PDA

View Full Version : FREE Fantasy Football Leagues

Halbert
07-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi All,

As I have done the last several years, I will be setting up and running some FREE Fantasy Football leagues. I do this because 1) I love playing FF; 2) I hate paying for it; and 3) I like to play in leagues with people I know because it’s MUCH more fun that way.

I will be doing several leagues with different parameters - i.e. Open leagues, winner leagues, live draft and list leagues, leagues with defensive players, etc. The goal is to have 3-5 high quality leagues with active owners - versus me playing in 10-12 where the quality is questionable.

The single biggest problem with setting up free leagues is the plague of dead teams - those teams that are abandoned by their owners and left to die slowly. Dead teams are very frustrating for the remaining owners and often ruin what was a potentially fun league. Imagine being tied with your friend for the last playoff spot on the last weekend of the regular season, only to see that while you’re playing the best team in the league your buddy is playing the team abandoned in the second week and now only has 4 active players. On top of that, dead teams can’t trade; dead teams don’t ever drop players; and dead teams allow more of your opponents to get better players on waivers.

Ironically, teams that do poorly at the start of the season often end up strong at the end due to their ability to pick up the best Free Agents early in the season - when great pickups are much more plentiful. By the end of the season there is almost nothing of real value, except for bye-week fill-ins. A coach who abandons their team, however, never learns this lesson.

This season I am seeking coaches who are sincerely interested in playing a full season in a FREE league where others want to do the same. Obviously, extenuating circumstances happen that make FF unimportant, but leaving a team to die because you didn’t like your draft or you lost the first 3 games does not count.

In an attempt to avoid dead teams, I will be trying the following strategy. Please forgive me - if you’ve never tried to organize a league this might make me sound ridiculously anal (shut up, EE. lol). But less-anal methods have not avoided dead teams the last couple of years. For those who understand, this will help all of us in the league(s) have a much better time at our dumb little hobby. lol.

1. Set up the leagues as early as possible to give us maximum time to find “good” coaches.
2. Require a permanent email address, preferably a work address (Yahoo, Hotmail or other disposable accounts do not qualify). NOTE: You can use ANY address as your contact address once you’re in the league, but for this process it needs to be permanent. I will NOT publish your permanent address anywhere. This should help to avoid an impatient owner from disappearing without a trace.
3. Require a response to an email agreeing to the terms of the league.
4. Posting the online names in the league thread of all approved owners who have agreed to the terms.
5. Giving preference to regular posters or personal friends of reliable posters who can vouch for them.
6. Use optional features that make it easier for coaches to stay competitive - i.e. whenever possible use “flex” slots - they allow you to start either a RB or WR in a spot, making it easier to find a point producing starter to keep you competitive even after injury, bye week, demotion, etc.
7. In most leagues, maximize the number of playoff teams so that most teams are in it right up until the end.

Despite the way it may have sounded up until now, I am a very impartial Commissioner. I will attempt to set up the league so once it starts the system will take care of everything - in other words, I become just another coach. I will ONLY intervene when it appears there is cheating of some sort going on (cheating of any type will not be tolerated) or if something unanticipated comes up that needs attention.

Please forgive me for the FF-nazi tone of this post but I want to be perfectly clear in what I’m trying to set up. Trust me - you’d be surprised at what people try, and succeed, at getting away with in these leagues. For those that like FF as much as I do, doing it this way before the season starts will be a VERY good thing that allows us all to have a much more FUN season once the real games begin.

Finally, you don’t have to be a FF veteran to participate. As long as you keep your team active you’ll be competitive and are very welcome to play. In fact, watching the moves of other active veteran coaches is a great way to learn how to play the game. We’re really just looking to have FUN, and in FF that means having all coaches play through to the end of the season.

And remember - it’s all FREE!!! Keep your eyes open for postings regarding the new leagues I’ll be setting up.

See you in the leagues!

Halbert
07-07-2003, 10:24 PM
League #1: BillsBoardFansLiveNoQuit#1

This league is open to anyone who is interested in playing and agrees to the following terms. This league is FREE. This league is not officially affiliated with any fan site or bulletin board and is intended for FUN only!

