PDA

View Full Version : Bills GM Buddy Nix rips team's D

BLeonard
10-09-2012, 05:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8483150/buffalo-bills-gm-buddy-nix-calls-defense-lack-urgency

"When you miss tackles, usually it's one of two things: It's talent or lack of effort," Nix said. "And we've seen these guys do it before so I think they can. But we've got to get that urgency back somehow."

As for Williams, Nix said it's unfair for the player to take the brunt of the blame, because it would be difficult for anyone to play up to the high expectations that were raised around Buffalo after Williams signed a six-year, $100 million contract.

"It's not just Mario. Mario actually plays better than people give him credit for," Nix said, noting how Williams draws attention from opposing offenses that should allow others to succeed.

"Not to defend him, he can play better. We expect him to, but so can everybody else," Nix said. "I mean, we all need to play better. ... I don't care who's getting paid what, none of us have earned it the last couple of weeks."

-Bill

YardRat
10-09-2012, 06:00 PM
That's what you get when you hire an out-of-touch, over-rated dumbass to run that side of the ball.

kingJofNYC
10-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Profootballfocus has a quick write up about the game, Mario was the most effective lineman, Dareus the worst, with Kyle/Anderson almost as bad.

Joe B will have his OL/DL breakdown soon.

DynaPaul
10-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Why doesn't Nix just admit that the defense is deflated because they know that Fitz is going to throw the game away almost every week?

kingJofNYC
10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Rather have him admit that his drafting is ****.

coastal
10-09-2012, 06:25 PM
"It's not just Mario. Mario actually plays better than people give him credit for," Nix said, noting how Williams draws attention from opposing offenses that should allow others to succeed.

wtf... again... I saw him singled most if not all of the day.

BillsFever21
10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Nix is as clueless as the rest of the staff. He is the one that hired them so what does that tell you. His drafts haven't been very good either. We've got a few starting caliber players in 3 years worth of drafts but that's it.

I'd tell Gailey that if our defense doesn't improve in the next few weeks then Wanny needs to be fired at the bye week and have an interim coach take over for the rest of the season. By improve I don't mean just do a better. You could say 30 points a game is an improvement. They better be showing that he has the ability to turn them around and make them a respectable defense.

I'd also give him the warning that if the overall team doesn't improve that he won't last the season as the HC or at least make it past this season. He probably doesn't want that though because it will admit failure on his part. Most likely Ralph wouldn't fire him and eat his contract too and he would stay on and get a few more years while we started the process of another coaching staff.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-09-2012, 07:41 PM
the fact is spiller, dareus, gilmore, shepp, maybe bradham, have been good picks, IN 3 YEARS. and now the top pick, dareus, has a motivation issue...( THAT IS REALLY BAD)

the most horrible fact is this. when nix took over a horrible team, he neglected the qb spot, which would have brought some hope. now we have to restart, AGAIN......

cookie G
10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Sorry Buddy, it was your decision to use 90% of the draft and FA assets on the defense. It is your baby.

Maybe you can change the scheme again.

Or draft another defensive back.

imbondz
10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
it would be difficult for anyone to play up to the high expectations that were raised around Buffalo after Williams signed a six-year, $100 million contract.

Bull****!!

let's blame the fans for setting tooo high of expectations about a player who signs a $100 million contract.

OpIv37
10-09-2012, 10:02 PM
That's what you get when you hire an out-of-touch, over-rated dumbass to run that side of the ball.

wait, this is the Bills.

When you say "out-of-touch, over-rated dumbass" you have to be a lot more specific. It could apply to Ralph, Nix, Gailey or Wannstadt, at least.

Extremebillsfan247
10-09-2012, 10:19 PM
it would be difficult for anyone to play up to the high expectations that were raised around Buffalo after Williams signed a six-year, $100 million contract.

