PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy, but I only see one major problem with the Bills

Stewie
10-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I hate to say it, because I like the guy as a player, but the big reason we're losing is our QB, specifically because of his turnovers. I know our defense has been terrible and needs to be fixed. I'm assuming they will revert to just bad instead of terrible.

If you go back all the way through to the beginning of last season, we win 90% of the games where we win the turnover battle. We lose 100% of the games we lose the battle. We split the games where it's even. Look it up, I'm way too lazy to link it for you. I found the ESPN NFL scoreboard to be the easiest place to look at the stats.

I know it's cliche, but it's glaringly obvious to me. We don't turn the ball over, we win. Simple as that. And Fitzy likes to turn the ball over.

It's time to see if TJ has any future with this team, and that would be as a backup.

Put him in, replace wandsteadt with a ham sandwich, and I bet we win half our remaining games.

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2012, 02:39 PM
You just came to that realization now? I've been saying it since the Eagles game last year.

Stewie
10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
You just came to that realization now? I've been saying it since the Eagles game last year.

In a way. We all knew he was loose with the football when he became the full time starter. I was hoping another 2 years of maturity and experience would tighten that aspect of his game up. If anything, it's worse.

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
He truly sucks in a major way. The worse part about it, is that Chan still thinks Fitzputrid has "it."

Albany,n.y.
10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
But Chan Gailey is such a QB guru, he turned Fitzpatrick's career around. Sorry, but you can't blame Fitzpatrick, he's been great ever since Chan got his hands on him, and Lee has improved on Gailey's masterpiece. Haven't you been reading the posts here the past 3 years? Chan is a QB guru & Fitzpatrick is a shining example of his work. Imagine where we'd be without Chan & Fitzpatrick, I know I can.

kingJofNYC
10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
That's one, but there's three more. A GM/HC/DC who wouldn't hold the same position on any other team in the league. Correct all four and we may be on our way.

SpillerThrills
10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
That's one, but there's three more. A GM/HC/DC who wouldn't hold the same position on any other team in the league. Correct all four and we may be on our way.

easier said than done. don't get me wrong, I like fitz, but he's got to go. that int on the goal line was horrible, I could have made a better throw than that and I'm a lineman! the problem is that he can't find that happy medium with his throws, he's either 10 yards deep or 10 yards short of his receiver and that puts the defender in perfect position most of the time. start with a new QB and go from there, I think Gailey could work out, but he's got to stop having favorites on the team (i.e. Fitz and Thigpen).

mjt328
10-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Listen, I've been ready to replace Fitzpatrick since mid-2010.

But even Peyton Manning, Dan Marino and Joe Montana in their prime couldn't overcome this defense.

1,200 yards in TWO games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The level of pathetic-ness (not sure if that's a word, but if fits) is insane.
I don't care if the offense turns the ball over 10 times per game. Those numbers are worse than terrible.

gebobs
10-08-2012, 03:48 PM
The owner. Nothing gets fixed with Ralph,

trapezeus
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
what is really damning for Fitz is that the line looks pretty good. they run block well and the pass blocking is there most plays. Losman and Edwards got crushed under terrible lines. maybe they could have had different lives if they grew up with this run game and this line play. probably not, but fitz has time and a pocket. it's inexcusable.

I look for the bills to drop a turd larger than the last two games in arizona. sad but true.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2012, 04:10 PM
what is really damning for Fitz is that the line looks pretty good. they run block well and the pass blocking is there most plays. Losman and Edwards got crushed under terrible lines. maybe they could have had different lives if they grew up with this run game and this line play. probably not, but fitz has time and a pocket. it's inexcusable.

Fitz does play a part in that, Fitz is extremely quick with the ball. Now, he does seem to be too quick and to make horrendous throws based on blown pre-snap reads. But, he is definitely playing his part with the low sack rate.

Philagape
10-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Fitz has been bad, but the defense has been historically bad. Inconceivably bad.

Fitz turned the ball over once yesterday, and after the game was already out of hand. Chandler's fumble was way more damaging.
When the defense just lets the other team do whatever it wants, and you fall behind by 7, by 14, by 21, by 28 ... most of your playbook goes out the window.

The 49ers took the lead for good by going 79 yards in two plays. Their next drive started at their 3, and their march down the field was only briefly interrupted by an exchange of fumbles. They score right before halftime, and it's over right there.

YardRat
10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Fitzpatrick is Problem 1B...Wannstadt is 1A.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Fitz has been bad, but the defense has been historically bad. Inconceivably bad.