Following are the parameters for this league:

League Host: Yahoo
Draft Date: Monday, August 25
Draft Time: 9:05pm
Draft Type: Live Draft
League Name: BillsBoardFansLiveNoQuit#1
Maximum Number of Teams: 12
Maximum Moves: No maximum
Maximum Trades: No maximum
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head League
Waiver Time: 2 days
Last Trade Date: Friday, November 28
Trade Reject Time: 2 days
Playoffs: Week 14, 15 and 16 (8 teams)
Starting Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, TE, WR/RB, WR/RB, K, DEF, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench
Statistical Categories (Offense): Passing Yards (25)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (10)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (10)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2 Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Statistical Categories (Kickers): Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (2)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (1)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (0)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (1)
Statistical Categories (Defensive Team): 0 Pts Allowed (12)
1-6 Pts Allowed (7)
7-13 Pts Allowed (4)
14-20 Pts Allowed (1)
21-27 Pts Allowed (0)
28-34 Pts Allowed (-1)
35+ Pts Allowed (-3)

League Terms:

1. You make a personal promise that you will not abandon your team, except under extenuating circumstances (i.e. a serious illness, life changing event, converted to Amish and now electronics are Satan’s tools, etc.).
2. Commitment that you will not drop out of the league within two (2) weeks (firm) prior to the draft date because finding a replacement could be very difficult at that point.
3. You promise that whenever possible you will keep your team current and competitive. That means you will not start injured players who you know aren’t going to play, bye week players, or other obvious non-starters who will get no points to stay in your lineup.
4. You will provide me with a permanent email address, preferably a work address (Yahoo, Hotmail or other disposable accounts do not qualify). NOTE: You can use ANY address as your published contact address once you’re in the league, but for this process you need to give me one that is permanent. I will NOT publish your permanent address anywhere without your permission.
5. You make a personal promise that you will not attempt to cheat in any manner (you’d think you wouldn’t have to require this, wouldn’t you?). You will not attempt to control more than one team in the league. You will not attempt to collude with any other owners in any manner. You will not drop players because your team can’t make the playoffs any more.
6. You will respond to an email agreeing to the terms of the league.
7. You approve to posting your online name in the league thread of all approved owners who have agreed to the terms.

If you are interested please send me a PM or email to Halbert013@yahoo.com containing THE NAME OF THE LEAGUE YOU’RE INTERESTED IN and your permanent email address. If you are not a regular poster here, or you think I might not be familiar with you, you might want to provide the online name of another regular poster who you think will vouch for you and have them send me a message also. If you are new here, I will also accept individuals who provide a first name and a contact phone number, which I will verify with a call.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 10:25 PM
League #2: BillsBoardWinnersLive#2

NOTE: Winners League

This league is open to anyone who has previously won a FF league and agrees to the following terms. This league is FREE. This league is not officially affiliated with any fan site or bulletin board and is intended for FUN only!

Following are the parameters for this league:

League Host: Yahoo
Draft Date: Wednesday, August 27
Draft Time: 9:35pm
Draft Type: Live Draft
League Name: BillsBoardWinnersLive#2
Maximum Number of Teams: 10
Maximum Moves: No maximum
Maximum Trades: No maximum
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head League
Waiver Time: 2 days
Last Trade Date: Friday, November 28
Trade Reject Time: 2 days
Playoffs: Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)
Starting Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, TE, WR/RB, WR/RB, K, DEF, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench, Bench
Statistical Categories (Offense): Passing Yards (25)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (10)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (10)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2 Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Statistical Categories (Kickers): Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (2)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (1)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (0)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Point After Attempt Missed (1)
Statistical Categories (Defensive Team): 0 Pts Allowed (12)
1-6 Pts Allowed (7)
7-13 Pts Allowed (4)
14-20 Pts Allowed (1)
21-27 Pts Allowed (0)
28-34 Pts Allowed (-1)
35+ Pts Allowed (-3)

League Terms:

1. You make a personal promise that you will not abandon your team, except under extenuating circumstances (i.e. a serious illness, life changing event, converted to Amish and now electronics are Satan’s tools, etc.).
2. Commitment that you will not drop out of the league within two (2) weeks (firm) prior to the draft date because finding a replacement could be very difficult at that point.
3. You promise that whenever possible you will keep your team current and competitive. That means you will not start injured players who you know aren’t going to play, bye week players, or other obvious non-starters who will get no points to stay in your lineup.
4. You will provide me with a permanent email address, preferably a work address (Yahoo, Hotmail or other disposable accounts do not qualify). NOTE: You can use ANY address as your published contact address once you’re in the league, but for this process you need to give me one that is permanent. I will NOT publish your permanent address anywhere without your permission.
5. You make a personal promise that you will not attempt to cheat in any manner (you’d think you wouldn’t have to require this, wouldn’t you?). You will not attempt to control more than one team in the league. You will not attempt to collude with any other owners in any manner. You will not drop players because your team can’t make the playoffs any more.
6. You will respond to an email agreeing to the terms of the league.
7. You approve to posting your online name in the league thread of all approved owners who have agreed to the terms.

