It's time to start talking about candidates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

It's time to start talking about candidates.

Most Bills fans are starting to call for Gailey's (and Nix's, but that's another topic) head. The problem is, as we saw when Gailey was hired, nobody else seems to want this job. So, my question is, who out there might want it that would be an upgrade? Who is a realistic assistant or college coach that is desperate enough for an NFL HC job that he'd coach the Bills?
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: It's time to start talking about candidates.

I wanted Gailey fired last year and for them to try and hire Jeff Fisher. Everyone called me an idiot. It's not that nobody wants the job. It's that nobody wants the job and the rate of pay the Bills are willing to offer. That's the reason they keep getting bottom of the barrel coaches.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
      I wanted Gailey fired last year and for them to try and hire Jeff Fisher. Everyone called me an idiot.
      Yeah, go figure.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        Legendary Zoner
        • May 2009

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
        Yeah, go figure.
        Too bad everyone with the opinion that I'm an idiot are all the dumb **** optimist that are changing their tunes now.

Comment

• imbondz
          Democrats are people too
          • Jan 2003

Jeff Fisher never would have come here. He could basically have had any coaching job he wanted.
          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Gibby
            • Jun 2006

Bill Parcells, Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, Marty Schottenheimer, and Bill Cowher from the pro ranks. Nick Saban from Alabama.

Comment

• MTBillsFan
              • May 2003

Jim Tressel Head Coach
              Crap, give him GM too.
              Send me some wings!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Gibby View Post
                Bill Parcells, Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, Marty Schottenheimer, and Bill Cowher from the pro ranks. Nick Saban from Alabama.
                Add Santa Claus to the list. Saban makes more money than the entire Bills staff. Billick and Fassel? Fassel hasn't coached in years, no one wants him, Gailey 2.0. Billick still hasn't found another coaching job.

Realistic options, though I'm not sure they'll actually take the job, are Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, Ray Horton. Carolina is going to clean house, maybe we can land Chud to be OC along with Ray Horton as HC, Horton can also run the D.
                Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                  It's not that nobody wants the job. It's that nobody wants the job and the rate of pay the Bills are willing to offer. That's the reason they keep getting bottom of the barrel coaches.
                  I agree with this, but would add that any candidate would also have to accept the Bills working conditions. I firmly believe that this is possibly a bigger obstacle than even money.

Guys like Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Parcells, etc, are going to want some level of control within the organization. Until the Bills are willing to give up at least some level of control, you're likely to see the same type of coaches that have been here for the past decade.

-Bill

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

You guys missed the word 'realistic'. Hurkey, are you really that far in denial to think that Cowher and Fisher and guys like that would come here? By all accounts, the Bills pushed hard with real $$$$ and incentives to lure Cowher and/or Shanahan. Neither even came close to wanting the job. It wasn't because of the money.
                    Gibby, the only two realistic choices you give are Fassell and Billick. Either one would likely be a push when compared to Gailey.
                    Let's get some realistic choices that are:
                    a. desperate enough for an NFL HC job that they'd coach the Bills
                    b. has upside/not a retread.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                      • Sep 2009

Watching Cleveland '95 on the NFL Network reinforced why NFL coaches won't want to come here. Ownership instability. Belichick said he looked at every major sport and couldn't find another team that had a mid-season move announced. He wanted someone to talk to, and couldn't find another head coach who had been in a similar situation.

No coach wants to come here with the prospect of having the team moved, or ownership changing midseason.
                      Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • May 2009

I firmly believe Bill Cowher would come here.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I want to see the list of coordinators they're bringing with them.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BLeonard
                            BoB Sabermetrician
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                            You guys missed the word 'realistic'. Hurkey, are you really that far in denial to think that Cowher and Fisher and guys like that would come here? By all accounts, the Bills pushed hard with real $$$$ and incentives to lure Cowher and/or Shanahan. Neither even came close to wanting the job. It wasn't because of the money.
                            Let me ask you something: How do you know what the Bills did or didn't offer to Cowher and/or Shanahan? Keep in mind, Ralph Wilson saying he'd spend $10 million on a coach or Russ Brandon saying that "money is no object" don't mean jack. It's easy to say things like that... It's a lot more difficult to actually do them.

I have no doubts that, if offered enough money, incentives and control within the organization, guys like Bill Cowher, Jeff Fisher and other top name coaches could realistically agree to coach the Bills.

The problem is, at least IMO, the Bills aren't willing to offer what it takes for it to become realistic. Until they are, you're gonna get the same type of crap that's walked in the door for the past decade plus.

Hell, Jeff Fisher chose St. Louis... It's not like the Rams have been a powerhouse in recent years... The difference is, the Rams organization was willing to give Fisher what he wanted in order to secure his services.

-Bill

Comment

• Gibby
                              • Jun 2006

Okay how about Mel Tjeerdsma: NCAA Division 2 coach at NW Missouri State whose teams have won multiple championships. Only problem is he's retired and probably would not want to relocate from Texas. Maybe Jim Svoboda of Central Missouri. Also a D2 coach who has taken the Mules to consecutive D2 playoff berths. Or maybe Willie Fritz who turned Central Missouri into a perennial winner before being replaced by Svoboda when he went on to Sam Houston State and took them to the NCAA FCS championship game last year. Quite honestly, I don't think this team even gets an NCAA FBS HC.

Comment

Working...
                              X