Fitz turned the ball over once yesterday, and after the game was already out of hand. Chandler's fumble was way more damaging.
When the defense just lets the other team do whatever it wants, and you fall behind by 7, by 14, by 21, by 28 ... most of your playbook goes out the window.

The 49ers took the lead for good by going 79 yards in two plays. Their next drive started at their 3, and their march down the field was only briefly interrupted by an exchange of fumbles. They score right before halftime, and it's over right there.

Exactly. I put the blame on Fitz last week because his turnover frenzy prevented the Bills from slowing the New England juggernaut. But this one was on the defense. At one point, while the game was still in reach, we had the 49ers backed up to 3rd and 11 on their own goal line. They conservatively hand the ball off up the middle to gain a few yards for their punter. He winds up gaining 15 yards and getting the first, on a play where the 49ers were basically playing for the punt.

YardRat
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM

I look for the bills to drop a turd larger than the last two games in arizona. sad but true.

I'm a little bit concerned about the interior...they seem to get pushed back into Fitz's face too often and too easily.

trapezeus
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
but in two first halfs, the defense allows only 14 points if you cut the last td out. even 21 points in two games isn't bad.

the bills o just doesn't have it. and what is killer is that the plays are open. fitz has underthrown or over thrown guys who have two steps on the defender. this is the NFL, when do you get 2 steps. And its no where in the vicinity for the player to have an attempt to play on the ball.

i don't like the defense, and it needs more pieces. but the offense has two great running backs and receiveres getting open. it's on one player right now.

Extremebillsfan247
10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
This team is loaded with talent. They just are not prepared properly. This team's biggest problem is coaching. They are being run by an offensive coordinator. They have no defined leader on this team. That's the difference between Gailey and a coach like Harbaugh. Harbaugh is hard on his team, everyone answers to him, and they respect him for it. He's a defined leader. Gailey only manages half of his team, and the worst part of it is that he refuses to acknowledge his QB just isn't good enough. JMO

imbondz
10-08-2012, 04:37 PM
i'm no longer a Fitz homer, but I can't look at 1200 yds given up and blame it all on Fitz. Our D is setting records for horribleness.

1) 1200 yds / 2 games. are you kidding me?

2) the first 300 yd passer and 300 yds rushing given up in 1 game EVER in the NFL.

3) 97 - 3 score in the last 7 quarters. huh?

those stats almost don't even compute. it's nothing but embarrassment

Philagape
10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
but in two first halfs, the defense allows only 14 points if you cut the last td out.

Why would you do that?

If you take out Fitz's pick, he didn't throw any picks. You can do that with anything.

better days
10-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Well, I said last summer if Fitz played like he did at the start of last year GREAT, but if he played like the last half of last year it was time to dump him & move on. I am ready for TJ TOMORROW.

coastal
10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
do you people just make **** up and throw it at the wall for the sake of starting a new thread.

no one in history of the NFL has given up 300 yards of rushing and 300 yards of passing in one game.

and its the QBs fault?

djjimkelly
10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
look i dont want to pile on fitz but.......

our defense wouldnt be so putrid if our offense could stay on the field and sustain drives.

fitz throwing over 20 is useless and when a defense doesnt have to remotely respect guarding a ball in the air more then 20 yards the O cant sustain drives puts the d on the field more and by the time u get to the second hald they arent burnt out and mentallly done. i know they shouldnt be mentally done but thats sports they know the offense cant score so why try

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2012, 06:58 PM
As I was watching the game yesterday. The cameras were showing the guys on defense. They were all putting their helmets on to get ready to go back on the field. The offense was in a huddle right before a play and it was 3rd and 6. At that point, it was obvious to me that the guys on defense have no faith in the offense. I believe that's why they have given up after the first series of the second half. I would too. Anyone else remember the reports coming out of camp that the offense wasn't able to move the ball on these guys very well?

gebobs
10-09-2012, 09:27 AM
do you people just make **** up and throw it at the wall for the sake of starting a new thread.

no one in history of the NFL has given up 300 yards of rushing and 300 yards of passing in one game.

and its the QBs fault?Fix the QB and you fix 40% of the problem. Fixing the other 60% will take a lot more.

Mr. Pink
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
If you had a real QB who wasn't turning the ball over, making better throws and extending drives then opposing offenses wouldn't have the ball long enough to roll up 600 yards and 45 points. So yes, in a way, it is partly Fitz's fault.

Stewie
10-10-2012, 06:47 AM

and its the QBs fault?