If you are interested please send me a PM or email to Halbert013@yahoo.com containing THE NAME OF THE LEAGUE YOU’RE INTERESTED IN, the name/site of the league you previously won, and your permanent email address. If you are not a regular poster here, or you think I might not be familiar with you, you might want to provide the online name of another regular poster who you think will vouch for you and have them send me a message also. If you are new here, I will also accept individuals who provide a first name and a contact phone number, which I will verify with a call.

BillsMan80
07-13-2003, 11:53 PM
I'll go in if you need players.

BillsFever
07-14-2003, 12:17 AM
I'm signed up for 4 right now, and 6 is probably the limit I can do if I wanna stay competitive in all of them. I also have a pay leauge which is the most important. I'm waiting for another BFZ FF League when they get theirs up and running, and then will probably join one more. My first draft is this Thursday.

I'm determined to win a FF Championship this year. I've been in 7 leagues in 2 years, and have 3 Championship apperances but have lost them all. I'm catching up with our Bills :madcurse:

Mr. Miyagi
07-14-2003, 08:24 AM
I'd love to go in too but I'm already in 4 leagues.

Remember, Yahoo only allows 4 team per user ID. I'm all maxed out now. :(

Halbert
07-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
I'm determined to win a FF Championship this year. I've been in 7 leagues in 2 years, and have 3 Championship apperances but have lost them all.
I've been playing for 4 years now.

First year: no championship appearances.

Second year: two championship games, lost em both.

Third year: 7 of 11 teams made the playoffs, 2 championship appearances, 1 win.

Fourth year: 6 of 10 teams made the championship. 4 wins.

I'd like to say it was skill but frankly after the second year it was mostly luck. That and my secret geek spreadsheet. lol. Most of those league were public free leagues where you have 2+ teams dead after the first quarter so it was no big deal winning that one. My BFZ championship at NFL.com was an unlikely late season surge where my sleepers suddenly came awake - luckily.

Halbert
07-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Can't you just create another Yahoo ID to get more than 4 teams? I hope so because I have 4 already and am planning on adding more with another login ID.

BillsFever
07-14-2003, 05:58 PM
I lost my FF championship last year because I didn't start Amani Toomer. He blew up in that game.

Halbert
07-14-2003, 06:07 PM
btw - you can create another Yahoo ID and join more leagues. I just did it to get into the High Roller league.

Halbert
07-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
I lost my FF championship last year because I didn't start Amani Toomer. He blew up in that game.
After you know what you're doing, which really isn't that hard, it's mostly about luck really.

I mean, the draft is about 30% of your success, but if you simply enter the predraft lists you see on ESPN or CBSSporsline you'll do about 95% as well as you would have in a live draft.

After that, the only thing you control is FA's, and all you do there is pay attention to what's going on around the league and make guesses. You only have about 2 sleeper slots max, after you take care of backup QB, RB, and WR, so you have to be correct to win. Most teams suffer some injury problems and your sleepers get you over that, especially late in the season. Most of your sleepers will fizzle, but if you happen to guess right on a couple you end up with good starters down the stretch instead of the stiffs that don't produce. Most playoff games are close so the few points often makes a difference.

I like to play because it adds another level to an already great game and time of year. When you compete against friends it's that much more fun.

BillsFever
07-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Oh I know what I'm doing, I just haven't had good luck in the championship games. I've never had a team that hasn't made the playoffs yet.

Halbert
07-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Uh oh. Maybe I don't want you to join my leagues. lol.

BillsFever
07-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Uh oh. Maybe I don't want you to join my leagues. lol.

:lol:

I'll just bomb out of my championship game anyway :snicker:

I'm not trying to brag, but I've been a master of the drafts. I don't really pick up many FA's, because there's nobody I really want to get rid of on my team. I usually get value out of every round.

Halbert
07-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Well then I appear to be full of crap. lol. Shutup EE.

BillsFever
07-14-2003, 07:04 PM
EE?

BillsFever
07-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I find the occasional player in FA that ends up starting a few games for me. My starters are usually mostly set after the draft unless injuries or bust occur.

The year I used FA the most was the first league I was ever in with LOG and others. I had like 4 injured RB's on my team, and somehow still made the playoffs :scratch: