn't even sit in on the game planning and let's The Stache do his thing. Just a concern that he doesn't even sit in on the game plan.

2) Fitz: He has no plans of benching Fitz any time soon or activating TJ. What is most concerning here is he doesn't even think Fitz is a problem and struggles to even provide a proper answer when asked the question. He can't even provide an example.

Link if you want to hear it yourself: http://www.wgr550.com/