Most of us are basing opinions on more than one game.

jamze132
10-10-2012, 08:24 AM
I think if Fitz was more consistent, it would allow the defense to be more agressive instead of sitting back waiting for the opposing offense to beat them. If we score, we win. The defense will play well enough to win if we score.

trapezeus
10-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Why would you do that?

If you take out Fitz's pick, he didn't throw any picks. You can do that with anything.

you do that because the d came up with a turnover with 30 seconds left at their 17 with the team getting ball in the second half. there is no reason they shouldhave had to come back onto the field with a short field. it was on the offense that they kept a team that put up 34 points against the jets on the east coast to 10 points. They had a goal line stand. They made some plays. And simliarly, in NE, they held to fg which NE missed. That wasn't enough for the offense. they needed a turnover on the 30 two times before they got their act in gear.

they aren't great and they have zero motivation to not be embarassed, but there is talent there for the 11 of them to get something accomplished. they do need an offense to be able to drive the field a little on a consistent basis.

Philagape
10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
you do that because the d came up with a turnover with 30 seconds left at their 17 with the team getting ball in the second half. there is no reason they shouldhave had to come back onto the field with a short field.

That doesn't excuse their failure; they gave up a big play on that short field. And why was the field short?
Because they allowed the 49ers to drive from their own 3-yard-line, so the field wasn't so short then.

trapezeus
10-10-2012, 04:28 PM
fair enough and i feel like i am defending an autistic client, but again, they were on the field forever during the game. who's training manual is to prep the d to play 55 minutes a game? obviously an exgeration, but TOP was 36minutes sF to 23 minutes Buf. Not good.

and the bills d stopped 3 and outs early. and when they gave up a couple plays, the offense trots out and goes 3 or 4 and out. and then they bend but don't break get the ball back with little time. and the bills go out on a short drive again fumble it right back.

I'm not saying that the defense is awesome. and the lack of character they show in the way they give up is appauling. but you can't help but wonder why they look so much better when they get help from points.

and fitz is largely responsible. and the line is also starting to become patchwork per usual.

YardRat
10-10-2012, 05:41 PM
you do that because the d came up with a turnover with 30 seconds left at their 17 with the team getting ball in the second half. there is no reason they shouldhave had to come back onto the field with a short field. it was on the offense that they kept a team that put up 34 points against the jets on the east coast to 10 points. They had a goal line stand. They made some plays. And simliarly, in NE, they held to fg which NE missed. That wasn't enough for the offense. they needed a turnover on the 30 two times before they got their act in gear.

they aren't great and they have zero motivation to not be embarassed, but there is talent there for the 11 of them to get something accomplished. they do need an offense to be able to drive the field a little on a consistent basis.

That has zero to do with Fitz, in that specific case, and I don't care what anybody says the defense was playing like **** the entire game against San Fran. The only reason the score stayed close during the first half is because the 49ers offense kept shooting themselves in the foot.

First drive, 3 and 1, a 21 yard reception to Davis wiped out by holding.
Second drive, a 53 yard pass to Davis and a FG. Granted, a decent goal line stand.
Third drive, 2 and 9, a 41 yard pass negated by a chop block.
Fourth drive, a 43 yard TD pass.
Fifth drive (starting from their own 3 yard line) 71 yards and 6 minutes off the clock before the fumble.
Sixth drive, 1 play, 28 yard TD.

They were having their way with our defense right from the start.

BertSquirtgum
10-10-2012, 07:44 PM
That has zero to do with Fitz, in that specific case, and I don't care what anybody says the defense was playing like **** the entire game against San Fran. The only reason the score stayed close during the first half is because the 49ers offense kept shooting themselves in the foot.

First drive, 3 and 1, a 21 yard reception to Davis wiped out by holding.
Second drive, a 53 yard pass to Davis and a FG. Granted, a decent goal line stand.
Third drive, 2 and 9, a 41 yard pass negated by a chop block.
Fourth drive, a 43 yard TD pass.
Fifth drive (starting from their own 3 yard line) 71 yards and 6 minutes off the clock before the fumble.
Sixth drive, 1 play, 28 yard TD.

They were having their way with our defense right from the start.

I can also argue those plays wouldn't have happened if sheppard wasn't chop blocked etc.....

YardRat
10-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I can also argue those plays wouldn't have happened if sheppard wasn't chop blocked etc.....

That would be nothing more than speculation.

DynaPaul
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Fitz sucks. It's too bad too because I bought a black Bills jersey and his name was the only one I could get.