PDA

View Full Version : Why is Fred getting more carries than CJ?

Ed
10-08-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm not trying to hate on Fred, but he looks slow right now and he's not really making any plays in the running game. Our offense looks way more dangerous and effective with CJ carrying the load, but now he's taking a backseat to Fred again. He's our most dangerous weapon. What gives?

BillsFever21
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Because Gailey is an idiot. There is no reason why Jackson should be the starting RB. He looks like an old injured man out there right now taking carries from a young player who should be our future...Oh wait he is an old injured man right now.

Another great move by the Bills front office by jumping the gun and giving him a contract extension before seeing how he came back from injury. Especially when Spiller proved himself last year.

I like Jackson as much as anyone for his professionalism and production over the years but this is a business on both sides. You pay a player on his future production and not on his past production. At least him and his family got paid though. It won't make a difference for us so screw it. I just don't want to see him taking carries away from Spiller. He would still be good as a backup and change of pace to give Spiller some rest but that is it.

Ed
10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm not concerned about the contract extension because I'm glad he's still here and I think it's a fair deal, but CJ is our best weapon and we're just not using him. There's no excuse for that.

DraftBoy
10-08-2012, 06:15 PM
As Ive said numerous times because Gailey is an extremely loyal coach.

X-Era
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I honestly don't know. I think it's kind of clear who should start at this point.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Gailey might consider Freddy further along in his recovery.

YardRat
10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
It might be a more legitimate question if neither were playing hurt.

Mouldsie
10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Yes, we were wrong to keep Fred Jackson, last year's leading rusher when playing.

Bills fans are the best!

Jaybird
10-08-2012, 08:20 PM
bad coaching!

BillsFever21
10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes, we were wrong to keep Fred Jackson, last year's leading rusher when playing.

Bills fans are the best!

We could've still had him this season without giving him a contract extension. He still had another year left on his contract. We didn't NEED to give him an extension before seeing what a 31 year old RB had left in the tank after a leg injury. So far it hasn't looked like much.

It's good for Jackson and his family. More power to him but this is a business on both sides. You pay a player on what his future production should be and not his past.

Same as we jumped the gun on contract extensions for Jauron and Fitzpatrick over the years we also did it with Jackson. There wasn't any need to rush any of them. At least Jackson earned his money first but it still wasn't a wise decision from a business standpoint when you have a young RB drafted in the Top 10 two years before that who proved himself while Jackson was injured.

Either way it shouldn't affect any moves we make in the next couple years but if it does then it will come back to haunt us. Most teams would've waited to see how he came back from his injury before giving him a large raise and contract extension. I'm happy for Jackson and his family but that is just another example of how inept this front office is. When they do spend money they don't spend it wisely or very timely.

Mouldsie
10-08-2012, 09:01 PM
We rewarded the heart and soul of this team who has been under paid and under appreciated his entire life with a modest contract that places his salary in the lower half of the NFL and less than Spiller.

STFU

We have a QB spraying passes in random directions, opposing WR's running free down the field, LB's and DL getting blow up every play, coaches that cant coach, etc and this is your criticism.

X-Era
10-09-2012, 06:02 AM

Bills fans are the best!
Did you happen to notice that CJ was the leading rusher this year before the injury?

GingerP
10-09-2012, 06:55 AM
I think they should both be playing a lot. Given their options on offense, their best bet to funnel the offense through the 2 halfbacks. They should be a run heavy team, not a spread team that sprays the ball around with a backup-caliber QB. The more Jackson and Spiller and less of Fitzpatrick the better, IMO.

RedEyE
10-09-2012, 07:10 AM
To Fred's defense he is wearing that brace right now. And I think playing Fred over CJ says a lot about CJs injury. CJs shoulder injury is more recent and I think requires more time to heal than what they are letting on.

trapezeus
10-09-2012, 07:24 AM
To Fred's defense he is wearing that brace right now. And I think playing Fred over CJ says a lot about CJs injury. CJs shoulder injury is more recent and I think requires more time to heal than what they are letting on.

but they were fine putting him in a goal line situation with a 1 touchdown lead two weeks ago.

i'm not saying you are wrong, but it does speak to their ineptness.

I agree with original post, fred looks very slow. i also agree, both are hurt. and now there is a patchwork line going into place. Why have we heard this all before? I just think we haven't seen the worst of it. that's the worst part of this season. by the time november 11 rolls around to play new england again, they are going to get smoked.

mercyrule
10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Because Freddie's better.

Ed
10-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Because Freddie's better.
He sure isn't showing that this season.

BillsFever21
10-09-2012, 04:39 PM
We rewarded the heart and soul of this team who has been under paid and under appreciated his entire life with a modest contract that places his salary in the lower half of the NFL and less than Spiller.

STFU

We have a QB spraying passes in random directions, opposing WR's running free down the field, LB's and DL getting blow up every play, coaches that cant coach, etc and this is your criticism.

Man you are something else. You must be one of them types that hold feelings toward a player that you don't even know personally. He still would've been here this year.

There are many problems with this team. For you to claim that the Jackson extension was the only criticism I have with this horrible team then you are being delusional. That is just another example of one of the many mistakes this team has made.

He wasn't going anywhere this year. Do you seriously think he will outperform that contract the next few years? Not a chance in hell. Do you really think he should be starting or taking valuable carries away from Spiller? I sure hope not. Spiller is the only big play threat we have on this team. Jackson has looked slow and old.

You obviously must be the type that holds on to a player's past production and become to loyal to players and base your decisions off of that. Players come and go but the team is still there.

I don't care if he got his money. I don't believe it was a smart business decision but it's not my money and good for him. It wasn't needed that early though and the last thing that should happen is for him to be taking carries away from our main playmaker on offense who is young and the future of the team.

You are way too sensitive towards any negative comments about Jackson. I'm sure there are other players too. This is the Buffalo Bills and not the Buffalo Jackson's. I like Jackson too but it we jumped the gun on giving him a contract extension. Also the money he got was pretty good for a RB especially one coming off a leg injury at 31 years old. He is showing he has lost a step so far this season.

When you had Spiller who proved himself there was no urgency to re-sign him to a contract extension. What's done is done on that end but there isn't any reason why Spiller shouldn't be getting the majority of the touches. Rotating series between the two doesn't work for either of them. A RB needs to get into a rhythm and a groove and that hampers that. Spiller is young and explosive and needs to be the focal point of our offense.

JoeMama
10-09-2012, 04:45 PM
The offense is more dynamic when CJ Spiller carries the load.

He's a homerun threat.

I like Freddy Jackson and he's a great grind it out kind of back who deserves his share of carries.

But the split should be 2-1 Spiller now.

He's an added dimension we need to get more big plays out of our RBs so we don't ask for so many from Fitz.

Sans the bonehead goal line fumble, CJ's been a hell of a player and finally seems to know how to run inside and out. Give him the reigns.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Gee.

Spiller's in there for two games, lights it up against the lowly Browns and frequent punching bag the Chiefs, and all of a sudden he's the Messiah.

Jackson's been a consistent force for years, comes back in New England and once the opponents started realizing the Bills literally have no passing game and Fitzpatrick's arm is shot worse than Unitas's in Super Bowl III, they know how to stop it. Even if they put Spiller in there he wouldn't be any better without a passing attack to alleviate the pressure.

Now I know a lot of people here that are desperate to prove that drafting CJ instead of Bryan Bulaga was the right decision, even though it wasn't. But putting Spiller in the game is not going to improve the situation. Whether it's Fred or CJ, Tashard Choice or Bubba off the street, when the team is this one-dimensional, they will all be easily stuffed. Defenses pick these things up, you know.