Bull****!!

let's blame the fans for setting tooo high of expectations about a player who signs a $100 million contract. For real, signing a player for that amount of money, he better be your best hitter. He's not even better than the average DE's around the league right now. We should expect more out of a 100 million dollar player who is 29th in tackles and 32nd in sacks among just Defensive Ends in the NFL. That's pathetic production considering the amount this team spent on him in my opinion.

BillsFever21
10-09-2012, 10:26 PM
wait, this is the Bills.

When you say "out-of-touch, over-rated dumbass" you have to be a lot more specific. It could apply to Ralph, Nix, Gailey or Wannstadt, at least.

Isn't that the truth. We have a trio that nobody else in the NFL wanted for the position their in except for the Bills.

We have a 60 year old HC that lasted a few years his first time around and that absolutely nobody would touch over the past decade or so as their HC. He was even fired as an OC. He ran off to college football for a number of years and failed there too. Somehow he ends up in Buffalo as the HC though.

We have a 70+ year old first time GM who was decent in his last position but that nobody besides Buffalo wanted as their GM even after all these years in football. If you're almost 70 years old and nobody has offered you a GM position there's usually a reason for it. Not in Buffalo though.

We have a DC who spent quite a bit of time as a HC but failed miserably. He also ran off to college after that just like our HC and failed there too. Upon being shown the door at Pitt nobody wanted him as their DC until Buffalo came knocking on his door.

So the three main pieces of our team wasn't good enough to get a call from any other team for years for the position that they're in now. What's even worse our HC/DC combination had already failed once together in Miami but the roles were just reversed. Wanny was the HC and Gailey was the OC. I guess Buffalo thought the outcome would be different with the roles reversed.

Our problem is that we have three guys out of position. Nix and Gailey are both a step above the level they should be at in the NFL. Wanny may have found a DC in the NFL outside of Buffalo but even that wasn't a guarantee. One hell of a staff we have assembled here in Buffalo and some wonder why we're not any good.

BillsFever21
10-09-2012, 10:32 PM
For real, signing a player for that amount of money, he better be your best hitter. He's not even better than the average DE's around the league right now. We should expect more out of a 100 million dollar player who is 29th in tackles and 32nd in sacks among just Defensive Ends in the NFL. That's pathetic production considering the amount this team spent on him in my opinion.

Outside of a couple years Mario Williams was never more then an above average DE. Williams didn't pay himself the 100 million dollar contract with 50 million of it guaranteed and nobody else probably would've given him that kind of good money. He would've got a good chunk of change but not that much.

This one is on Buddy Nix since he's the one who gave him the money. Just like with Fitzpatrick after a few great games after years of average play before that. The player isn't going to turn it down and say give me less money then that. It falls on Nix and the Bills front office to make sure they don't overpay for guys or make the wrong decision on guys they should pay.

You could even lump Merriman into this group to an extent. He extorted about 10 million from us and played a handful of games. Nobody else was going to give him 7 million dollars last season except for old Buddy Nix and the Buffalo Bills. At least he didn't hang onto him for another season for another 7 million give or take.

djjimkelly
10-09-2012, 11:25 PM

wtf... again... I saw him singled most if not all of the day.

not true watch game again

BertSquirtgum
10-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Buddy Nix should rip Gailey's and Wannstedt's contracts up and fire them. Then he should rip his own contract up and resign. Bunch of rebel idiots running this team.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Rather have him admit that his drafting is ****.

carrington- solid backup, i guess

moats- should be a 3rd down pass rusher...

dareus- great flashes, but not playing well this year

williams- sucks

shepp- avg, thumper

searcy- w/e backup

gilmore- looks good

brooks- looked good in preseason
bradham- looks good

the d picks have been really problematic...

coastal
10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
not true watch game again
People have been telling me this for three straight weeks.

my eyes and the stats are telling me otherwise.

DraftBoy
10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
People have been telling me this for three straight weeks.

my eyes and the stats are telling me otherwise.

Your eyes are apparently wrong, a number of analysts commented about the number of extra help Mario faced against SF.

Mahdi
10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Your eyes are apparently wrong, a number of analysts commented about the number of extra help Mario faced against SF.

I saw him singled up quite often and did nothing. Yes of course he gets chipped, but what is he doing when he isn't being chipped? Still nothing...

Some people are acting as if Osi, JPP, Allen, Freeney, Cole, Ware don't get chipped. They get everything done to them but through the course of a game they produce, sooner or later...

kingJofNYC
10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
No on that DL is making plays. Kyle is the only one who's had an average to above average year so far, everyone else has played below average to terrible. We keep focusing on Mario, but who's bright idea was it to make Mark Anderson an every down player even though he can't play the run? Dareus has been a no show against good competition. Until they all start playing well, this team is in for more beatings.

Cardinals can't run or protect, they should feast on that OL, and pad their numbers. Kind of hate the fact that Zona is the next team, will skew the numbers for sure.

coastal
10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
The analysts are idiots.

DraftBoy
10-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I saw him singled up quite often and did nothing. Yes of course he gets chipped, but what is he doing when he isn't being chipped? Still nothing...

Some people are acting as if Osi, JPP, Allen, Freeney, Cole, Ware don't get chipped. They get everything done to them but through the course of a game they produce, sooner or later...

Well if he's getting chipped than he's not being singled. Its fine to be critical of the lack of production but its kind of important to at least be honest in that critique.

bf1
10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Well Bumbling Buddy, I've been criticizing YOUR lack of urgency since day one.

DraftBoy
10-10-2012, 11:46 AM
The analysts are idiots.

I dont disagree, but its clear that he's not being singled with the amount of chipping SF did.

Mahdi
10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Well if he's getting chipped than he's not being singled. Its fine to be critical of the lack of production but its kind of important to at least be honest in that critique.

You can be chipped on one play and singled on another. He is not singled 100% of the time but he certainly isn't doubled or chipped 100% of the time either.

I see him singled a lot and again, he does nothing. He looks slow and weak with no pop.

Mahdi
10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
No on that DL is making plays. Kyle is the only one who's had an average to above average year so far, everyone else has played below average to terrible. We keep focusing on Mario, but who's bright idea was it to make Mark Anderson an every down player even though he can't play the run? Dareus has been a no show against good competition. Until they all start playing well, this team is in for more beatings.

Cardinals can't run or protect, they should feast on that OL, and pad their numbers. Kind of hate the fact that Zona is the next team, will skew the numbers for sure.

Yep they feasted on Cleveland and KC. Two teams with weak OL. And they acted as if they won the SB after every sack. They did nothing against NY, NE and SF because they have actual talent on the OL. Now they will play probably the worst OL in football and if they produce they will think they actually achieved something...

DraftBoy
10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
You can be chipped on one play and singled on another. He is not singled 100% of the time but he certainly isn't doubled or chipped 100% of the time either.

I see him singled a lot and again, he does nothing. He looks slow and weak with no pop.

Well I can only go with what people say who are reviewing the film. Joe and others all are saying Mario saw a lot more chips and doubles this week than the past. If you disagree that's fine, but at some point you have to at least expect for somebody to want you to prove it.

Mahdi
10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Well I can only go with what people say who are reviewing the film. Joe and others all are saying Mario saw a lot more chips and doubles this week than the past. If you disagree that's fine, but at some point you have to at least expect for somebody to want you to prove it.

I don't doubt they are telling the truth. But Mario did ZERO in the game, and my point is that although he was doubled more than before he still did nothing the rest of the time...

My other point is that other DEs in the league get the same treatment and STILL perform at a high level. So really, there is no excuse.

DraftBoy
10-10-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't doubt they are telling the truth. But Mario did ZERO in the game, and my point is that although he was doubled more than before he still did nothing the rest of the time...

My other point is that other DEs in the league get the same treatment and STILL perform at a high level. So really, there is no excuse.

And nobody has disagreed with those points for the most part, the issue that has come up is with regard to the frequency some are claiming he is seeing single team protection.

trapezeus
10-10-2012, 12:08 PM
regardsless of singles and doubles, the front four by name require some level of blocking scheme to stop aside from one on one every time. the fact that Wanny doesn't bring linebackers to confuse the OL to make a choice is making the job of the front four that much harder. The linemen just T up on the front four and know not a single other guy is coming. The LB's need to shoot some gaps and get OL worried that they are missing assignments. Then you are going to see the front four be a whole lot more successful. it's just too bland at this point. you review the bills D for a week, i think you know how to stop them with 99% confidence.

Lets get a blitz, lets get some sugar rushes, lets get some CB blitzes. They have 5 weeks of film to know that their current way is not producing at all.

If hte arizona game doesn't look immediately different, there is relaly no reason for Wanny to be here after the bye.

DraftBoy
10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
regardsless of singles and doubles, the front four by name require some level of blocking scheme to stop aside from one on one every time. the fact that Wanny doesn't bring linebackers to confuse the OL to make a choice is making the job of the front four that much harder. The linemen just T up on the front four and know not a single other guy is coming. The LB's need to shoot some gaps and get OL worried that they are missing assignments. Then you are going to see the front four be a whole lot more successful. it's just too bland at this point. you review the bills D for a week, i think you know how to stop them with 99% confidence.

Lets get a blitz, lets get some sugar rushes, lets get some CB blitzes. They have 5 weeks of film to know that their current way is not producing at all.

If hte arizona game doesn't look immediately different, there is relaly no reason for Wanny to be here after the bye.

While I entirely agree and would actually love to see a zero down look (no player with his hand on the ground, all seven box defenders standing at the LOS) its just not going to happen. They may add some more twists, and continue with the adjustments they made last week, using some wide nine and DT shading OC stuff but for the most part there aren't going to be much in the way of blitzes.

Mahdi
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
While I entirely agree and would actually love to see a zero down look (no player with his hand on the ground, all seven box defenders standing at the LOS) its just not going to happen. They may add some more twists, and continue with the adjustments they made last week, using some wide nine and DT shading OC stuff but for the most part there aren't going to be much in the way of blitzes.

I remember the most exciting game we ever played on defense was against the Cowboys on Monday night Football. We played the 'creep defense' with all three LBs standing on the LoS at the snap and confusing Romo. It worked brilliantly and led to several turnovers.

We never saw that defense again... What we should be seeing more of is some DB blitzes. We have Byrd and Wilson and Scott who have great instincts and should be let loose.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bradham sent on a blitz or two or Barnett.

Albany,n.y.
10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Buddy is doing a great job. Chan is a genius.
Sorry, I don't have time for a longer post, but I just love the feel of the sand around my head & I'm going back to burying my head in it.

stuckincincy
10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I remember the most exciting game we ever played on defense was against the Cowboys on Monday night Football. We played the 'creep defense' with all three LBs standing on the LoS at the snap and confusing Romo. It worked brilliantly and led to several turnovers.

We never saw that defense again... What we should be seeing more of is some DB blitzes. We have Byrd and Wilson and Scott who have great instincts and should be let loose.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bradham sent on a blitz or two or Barnett.

I'm a fan of the occasional db blitz. Speed running around an occupied OL. Running back is blocking or releasing.

BertSquirtgum
10-10-2012, 04:08 PM

I saw him doubled by two lineman a lot during the game. That was not the case in the New England game, but he WAS doubled in the SF game. Quite a bit actually.

Mouldsie
10-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Profootballfocus has a quick write up about the game, Mario was the most effective lineman, Dareus the worst, with Kyle/Anderson almost as bad.

Joe B will have his OL/DL breakdown soon.

Interesting.

And as far as people claiming we gave up or showed no heart.... at one point towards the end of the 3rd Qtr I believe Mario called a meeting among all the DL and got on his knee to speak to them. I dont know what it was about as I was far away but he showed me that he cared at least.

Bulldog
10-13-2012, 07:11 AM
This I great and all, but wouldn't one think that getting kicked in the teeth by NE the previous week would have been enough motivation?